Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Saw it. Loved it. Surprisingly funny throughout and beautifully shot. Definitely going to see it again next week. Loved all the choreography of the extras in the background of the shots.

I don't think we are going to see the widespread "this hosed me up for a week" responses that we saw with Hereditary which is ok but I don't think general audiences are going to love it. It may be too slow for the Annabelle Comes Home crowd - I dont remember a single jump scare in the entire thing.

Aster is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors. The man just knows how to wrap up a movie with a hosed up set piece.

are we just going to ignore the bear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

there were a few parts early on in the movie that i thought really nailed the sensation of a panic attack coming on

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

re: that particular sequence:

today i learned that what happened to simon is called the blood eagle which is a form of execution that may or may not have actually been performed by vikings. from wikipedia: The blood eagle is a ritualized method of execution, detailed in late skaldic poetry. According to the two instances mentioned in the Sagas, the victims (in both cases members of royal families) were placed in a prone position, their ribs severed from the spine with a sharp tool, and their lungs pulled through the opening to create a pair of "wings". There is continuing debate about whether the ritual was a literary invention, a mistranslation of the original texts, or an authentic historical practice.[1][2][3]

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Honestly and non-ironically my favorite part of this movie by far is how bad or secretly good the extra direction was. Virtually every scene had like half a dozen people in the background and none of them ever seemed to know what to be doing on camera. So almost every scene has people in the far distance either repeating an action, pausing for a second and then doing the exact same action again or else holding a prop which they are sort of vaguely investigating or obviously miming use of. Like there is so many scenes where you can see someone in the background just hugging over and over and over or like lifting up a wooden frame, rotating it 90 degrees then putting it back down repeatedly.

uh i think that's the point. i think the extras in this movie are very deliberately supposed to be behaving strangely and almost robotic

edit: like it's clear that there is a lot of choreography going on throughout the whole movie

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

The premise kinda falls apart if you put thought into it. she's an important part of the festival but they make a big deal about her not coming in the first place, etc etc

i dont think the may queen needs to be an outsider. her coming along was a happy accident for them

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

Maybe it was from a broken hymen?

That's absolutely what it's from

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

fascinating poo poo!

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Suspira remake sucked rear end sorry to break the news.

:wrong:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Never Watch Trailers

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Is the thread forgetting that Christian gets kicked by Maja near the beginning of their time at Harga while the conga line is going around? He makes eye contact with her, he's clearly intrigued and then he leaves Dani and gets up to join the line.

I watched the movie a second time last night and, knowing his fate, it's impressive how much of a shithead Christian is made out to be throughout the entire movie.

I mean the first time we meet him, there is a very deliberate shot of him checking out a waitress' rear end as she walks away from his table at the pizza parlor.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So you are saying a person deserves to be raped by another person if they show any sort of attraction to them?

Thats hosed up

Did I post that?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why does it matter that he danced with her during a festival when we are talking about how she rapes him?

Sounds like you think he was asking for it

I don't think he was asking for it but I do think the movie does imply that he is at the very least interested in a 16 year old.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

imo it’s a defense mechanism. “Hey everyone, look how NOT SCARED I am!”

i think that's exactly what it is and it is soooo pathetic lmao

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

remigious posted:

At the part where ingmar(?) was wearing vape kids face as a mask a girl stifled sobs and ran out. Her entourage of five people followed, and after they were outside I could hear her loudly crying. That was hosed up. At some point after that the couple behind me left too.

Lol what the gently caress

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

The late title sequence is sooo good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

not just boring - INCREDIBLY boring lmao