Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm still team Edelgard because female Lords are pretty rare overall.

Also pre timeskip Dimitri and Claude look like huge dorks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Have they gone into what, if any, mechanical customization we can give Byleth? Do we get the high/low growth system from Fateswakening?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

It seems like they can just learn from other professors like the students can learn from them, and that's the customization? They haven't said anything about growth customization.

Yeah I was just curious if all Byleths were going to be the same with the same strengths/weaknesses/aptitudes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

To be honest this looks like it’s gonna be the most atypical game of the series so far, not that that’s a bad thing since it all LOOKS interesting but Fates looked interesting too, so it’s hard to say but probably just wait for reviews as we get closer to the release date.

Eh, we just had Echoes which deviates from the standard FE formula more than Three Houses does imo (even if it is a remake).

Like is any of the first person stuff coming back? Or the dungeon diving? Or the weird way spells work?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

rannum posted:

Oh they list more on the eshop with estimated release dates
-Wave 1 is Officers Academy Uniform (Byleth) on release day
-Wave 2 is "Additional Auxiliary Battles+" and "Additional Items+" with both listed for 10/31/2019. "Additional Auxilary battle maps, helpful in-game support items and more"
-Wave 3 "Additional Quests+" and "New Attire+" both listed for 12/31/2019. "Additiona lquests & costumes ... plus, another free update."
-Wave 4 "Additional Story Content+" on April 30th 2020. "Discover new story content, with additional playable characters ,locations and more." with another note for another free update.

fourth house baby!!!!

Wow hey guys its the Purple Mice! They've been standing juuuust offscreen the entire time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

i mean the additional story content in fates was just 'what if the kids... were sad??' and that technically had new units, new locations, etc. i wouldnt put too much stock into it being anything earth shaking

esp. since the entire thing is only 24 dollars. obviously certain things in it cost more or less but if you break it down by fourths its 6 dollars

Its not an equal breakdown though. Phase one is only a costume for Byleth while other phases have multiple costumes plus other stuff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

yes i literally said that. my point is that if it was extremely significant itd probably cost 15-20 dollars and i cant imagine the other stuff only costing 2-3 each. it probably costs like, 10.

Yeah I misread your post, my apologies.

Comparing it to Fates DLC, it looks like roughly the same price as Map packs 1+2 which had six classes, 16 maps and one new character. So roughly that level of content would fit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Can't you just make these yourself? I'm still a bit unclear on what exactly is going on with weapon levels in this game and how classes are connected to them but it seems like there's not many restrictions on that front

You need proficiency to qualify for the classes, if your Axe level is too low you can't take the test to unlock Warrior for instance. Classes themselves also push you towards using the class weapons because you get bonus Wexp for class weapons and classes have innate skills that sometimes benefit certain weapons (like brawlers have a skill that boosts punch weapons, you can't transfer it and lose it if you change to a different class). Also mounted units can't use fists and only magic using classes can use magic.

Otherwise you can make whatever weird combos you want work.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

i have no clue who camus is

The dude who was somehow popular enough to be a throughline of the first 3 FE games. Started off as your standard 'noble enemy general', then lost his memory and got a hilariously dumb mask when he joins up in Gaiden.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I mean even they fed you later recruits though, like late game prepromotes in case your dudes didn't turn out well.

It'll be interesting to see if this just means 'we introduce all the characters early and you have the whole game to build your whole army up' or that they're just introducing everyone into the story at the beginning so no one just plops in like Say'ri in Chapter 14 but mechanically you still recruit people as units later.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

i mean the teachers exist, and are probably the late-game prepromotes, but they're obviously around for the whole game.

Yeah.

Though even with that and the students the roster is going to be tiny on any given route. Which makes sense if they're commiting to giving all characters more development.

But we're looking at like a max of 20 people total per route. Which means deployment is going to be 'everyone on every map' or possibly way more limited than usual.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

I'm getting 27 if we count all the teachers and the fact that you can grab a couple students from other houses, which'd put it at about FE8's roster size? Obviously some teachers will or won't join but also they probably will introduce some new characters after the timeskip, and I doubt we've been shown literally every character in the game. High 20s/low 30s seems reasonable. The small roster size would also allow them to write different supports for pre/post-timeskip.

I was assuming:

Byleth
8 students per house
2 'stolen' students
5 Knights
5 Teachers

Which excluded Jeralt, Cyril and Rhea since I have a feeling they won't be playavle.

Stealing a few more students bumps it up a bit though, still not entirely clear what the restrictions on that are.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

i feel like there is no hard cap on grabbing other students whatsoever, its just that the requirements are high enough that you only have time for a couple. keep in mind the school phase is only like 10 chapters.

Yeah, we know the heads of house and their direct retainers are off limit but it would make sense the rest would be up for grabs if you can finagle it.

I wonder if they'll have supports in routes that aren't theirs or if they'll be like captured enemy units in Fates and just fill out the roster. Supports would have to be really vague and not touch on a lot of stuff or have a ridiculous amount of permutations if you grabbed someone on a Golden Deer route vs the Black Lion route especially if you're right and there are different ones post time skip.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

I guess what I mean is not being the central character, like obvs byleth has a story role. I want the story to be more about the three on the box and byleth is just a supporting role

Considering the whole 'choose a house' aspect, having the game not focus on the character making the choice would be an odd departure.

Also we know Byleth is having prophetic visions and interacting with a dragon-girl/god so its very unlikely they are a supporting character.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

The major doubt that you can customize Byleth is that their faces actually show up in cutscenes. Corrin and Robin very deliberately were hidden in cutscenes.

Yeah they did a lot of first person shots, and for Robin had a few where the hood was pulled up to hide all the facial features.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Some characters look really pigeonholed while others are wide open developmentally.

Also I feel real bad for the ones that lack hidden talents and crests. Mostly because some of the crest effects are loving crazy powerful.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

you guys figure we'll have growth customization for Byleth? Classes are already pretty obvious with how they're gonna work

It doesn't look like it since none of the reviews have mentioned it, and Byleth's base stats and proficiencies are pretty heavily weighted towards a subset of physical weapons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Its still super weird to me we've confirmed that men get exclusive access to Dark mages/Bishops and Mercenaries/Heroes while women only get Pegasus Knights. Especially after Fates finally got rid of gender locked classes and we saw the traditionally men only warriors were open. :(

Were any of the Master Classes gender locked? I haven't had a chance to review the video.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Four routes was so obvious that I'm surprised it counts as a points for the leaker. There's always some sort of true/alt route.

The leaks that have mentioned the fourth route have said was another Edelgard route and wasn't the traditional 'best/true' route like Revelation or w/e.

We'll see if that actually pans out.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, its entirely possible some A ranks might be romantic. We know they're playing with stuff like some supports having multiple conversations per rank, limiting some people to B rank supports etc so having romantic supports be represented in a new way wouldn't be crazy.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah the Fateswakening and Geneaology pairing stuff rocked because you could have a bunch of weird pairings between odd couples instead of just the safest and most boring poo poo ever like all the other FE games.

Especially if only Byleth having S supports means we have FE6's 'only Roy has paired endings' crap.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I just don’t know what a player avatar adds to FE. Let alone a silent one.

Kris, Robin and Corrin were all basically just customizable characters. They let you build your own bespoke unit with its own strengths, weaknesses and classes and let you give them a slightly different look. All of that was fun and good, especially since they were all still characters just like the rest of the cast in terms of writing and story.

Byleth seems to be leaning in harder to the 'self insert' side by having you select dialogue and making them silent... but its also throwing out all the actual customization you could do which seems insanely backwards

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

The customize aspect probably stopped being a thing for future games since Heroes, Warriors, and Smash exist to canonize the appearance.

Even the mechanical customization is gone though which is super weird. Byleth having set bases, growths and proficiencies is really dumb if they were trying to make them a self insert.

Why take that away? They can still be whatever class, they just suck at a lot of stuff now and feel less unique.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

probably so they can have actual cutscenes that byleth takes part in instead of everything being first person
(this is also the stated reason the twins in fire emblem warrior aren't customizable )

I'm talking about being able to pick stuff like Boon and Bane or favored classes. Byleth would still be Byleth if they had a better magic growth but worse strength growth, you'd just be able to make them a good mage in game instead of a lovely one.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I guess that stuff just wasn't super interesting for me. All those games already had fairly customisable characters with class swapping and all that. If Robin had a set design and growths and all that I don't think i'd like them any less.

I don't think its like super important, but I found it fun to have a character you had that could be radically different than the one your friend chose to have or that you could do something wildly different with run to run.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

It is interesting how Three Houses has abandoned basically every idea Fates had, mechanically. The only thing that really seems to be here is the idea of a homebase, but it's implemented so differently.

In general that seems to be a thing every time the series jumps consoles? Like FE6 aggressively abandoned a ton of the unique mechanics from FE4/5 and then 7/8 iterated on 6. 9 went in a new direction with a whole new skill system, Biorhythm, Laguz etc which was iterated on in 10 as its sequel then abandoned with Awakening with Fates iterating on Awakening. The remakes kinda are doing their own thing but serve as proof of concept for stuff that got fleshed out later like Avatars, class change, Gambits etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
And Three Houses kept personal skills from Fates along with some other stuff like the whole multiple path concept.

I don't think its like a clean break or anything. I'll bet they mine up some stuff from Fates in future titles, like how Awakening brought kids back from Geneaology.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I mostly just wanted the stat backpack bit gone. Combo attacks are cool and fun, but Fates doubled down on making the most boring and bad part of Pair Up the mechanically best bit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Minus Green posted:

See, one of the numerous problems Fates had was that it totally glossed over worldbuilding for countries not named "Hoshido", "Nohr", or "Valla". They didn't even give a name to the continent it takes place on...

That said, there's those three, plus the island the Rainbow Sage lives on, and I think the place Izana came from was its own country also?

Ice tribe was also a subjugated nation under Nohr and Fire/Wind tribes were allied with Hoshido.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Looking at the Master Classes I'm really hoping there are some hidden ones because forcing every character to grab really high levels of Flying or Riding unless they're a punch dude or magic lady is incredibly weird and lovely.

There's also just a gap in a lot of 'obvious' promotion paths which is weird. Like no male class gets Reason and Faith at Master level even though up until then basically every magic class does and you have to do a hard pivot into 'also Lances and riding(and you're stuck with just healing or attack magic now)' or 'also Swords(but only if you just want attack magic)' for any of your magic dudes. And women can just pound sand if they want to punch stuff. Or the lack of any support for the Axe/Brawling/Bow archetype from low levels.

Weapon distribution in general is super weird. Only one class with Faith/Bows/Brawling/Armor apiece, only two with Axes/Flying and even only three with Swords but four requiring riding and five requiring lances. It feels like it really pidgeonholes kids who have bad riding aptitude.

I feel like I'm just missing something with the class design.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 18, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hellioning posted:

What I'm hoping for is that you're not expected to have a team full of Master Classes and that Advanced Classes will be good enough for the endgame.

The reviewers and people with early access are saying they're all definitely a tier up from the Advanced classes with much higher bases and better skills :shrug:

I guess we'll see once more people report on the endgame.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

d3lness posted:

Are there any spoiler free must have tips for Three Houses? I'm still fairly new to the series (Awakening, Conquest, Shadows of Valentia). I've been told to level the base classes to 20 before upgrading and ignore the free advanced class in your party early on, but I'm wondering if there is anything else newbies should keep an eye out for.

Ironically those tips are not relevant for Three Houses. Characters don't reset levels upon class change/promotion and you don't appear to have any traditional early game prepromoted character.

Otherwise there are so many changed mechanics we don't really understand yet that I don't think anyone has like a list yet.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The reason that advice is so popular and ubiquitous is because its a reaction to the way a lot of new players played the game where they basically solo everything with Marcus and then get curbstomped later when none of their other dudes can contribute and they missed a lot of the potential replacements. So they internalize the 'don't rely on the prepromote' and it becomes a mantra.

I am still scarred from playing FE7 as an idiot 12 year old who relied on Marcus waaaaay too much and got screwed when my level 7 Eliwood had to do his promotion map.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 19, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The three big things that stand out about f!Byleth's outfit are the torn leggings, the weird stomach window and the way the pants are cut to look like they're too small and she can't quite button them?

It just kind of looks like a mess.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
So hidden talents get your characters skills once unlocked. We know confirmed ones are

Ferdinand unlocks Seal Speed after blooming his talent, Bernadetta unlocks Pass and Edelgard gets Black Magic Crit +10

According to some dude streaming his hard mode playthrough.

Man the kids with no crests or hidden talents got screwed huh.

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 20, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Coucho Marx posted:

I know it's spoilers, etc., but got a link to that stream?

They aren't streaming currently I don't think, I got the info from some screenshots they posted to 4chan which got crossposted to Serenes and Reddit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

d3lness posted:

Why are people putting the ! in FByleth?

Holdover from an old way to denote something about a character popularized in fan communities.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, just remember most of the current leaks are coming from someone doing the Edelgard route so it may seem things are more skewed than they actually are.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Honestly I have way more problems with the Avatar being the only character able to be gay than like the options available for them. Same sex paired endings are more interesting to me than any potential Byleth romance. But I’m also actively not into the player avatar as a concept so maybe that’s to be expected.

There are a few non Byleth same sex paired endings.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also does Byleth even really count as an Avatar? Like you make choices in game because they're your viewpoint character, but you piloted Roy in the same way during chapter splits in FE6. Its not even like you can customize them in any way this time around beyond picking if they're a man or a woman.

Like are we just saying we want the next game to be totally linear? Because I'd personally be fine with that, its honestly getting a little exhausting to have to play each game 3+ times to see the full stories and characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
So how does the game determine which paired ending you get if supports are unlimited? Do A ranks lock out other A rank supports like S ranks did in Fateswakening?