Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vnghdsjmd0

quote:

With their relationship in trouble, a young American couple travel to a fabled Swedish midsummer festival where a seemingly pastoral paradise transforms into a sinister, dread-soaked nightmare as the locals reveal their terrifying agenda.

Ari Aster is back after his incredible debut, Hereditary, which, in my (and at least a few others') opinion, was the best horror film in years, interfamilial grief taken to its most unendurably intense conclusion. Early word on Midsommar, including from Jordan Peele, is that it's every bit as jaw-dropping.

https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/1141178901844111362

https://twitter.com/joshrothkopf/status/1141182589060993024

https://twitter.com/VinceMancini/status/1141181880491839488

I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Aaand I forgot the tag. That's what I get for posting at 2:30 am.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I totally agree the Ehrlich pull quote is ridic, though I'm not sure he doesn't intend it the same way.

Either way - only one or two more days, motherfuckers!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Never related to a character more than Will Poulter. Immediately has a bad trip and nearly ruins everybody else's good time, pisses on something he shouldn't because whatever dude, spends the whole time trying to have sex with women who have no interest in him. I am he, and he is I.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Sorry for caps, I'm copying and pasting my own comments from elsewhere, just gonna drop this all:

quote:

Midsommar does something very unusual for an ostensible horror film, which is that it telegraphs or plainly tells you along the way what is going to happen to these characters (very, very bad things, naturally). if you're familiar with Aster's influences (Rosemary's Baby being a huge one), or Hereditary (a film which features both the machinations of a cult and a high school class literally discussing tragic fate), and you have even a skeletal idea of what Midsommar is about - a group of classmates visiting a pagan Swedish village - you should have little doubt in your mind how this is all going to play out.

what's unusual isn't that it's predictable - plenty of films, certainly plenty of horror films, are that - but rather that it embraces its own predictability and weaponizes it, such that you're left hoping against hope that things will turn out alright while the film keeps repeating to you that, no, these people are hosed. one of Hereditary's shocks was the extent to which things end up completely bad; here, Aster is trying to downplay that shock and face the inevitable horrors head-on, wringing tension from our (and the characters') denial and unwillingness to accept reality or read between the lines of their increasingly nightmarish situation. of course, horrifying poo poo happens, and every time it does, Aster's own POV seems utterly aligned with the Swedish paganists, in defiant opposition of his own protagonists. when one of the village matriarchs rebukes her guests for freaking out after one grisly ritual, it sounds like Aster himself talking to the audience, saying, yeah, of course this was going to happen - why are you scandalized?

that's reflected in the central characters, Dani and Christian, a couple who were on the ropes before an incredible tragedy struck, and whose relationship has been limping along ever since, with neither of them willing to own up to the fact that the love has utterly gone out for them. although frankly, it's Dani that winds up with the short end of the stick, as you can see how thoroughly she's been trained by her lovely boyfriend to deflate any potential conflict no matter how righteous her anger or how valid her emotional needs for the fear that he'll simply wash his hands of it (or her). she's a hostage to his immaturity and dishonesty.

so when they're suddenly thrust into this mind-bending situation where utterly horrific poo poo begins to happen, they (and we) are finally forced to confront a horrific reality, something they're each totally unwilling to do with their own relationship.

what's equally unusual is how often Aster approaches this with a fish-out-of-water comic sensibility. the actor who plays Christian even bears enough of a resemblance to Seth Rogen in his bearded schlubby everyman-ness that it's like watching a Frat Pack film - but with a lot more crushed skulls, vivisected corpses, and ritual sacrifices. the humor - and there are seriously a ton of laughs in this film - compounds the distancing effect of knowing bad poo poo is gonna happen and still hoping it won't. as does the sunlight-and-pastels production design and cinematography, as well as the fact that many of the characters spend most of their trip, well, tripping, on shrooms or otherwise, which puts things at just enough of a psychic remove - is this weird poo poo really happening? - that they by the time they realize the severity of their circumstances, it's far too late. among its other merits, this film really nails the feeling of being just a bit too high to completely handle like few others I've ever seen.

despite all that - would you believe me if I said this film had a happy ending?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Hereditary was very traditionally scary in my opinion. It loving ruled, but still.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Back when it came out, I went back to visit my family as I do every year for Christmas, and when I saw everybody the day of, my cousin tells me that based on my recommendation on facebook, he rented a movie from Redbox to watch with his mom, wife, and little brother. I had called it the best film of the year.

Needless to say, about forty five minutes into Killer Joe, they decided it didn't fit the holiday mood and turned it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Blast Fantasto posted:

Will Poulter freaking out about it being light out and asking everyone to lie down because he wants to lie down is the most accurate depiction of a bad trip ive ever seen

Hahahaha yep.