Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Saw this today, loved it. HEREDITARY and MIDSOMMAR feel like dark and light sides of the same moon, in the way they handle grief.

I'm really interested in the occult, especially non-"orientalized" occult depictions, things like American folk magic, European witchcraft, etc. That stuff shows you things you find aaaallllmost familiar but puts a creepy spin on them. In the same way, any of us who have been around (or who have been) someone who suffered a major tragedy know how that kind of thing makes the griever felt out of place, uncanny, eerie against "normal" life. I like the way occult fuckery stands in for the mysteries of a grieving heart.

I don't know if this film hit me quite as hard as HEREDITARY, but it hit me in a different way for sure and I really responded to it. I think it's beautifully shot and I think the score and sound design are incredible. It wasn't a mallet to the skull like HEREDITARY but it was such a creepy slowly ratcheting uneasiness. I wonder which will stand the test of time better (if either) (hopefully both!).

Weird question about sound design, mid-movie spoilers just in case: during a scene towards the middle, Josh and Christian are starting to argue about their thesis and later Dani goes to sleep and has a bad dream. Was there a ringing phone-type sound effect behind it, like the sound of the phone from the beginning? I couldn't tell if it was some alarm in my theater or a callback to the phone call, but it was really unnerving.

quote:

Any ideas on what happened to Will Poulter's douchey character? He was killed off screen, but I *think* it showed him half-naked in the temple when the other character was trying to photograph the holy texts. He appeared swollen like he was having an allergic reaction?

They skinned him. Remember how they were playing "skin the fool"? He was the vapin' fool. Someone was wearing him like a mask in the book temple but they show his straw-stuffed skin corpse later in the yellow pyramid.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Thom and the Heads posted:

re: that particular sequence:

today i learned that what happened to simon is called the blood eagle which is a form of execution that may or may not have actually been performed by vikings. from wikipedia: The blood eagle is a ritualized method of execution, detailed in late skaldic poetry. According to the two instances mentioned in the Sagas, the victims (in both cases members of royal families) were placed in a prone position, their ribs severed from the spine with a sharp tool, and their lungs pulled through the opening to create a pair of "wings". There is continuing debate about whether the ritual was a literary invention, a mistranslation of the original texts, or an authentic historical practice.[1][2][3]

:gonk: that makes me, like, existentially nauseous

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

what i love about this and hereditary is the horror is so much worse when it's treated as triumphant.

Very much so, which made me think of how I felt after watching a film like, say, Rosemary's Baby. It's such a deliciously evil way to make horror more horrible

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

a new study bible! posted:

So what's the moral of this movie?

Shared emotional vulnerability forges uncannily strong bonds.