Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This is a total cop-out but I think you have to know a Dani and Christian couple (or have been in one in the past) for their characterizations to hit home but I think they are both really fleshed out and well-acted. Christian's brand of (spoilers just in case) "aw shucks I'm the reasonable one" gaslighting and emotional abuse is really well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, he is constantly gaslighting Dani into doing what he wants her to do by pretending to be the victim every time they have a confrontation. The fight about the trip especially, where his position is basically "I told you about it why are you attacking me"

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I thought it was that and just trying to leave, which would mean they'd probably tell what they saw

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I thought it was just Pelle and the guys loving with Mark.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I had a thought about the ending. We have talked a lot about the film condemning Christian's selfishness, but I feel like the ending might suggest the same about Dani

The moment that Dani realizes she has been accepted into the family of the commune is when she is crying out after finding Christian cheating on her. The moment the other women start screaming in sync with her she realizes that they are willing to share in her pain because she has become one of them. Throughout the film a crucial element of the film is that the villagers are willing to share in each other's pain and also pleasure as a sign of community and connection. At the end, when the two men in the shack start burning alive and screaming, the villagers start screaming out in agony with them. The entire village is screaming in agony for their brothers, except for Dani. She is smiling, reflecting on her personal joy.

It occurs to me that it might show her level of selfishness as well. She gladly accepted the community taking on her pain, but when it came time for her to join the community in taking on another's pain, she is still caught up in her own personal experience. She is willing to take the emotional support of others, but not willing to provide it herself.

I need to see this again, but my memory of the ending is that Dani is sort of crawling around and wretching and crying as the building burns, and then it cuts to the cultists screaming and thrashing around, and then back to Dani for the last shot where she's smiling, which felt like a continuation of the breathing scene with the other May queens. To me this solidified her place with the cult-- she sacrificed Christian the same as the other members sacrificed loved ones, so she's rightfully a part of their shared grief.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like this new wave of sort of arthouse horror has created an expectation of solidarity, but in reality everyone that gravitates towards these films seems to disagree all of the time on which ones are actually good. Which is fine I think. These movies were made to be polarizing.

Like, I think Suspiria was completely up it's own rear end and I like Midsommar quite a bit. At the same time I'm not exactly shocked that someone would make the same criticisms of Midsommar that I would about Suspiria.

It Comes at Night is my favorite black sheep though. it's the one the most people seem to hate, but I absolutely love it. Easily my favorite one alongside Hereditary.

I think these movies tend to expect individual members of the audience to bring so much to it that they're bound to be divisive. They play heavily on your experiences, so where any random scene might be a gutpunch for me, it might fall totally flat for someone else which isn't really their fault.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I don't think the movie portrays Christian as cheating, he's clearly out of his gourd and didn't consent to any of it. It's all the stuff he does the rest of the time that the movie condemns him for. I actually think it muddles the ending a bit-- seeing him "cheating" (heavy heavy quotation marks on this) is the turning point for Dani, but it definitely shouldn't have been.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

graventy posted:

Actually this was the only point I disagreed with you on. You're basically arguing that he was asking for it.
From my very poor memory in general film order:
We see Christian notice that the girl has eyes for him. I honestly don't remember if we saw him react - did he smile back? Or was he just noticing she was interested. Did he ever go and talk to the girl? Generally speaking that would be a good way to show you're interested.
Christian's friends tease him about it.
Christian seems pretty weirded out by the pie.
The Elders are very angry about the missing book and suspect him, or he thinks they suspect him.
He gets called in to a private meeting with an elder, who tells him that he has been approved to mate with the girl. He says, I think, "okay" in a way that read as "oh good I'm not in trouble keep calm and escape this room" to me.
He drinks the tea the Elder offers. I guess he could say 'no thanks' here but he's still pretty worried about getting into trouble and Christian isn't the type to make any sort of waves. For all he knows it is JUST TEA. Or at the very least, not any more drugged than the rest of their food has been.

At no point would he have any reason to think that any of this was leading towards rape.

She also kicks him in the rear end while they are dancing and he's like "uhhh can I go dance too" and scurries off after them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The apple exclusivity poo poo is stupid, the director's cut is listed as an extra so you can't even download it, it has to be streamed.