Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I haven't played a fire emblem game since I think Radiant Dawn so I have no idea why I'm so pumped for this one and chaperoning around anime children. Probably going to have to go with Dmitri for that attitude he grows during the time lapse (tempting as Claude is, growing a cravat)

Also I was kind of disappointed first with a silent protagonist, but then kind of realized most of FE's protagonists have been huge saps that would've done better just shutting up anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

lurksion posted:

Also I mentioned this before, but her eyes are waaayy too far to the side of her face. That's not human.

Rather, reptilepersonteacher

E:
From the FE thread

from some videos on the JP site
MB
FB

How did I miss this earlier, what the hell? An outfit's not going to save that.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Been playing for ~15hrs over the weekend on flights and other stuff and I'm really enjoying things. I'm playing the Lions and really enjoying the dynamic of half the characters there having a common childhood. Felix is my favorite edgelord. Also Sylvain in particular I thought would be a one-note tool but he's got some fun support conversations and is about my top character at the moment (even if he continues to be a one-note tool in the main story but w/e). I really wanted to make him a dark knight or something but his mag's stuck at like 7.

Standout so far for me has been the monster fights -- just barely scraping through the "ambushed by 6 monsters actually 9 monsters actually 14 monsters" paralogue has been about the most fun I've had in a tactics game since Radiant Dawn defend maps.

Also I'm pretty pleased there are characters who appreciate the "flippant" dialog options because I am a child and can't help myself from selecting the funny option even if it means number go down.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Yeah Felix is great, I'd been running him on a generic edgy swordsguy build until a chapter where he beat down an entire monster hp bar in one round with some trashgauntlets picked off the floor. Now I'm slightly more interested in punching things.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

DrManiac posted:

What level am I supposed to do tales of the red canyon at? It says 15 but the monsters can easily tear my frontline apart because they hit for ~20 damage twice. I can burst down like, 2 wolves but not them plus 3 of mobile birds that tear up by rearguard plus the reinforcements. my mc is level 17 and the rest of the crew is 14-15

I did this at around the same level and it was the most difficult thing I've seen in game so far (used all the pulse rewinds I think) but also extremely fun. strategy the hawks do practically nothing to high defense units and can be distracted with one tanky guy until you're ready to deal with them. For the wolves (and any hawks near the backline), gambit abuse ensures they don't attack anyone you don't want them attacking on the enemy phase.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Also that Heron Cup or whatever it is dance tournament is not at all guaranteed... My beautiful Ashe not only managed to lose, but lost to Raphael of all people. Can't even be mad, best of luck to that doofus in his future dancing career, but... still. (Ashe was 16 Cha but in retrospect maybe choosing him was not a great idea when there's a story event like two days later where he begs anyone to teach him to dance... ungrateful bastard)

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Taear posted:

Manuela should tell you how much Cha you need but I get an impression that only women can win it? I think dancer might be woman only.
It's a bit poo poo how many classes are gender locked, why can't you be a brawler and a woman, it's bollocks.

Yeah Manuela said 13 so maybe it was just unlucky. You mean only player-controlled women can win? Because it was definitely npc Raphael taking home the prize (and Dorothea zero votes? I don't even know)

I seem to remember screenshots of someone actually turning Raphael into a dancer though so maybe that's just canon.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Is there any benefit to playing gotta-catch-em-all with the other house's students? I've only poached one or two characters because that's all I can see myself realistically deploying - is there some reason I see people picking up like 7+ extras?

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I think Casual's just there because a lot of people are scared of permadeath or have the impression from the older games that Fire Emblem = reseting the game a hundred times. Being able to tell prospective players they don't need to deal with that if they don't want to is helpful.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Has there been any word on a Lunatic mode? I remember hearing it was D1 DLC but haven't seen it anywhere.

I'm on chapter 16 after having turned the Blue Lions into the masterclass mounted/flying deathknights they were meant to be, and while enemies are hitting harder, between everyone having Canto, Stride being a thing, and spammable Fortify, things are starting to look a little busted.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Mega64 posted:

I've been going relatively smoothly so far on Hard Classic, but I've hit my first brick wall and I'm completely stuck.

Should I pair Felix up with Leonie or Lysithea?

I have both Felix and Lysithea as mortal savants and it will never not amuse me having Felix's edgy magic samurai image undermined by having a shorter, goofier person in the same outfit tailing him around. (their support is okay but I think I'm actually going to go with felix/annette)

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Just beat Blue Lions route, about 60 hours because I spend way too much time dicking around in menus and optimizing loadouts

Kind of disappointed with the direction the story took. I know I really shouldn't expect too much depth out of a Fire Emblem plotline but the character writing had me hopeful. Dimitri's come-to-Jesus moment is pretty unconvincing and then the rest of the game from that point on becomes every other FE beat-the-evil-empire plot. And it really had that feeling of being a sidestory or alternate route sort of thing... None of the major questions answered, no clear motives.

I guess it's pretty clear BEagle route is the "real" story though so I'm glad I didn't start with them, at least.

Those last couple maps of part 2 were really fun gameplay-wise though, the latter half really ramped up the difficulty.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

indigi posted:

oh also I’m in my second month and could use some recruiting tips. most of the people I go after want my faith or magic to be higher and I’m not sure how to raise those

You can raise the protagonist's levels in faith/reason by getting faculty instruction from the relevant other professors or the weekend seminars. MAG's a bit of a crapshoot but being in a magic class raises growth rates. Although mostly I guess the correct way to actually recruit people is to shower them with flower arrangements / food / gifts to reach B support, which drastically lowers the requirements.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Yeah I think Annette is the unit who went the most from "goofy kid" to "pretty drat cool" during the timeskip. (It also helps that for me post-timeskip she finally found enough speed to start doubling everything at Lysithea levels of destruction)

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

The collar is unforgivable.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

What's the deal with these "house vs house" tournaments having so many random mooks? I just did the intermediate lance one and there wasn't a single named character!

...Did you poach all the named characters?

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Yeah I had good luck with Lethality/Asassinate on assassin/bowknight Ashe. His strength wasn't good enough to really hurt anything without a crit so all his utility was was weakening up fighter-types. And if they just happened to instantly die, then, great. I think those two abilities are better on mediocre units than people like Petra or Felix that are murdering people anyway.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Yeah the cubemapped backdrops for support conversations and a lot of post-battle conversations are pretty inexplicable. Like they obviously have all these 3D environments, is it really too hard to set a cutscene in a physical space vs a 2D backdrop? Or at least get them looking decent? When not playing on the built-in screen those things get very obviously pixellated too. Makes me miss the hand-drawn backdrops.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Well that about sums up Ferdinand: really tiresome

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I ditched Annette's rally skills pretty early. With Fiendish Blow there wasn't much that was surviving getting doubled by her and she crits a ton as well, so I figured I'd just build her for offense. It'd be hard to justify building her into a rallier or whatever with her default pitiful mage movement and it seemed easier to just turn her into a deathmachine vs a flier.

It was fun bringing her into the paralogue with her dad where you're supposed to not touch the guards or something, only for her to take down four beefy dudes in armor all in the same enemy phase with Nosferatu.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I think my biggest gripe is the pacing post-timeskip, mainly because I loved playing through RD and seeing all the PoR characters get reintroduced and finding out what they'd been up to was really fun, whereas this game sort of stuffs them in your face story-wise, all immediately. Like the new designs and voice changes are great, I just wish the story was the same way. It feels like the characters have developed but you only get that character from the support conversations and stuff and meanwhile the main storyline is all "please speak from left to right and express your dominant character trait to the camera, okay now we'll go sack the next fort."

The combat seems fine to me though. There are still spots that have to be played like puzzles (like getting ambushed and having to figure out what combination of gambit/rescue/dance will get out of it) and then the monster fights. I wish all the endgame monsters were Red Canyon scale beefy though.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Basically, I'd kill for a "return of the Greil Mercenaries" style intro for like, the Black Eagle Strikeforce or something

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Wonder what they would've put in all those monastery spots that are perpetually blocked by pushcarts or impassable knee-high fences.

I guess there's still a chance the "additional story content" DLC covers up some of those main line story gaps. Certainly wouldn't mind paying for it.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Wow I guess I'd completely missed the weapon upgrading system somehow, after having completed two playthroughs now. I thought it was just "use rock, get +1 mt" and then there were some relic weapons that required exotic material from boring grindbattles.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Wow, the Felix/Bernadetta paired ending is pretty bleak -- Rocky marriage and Felix tries to flee to the Oghma Mountains. Bernadetta goes into seclusion, never to be seen by the public again. Felix starts signing his name "Count Varley." Congrats! The end!!"

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Nah, that sounds right, this was on the Edelgard route. I just found it incongruous that the "things got better" followup to Felix fleeing the honeymoon for training was Bernadetta vanishing and Felix changing his title. BL one sounds nice at least

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I'm trying to figure out which professor I should've recruited because every third scene in this golden deer run, there's some out-of-place generic dude in a full face helmet lurking behind my super sentai team. Voice-acted too, surprisingly. There's a ton of lines in this game I'm sure 99% of players will never see.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

I'm on chapter 7 or so and I suddenly was able to recruit Hanneman and Manuela on my team without ever really interacting with them too much, which was really weird. Maybe they're based on level? Because I didn't even have support level C with either of them and no skills that were B on Byleth besides maybe Swords and Authority

I just haven't recruited people I don't plan on using... No point dragging Manuela and Hanneman and co into another 0 sally 0 victory ending so my roster is ~16 people. Only professor I need is Shamir, who's currently trying to convince me that I should've turned Raphael into an assassin.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

It'd be hard to beat the Radiant Dawn defend chapters for me. Especially the ones playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wg5o3JNcrQ, that's pretty peak FE.

Wish that game had the huge amount of support conversations and character development that Three Houses does. Fire Emblem does feel a lot nicer with a smaller roster.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

SolarFire2 posted:

I'm throwing up my hands and asking for help because I don't understand how the Battalion mechanic works. It says I've unlocked so and so, but they don't appear in my menu to hire. They do appear in my menu to dismiss. What is happening?
You can use Inventory -> Battalions to equip the battalions. The menu at the battalion guild is the "barracks" of battalions that have been hired but not assigned to anybody (and are therefore sellable). When you complete a prologue and earn a battalion or whatever, it's not unlocking them for hire, just dumping them straight into the inventory.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Zoran posted:

I can report that you gain experience way, way slower on Maddening difficulty. It seems like it's tuned to negate the statue EXP bonuses and then some; I have +20% right now, and as of the end of Chapter 4, I’m a few levels behind where I was on my Hard run, despite the fact that most maps have a few more enemies.

You also get 4 less skill experience from weekly studies (+20 instead of +24 for neutral goals), and I think the gains from group tasks and choir practice are slightly reduced as well.

This seems like a good thing. I'm kind of annoyed that NG+ makes things so much less challenging even when you don't opt to spend renown (battalions, statues etc) and I'd feel weird not picking NG+ anyway. Sounds like it'll be nice having a mode tuned around having those perks available.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I wish I'd gotten the Seteth/Bernadetta paired ending because their entire support tree of Bernie making self-insert Indech fanart is golden.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

sweet loving lord the annette/gilbert paralogue is a nightmare :psyboom:

surrounded by enemies who'll kill annette if she so much as blinks (telling annette/gilbert to "wait" triggers their AI, you have to end turn from the menu), going too far in any direction that isn't a straight shot to annette triggers the guards to murder her, and once you get to her, the game spawns a literal army of reinforcements right outside, who will rush in and cut her down.

If you're using Annette at all, she should be able to obliterate all of the armor guys standing around in that corner during enemy phase by equipping Nosferatu.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I thiiiink so because even after I had gotten all the non-Byleth characters to A-Rank each other some were still getting hearts appearing over their heads and others weren't. So there's always it seems like, a highest tier for certain pairings that will become unbreakable after a certain point in grinding. Which doesn't matter much in difficulty settings where you can't keep doing auxiliary maps over and over I guess, but it's something to keep in mind. So if you're hoping Ingrid ends up with a Golden Deer boy, but then you see that she and Ashe are still sending hearts to each other like emoji Divine Pulse that poo poo and send them to opposite sides of the map.

Oh, that explains a lot. I spent the last third of the game in my most recent run forcefeeding everyone only for Linhardt to end up a bachelor at the monastery and meanwhile Lysithea is trapped in the hell that is married to Lorenz.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Finally no-lifed through all the routes. Played BL->Edelgard->GD->Church, which I think was the right order. And while this is probably the most endearing character writing I've seen in any game this side of visual novels, man is the main plotline all over the place. Random character thoughts:

- Ferdinand has the best supports is pretty swell for someone who insists on yelling his name for the 300th time I select him
- Is there any explanation as to what Judith's deal is? The whole GD route in general feels underwritten with her showing up and chilling around the monastery everyone calling her a "legendary hero" without an actual legend, and Claude the "master tactician" whose tactics are identical to Seteth's and whose only schemes seem to involve laxatives
- Catherine I guess is just supposed to be evil? after finishing that Ashe/Catherine support and her reason for joining the knights is so she can claim a Nuremberg defense and never actually think about morality?? Kind of wish that A support, like the B support, also ended with Ashe decking her
- Linhardt is a character I thought I'd like before the game was out but he's sort of negatively grown on me with all his supports clearly making other people uncomfortable. Marianne/Linhardt is nice thought and his B-support with the protagonist is really humanizing. And I appreciate that the game lets you conquer Fodlan and get appointed pope-monarch, Arbiter of All Souls or w/e and then you can turn around and gay marry this guy whose greatest ambition is to lie under a tree. Nice contrast to all the powerspouse endings I guess.
- Game is nice and surprisingly non-creepy about romantic endings where they wouldn't make sense. And then Dorothea/Hanneman makes sure to tell you about their huge secret family okay I guess
- and if you thought entering Catherine in sword tournies was unfair, entering Hanneman in black magic tournaments has Annette and Marianne and all the kiddos plinking away with Wind or whatever and meanwhile Hanneman's rocking Ragnarok, what a legend
- How on earth do you support (recruit?) Rhea? Never got so much as a C-level offered, even the two runs I gave her flowers or Sothis anime figs from time to time vs deliberately pissing her off

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Yeah I ran pega-Bernie last run and it was great. She wasn't really doing anything outstanding without a brave lance, except when enemy fliers showed up. Having someone with 9 move range and another 3 on bow to shoot down pegasus reinforcements rules

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Yeah I don't think anyone really thought a JRPG pope figure was going to be the most upstanding character but I still wasn't prepared at Church ending where she declares that she's blood-related to both your parents, calls you "mother," then dies. Been thinking, you could probably replace the whole church of seiros with a vampire blood cult and it'd come off as more overtly villainous maybe but somehow /less/ creepy.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

in my mental model of Garreg Mach, Seteth is one of those office workers who look like they're putting in 60 hrs/wk but at least 50% of that time is him at his desk scratching out sideprojects (in this case, The Illuminated Lives of the Saints as illustrated by Bernadette)

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Is Retribution actually useful? I never used it really, it kind of seemed like with Close Counter, there wasn't much uncounterable stuff happening on enemy phase. or is it to like, screw over assholes on ballistae?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

So, starting my Maddening run without NG+ and I see that the DLC also includes a bunch of stat boosters under Byleth's bed for some reason? If I use these am I endorsing the new pay2win model or something?? this feels dirty but then again I had to reset the prologue like 3 times