Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

interesting. pre-release twitter impressions for indie darlings are just as vapid as the ones for big studio tentpoles. learn something new everyday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's the kind of too clever by half stuff critics do and you can only really get away with it if it's paired with actual analysis, which obviously can't be done in one tweet. we get the joke. it's still stupid.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

bort posted:

Was there anything symbolic about Connie's body? I don't remember much about it, but all the others stand out. I don't see a reason for how Simon was trussed up, but do we get an idea how Connie died or anything?

haven't seen the movie yet but in the script she's dressed the same way as a small boy was for a ritual that wasn't part of the finished movie. the conceit of that ritual was the boy resolving to sacrifice himself to the river and the assembled community begging him not to; basically a theatrical show of will that doesn't result in any deaths. but then connie becomes that sacrifice so it's implied that ritual really DOES require someone to die.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

surf rock posted:

The cult's pair of suicide volunteers are given a yew stick or something to lick before the building is set on fire, and they're told it'll prevent pain and fear. But the non-Ingemar guy starts freaking the gently caress out when he catches fire. I wasn't sure what to make of that. Is the idea that they lied about the yew doing anything and that the cult members are also kind of getting hosed over? Or that the guy regretted his decision to volunteer? That few seconds really confused me since everyone's real committed to this cult stuff and there's no indication of any of them batting an eyelash at literally anything else they do. And this guy probably also did the exchange-student thing; he's been out and about in the world and knows that he's volunteering to die.

the fire sacrifice is the capstone and the thing that only happens once every 90 years, so for everyone except those with knowledge of the ritual it'll be their only time seeing it. whatever objections some might have won't matter since everyone who saw it happen will be dead the next go-round.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Hot Legless Cats posted:

I don't think it's a stretch to see Pelle's interest in her joining them as being relatively innocent - he knows a place where everyone is family,

the olive garden?