Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I've reached maximum hype for this game after E3, the Treehouse stream, and reviewing the leaks. It's going to be an agonizing 5 weeks.

I've also decided to choose Golden Deer, particularly after a bit of Claude's background/story was leaked. It seemed like something that would interest me.

Also, quoting from the previous thread:

Endorph posted:

They were probably developed side-by-side, but I wouldn't be surprised if the pre-timeskip designs were intentionally made a bit 'plain' in order to give a base for growth and development from them. Plus the uniforms in themselves kinda limit designs.

Also, big spoilers related to the leak - post-timeskip lysithea does disprove that she 'dies in every route pre-timeskip.' could be that they rewrote stuff or she dies in most routes and the guy was just mistaken about her dying in the golden deer route. it did seem off to me that she'd die in the golden deer route when you could have invested heavily in her and it'd leave the deer down a character. who knows though.
Specifically the leak said that she "eventually" dies. It's quite possible it happens after the end of the game as an unavoidable story thing. My other idea was that someone from each house, that isn't the one you chose, dies during or after the time skip due to the bad guys doing some crest monster experimentation on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I looked again at the mural of the Goddess that has been shown more than once. I'm sure someone has mentioned this stuff before, but I was interested and wanted to pass the time.

It seems there are a lot similarities between Sothis' design and the goddess on the mural.

The headdress and the visible parts of the hair look largely the same between the two. It also seems to me the mural was designed to avoid making too obvious connection to Sothis. By this I mean the hair color could be disguised by the lighting of the scene rather than being an obvious green. The cloak(?) being worn by the goddess conceals the rest of her hair and would hide the distinct, curled look that Sothis has with her hair. The goddess also has much longer hair that conceals the majority of her ears except a pointed tip seen on the left.

And of course we know now that Seiros is the one with the odd sword near the bottom, and not the name of the goddess who has yet to be given a name.

The opening narration of the E3 2018 trailer says that "Long ago the Divine Seiros received a revelation from the Goddess, a gift to help guide the lost." Absent any other information I assume that is the Divine Pulse that Byleth gains.

In a more recent video, I think from one of the people invited to play the game at Treehouse, Seteth says that it was Rhea that pushed to have Byleth become a teacher. And Rhea herself says to Byleth that "you will most certainly fulfill the grand destiny that the goddess has seen fit to grant you."

Of course it's possible that Byleth's power doesn't come from Sothis but rather that Sothis is some sort of agent of the Goddess, but that doesn't seem likely to me.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Interesting speculation. But did you know that the original form of the Goddess mural actually has the Crest of Flames (Fire Emblem), Byleth's crest, in it's center? And that the mural was a more recent addition to cover said mural? I can't find the image anymore, but there's a cool picture of Byleth's crest overlaid over the mural, and you can see how the birds, the dragons, and the goddess herself actually are arranged in roughly the same form of Byleth's crest. If Sothis were said goddess, how come her image is covering up the Crest of Flames? To take up your theory, is Sothis perhaps just using Byleth to get reborn?
I have not seen anything about the mural having an original form. I know it is shaped like the Crest of Flames, but I took that to be deliberately making it to resemble the crest of the Goddess, not to hide something. Sothis does wear the Crest of Flames too.

I don't know about Sothis using Byleth to be reborn. My idea was that Sothis was the source of the crests' and that their creation reduced her power and sealed her memories. At this point I assume the act was voluntary.

Having a direct line to the amnesiac goddess that created the crests puts Byleth in quite the position to decide the future of the continent. There is Edelgard who famously says that the crests are to blame, so that could be a possible reason to oppose Byleth if she opposes Sothis. It's also a reason for other characters to focus on Byleth if he is seen as the next representative of the Goddess like Seiros was, and has influence over what the future of the crests in Fodlan will be.

If this theory is true then the whole incident about the beast using the Crest Stone of Gautier that has been teased could have more significance than just informing the various students' opinions about the crests. If Sothis is the origin of the other crests then she might be able to do something with the crest after the beast has been defeated in battle. I don't think we'll get any hints on this though before release day, unless there are leaks.

This is all fun speculation for me, but it's just speculation. Still, I think with the identity and fate of the Goddess being unknown, and the prominent focus on Sothis as being representative of the game, including on the title screen of the game, there is a good chance they are the same character. Of course Sothis could be merely related to the Goddess but I don't think it's likely at this point.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 7, 2019

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

So Dancer Byleth might be a decent idea.
This actually has me interested.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I'm playing Golden Deer right now and I recruited Dorothea to have another offensive magic user, and Felix since Byleth is the only real sword user on the team. I don't plan to recruit any more students.

I'm playing as female Byleth so I ended up accidentally recruiting Sylvain in chapter 2 immediately when I asked, even though my intent was just to find out stat requirements. In hindsight I wish I hadn't because I benched him immediately since he wasn't who I wanted. I decided I'd rather leave interaction with him to my future Blue Lions playthrough.

I love all of my Golden Deer students and Ignatz is precious, but after getting Dorothea, Felix, Flayn, and Catherine I'm not sure how much use he'll be. He's an archer but his damage isn't so good. In the chapter 6 mission I had him mostly fighting enemy mages because his res was high enough that the spells did little or no damage. I had plans to reclass him as a Thief, and then Assassin, but I don't feel I really need to do it. Claude is the monster archer and I heave Leonie also keeping up bow skills as a Pegasus Knight.

In the end I wish this game had more adjutant slots so I didn't have to feel like I was leaving anyone behind or juggle characters between missions. I'm attached to my precious students.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

How many teachers or other non-student units should I recruit? I've got Catherine, who is crazy good. Thinking of getting Manuella and Hanneman. In general though I don't want to have a lot of extra units since I like my Golden Deer students.

Though on second thought if I have more units then maybe I can avoid getting overleveled so much by spreading the exp around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

I wouldn't mind a game mode that made stat growths non-random like in FE Warriors. In Warriors it was predetermined what stats each character would gain on a level.

Actually I have a better idea: have the game roll all of the stat growths when the game starts. The growths will be re-rolled for each character until the totals at an end-game level have reached a certain threshold. This will make the development of your character unique to the game while still having some expectation that they aren't underpowered by the time they reach the end game.

This could be made an option like difficulty level and permadeath.

It seems like a shame that random chance can ruin your ability to use a character, especially if its Byleth or the lord. I guess that is part of the experience for many people, but this game in particular is one where I valued using my students above all else and I was fortunate enough to have good enough growths all around.