Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Hopefully that wait won't be too long, but as of now the festival screening is being treated as a one-time thing and there are no plans to release the DC to home media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Just saw the director's cut. It's really, really good.

The extended scenes are almost all character stuff. Christian is much more explicitly a gaslighting shithead in this version. Mark is even more of an obnoxious moron.

The scene that Ari Aster said he couldn't stand to cut, where Dani and Christian argue, is restored -- and it's actually the one thing I felt should have stayed cut. Dani's dialogue here felt clichéd to me, not much more than a standard horror-movie "we have to get out of here" speech.

We get an additional ritual, which is kind of cool? Mostly I think I just noticed stuff on my second viewing that I missed the first time.

edit: Ohhh also Christian's conversation at Siv's house is extended, and while it doesn't give closure to the debate over how much of a victim Christian is, it gives significant weight to one side.

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 31, 2019

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Something I was curious about but forgot to watch out for: does Ingmar say or do anything that foreshadows that he is preparing himself to be sacrificed?

It’s obvious for Ulf, from his reaction to Mark pissing on the old tree; that’s where they place the remains of their sacrificed ancestors, and Ulf knows that in a few days he will be there too. It’s explained to Mark that Ulf is emotional because “it’s a big week for him”. But I don’t remember any similar behavior from Ingmar.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Pick posted:

If it's all a metaphor, then it does matter what Connie and Simon "did". If it's just a hosed up thing happening to people, it doesn't. If it's all just a hosed-up thing that happened to some people, then none of these people "deserved" to die, and there's nothing to be read into burning her boyfriend in the bear.
This might be true, were it not for the fact that the Hårga only chose eight of the nine sacrifices. Dani chose the ninth. It’s a hosed-up thing that happened to eight people who didn’t “deserve” to die, and one who did.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

https://www.amazon.it/Midsommar-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B07XVPJXQT

Preorder for Italian 4K UHD release: theatrical version in 4K HDR (region free), director's cut BD (region B), theatrical version + featurette BD (region B). I believe this is the only way to get it in UHD so far. Out November 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Confirming no English subtitles on the Italian 4K UHD.