Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
So I did an AM run as my first playthrough and got a bit burned out by the end, but I've just started again with a fresh CF on hard and I'm enjoying it a lot more now I know what I'm doing.

I have a few questions:

- I understand Leonie can't be poached by getting her support with Byleth to rank B. I really kind of want to recruit her; should I invest in lances for her? I wasn't planning on poaching a lot of students but she was one I had set my sights on.
- Which DLC is worth it and how does the DLC work? Do I just buy the season pass or can/should I buy them individually? I don't have any particular interest in the grey wolves but the extra side story interests me and I would like to have some more choices on how to spend my time in the monastery. Don't care for outfits/cosmetics.
- I tire of the fishing, but near the end of my AM playthrough I had so little food to share with the students that I almost had to savescum fishing to get their supports up with one another. Is there a way to just... buy the foodstuff ingredients?
- What are exactly the differences between SS and VM? I'm tempted to do a CF run and an SS run so I don't have to do the first half of the game again with VM if the post-timeskip parts are going to be the same. I understand they're essentially identical, but does SS have things which don't appear in VM (like extra scenes with the monastery staff or the black eagles students?) or is VM literally everything SS has + the Golden Deer people? Depending on how content starved SS is, I might go through GD to just have the full experience instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Thanks guys.

Re: the food: I knew you could buy some foodstuffs at the merchants but I got the impression it was just for the food cooking 1:1 that gives your units a buff for a month, not for sharing meals.

I'll check out the DLC then. The story sounds interesting. What does the sauna do and what other activities does it add?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I like Catherine! So much I even got the s-rank support with her.

So I bought the DLC and I’m now around chapter 7 and just got the four gray wolves. I discovered Constance had a budding talent in brawling and raised it for her, only to notice now that mages can’t use gauntlets apparently? I feel cheated. I thought every class could use every weapon.

Is there any way to get Constance to use gauntlets or unarmed strike while somehow keeping access to her black magic? I’m gonna have to make her a mortal savant or something and invest in swords, brawling and dark magic? I guess I could angle for that new monk class but I’d really rather level her in dark magic rather than faith.

It’s a NG+ CF route and I almost have max professor level, so I could theoretically have her multitask as gremory and swap to that brawler monk now and then, but dang what a disappointing way to find out mages can somehow use bows but not their fists.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I guess I’m going to spec her as a war cleric and dip into gremory eventually! Thanks.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Even if the routes are not wholly unique I think they add a lot to the game. The whole point is that nobody is really good or really bad and every side of the conflict has something going for it and for former friends might become foes and vice versa. That works better in multiple semi-perfect routes than one longer one. It pkays to the interactive strength of video games over other forms of media

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yes, I only did AM and while I felt satisfied I had enough questions to google them and spoil myself + restart CF for the mechanical/combat aspects of the game. I honestly feel like I got my money’s worth from one playthrough, and while I admit I found some parts of 3h flawed (Byleth really just didn’t grab me as a character) I was very impressed by the way it was executed even if not perfect. It’s my first Fire Emblem game and impressed me enough to look into buying a 2DS to play the others, and one of the best executions I’ve seen in media to make all characters sympathetic and rounded. White Clouds was definitely the highlight though, I feel like part 2 could have been shorter and more... lethal, plot-wise. There’s some padding and evidently they didn’t quite know how to keep garrech mach interesting, so I would have liked some more oomph and a quicker resolution with maybe more development time spent on unique assets per route

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Is there any way to quickly see whether my units are ahead or behind the curve stat-wise? I have the impression that my Edelgard and Ferdinand have had really good level ups since they barely take physical damage and dish out a ton in return + have good speed, but I'm not sure if that's just confirmation bias or whether they're ahead of where they should be at level 20.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Thanks, I was afraid I'd have to do that. Can you easily see which stats will be raised to the class minimum when switching classes?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It's mostly out of curiosity, but also I'm playing on hard mode and the DLC paralogues are kicking my rear end even though I'm overleveled a bit and blazing through the non-DLC paralogues and story missions. Balthus' paralogue says it's recommended for level 13 and up but my level 15 team got its rear end kicked and I scraped by with my level 20 team when trying again later. So I'm wondering if I'm like, in front of the curve for level 20 and the DLC paralogues are just designed to be hard even then, or whether I got a bunch of good levels on some characters and bad levels on others, etc.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I’m still working on making Constance a war monk because she currently lacks the proficiencies for it, but mystic blow seems to stack with fiendish blow, magic +2 and brawling prowess so she oneshots most enemies with mystic blow. It’s ridiculous

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
My Lysethea defeated all odds and has a reasonable def stat. She's god low HP so it's not super useful, but unless she gets doubled she can actually survive a hit from random thieves slipping through my lines with 1-2 HP.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
During my first playthrough (AM) I had a lot of fun but I had no idea what was up with anything regarding TWSIDD or Lady Rhea or Byleth's family.

I played through cindered shadows and was still really unsure of anything that happened. So I decided to just spoil myself and doing a CF run now I can see a lot better how everything ties together. I like the fact that everybody tells their own story but IMHO it might have worked better if they at least clued you in partially. E.g. on CF Edelgard publishes a manifesto on how the Church us evil and lies about history, but in the AM route people shrug and go "Well who knows why she did what she did?" and IIRC they don't even speculate about it. I would have liked some sort of comments like "Well, Edelgard wrote this whole manifesto but it seems like a bunch of made up conspiracy nonsense" rather than just... not mentioning it.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Does Ashe shed some light on the subject? IIRC his supports with Catherine have a bit of introspection on his motivations, but I didn’t pay much attention in my first run.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I think the most logical explanation would be that the deposing of the King really *is* bullshit and a lot of people in Faerghus see through Cornelia's (honestly poor) scheming. But a bunch of people might be blackmailed, or opportunists, or political opponents who are willing go along with it as long as Dimitri is out of the picture, while others (including the cast in AM) stand by Dimitri, not only because they're his friend, but because they hope to restore some manner of legitimacy to the throne. I would have liked this to be spelled out a bit more but I can see many of the noble houses like Gautier or Fraldarius willing to put a (crazed, delusional, murderhobo) King on the throne, because they liked the status quo and they want to keep the legitimacy of the ruling dynasty on the throne more than they care about Dimitri as a person. In that sense I always saw AM as a story where the cast sincerely believe that Dimitri isn't king but ought to be king (for whatever reasons those may be) and even if he's crazy, maybe his heirs won't be and everything goes back to normal twenty years from now? Which pokes holes in Dimitri's "people will depose an unjust King" theory because clearly they're not willing to do that, they're either personally loyal to him, to some ideal of a gallant King that he could be but clearly isn't, or they think the legitimacy of having a coherent dynasty in the long term overrules any concerns with regards to how fit *this* particular King is.

FE:3H has strong themes of rebellion vs social inertia and I don't think it's a stretch to believe loads of people support a specific ruler for no reason other than "it's what we've always done" and "it's what we ought to do, or this country is plunged into chaos" rather than "I like this guy"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
For what it's worth Azure Moon certainly felt, to me, like the one that gave you the least to work with. Crimson Flower gives way more info about contemporary politics and Verdant Wind way more background and lore to explain the backstory leading up to the war. Azure Moon is a strong character piece but it's weird how it leaves so many plot threads dangling.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Inu posted:

Constance is punching her way through physical classes, and ending at Warrior Monk.
Constance has already done remarkably well punching her way through enemies with training gauntlets. Punching Constance rules.

Oh yes she owns, although I would suggest putting her through the magic classes before going war cleric. The reason I say this is because putting her in war cleric will buff her strength anyway to like 15, so tanking her strength isn't too bad early, and she gets a skill that lets her punch poo poo using her magic stat, so ideally that should be the highest stat anyway.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Ashe and Ignatz are both soft, gentle souls but one of them somehow sticks the landing and the other doesn't.

I'll say I actually like Ignatz and don't know why so many dislike him, but I like Ashe more

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Ah, I only recruited Ignatz in my AM playthrough and nabbed Leonie and Lysithea and I felt like Ignatz was really cute in his interactions with Flayn and Ingrid. Didn't know the Raphael support soured people on him since I killed Raphael

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
If you don't have the DLC yet, I found white clouds to be a lot more bearable with the four new characters and the new classes as I could try out some new strategies and roles for my units, and had new supports to look forward to. It helps that the best of the DLC characters, Constance, meshes well with Black Eagles, and she has supports with Mercedes (who also meshes well with Black Eagles)!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Mercedes and Ashe you should be able to recruit just by getting B-rank supports with them and they'll eventually ask to join you of their own accord. Taking them with you on missions for the month also helps build support with them.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Actually you can also just park them across the map and everything they do builds support with Byleth IIRC. So they can fight some mooks without standing next to Byleth and still build support with you.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Can't wait to do a third playthrough and have Edelgard, Constance and Lysithea as the weeb class. War cleric Manuela.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm currently nearing the end of my CF playthrough (having already done an AM playthrough) and thinking about doing a GD playthrough with permadeath on (so far I've been playing on casual).

I'm crazy enough to want to play both VW and SS so I'll probably end up doing a SS playthrough where I recruit absolutely everyone.

Any good ideas for less-than-ideal builds for the GD people? I've recruited pretty much all of them save for Raphael, Hilda and Claude in my previous runs so I'd like to do something unorthodox with them. Most likely I'll use the GD crew, gray wolves and the faculty staff the most (I noticed that I never really made much use of Flayn, Manuela, Hanneman, Cyril and Alois and I'll probably try to remedy that somewhat.)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Would Ignatz work as a war cleric?

Let me paint you a picture!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Inu posted:

I just did a playthrough where I made Leonie go up through magic classes, to Valkyrie and then Dark Knight. That was fun. She actually has a decent spell list and is flexible enough to do well at anything.

I recruited her again for my current playthrough, and I think I'm going to have her do Pegasus Knight and then War Cleric. She's going to be dodging like a pro.

You could also try sending Lysithea up through all the sword classes. She has a budding talent in swords, but it's definitely still a wanky build for her since you don't get access to her magic, and her strength and defense are never that great. I did this with her in my last playthrough, and she wasn't so bad at it.

How about getting her through the magic classes while also upping her sword skill through lectures? Would the stat growths gimp her a bit too much if I tried that, to make her end up as mortal savant? I vaguely recall she got a skill to use her MA for sword attacks; presumably it's best to just dump STR and have as high as possible MA instead?

I think maybe I expressed myself poorly earlier; not really looking for "less viable" but more like "less orthodox", or not as straightforward.

Considering making somebody with high speed growth an armour knight and see if their growths can maybe salvage the armour knight's slow speed growth

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I have to say the ethnicities in this game sorta confuse me, probably because naming schemes are all over the place in Fire Emblem games, including this one. People from Duscur have darker skin tones, but apparently they live in or near the Kingdom of Faerghus as an isolated group? And then outside Duscur you have Almyrans and Brigid as the only areas where people appear to have darker skin tones than the clearly European-inspired Fodlan.

I don’t really understand how people didn’t immediately figure out Claude’s Almyran roots and I’m not 100% sure on that’s up with Hapi. I guess she’s from alliance border territories near Almyra so maybe that makes sense.

Meanwhile Catherine seems to be the only person from the Kingdom with a suntan.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Rimusutera posted:

Being confused by people with varied skin tones and multiple distinct ethnic groups living together on a continent is... something.

Sometimes characters comment on it and other times they do not not. Everybody gives Cyril poo poo for being Almyran and gives Dedue poo poo for being from Duscur, but Claude's lineage flies under the radar despite nobody in Fodlan proper having darker skin tones and nobody commenting on Hapi is what tripped me up; it seems very selective in how it treats race.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It's a bit weird how many hair colours the main cast has and how none of the NPCs really get that wild. I wonder if Holst has neon pink hair, and I wonder if that's why he's so powerful.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

AlternateNu posted:

Milf chasers are doomed to fail.

Ferdinand ends up perfectly happy with Manuela, thank you very much

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Oh yes, it's absolutely Ferdinand seeing his chance and going for it.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I gave that book to Lorenz and I'm pretty sure he loved it!

Eimi posted:

Yeah I never felt like he was hitting on her. He's just geeking out as only a fan can, while she's hoping he does hit on her. Like if anything it totally helps sell the Ferdinand is trans fan theory. :v:

What? I have never heard of this theory and I never read Ferdinand as anything but the straightest of cishet dudes. I find it a whole less plausible than Ferdie being a groupie who wants to shower his idol with attention in the most over-the-top way possible to humor her/signal his interest in her.

Look at his first talk with Constance too: he's obviously still got some manner of feelings for her from back when they knew each other and comes out of the gate with the most poetic and hamfisted of lines.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Shinji117 posted:

I mean, as a character he might, but it isn't on his list of preferred gifts (Rose, Floral Adornment, Tea Leaves, Book of Sheet Music)- it's only on Edelgard's list.

Hmm, odd, I was almost positive that book got me the double arrows support icon and he reacted as if it was the best gift ever. Maybe I'm confusing it with the sheet music book

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Inu posted:

Byleth should use their powers to win the Fódlan lottery and double the money at Fódlan Vegas.

Doesn't work, because the RNG seed remains the same. Unless you mean Byleth should sit down at a game, and if they lose, move to another game or tell one of their students to try instead?

EDIT: what happens in the abyss, stays in the abyss

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Endorph posted:

literally nobody on planet earth actually cares about which lord is morally correct, they just pick the one they like most as a character and backfill from there.

Wrong; when I play video games, I always do my best to commit as many human rights violations as possible.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Personally I really like the DLC (bought it after my first playthrough so I think I'll squeak 3 whole playthroughs out of the DLC characters and classes before I'm done with the game) but yeah 25 bucks is quite steep. It helps that I adore Yuri, Balthus and Constance and can't imagine playing the game without them now, and the war cleric allows you to do some goofy poo poo with f!Byleth's and other ladies' proficiency in brawling that you otherwise don't get much use of, but yeah.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Ultimately I feel like Claude would have worked better as a genuine third party in a three-way war. Not just a target for Edelgard and collateral damage for Dimitri, but somebody who sees Edelgard pull of her plan and say "well, if not now, when?" and invade both the Empire and the Kingdom to achieve his own goals (possibly pressured by outside forces such as a temporary truce with Almyra which forces him to commit to his plan before he is fully ready). It would require some rewriting of his motivations but I still think it could have worked, and would have avoided the weirdness surrounding the battle of Gronder Field where there needs to be a contrived misunderstanding to pull off the three-way battle.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Edelgard is the only non-Byleth character to do actual recruiting work. She offers Petra, Dorothea and Bernie the one thing they want the most, and if you don't recruit Hanneman or Manuela, they join her forces (though they only show up in an AM paralogue). Ferdinand makes it pretty clear he would rather counsel Edelgard than fight her. Linhardt and Caspar are probably the weakest links, but they have even less reason to go join any of the other sides.

There's also a whole sideplot that mostly shows up in supports about how crests have a large influence on people's personalities. Flayn and Linhardt are both attention deficit narcoleptics, Ferdinand and Seteth are both thoroughly wholesome dudes who tend a bit towards the overbearing, etc. Byleth and Edelgard are the ones with a crest of flame, and they are also the only ones who manage to inspire absolute loyalty in relative strangers.

Lysithea and Catherine are both... caught out in the rain a whole lot?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Idk, Linhardt always struck me as lazy but with a strong moral compass. I can buy him joining whichever faction seems the most morally just/most convenient/most likely to achieve swift victory, and as the son of a prominent Empire politician I doubt he has the option of just loving off and hiding. He’s safest in a haven of politics close to the action rather than being a bargaining chip waiting to be kidnapped, either by the Church or by the Empire depending on which route he joins.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I really like Ferdinand - Sylvain - Lorenz because they're more or less the same archetype (womanizing pompous nobleman - though I guess in Ferdinand's case it's more muted) but executed in completely different ways.

Ferdinand is straight up a prince charming, but sometimes gets on people's nerves because he relishes the role he has as a nobleman. all in all he feels a bit more down to earth and comfortable in his role as a nobleman and what that entails, barring his weird rivalry with Edelgard.
Sylvain hates the position he's in but is willing to abuse it for his own womanizing benefits, and he harbors some level of resentment for women because they're perpetuating the position he's in, a lot of them also for their own benefit.
Lorenz does not necessarily seem to enjoy his role as a nobleman, but he's dutiful and conscientious. He understand you need to dance the dance, even if you don't feel like it, and go through the correct aristocratic motions to keep the world from falling apart, and this gets on people's nerves and his great flaw is not willing to see/not being able to see that maybe the rest of the world is unwilling to play by the traditional rules any more.

Incidentally I do think this makes Lorenz, regardless of whether his conviction that one must perform their duty even if they do not like it is actually correct, one of the most selfless characters in the game. He's a pompous rear end but he's not really enjoying a lot of the duties that come with the territory of noble birth. He just does them because he believes it is morally right to dance to the tune of tradition, regardless of one's feelings about it.

If Lorenz had been born with some more social intelligence and/or gotten rid of that yee-yee rear end haircut, the rest of the cast would probably treat him closer to how they treat Ferdinand or Sylvain because he wouldn't shock people with the whole "yes but you see, nobles must perform a thorough due diligence of their potential wives and marry within their own class" shtick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

do u believe in marigolds posted:

How "hard" is hard mode? I'm finishing a classic normal mode and my units are one-shotting enemies and it's getting boring. I want a little more of a challenge but not so much more than I have to rely on certain units gaining certain stats at level up to make them useable.

I did NG+ hard with meme builds like brawler Constance. I'm fairly certain I could have done NG hard with meme builds if I wanted to.