Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Gaunab posted:

I think the biggest problem this movie is going to have is it being sold as a horror movie.

That’s my sense. It’s being marketed as a grim horror when half the movie is goofy scenes of tourists stumbling around. If you don’t want comedy, as it sounds like the goon on the last page did, then you aren’t going to enjoy this.

For what it’s worth, I and my audience loved both the comedy and the horror. Someone in my row started crying at the sight of the murder-suicide because, Jesus, what a brutal portrayal of a familiar concept. Those tubes.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

this is the painting over dani's bed at the start of the movie:

Having difficulties remembering specifics but Dani has a whole lot of fairy tale adjacent garb in her apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

turtlecrunch posted:

That scene confused me a little because I didn't understand who/why someone was wearing the other guy's skin and why they reported the book being stolen afterwards (Josh was just taking pictures of it?). Like okay yeah "skin the fool" that's creepy but it didn't seem to serve any particular purpose other than to be disturbing like you said. They could have established that the guy was skinned in the last ritual anyway when they showed all the different corpse preparations. I guess it's a little odd to be angry about creepy shots and events in my horror film but I felt like all the other ones served a narrative purpose.

Also does anyone know if there was any particular rhyme or reason as to which two cultists "volunteered" for the last ritual? Why Ingmar, and who was the other guy? I thought maybe because Ingmar hosed up and his guests upset the attestupa, but I thought that was already paid for by those guests- unless both need to pay for transgressions. That's why Pele was "honored for his wisdom" while Ingmar burned, maybe? But Pele did bring tree pisser.

They report the book as missing afterward because they need a plausible story for Christian and Dani as to why their friend is missing. The same thing happens with the British couple, except, in this case, Christian is too much of an idiot coward to realize Josh wouldn't run off with the book for his research.

Josh's death scene accomplishes a few things. First, it removes any ambiguity about his or Mark's fate. I think you would have some audience members believing Josh/Mark really did run off if they didn't show him getting whacked and the latter as a mask. Second, it further escalates the cult's weirdness. Someone mentioned it on an earlier page, but the audience can maaaaybe accept the ritual suicide as a kind of euthanasia as Christian and Josh do. Then, the audience gets told about the engineered incest, which is far more difficult to stomach. Then we get a scene of the cult committing an unambiguous murder, at which point it is impossible to pretend they are just a bunch of weird Swedish hippies.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think the problem is that Christian is presented as far more sympathetic in the beginning than he is towards the end, and there are a few moments of whiplash that sort of make it feel like the movie is trying to get you to root against him

Like, the basic premise of a guy who feels morally obligated to support a woman he doesnt love anymore because he knows he is her only emotional support during the most traumatic time in her life even though its draining him emotionally and mentally. Like, the opening has Christian pretty sympathetic I think. He can break up with her because they both know the relationship isnt working, but also thereby abandoning her months after her entire family died and only furthering her sense of loss and isolation, or try to stay with her while its gradually draining him and turning him bitter so she has some semblance of something to hold on to. Its a pretty interesting moral quandary.

The problem is that by the end he is just ignoring her, loving over his friends, cheating on her, etc.

I would have liked if the film had stuck with Christian trying to do the right thing in a time when he has no idea what the right thing is

I got a very different sense of Christian. My interpretation was that Christian refuses to break up with Dani less out of a sense of obligation and more because he's a coward who hates confrontation. It's easier to continue on than it is to sever.

We see this throughout the first act of the movie. His friends talk about how he's wanted to break up with her for months before the accident but hasn't worked up the courage. He ostensibly does not tell Dani about his cool trip to Sweden so they don't have to have a conversation about it. When she confronts him about suddenly leaving the country, he accuses her of "attacking him" and emotionally bullies her into letting the issue drop. Then, so they don't have to talk about it again, he invites her along without checking with any of his friends first.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, maybe I am projecting how I would feel in that situation but I dunno,

if he was afraid of confrontation he would not have immediately told Josh he was also doing his thesis on the village. It just would have never been brought up by him until he got caught. It also seems like if he is going for the path of least resistance, staying with an emotionally devastated woman would take way more effort than breaking up.

See, I thought that was a nice demonstration of his tactics and their limitations. He just tells Josh he's going to be doing the same research project without asking him. He's hoping for a reaction similar to what happened when he told the group he was bringing Dani along, that he'll be unhappy but ultimately go along to get along. When Josh shows resistance, putting him at risk of an uncomfortable conversation, Christian runs off and asks Pelle for permission instead.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I read the whole thing about not telling her as him just being desperate to escape and knowing if he brought it up he would be an rear end in a top hat if he left her or didn't invite her. I didn't see it as avoiding a confrontation as much as being between two difficult choices: go and abandon her while she is still under crisis or bring her along and increase his personal sense of burden. Like I saw it as absolutely selfish, but certainly not malicious.

I don't see much difference between the "Christian is a coward who hates confrontation and so he avoids bringing the trip up with his girlfriend" read and "Christian doesn't want to bring up the trip because he doesn't want to feel like an rear end in a top hat" read.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will admit your interpretation is certainly more consistent with his behavior towards the end of the film, but again, maybe I am projecting. I had a girlfriend who was under crisis (not to that extent) and I found myself reflecting back onto the sense of obligation and frustration it evoked especially after it continued on for months.

My interpretation is colored by my experiences too. I've just known a lot of Christians and, as such, his behavior doesn't read as inconsistent to me.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

bort posted:

I get that, but I can't think of a character flaw in Simon that would precipitate a blood eagle. Mark is a fool and Josh had loose lips. But more importantly, what happened to Connie?

The only thing I can think of is that he tried to fly away at the first sign of danger, though that might be a stretch. From the cult's perspective, the only thing he did wrong was to try and disrupt the ättestupa ritual.

In the script, Connie discovers the cult dragging Simon's body through the forest and screams, which is why we have three separate scenes of characters reacting to screams.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

the conjuring universe has made more money at the box office than the terminator, alien, and halloween franchises

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

My recollection is that Christian talks to the elder about having sex with Maja and is presented with the drug shortly afterward. He is told it will “open him up” to new experiences, which he interprets as sex with Maja because she’s trying to catch his attention from the background.

E: And, yeah, broadly agree with the sentiment on the last page.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

aster has been up-front about this film being a fairy tale and, like any fairy tale story, it uses fantastical acts of violence to punish bad behavior

Snow White’s happy ending includes Snow White and her prince forcing the evil queen to dance herself to death. cindarella’s happy ending has the titular character’s doves peck out the eyes of her sisters. i interpreted the end of midsommar much the same way. it’s a happy ending because the monster is “punished” for its moral failings and the heroine is rewarded for quietly suffering through various tests.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 9, 2019

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think the problem with taking this interpretation at face value is that Dani is also kind of a monster and half of the victims did nothing to deserve it

Like, its a twisted story presented with fairy tale logic but I wouldn't go so far as to look at as actually sincere in that presentation

I mean, in a very literal and legalistic sense, yes. Being skinned alive is not an appropriate punishment for pissing on a dead tree and being an abusive boyfriend doesn’t deserve immolation. But the film doesn’t encourage you to think about its events literally. It encourages you to think about them the same way the cult does, as mystical and allegorical. From this vantage Dani isn’t responsible because Christian has withdrawn himself from society’s protection through his impiety.

You could probably make the argument that the film presents the viewer with a choice to accept the cult’s “twisted fairy tale logic” as the price of community or to accept the freedom of the outside world knowing, as Dany knows, that it is cold, disordered, and isolating. Dani ultimately takes the former approach, and for her the ending is a happy one, but the viewer might make another.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I first noted the flower crown and then noted that the hills behind her also seemed to be shifting and teeming. Did not notice any effects beforehand.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

what the gently caress is going on with the last two pages of this thread

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Christian tells his lovely friends that he’s invited her but that “she’s not coming,” presumably because he expects her to chicken out at the last moment, and tells them to pretend they wanted her to come. When she gets into the apartment, Josh says something like, “So, I hear you are coming along with us to Sweden,” to which she gives a noncommittal, self-conscious response.

Pelle then tells Dani “I was most excited for you to come,” but it’s unclear whether he is actually excited or he’s pretending like Christian asked.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 11, 2019

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

pospysyl posted:

Dani's problem isn't that she's abusive or controlling, it's that she's spineless and needy. She is sensitive to other's needs, but she doesn't have the backbone to ever do anything about it. The most obvious instantiation of this is that she's the only one to notice that the Brits' disappearances are strange, but once the villagers give her a menial task she doesn't bother investigating further. Her immediate need for approval and belonging has been satisfied. Other examples of this tendency are when she notices that the villagers are trying to split her and Christian up and she just lets them, her constant passive aggressive commentary, and the way she allows Pelle to manipulate her after she calls him on it. She lacks the ability to stand up for herself and others.

i imagine dani is needy because her entire support network died in an act of horrific violence and the last person she can turn to for help and reassurance is constantly undermining her. christian's inability to fill her need for a human connection is ultimately what sets everyone down the path to destruction and makes dani so vulnerable to the cult

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 11, 2019

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Mel Mudkiper posted:

you really dont like this christian fella huh

i don't mean to harp again and again on the same point but the film is extremely explicit about why dani is the way she is. posts along the lines of "but dani was also bad" strike me as missing the point to a catastrophic degree.

Bert of the Forest posted:

While I don’t have a shot from the film itself, I do have the next best thing - the actual artwork! Or a version of it anyway. I was actually commissioned to do a few art pieces for the film while they were in Utah. They ultimately used a different artist’s sketch for this particular bit, but ya know. It’s a table with junk on it.

They actually already shot that whole scene while they were on location in Sweden but apparently the art department did a poo poo job at interiors so they had to recreate it all when they filmed it again here. Problem was the artist they hired to draw all the sketchbook stuff was unavailable to draw the newly set table and after mine got rejected it was kinda up in the air what their solution would be. If I had to guess, that shot was so quick because they didn’t want anyone to notice they used the original drawing of a different table. :eng101:

This is extremely cool. Thanks for posting. If you can give us more detail, I'd love to know what else you were commissioned to do for the film.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

in his book Danse Macabre, stephen king argues that there are three basic kinds of horror. the full essay is worth reading if you can get your hands on the book, but the basic gist is:

quote:

“The 3 types of terror: The Gross-out: the sight of a severed head tumbling down a flight of stairs, it's when the lights go out and something green and slimy splatters against your arm. The Horror: the unnatural, spiders the size of bears, the dead waking up and walking around, it's when the lights go out and something with claws grabs you by the arm. And the last and worse one: Terror, when you come home and notice everything you own had been taken away and replaced by an exact substitute. It's when the lights go out and you feel something behind you, you hear it, you feel its breath against your ear, but when you turn around, there's nothing there...”

Midsommar falls into the final category for me (though Aster seems to love his gross-out body horror). you aren't waiting for someone to jump out from behind the corner with a chainsaw but there's this gradually mounting sense of unease that is only released through small moments of humor that further underline the strangeness of the cult.

Wolfsheim posted:

This movie got a lot of laughs out of my audience, mostly during Christian being a bad boyfriend or Mark being a dick, but none of that matches the laughter I had in Hereditary during the car decapitation scene (tell me that part isn't shot like a comedy and I will call you a liar)

My audience was petrified in shock and horror at the scene of the accident, but everyone did bust out laughing at Toni Collette's miniature. ("What? It's an objective recreation of the accident!")

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 13, 2019

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

JudgeX posted:

lotta dirtbag boyfriends in this thread

buncha luke p's if you ask me

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the important question is, would this movie be better or worse with terrifying CGI cat people as all the Swedes

you want scooby doo on zombie island

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

are people just not familiar with horror comedies?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Can you explain what you wanted from the ending of Hereditary? The finale, which involves a rapidly deteriorating Peter being stalked by his grief-addled mother and the toxic cult enabling her, is a lot of things but I wouldn’t call it dull.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's weird to call the cult poo poo boring when i found it the most effective part. i said it in the hereditary thread but the movie was so effective the scariest thing to me was a photo album of the cult having normal party devoted to something monstrously horrific.

this was my reaction as well. the cult is scary because of the mundane ways in which it exerts its influence. they aren’t black-clad figures who keep to the shadows but smiling “normal people” who infiltrate your life and pervert all of the social structures you might have turned to. you can’t trust your friends. you can’t trust your family. you can’t trust your support group.

midsommar relies on the same kind of daylight horror. the tension comes from the audience slowly realizing the extent of the cult’s power over those trapped in its clutches.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

RCarr posted:

From the moment of the accident to the moment the casket lowers into the ground was some intense poo poo.

I remember that I was so shocked and horrified by the car accident that I was convinced the scene would cut, revealing it to have been a dream. It wasn’t until Toni Collette started screaming that the reality of the event hit me.

And then it just kept going.