Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I voted for team eyepatch I look forward to helping him get revenge on his enemies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm almost certainly going to choose in the heat of the moment based on who I like the most in the beginning but post timeskip dimitri is a very very powerful design

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The contrast in Dimitri is the best part

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

Some post timeskip designs' in game models. Spoilers, natch.

Looking forward to seeing the portraits. They might be trying to keep them under wraps though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Thief wearing exactly one pant is kinda funny but yeah the designs look closer to something someone might actually wear in general

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I bet there's a Heroes cameo like Echoes got a Cipher cameo. The cross-promotion has already started, anybody who links Three Houses to their nintendo account gets a Byleth for free in Heroes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I always hear reports of people spending 100 hours on RPGs that are normal length and just assume that any reports of overly long games are just slow players most of the time

e: plus yeah like 50% of FE is watching animations if you never skip them and I will be skipping a lot of animations

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sothis is almost certainly a dragon so there's probably an evil dragon too. Who knows what the context will be though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
beating the hardest difficulties from the DS era onward has basically required you to understand the enemy AI decision making anyways, so it's nice not to have to figure it out myself

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

on the other hand ive played so much fe that i understand the ai exactly

I'm not sure I always get it in corner cases in older games but the AI starting from Shadow Dragon is pretty simple, yeah. Even then there's weird quirky poo poo like enemy order that you need to keep track of to have a chance in something like FE12 reverse lunatic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lord Koth posted:

Something bad happens to Dmitri during the timeskip that causes him to go all angrymans and "the nobility must be destroyed."

Yeah Dimitri rules

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly I'm probably going to just play the game three times in a row

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A surefire way to make myself hate the game I'd otherwise love by the hundredth hour

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've played most FEs a ton of times. I think FE1 is the only one I haven't played multiple times, and most are at at least three. But I usually space them out. Playing Conquest->Birthright->Revelation in Japanese in a row then doing it again in English a few months later contributed a ton to my disdain of Fates because the flaws get exposed mor easily with scrutiny

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's Mount Emblem because every Fire Emblem is Mount Emblem and canto exists in this one. I find it very unlikely that cavalier and pegasus knight will have low enough stats to make up for high movement and canto.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I will lead a flock of pegasus knights

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Punch weapons are lame

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
don't get me wrong, punching can be cool, but punch weapons never are

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
future Dimitri might even have been deposed

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nobody is better than eyepatch Dimitri

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

Depends entirely if they stay that way if you join the schools. The E3 trailer sounded like the Claude route.

If they bamboozled me into my first playthrough being with two-eyed Dimitri I will be very cross

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
sothis is an imaginary sassy dragon gremlin who lives in your head

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The way they phrase that I suspect they mean Birthright. That said, we have already in trailers seen more interesting scenes than contained in the entirety of Birthright so

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That was my reason for thinking that they only played birthright. They could also just be a person who doesn't think too hard about the story and just appreciates the spectacle

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
And this very thread sang the praises of the Fates gameplay for months

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Conquest map design is mostly a series of tricky enemy formations, repeated ad nauseum. You almost never have to think more than a turn or two into the future. A few maps with that design would be a nice novelty but not every map.

I also dislike most of the combat innovations--heavy focus on skills so you have to check every enemy, every weapon having an effect you have to remember, debuffs existing, etc.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The Fates innovations work a lot better in Heroes just because maps are much smaller. Functionally, each map of Heroes is kinda like a single enemy formation in Conquest. Its just that you don't have to do ten of them back to back to get the win

e: debuffs are still poo poo though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They occupy multiple squares and have multiple health bars. I think their attacks are also AoEs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't remember if this has been posted in this thread or just the megathread, but with 3H looming I figured I'd post a link to the goon FE discord. It's primarily a Heroes discord (that was how it started) but we talk about all things FE, and have a dedicated channel for Three Houses if that's all you care about.

https://discord.gg/szMUmDU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Junpei posted:

https://twitter.com/diamondsong/status/1151960326377619456

Ratana, the voice of Ishtar in Heroes, is implying that she's either Leonie or Hilda.

As I recall, Ishtar was one of her first real roles, so good to see her springing off of that into a character in a full-sized game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Were the voice actors under an embargo or something until now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's weird that the japanese VAs were revealed along with the characters but the english ones were forbidden from doing so. Like I get that's it's a pretty different industry, it's just weird and dumb

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

d3lness posted:

Are there any spoiler free must have tips for Three Houses? I'm still fairly new to the series (Awakening, Conquest, Shadows of Valentia). I've been told to level the base classes to 20 before upgrading and ignore the free advanced class in your party early on, but I'm wondering if there is anything else newbies should keep an eye out for.

Ironically those pieces of advice are both not relevant to three houses and not particularly good advice in most other games either

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

eonwe posted:

Haven't played in a while, why shouldn't you ignore the early advanced class? In the ones I played they were just a huge XP sink

Your goal is not to maximize the amount of experience you gain. Your goal is to clear maps. Your earlygame promoted units help you do that easier.

You can also think of it this way: from Eliwood's point of view, Marcus getting a kill and Dorcas getting a kill is the exact same--either way, Eliwood doesn't gain experience. So replacing a low-level unit with a high-level unit in your deployment doesn't reduce the amount of experience your other characters gain unless you like, solo the map with them or something. Marcus won't be gaining very many stats but he has such a head start on anyone else that he doesn't fall behind until like the last few chapters of the game, and the rest of the units you deploy gain just as much experience as they would if you made the game harder on yourself by deploying somebody other than Marcus.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think Fates is the only game with the traditional promotion system where you really want to promote at level 20, because average endgame level is like 37-45 and the endgame enemies actually count on you having units of that level

as an addendum to my post above, it's not like FE is so structured that playing it "wrong" will be all that big a deal. If you don't want to use the wrinkly old horse man you don't have to, outside of the hardest difficulties. Using him will make the game easier though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I will induce Petra to rebel against Edelgard's tyranny

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fire Emblem's system doesn't really lend itself to randomized battles the way other SRPG systems can. They'll never be better than okay. Though maybe since there's a finite number of weekends the skirmishes are actually static?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dimitri wants to smash the state, I think

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm gonna marry Dimitri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

infernal is the hardest bullshit difficulty level i'm willing to touch for feh and i shudder to think of what it would be in a mainline game

Its been abyssal for a while now

Something to look forward to in three houses 2