Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Well uhh what the gently caress was that

e: i feel the same way about ari aster that i do about yorgos lanthimos in that the killing of a sacred deer was my fav "horror" of 2017 and the favorite was ok, but not amazing and the last shot really kinda made the whole thing for me..same deal here, hereditary was my fav horror of 2018, but this was just ok, and the last shot made the movie

i'll still go see what both of these dudes do in 2020 though.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The premise kinda falls apart if you put thought into it. she's an important part of the festival but they make a big deal about her not coming in the first place, etc etc

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
If you're gunna cut anything just cut down on some of the shots/coverage in the festivals..there's a ton of holding on the characters and then cutting back to a wide shot to sell them reacting to things out of their cultural depth..which is great and all but if we're cutting for time could be trimmed here and there. I wouldn't cut any actual scene..

That title sequence/opener was incredible and the best part of the movie for me (other than the last shot)...that push into the snow and then titles..just stunning. Dead rear end silence in my theater.

I've been telling people it's wicker man, hostel and euro trip mashed up, and I stand by that.

I'd watch it again on netflix just to pay attention to all the early dialouge, I feel like every line of peles has double/sinister meaning once you know.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think if you’re gonna make a 2 and a half hour movie you need more than one three dimensional character

apparently almost 4 hours before we saw it...which is like..what??? i know there's like 3-4 things in the trailer we don't see in the film

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Reading all the script cuts, nothing really stands out as game changing and I'd prolly not bother with a directors cut version if that becomes a thing when this goes blu/VOD

At least now I know what the hell the floating feet shot in the trailer was about. Seems like a smart cut on his part for that.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

RCarr posted:

There’s an Annabelle movie out

savage

my audience was pretty lame..one dude shouted DONT TRUST THEM, 15 minutes in..wish i didn't race out of there to piss so I coulda heard crowd murmurs on the way out.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

EDIT: Unfortunately the movie is not entirely safe if you're a misophonia sufferer. Theaters already suck for me because of the crowd noise of smacking popcorn, crinkling wrappers and people talking over the film.

I had no idea this was a thing, and I want to murder the one person that sneaks in a full shopping bag they need to rummage around in the entire movie, every single movie. Think I can bring an emotional support pet into flicks now?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I usually wait a couple weeks past opening weekend for hype to die down and bring earplugs. It really helps. Misophonia is functionally like having your auditory nerve short circuited to the fight-or-flight button in your lizard brain. Normal irritating stuff, like sniffling, ice crunching, lip smacking and so on goes from a minor irritation to instantaneous unbearable fury, pain and disgust. If you feel like you have to leave the room when someone pops gum before your inner ape takes over and makes you punch them in the teeth repeatedly, you have misophonia.

Edit: Sniffling loving killed me in undergrad because not a goddamn soul would ever blow their nose before, during or after class and just kept on sniffling every few seconds, but attendance was mandatory unless you wanted to auto-fail, so I had to sit and suffer for 4-6 hours a day learning nothing during college because no one knew or cared what misophonia was yet.

Nothing to that degree thankfully. Hopefully, the treatment for that is some sort of calming med like Xanax or just good ole weed cuz I got anxiety just reading your descriptions.

e: Was A quiet place like the best possible movie for you or even worse since silence would amplify peoples bullshit in a theater??

e2: also this has to be the fastest i've seen a movie become multiple memes, ever

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 6, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Of the 6 people in the audience, a couple walked out of the new Chucky remake with about 15 minutes to go..I don't get it either..I mean, yeah, I do get it, that movie was very mediocre but that seemed like a weird stance to take at that point.

I had the inverse happen to me once..I was like one of 3 people to go see tragedy girls in its 3 day run or whatever..the movie is about to wrap up in this batshit climax 5 minutes before the thing ends and these two drunk chicks walk in, sit directly in front of me in the empty theater and just chat about nonsense the entire time remaining, then complained loudly that the movie had ended so soon. Made it all the worse that the last bit of the movie was by far the best and the rest was sort of a slog leading up to it

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's a cultural thing, I've heard it happens in the US but I've literally never experienced it happen in the UK in 30 odd years of going to the cinema. You weirdos also clap the credits like the loving actors and crew can hear. :v:

The only time I've ever seen clapping was at the end of a premiere where there was a q&a to follow with whoever since that's polite, is being seen most likely in a room full of fans in the first place and acts as a compliment to said whoever.

So..I'm baffled by what you said...but then again I've never had people clap for a landing on an airplane either..