Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Yeah I’m gonna be really nervous every morning when I get in the Swedish pagan solstice ritual and pull the Swedish pagan solstice ritual curtain closed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Y’all should read Everything Ravaged, Everything Burnt by Wells Tower

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Why would it have to be one or the other

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The horror elements also kind of didn't really do much for me. I liked the cliff scene, which reminded me a lot of the one in Songs from the Second Floor by way of, like, Lars von Trier, but the blood eagle was (besides being done better on Hannibal) just kind of...there? The only other bits I can recall are the guy getting bonked on the head and the face in the bathroom, and I guess the ending, but I wouldn't really call that scary.

It keeps getting compared to Wicker Man, but in Wicker Man the protagonist has a belief system and a perspective and there’s a conflict way above and beyond “weirdos killing people”. This is much more like Wrong Turn by way of Hostel made by someone who really liked A Field in England. It was ok

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Xealot posted:

Yes. It's an anti-anxiety medication similar to Xanax. It speaks more to the complete lack of support Dani is getting in her personal relationships. She needs to medicate to function through her anxiety over her sister because she effectively has no support systems.

Which isn't just because Christian sucks, I don't think. I got the sense that, prior to the murder-suicide, Dani's parents also dropped the ball and underestimated how severe the situation was with their daughter. It seemed like Dani took it extremely seriously, and nobody else in her life did. "She just wants attention," "your sister does this," etc. Her family's death left her alone, but Dani's level of insecurity and lack of confidence in herself or her relationships didn't seem like a new phenomenon at all.

But this may be me editorializing. I don't recall where Dani was from, but it felt very much like a white New England family that prioritizes appearances and saving face over emotional honesty or clear communication. Mental illness is not something a family like that can cope with, or even something they want to admit exists. Basically, if Dani was from a loving and supportive home, I don't think she'd have been with Christian for that long in the first place, let alone would she have been so susceptible to the community ethos of the cult.

Uh the idea that a person with support systems won’t need medication for anxiety, depression etc is extremely what the gently caress

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This movie really should've just been Evening Primrose, but set in an IKEA.

That sounds loving sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

tonedef131 posted:

I’m pretty sure they gave the guys something to paralyze them before setting the building on fire. It doesn’t matter how committed you are to sacrificing yourself, once you start burning the body is going autopilot. The first time they did this the sacrifices probably came running out of the building screaming and in flames so the elder council got together and was like “How do we get these guys to sit still? Maybe give them some of this paralyzing sauce and just tell them it’s a pain killer.”

Also this movie is a horror is the same way Don’t Look Now is. In fact, they are kind of the same movie. Couple experiences unbearable family loss, characters go to a foreign country, weird colors and visuals freak them out, locals offer grief relief, hallucinations, one of them is murdered and the other is stuck with the locals.

This is not a flattering comparison for midsommar