Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the salve didn't work because it's not supposed to. you make them think they won't suffer so the pain is worse, because more pain = more harvest. it's a ritualistic torture-execution, a painkiller would be literally 100% defeating the purpose and would make it a useless sacrifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

a new study bible! posted:

I don't agree with that. It Comes At Night has been shat on by basically every critic alive.

more like poo poo comes at night :hmbol:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so, uh

everyone seems to be kind of taking Christian's participation in the orgy as consensual when... I really didn't 100% get that vibe? like, dude's whacked out of his mind on drugs and being literally physically forced to gently caress

the interpretation of him having cheated on Dani has pretty strong "lmao men can't be raped" vibes and that's awful

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm not really sure we should be applying cultural relativism to ritualistically torturing people to death

Like this movie seems to be a weirdly good litmus test for whether or not someone's kind of unhinged

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the important question is, would this movie be better or worse with terrifying CGI cat people as all the Swedes

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

QuoProQuid posted:

you want scooby doo on zombie island

this is a loving beautiful post

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
On the other hand, Aster's debut short is basically all about how darkly hilarious he finds assrape, so it'd be on brand.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's so weird how i didn't see that ever come up when hereditary was blowing up.

i kinda gather that it's a fairly obscure short except among people who agree with Aster that incestuous assrape is loving hilarious, and people who really don't like Aster.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

If we're talking about The Strange Thing About the Johnsons, I don't recall any incestuous assrape joke (unless we're strictly talking about "oh my god this is so outrageous" type of humor). Unless Ari Aster has multiple short films about incestuous assrape.......

No, that's the one. It's not overtly jokey but it's also pretty clearly meant to be black comedy, and was apparently made primarily as an edgelord joke at the AFI's expense (Aster's explicit goal was to make the worst and most unpleasant thing he could with their grant).

Like, dude seems like a loving cock and I really don't get how I'm seemingly the only person seeing this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

A director made a controversial and uncommercial film? On purpose? With grant money?

I mean responding to the people trying to help you grow as a filmmaker by pranking them with a rape joke is not a fantastic look

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RBX posted:

I'd love to see how people would react to the movie after.

it would have most likely ended Aster's career, to be honest, because i can't really picture gender-flipped Midsommar coming off as anything other than hardcore :mrapig: bullshit.

e: like, frankly, i'm not overly comfortable with how most people took this movie's messaging to begin with. it's pretty clear, in the movie, that you are absolutely not supposed to take what happens to Christian as good/proportionate to his offense/etc. at most it's black comedy where he receives a deliberately incredibly extreme comeuppance for what he did, and i'm pretty clear that you're actively supposed to be thinking "OH MY GOD JUST BREAK UP YOU DIPSHITS" through the whole movie.

and yet... in my experience, "they should have just broken up" is considered a fairly hot take and most people seem to think that what happened to Christian is cool, good, and absolutely proportionate to his dickishness, and that burning people to death for being jerks loving owns.

the way Midsommar is, that's the "edgy feminist" take on the movie and (as much as I dislike it) generally acceptable, but if you flipped the genders, I legit can't think of a movie that's on that level of "OH GOD NO" with gender politics other than, like, The Company of Men or Hardcore Henry.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RBX posted:

I know what he was going for but seeing all the articles and posts about how it's a happy ending is crazy to me. She lost her entire life, and voice and choice in anything. She didn't even really choose him. Just to be with a bunch of people that follow scribbles? This cult doesnt even look coordinated. All the joint screaming looked so insincere.

Yeah, but her boyfriend was a jerk and got tortured to death, so it actually owns that she's going to be kept as breeding stock by a bunch of Swedish Leatherfaces, according to the vast majority of people I've seen watch this movie.