Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

rannum posted:

If class skills aren't transferable, I figure we'll only get repeats in Tier 4. Cuz otherwise I don't think any of the beginner, intermediate or advance classes we've seen thus far have had overlap

We have. Paladin and Bishop both have the skill which lets them ignore terrain damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Oh my gosh when Seiros just runs up and punches the guy in the face :swoon:

And yet the punchman class is restricted to males...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I have not.

But I find it hard to believe they’d release a trailer that obfuscates the personalities of several main characters especially when one of those characters is Edelgard, the most strongly promoted of the Lords. So much so that the game’s theme is named after her.

E: Not that I think the characters will act exactly the same in every route but I don’t think they’re going to be a completely different person in their own route.

TO:LUCT is an extreme example and an outlier. For the record though, at the end of the first chapter, the player has to make a choice between following orders for the greater good (supposedly) or refusing to commit an atrocity. Regardless of which route you take, your childhood friend Vyce flips out and becomes hostile, but for completely opposite reasons -- he condemns the atrocity if you go Law and condemns you for not following orders if you go Chaos. His personality in the subsequent chapters is drastically different based on the route.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

and also hes already paid so whether or not you buy three houses has nothing to do with anything involving him.

Theoretically if people boycott the game over it and it's clear that's what they're boycotting about, it would have an effect at least for his prospects for the future, but in reality that isn't going to happen and I'll just play using FByleth (which I was planning to do anyway) to avoid him.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Can you play on hard with no perma death?

That’s my only reservation right now. The perma death thing breaks my brain and I end up giving up because of a bullshit death and turns start taking me forever because I’m dumb at these games.

Yes. You also get the ability to rewind time in the 2nd non-tutorial mission, so even the permadeath mode isn't as scary as in most other FE games.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Megasabin posted:

How do you make gauntlet work? It just seem weak compared to lance/axe/sword? Maybe the hawks don’t have anyone suited for it? Is there a poachable character who excels at gauntlet?

Sylvain, somewhat ironically since he's meant to be a cavalier and they can't use fist weapons, actually does pretty well with gauntlets since his personal skill gives him +2 damage when adjacent to a female character.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

goddamn the wyvern riders in shamir and alois's paralogue, if those pirates just flew a dozen of those guys into gareg mach monastery they'd take over the world. 21 str, 17 speed, 16 def, 40ish hp, and i think one of them had a killer axe

i still have some issues with the main quest map design but the paralogue map design rules so far

Yeah, I had a genuine game over, no remaining Divine Pulses loss in that map due to the goddamn wyvern riders. My armor knight Edelgard who normally takes 0 damage from anything physical (including everything else on that map) was taking 14x2 from them. They have 34 Might and like 17 Attack Speed, they're ridiculous. They're fast enough that none of my four archers could double them and bulky enough that I couldn't one-shot them even with a steel bow unless I used combat arts.

I won on my second attempt at the map with zero Divine Pulses left having narrowly escaped having Dorothea, Ingrid, and Petra all die. I had to have pegasus knight Ingrid take an arrow to keep Petra alive, it was that kind of map. It was easily the hardest map I've played so far, and I was 2-3 levels over the recommendation.

inthesto posted:

What the hell is up with this pirate map? Am I seriously expected to clear it without a single pirate entering the town, even though they have a steady source of fliers?

It's possible to do that, but you're actually allowed 5 turns with pirates in the town. The wyvern riders who beeline for the town will actually avoid making attacks against characters so you can range them down, but the ones who start on the map will murder your guys if you let them so be careful.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 28, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Can fliers dismount like horse units? If so just do that when near archers. I've got one peg and one wyvern and I haven't had any trouble with arrows taking them out. They have been pretty key in a few of the maps with timed extra objectives.

I've seen the option on pegasus knight Ingrid so yes. Thankfully my Ingrid is actually relatively tanky and can take one arrow hit, and she's fast enough that archers usually only have 40-60% chance to hit her anyway, so she hasn't gotten too terribly done over by murderous archers yet. I'm prepared for this to change late game when archers have ranges approximating ballistic missiles.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Zore posted:

There are stat caps, but they're on a per character basis and range from the 50's-80's depending on the person and stat

You aren't going to be hitting them in a normal playthrough

I thought the statue bonus which gives +5 to both speed and strength caps on the same statue was insane, until I learned that there's basically no way you're going to hit the caps in the first place. Now I don't even know why those bonuses are there.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

My only major complaint is that the Giant Beasts would have had more impact if they weren't all over the place in the second half of the game, they aren't hard at all and can easily be killed instantly if you don't care about the materials from breaking all of their shields.

There are a couple which can be pretty brutal; I had to spend sacred weapon charges like water to beat the one in Leonie's paralogue. And I only beat the big one at the end of Edelgard's route easily by abusing the hell out of El's broken-rear end relic weapon art to give her five turns in a row dealing 50 damage per turn.

Those are boss Giant Beasts, though. I agree that the normal ones are pretty snooze-worthy, acting more as speed bumps than mini-bosses for the most part.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I think battalions are generally okay from a stats point of view, though I wish there was a trade-off with them. They tried to do that with Felix and Catherine's personal skills, but those ended up being too weak to be worth giving up the battalion bonuses. I'd like it if, next time, there would be a viable reason for any unit not to use a battalion sometimes. I'm not sure what kind of drawback they should or could have, but it'd be a cool addition if using a battalion was a choice instead of just always the best thing to do.

Gambits need to be toned down for sure if the battalion system comes back in a future game.

It would make sense for some classes to perform worse with battalions, like Assassins and Thieves. It's hard to assassinate someone if you've got fifty dudes in heavy armor following you around. Maybe using battalions could be a class skill of certain classes, and the classes which can't use battalions get better growths to make up for it? Another thought: If battalions had a movement speed which limited the character using them, and mounted battalions were rarer than they are, it would make the trade off for mounted classes a lot more interesting, and give a lot more value to classes like Fortress Knight over Great Knight.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Even on Edelgard Hard mode I mostly only used Gambits on beasts when I wanted to farm materials. Every so often there would be a boss or an "elite troop" (swordmaster with a silver sword in a pack of myrmidons or weaker swordmasters, etc) that I would need to pin down or get chip damage on with troops who couldn't survive a counterattack, but generally just playing cautious and only placing Edelgard or Sylvain where dangerous enemies could attack was enough. I barely made any use at all of the pure support Gambits (Stride, the AOE heals, the "give everyone in a cross shape Miracle for the map" one, etc), it just wasn't necessary.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

the secret to hitting the incredibly fast endgame enemies is that magic is basically broken and never misses

Dorothea had a 19% chance to hit Cyril in the final Edelgard map for me. Admittedly that was with Meteor instead of something more accurate, but until he started moving a few turns later no one could get into his range because he could kill literally every character I had, and he flies 8 goddamn spaces.

indigi posted:

who is broken winged besides Bernie? everyone else seems to have their poo poo figured out

Petra is only 15 years old at the start and has been a hostage since she was a little girl, and Edelgard herself has some super dark poo poo in her past. The only Black Eagles I'd say "have their poo poo figured out" are Linhardt and maybe Caspar. Even Hubert is so hyper-focused on Edelgard that he doesn't live his own life.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 22, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Meanwhile, the final Blue Lions map was almost all mages, who I just killed with Bow Knights from outside of their attack range.

Yeah, Bow Knights are pretty much murder-bots. As soon as I promoted Bernie to Bow Knight, no one else had any chance of ever getting MVP again. My last like 5 maps are all Bernie Bow Knight MVP. I did get a relatively strength blessed Bernie though (28 strength at level 36 or so).

Andrast posted:

Petra just baited and murdered Cyril on the counter in my playthrough

I didn't build my Petra well enough to manage that. Cyril had a 50% chance to hit her with a 100% chance for either of his two hits to kill her.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

For the record, if you wait long enough, Cyril will move on his own to attack you, which means you can position an archer or two just out of his range to murder him when he does. Thankfully they didn't give him any sort of immunity to effective damage.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

Looking forward to the church route where Rhea goes so far off the deep end even heretic hunting fanatic and Rhea fanclub leader Catherine does a double take.

That happens in Edelgard route too at the very end.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Zore posted:

Ferdinand will also unlock a paralogue in pt 2 while Annette won't. Lindhardt also would and his paralogue with Leonie is weirdly lore intensive even if it just gets Leonie a mediocre relic bow.

I think you mean "it gets Bernadetta an amazing relic brave bow".

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Zoran posted:

Bernadetta doesn’t want a passive healing weapon, though

None of your archers should be getting hit anyway so the healing isn't very relevant.

Also, let's be honest, how is a straight upgrade to a brave bow medioce?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Bernadetta gets a flat +5 attack when she’s not at full health though

She murders everything in the first two hits of The Inexhaustible from 6 squares away anyway.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

Okay, but unless Bernie is literally your only bow user, which she isn't because you need Leonie to get Inexhaustible in the first place, plus Shamir is a free recruit and comes with A in bows out of the box, why wouldn't you just give someone else Inexhaustible and have Bernie use a bow that doesn't render her excellent personal skill useless? It's not like there's a shortage of normal brave bows to give out, I'm pretty sure I had something like 4 or 5 by the end, and maybe 1 of those was through forging.

She was my only bow user in my Black Eagles run; I didn't train Leonie in bows so she never got to Bow Knight, and Shamir just never got used. Further, Bernadetta's defense, resistance, and HP growths are awful and anything she didn't kill would pretty much kill her.

She was still my MVP for every map after she hit level 30 and promoted to Bow Knight.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's the secret to killing the giant turtle thing in Leonie and Lindhardt's paralogue?

No secret, really. It's one of the hardest enemies in the game. That last health bar is brutal.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Well it's not like she's actually any good with magic, and as the school doctor she probably has a pretty decent understanding of anatomy. Sword is her best weapon, so assassin actually makes a decent amount of sense for her.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

rannum posted:

I can tell already that just buying out mastery skills you've earned also seems pretty useful

Starting with the mastery from Byleth's unique class makes a huge difference early on. Not that the early game is hard for the most part, but adding +3 damage dealt and -3 damage taken for all adjacent allies makes Leonie/Sylvain (as appropriate for Byleth's gender) basically immune to damage and really helps your initially weaker characters with both killing enemies and surviving counterattacks.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

He's the tankiest mage I've ever used

Sylvain is making a surprisingly good mage for me in my second playthrough. He's extremely tanky and has great Speed growths; his Magic growth is low at 30% but that can be fixed by keeping him in the pure mage classes until you're ready to make him a Dark Knight. And his passive is great for a mage as well since it's much easier to arrange for a 2+ range attacker to stand next to a female unit than a melee attacker.

EDIT: And he has Black Magic Avoid +20 from a budding talent, which never hurts even if you may eventually discard it for something else.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Aside from the fact that about half to two thirds of the game takes place in a school setting, this is probably one of the least :japan: Fire Emblem games. This particular one is sort of a mix between Persona 3/4/5 and something like Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre.

Three Houses absolutely does not require any grinding, and in fact doesn't really let you grind very much on Hard difficulty.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Enemy fliers are the real bosses of the game. They're the most dangerous enemy in every chapter they're in, except maybe for siege tome mages,

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

rannum posted:

-Armored unit that can also use magic because that would be really funny to have a slow as dirt mage who can effortlessly throw off physical blows.

I was really disappointed that Edelgard's unique classes don't let her use her budding talent in reason.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly none of the seals are all that good since usually you either kill the enemy outright or weaken them enough that it doesn't really matter what their stats are. The exceptions (bosses) are generally immune to them. I'm fine with Seal Speed on the people with budding talent in heavy armor because they're usually both pretty slow and (ideally, if not practically) out in front getting beat on by multiple enemies without being able to kill those enemies in return, but it's not a skill they're going to keep long-term.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

wait, do the lords have an extra special promote outside of the master classes? 'cuz i was working towards making dimitri a holy knight

The lords each have two unique classes (not counting Lord itself since they all share that one and it sucks anyway).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Eimi posted:

Also I must admit when it comes to El's personal class I prefer keeping her in armored lord because I love her outfit there and the emperor outfit isn't as cool. :ohdear:

Yeah, Armored Lord is way better for Fashion Emblem.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

It'd be cool if there were battalions that made sense for Thief/Assassin units, too, like guerrilla fighters instead of a bunch of knights/cavaliers/mages.

There are, actually, they're just all low-level trash battalions. There are both Bandit and Thief battalions, IIRC (Bandit for 100% certain, I'd have to check on Thief).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

This is not true. You can freely choose the route even after talking to her.

Yeah, going with Edelgard is a requirement for her route but it doesn't lock you into it.

It does end the month, though, so still save it for the last week.