Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RELEASE DATE: JULY 26, WORLDWIDE

Sir, get down from there, that's very dangerous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkux5h0PeXo

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is our latest and greatest Fire Emblem! Wow! Honestly I'm losing track of how many we're up to at this point, we consider this FE16, right? Right. Gosh, that's a lot of Fire Emblem.

If you just want general Fire Emblem discussion or info, check out the General Fire Emblem thread.

STORY

Nintendo posted:

War is coming to the great land of Fódlan. Here, order is maintained by the Church of Seiros, which hosts the prestigious Officers Academy within its headquarters. You are invited to teach one of its three mighty houses, each comprised of students brimming with personality and represented by a royal from one of three territories of Fódlan. As their professor, you must lead your students in their academic lives and in turn-based, tactical RPG battles wrought with strategic, new twists to overcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OwUB8gf5Ac

In Three Houses, you play as Byleth*, a mercenary traveling with her father Jeralt's crew. An encounter with members of the Officers Academy (that also seems to leave you with a strange dragon girl living in your head) leads you to be invited to Garreg Mach Monastery, to teach nobles and commoners alike the art of war. These prospective soldiers are slotted into the three different houses of the Academy, depending on where in the world they're from.

*An avatar, like Awakening and Fates. As such, name and gender are up to you, although we are unable to change their base designs, like different haircuts and hair colors. I mean, as far as we know, but you'd figure they would have told us by now. Also, unlike our previous avatars, this one operates on Silent Protagonist rules. Byleth doesn't talk in cutscenes, but every now and then you're able to make dialogue choices. More Persona, less Pokemon/Chrono Trigger.

Fódlan is comprised of three different nations: The Adrestian Empire, The Holy Kingdom of Faerghus, and The Leicester Alliance. Students from the Empire are slotted into the House of the Black Eagles, students from Faerghus belong to the Blue Lions, and the Alliance students chill in the Golden Deer.
After joining the Academy, you are asked to choose which of these Houses to join as their teacher. In addition to your status as a main character, depending on your choice of House you will be joined by an additional "lord"-type character:

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Heir to the Adrestian Empire and house leader of the Black Eagles.
Dimitri Alexandre Blaiddyd - Prince of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus and the house leader of the Blue Lions.
Claude von Riegan - Future head of the Leicester Alliance and the house leader of the Golden Deer.

In Fódlan there are special powers known as "crests" that are passed down along bloodlines. These powers stem from the Goddess, who passed it on to mighty heroes to defeat the evils that were. Crests can appear as both Minor and Major manifestations of their powers, or they may skip a generation or two - it is random. Still, crests are a sign of nobility and power, and having one grants you status and respect.

Choose your House, and teach your students well. Because while these may be peaceful days, the fragile treaties that protect the peace of the continent are fated to break.

GAMEPLAY
It's Fire Emblem! Grids, blue units vs red units, weapons, magic, etc! If you're a complete newbie, check out gameplay videos or ask questions in here or the general Fire Emblem thread! There are no stupid questions, only stupid posters!!

There's a lot to go over this time, so let's first do a quick rundown on the smaller changes/things to note regarding the normal formula:

quote:

• The stat "Skill" is now known as "Dex"
  • Skills such as Astra, Luna, etc. are now known as "Abilities"
  • Weapon ranks are now known as "Skill Levels"
  • Classic and Casual, Normal and Hard mode.
  • Rewind turns to undo mistakes
  • No weapon triangle
  • Combat Arts that deplete weapon durability when used
  • Weapons aren't lost upon breaking. You can repair them.
  • Use any weapons as any class (some restrictions apply)
  • Free class-switching once a character has unlocked that class
  • No promotion tree
  • No level reset on promotion or reclassing
  • You can recruit some students from other Houses provided you meet their requirements
  • New weapon type: Fist Weapons, that always double attack on Player Phase
  • Canto returns - if unit is mounted, after they take an action they are able to use any remaining movement they have left.
Right. So that's the small stuff, but even some of that needs to be expanded. There's a lot of new stuff this time around, so let's get to it.

Character Progression
This time around, the units you get to use depend on which House you join at the beginning of the game. The units you get at this point are all one of two classes: either a Noble or a Commoner. Then, depending on how you teach them, you can have them take exams and unlock new classes for the character to use. If you want a unit to be a healer, raise their skill in Faith magic to unlock classes related to that. If you change your mind and want them to be a frontline unit instead, have them train in a weapon of your choice, such as axes. Additionally, if you want them to ride on horses, pegasi, or be armored, you need to train those skills as well.

Generally, your skills in the different weapons carry over between classes - an Armored Knight doesn't specialize in Fist Weapons, but if you have the required rank to wield them, then go right ahead and do that. A mage with a backup bow? Sure! Restrictions apply to magic and fist weapons, however. Only mage-like classes can use magic (you cannot have your Armored Knight use magic), and you cannot use Fist Weapons while mounted. Additionally, some classes are once again gender-restricted.

Characters can learn Abilities and Combat Arts as they progress their Skill Levels and unlock new classes. All in all, characters have access to as many as 9(!) abilities at once. Every character has their own Personal Ability that is exclusive to them. Each class has a set of three Class Abilities that are locked to that class, and are replaced if you reclass. And you can choose to freely slot up to five different Skill Level Abilities that you learn as you become better at swords/axes/etc.

Additionally, an entire new system is introduced to combat: Battalions & Gambits. Battalions are soldiers for hire that you can equip to different units to increase their stats, as well as access a new type of attack, the aforementioned Gambits. Gambits can only be used a small amount of times per map, and they have a variety of different effects: healing, buffing, damage, and debuffing. Attacks made using Gambits cannot be counter-attacked, and if you are near allies, these attacks become more effective via what is known as "Gambit Boost". To equip stronger Battalions, you must first increase the characters' Authority skill level. Additionally, Battalions themselves can level up as your characters fight alongside them in battle, increasing the stat boosts they give.

School Life

School is divided into two separate phases: Weekend (Sunday) and Weekdays (Mon-Sat). Every Sunday, you have free time to decide what you want to do - do you want to explore the Monastery and talk to your students and colleagues, find and do numerous different activities, complete sidequests and just enjoy your Hogwarts Simulator? But if you want to focus on increasing your Skill Levels even more, then attend a seminar, or do one yourself! Randomly selected students attend as well and get a sizable boost to the skills the seminar is about. Or if you don't care at all about this school thing, just head out into the field and do some battling! Paralogues (Sidequests with unique maps for you newbies) or simple random battles await you!

Once your students are ready, you can have them undertake Certification Exams, which will allow them to unlock new classes. The characters must have reached a set amount of skill levels before being able to succeed at the exam. In the above screenshot, Edelgard is about to unlock the Brigand class, and since her Axe Skill is at least C, she's guaranteed to pass. Once done, you are able to freely change between classes to suit your needs.

Weekdays, meanwhile, are spent in class. You can give one-on-one instructions to students to further boost their skills, have them do group tasks to have them train together, and set goals for your students to pursue. Once done, the rest of the week will be spent automatically as the students study automatically in accordance with their set goal. Rinse and repeat! Don't want to bother with setting goals or instructing your students, but still want the benefits? The game can auto-instruct your students for you! You don't get the personal customization, but hey, at least you didn't have to do your job. But don't just slack off all the time, because time marches on, and at the end of every month, the next story quest will automatically begin.

At the Academy, how much you can do during the week is limited by your Professor Level. Do your job well and your Professor Level will increase, giving you more time to do stuff.

FAQ

So, is this like, Persona/Trails of Cold Steel/Valkyria Chronicles 2/my favorite anime?
In that it takes place in anime high school? Yes and no. The game is separated into two "phases" - the school phase and the war phase. Once your duties at the school are complete and your students graduate, the game will shift to be more like a traditional Fire Emblem story/game (though some mechanics from the school phase will also be in the war phase). At least, that's how it's been presented to us. Also, anime high school owns and I wish I had gone to one.

Three Houses? Is this like Fates? Do I need to buy more than one game to get the complete story?
Three Houses is one package, and although DLC is likely, you can consider it one complete game in itself. Depending on which House you pick, the story will change as the game enters its second phase - but to what extent, we still don't know.

Oh my god, decision paralysis! How do I decide which House to pick?!
Pick the character on the first image you think is the cutest and side with them. Alternatively, you get to run around and talk to the different students before you select a House, so you can let them sweet talk you into joining them. Or look at the poll up above and let goons decide for you!

Oh my god, decision paralysis! How do I decide what goals I want to set for my students?!
Characters have certain skills that they are good at, and focusing on them will make them grow faster. If you want a "canon" and easy choice, simply focus on these. The characters themselves can also come up to you and ask if they can set their own goals! Note that characters also have a hidden potential waiting somewhere in their skills - even in something they're bad at! If you focus on this skill and overcome their weaknesses, it will eventually "click" for them, and they will receive a huge boost to that skill, as well as unlock a unique ability!

Is there marriage/children/inheritance in this game?
Characters can become romantically involved in the game's second phase, but there are no children or inheritance mechanics.

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I voted for team eyepatch I look forward to helping him get revenge on his enemies

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm still going eldegards especially since I can poach a few faves off claude's

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
soon I shall play the video game "Fire Emblem: Three Houses" and you fools cannot stop me!!!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Im ready to gossip with my fellow teachers on which of my students will glow up in five years. Im placing my bets on Lorentz!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
you can be gay in this one

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Quick question - I thought fists were locked off for both horseback units and for flyers, not just horses?

Anyway, I'm super keen to get started on this game. Gonna go with my boy Claude even though I need to do a Blue Lions and Red Eagles run at some point for Dedue and Hubert.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Went with the Black Eagles, in the hopes of getting to finally have a chance to play as the Empire in a Fire Emblem game without the narrative contorting its spine into a pretzel to justify it like in Conquest.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Gamerofthegame posted:

you can be gay in this one

It's a definite maybe.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mysticblade posted:

Quick question - I thought fists were locked off for both horseback units and for flyers, not just horses?

Pegasi backs are also horse backs, technically!!

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Wait, Byleth's a silent protagonist? I think I missed that in all the other info up to now, and now I'm wondering how that's gonna work with supports.

Looking forward to playing this, though, probably gonna go Eagles -> Lions -> Deer, then circle back around for a second Eagles run if the leak's mention of it having its own internal route split is true.

Shiny777 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 20, 2019

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh yeah, kindly tag all leak info in spoiler bars, thanks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terper posted:

Pegasi backs are also horse backs, technically!!

And wyverns are just horses with scales.

Anyway, I am very excited to teach these teens in an important period of their life and see them grow into well-adjusted and responsible adults!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shiny777 posted:

Wait, Byleth's a silent protagonist? I think I missed that in all the other info up to now, and now I'm wondering how that's gonna work with supports.
They have lines when they level up and stuff so I imagine they'll have lines in supports.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

They have lines when they level up and stuff so I imagine they'll have lines in supports.

I think I'll go blue just to see Dimitri's wild ride.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
All I want is for Lorenz to keep his amazing hairstyle post timeskip.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
From the previous thread:

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

interesting choices for which classes have lancefaire or axefaire

also you can't tell me that the hero isn't just a rechristened myrmidon but male only for some reason

Remember that class-skills can't be transferred. It's possible, or even likely, that multiple different classes have access to the exact same Lancefaire or Axefaire skills. It's not like Awakening or Fates where you go to the class to pick up the skill, it's just a way of controlling what you do when you're in that class.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I’m here for the bow lord who supposedly ends up riding a dragon

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I, meanwhile, will use my amazing people skills to negotiate an end to any tension without excessive bloodshed. :agesilaus:

Failing that, I'll probably run with red team but voted for blue in the poll because I figured red team was going to run away with the vote.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I voted for Blue but it's hosed up the Deers are last

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

From the previous thread:

Remember that class-skills can't be transferred. It's possible, or even likely, that multiple different classes have access to the exact same Lancefaire or Axefaire skills. It's not like Awakening or Fates where you go to the class to pick up the skill, it's just a way of controlling what you do when you're in that class.

If class skills aren't transferable, I figure we'll only get repeats in Tier 4. Cuz otherwise I don't think any of the beginner, intermediate or advance classes we've seen thus far have had overlap

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If the teacher is 5 years late we are legally allowed to go to war

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I swear to god I'm going to use a random number generator to choose my house.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm going to go with the Golden Deer for my first run because I think Hubert and Felix don't look remotely the right age for me to comfortably teach.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

rannum posted:

If class skills aren't transferable, I figure we'll only get repeats in Tier 4. Cuz otherwise I don't think any of the beginner, intermediate or advance classes we've seen thus far have had overlap

All the cavalry and flier classes we've seen have had Move Again (Canto).

You just probably don't get Weaponfaire skills until advanced classes anyway.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

rannum posted:

We have. Paladin and Bishop both have the skill which lets them ignore terrain damage.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm almost certainly going to choose in the heat of the moment based on who I like the most in the beginning but post timeskip dimitri is a very very powerful design

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm still team Edelgard because female Lords are pretty rare overall.

Also pre timeskip Dimitri and Claude look like huge dorks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The contrast in Dimitri is the best part

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shiny777 posted:

In the Treehouse demo at E3, they show a conversation that happens before they begin a Paralogue, and I imagine Supports will be like that, too. A Social Link, basically.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

My decisions will be partially based on who you can poach and how much of a pain in the butt it is. Right now, Bernadetta being a gimmee is a big bonus for the Eagles.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I will not stand for my boy Claude's house being in last place!

Edit: Wait, I'm dumb and can't read polls.

Anyway, gonna join Naruto Claude's house, because he's the best main lord and Golden Deer has the most interesting recruits. Raphael and Marianne!

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 20, 2019

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've been for the Golden Deer since day 1 because loving bow-lord. I'm going to try and nab Mercedes and Dorothea if I can.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Both of the characters I want to gay marry are in Black Eagles so that's my decision made for me I guess

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It’s going to bother me that only one word in the thread title is uncapitalized

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I wrote it in capitalizemytitle.com, blame them or God

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Very hyped for this game, can't believe there's like a month left for it.

Also lets try to not talk about some of the leaks here overall since many people are trying to avoid it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

it's three real estate

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I haven't played a fire emblem game since I think Radiant Dawn so I have no idea why I'm so pumped for this one and chaperoning around anime children. Probably going to have to go with Dmitri for that attitude he grows during the time lapse (tempting as Claude is, growing a cravat)

Also I was kind of disappointed first with a silent protagonist, but then kind of realized most of FE's protagonists have been huge saps that would've done better just shutting up anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
After the initial trailers basically sunk my interest, it's been renewed with the new info that's been revealed recently. Probably will look out for impressions first before deciding to get it.