Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
From the previous thread:

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

interesting choices for which classes have lancefaire or axefaire

also you can't tell me that the hero isn't just a rechristened myrmidon but male only for some reason

Remember that class-skills can't be transferred. It's possible, or even likely, that multiple different classes have access to the exact same Lancefaire or Axefaire skills. It's not like Awakening or Fates where you go to the class to pick up the skill, it's just a way of controlling what you do when you're in that class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

rannum posted:

If class skills aren't transferable, I figure we'll only get repeats in Tier 4. Cuz otherwise I don't think any of the beginner, intermediate or advance classes we've seen thus far have had overlap

All the cavalry and flier classes we've seen have had Move Again (Canto).

You just probably don't get Weaponfaire skills until advanced classes anyway.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

imo recruting all the students seems like it'd make the post-timeskip plot worse. like sure there's some unique dialogue in the monastery but having recognizable chapter bosses instead of randos is cool

I beat Edelgard's route killing as few enemy students as possible, mostly by avoiding them and defeating the commander instead, or preventing them from spawning in the first place. In the end, there was only one chapter where killing another student was mandatory.

The game did not acknowledge this in any way.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Harrow posted:

Welp, missed my last chance at the Death Knight because Jeralt decided he was going to start moving and forced me to end the map before I could actually engage him. That's pretty infuriating, but I'm not about to start this whole tedious map over again so, well, gently caress dark classes I guess.

I hate guest units, especially ones I have to protect.

I had to surround the boss with units so the NPC couldn't physically attack the boss.

Gruckles posted:

When I did that map Jeralt charged in and brought the boss to 1 HP, and then retreated and just stood around while I grabbed the bonus items.

Or apparently I wasted my time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I can tell you that the lower left chest near where the Death Knight spawns is just a Horsekiller lance and probably not worth your time.

I don't even remember the top left one, although my thief had no problem getting it (it wasn't blocked off).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RoyalScion posted:

Yeah I had to scramble for that fight since Jeralt is suicidal and gets one-turned by the death knight. Strongest knight of Seiros apparently a joke :colbert: .

Thankfully Dimitri had a horseslayer for that fight.

Also if you use the brawler art fading blow DK actually won't counter it.

Edelgard could go toe to toe with the DK by that point, for me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

rannum posted:

I saw her able to do pretty solid damage and definitely able to live the retaliation but his 25% crit rate remained regardless, so I softened him up with gambits from him & petra, then used Ingrid's relic with the horseslaying art to finish the job

High Crit Rates remain my most feared part of the combat UI.

Well, I meant that she could survive a crit.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

Gremory is straight up better, gives x2 uses to all the magic types, including dark.

Gremory lacks the +5 damage to black magic, but frankly having 2 more movement than Warlock would probably make it worth it even without any bonus magic usages. As people have said before, I'd be totally fine with Master classes being "more specialized, but not strictly better" if they didn't all have more movement than the Advanced classes.

Girls not being able to punch at all and Lysithea, one of only 2 real dark mages, being unable to be a dark mage is real dumb though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Warlock is an Advanced class, while Gremory is a Master class - which means higher pity bases, higher overall growth rates (much higher in this case) and better movement. There is no pure magic class for males at Master level, they have to be a melee/magic hybrid.

Master classes don't actually have any higher pity bases than Advanced classes, and their total stat modifiers aren't significantly better either. Many times they lose overall stats on the change.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

yeah for all the talk of Horse Emblem horses and the Master classes dont actually seem that good.

likewise i think dancers kinda get outclassed by Stride, even if its still useful to dance your best mage (Lysithea)

For the final battle of the Black Eagles route, there was so much anti-horse terrain that I just dismounted half my party for almost the entire map.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

Depends on what route, as personally edelguard's route gives you an item that gives flier immunity not too far in after part 2 begins.

I got two of those in Edelgard's route.

But frankly you can just dismount at any time anyway, so it's not a big deal.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Could everyone please try to mark all spoilers with which House you're talking about? Even for things that you assume are plot neutral (which they may not be), it can be difficult for readers to tell if it's safe to mouse over the spoiler text.

Most people have been good about it, but you still see a few unclear spoiler blocks every so often.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Onmi posted:

In regards to your spoiler and identities Jeritza is the Death Knight, but this is only revealed in a Paralogue with Mercedes. Whom he's the older brother of.

Clarste posted:

Could everyone please try to mark all spoilers with which House you're talking about? Even for things that you assume are plot neutral (which they may not be), it can be difficult for readers to tell if it's safe to mouse over the spoiler text.

Most people have been good about it, but you still see a few unclear spoiler blocks every so often.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i just started playing this, is there a FFT/TO-esque barracks where you can recruit non-unique characters or am i stuck with all these dang anime kids?

Don't worry, the kids can die permanently just like FFT.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I've been avoiding this thread because of spoilers but I have a question

I just unlocked the master classes and noticed that they're almost all mounted, I guess the game just really wants you to level riding and flying? Relatedly, none of the master classes look like they'll work with a female punchmans at all so I guess I've spent all this time leveling brawl for nothing? :(

Female punchmans simply aren't a thing except for Byleth (who gets her own unique class anyway).

Master classes have higher movement, but other than that aren't significantly better than Advanced classes. They're just more specialized. Don't feel too bad about being stuck in an Advanced class with no obvious upgrade, anyway.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Your Computer posted:

that's also one thing I was wondering about, the master classes are all like "knight with axe", "knight with bow", "knight with white magic", "knight with black magic" and so on which isn't as cool as the advanced classes

my stupid idea was making a punch assassin, would that work? I just like the idea of sneaking up on enemies and punching them dead

You lose like 3 weapon skill per battle for not being in a class specialized in that weapon. Maybe that adds up, I dunno, but that's the only penalty.

Motto posted:

Does skill point gain during instruct scale with professor rank, or does it just start falling off relative to skill requirements once you get to around C or so? Mostly asking since then I'd start focusing on a character's other strengths or talents.

It does not scale with professor rank, although you can spend renown on statues for a couple of flat bonuses. Higher skill ranks just take way longer to raise, but tbh that's also a reason to focus even more on them. I didn't get a single S+ rank on anyone in my first playthrough.

Edit:

Endorph posted:

you can do that if you want but they're missing out on +5 damage per hit from a punch specialized class, unless you pump up their brawl rank all the way to s to get fistfaire as a learned skill instead of a class skill

Oh yeah, forgot about those skills.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 2, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Your Computer posted:

thanks! I didn't know you could get the -faire skills by leveling a weapon, so that's nice! Speaking of learning skills, in this game every class has one skill to master right? Does that mean you should always max out your current class before assigning a new one? I've noticed it takes a long time to max them out, like I'm barely 1/3 of the way on the first classes by the time I can switch to the second ones.

another thing I was wondering about was weight. Is there an easy way to eyeball whether a certain weapon or shield is "worth it"? I only know that WT affects your attack speed and can make you terrible in battle because the enemy gets to attack twice as much, but I've had a hard time figuring out a good way of telling.

For decision-making, weight is literally just negative speed. 1 weight is canceled out by 1 speed. A weapon with 11 weight (like Nosferatu) is the equivalent of having 11 less speed.

In general though, it's fine to just swap between all your weapons and see which ones make you double/get you doubled. Shields seem kinda bad to me, personally, but if you're an armor knight I guess it couldn't hurt to have more def and less speed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Deified Data posted:

What can I do to raise his sword skill ASAP so he's not stuck in intermediate for months? I just mastered Mercenary and he has nowhere else to go at the moment unless I want to train other skills when I should be training sword.

In the short term, thief is another intermediate sword-using class, if you're mostly concerned about wasting class mastery XP.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oops, misread.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 2, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Deified Data posted:

A guard asked me if there were any female party members I wanted to go to the tower with during the Ball and I noped out immediately because I'm scared of commitment. This isn't a terribly important choice is it?

It doesn't change the ending, if that's what you're asking. It just gives you a little scene with that person (and presumably a chance to raise their support level).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Why are people calling it the Chaos route? To be honest that's a little confusing since it's unclear what that means.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'd just call it the Edelgard Route personally.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

shrike82 posted:

How much do the stories change when you play a different house?

It's mostly the same for the first half (a little more than half, really) with slightly different information being presented, and then diverges completely for the second half.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

I have the choice between Free time, battle and seminary, I can only choose one of these? or can I pick one first than another.

If I have to choose I'll just pick free time

Explore is almost always the best option, and only becomes more best as your professor levels go up. You basically want to battle as few times as necessary to complete the paralogues (and maybe picking up rusted weapons from monsters, I guess), and seminars are useless.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Yeah relics seem to damage anyone who uses them and hasn't got a crest. It doesn't have to be a specific crest for Thyrsus, someone with A crest can use it without penalty

Incidentally, this also applies to (Chapter 4 spoilers?) Miklan using the relic spear as a boss.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Evil Canadian posted:

About recruiting from other houses: Is it purely the stats they care about, or do you also have to get your support ranks up with them?

I am right before the dance and none of the kids are willing to switch over still, even the ones with stats I nominally have pretty decent so its a bit confusing to me unless you are meant to get most of them right before the time skip.

Supports are far more important than stats for recruiting. You're better off spending time getting support levels with them than training skills or raising stats, although you do need at least a little skill, I guess.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure it's a sliding scale based on total support points rather than the requirements shooting down at specific support ranks. I had to do some unfortunate loading at some point requiring me to replay an entire month, and I managed to recruit Lysithea with no support conversation at like 10 Mag and a C in Faith. But I know she was close to C rank, since I'd been feeding her gifts and had already recruited her at C rank before I loaded.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

The paralogues are special quests right, not those "optional : kill those bandits" reward gold ?

Yeah, Paralogues are full missions with with plot and stuff. I think you get them just from having the right people in your house at the right times, but maybe there are some with more specific requirements. They're marked with green exclamation marks on the calendar.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

I've changed my mind, Hilda rules, Ignatz is sensitive guy that one shots people but is sorry about it, Lorenz is a great unit but he still sucks, come on dude, I talked to you about being a creep to girls.

Stats talk, is there a reason to pick any other class than the one that gives you the biggest stat boost? I wanted to make Hilda a Brigand from a Pegasus Knight but she drops a lot in stats.

Movement and movement type is a huge thing. For example, while a pegasus knight may be a little weaker, they also get 6 move and can fly over everything.

Different classes have different innate abilities too, such as improving the damage of certain weapon types. And only some of them can use magic, of course.

Also, you get more skill experience for using weapons that a class is good at.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

How far in are you supposed to start successfully recruiting people? I've had no luck so far but I'm only at chapter 5.

Other than a few you get for free at certain points in the story, you really have to make an effort to recruit people, by giving them gifts or eating with them in the dining hall. If you ignore them and just focus on raising your stats and skills, you'll get almost no one.

That said, you can easily start recruiting people before chapter 5 if you know what you're doing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Double spells is amazing for certain powerful spells with extremely limited uses (like Warp or Meteor), but yeah, it loses out on the raw damage or healing of Warlock or Bishop.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

on the flip you get Xfaire at S anyway

S+. Which I beat the entire game without getting on any character, the first time through. Certainly not something I would count on having when making plans.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

My Byleth was most famous for being the Professor who never used anything but a Training Sword for the entire school year.

Excuse me, a Training Sword+.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Eimi posted:

Ingrid is tailor made to be a Pegasus Knight and she will be promoted to that if you wait.

And in fact she is the only tailor-made pegasus knight in any of the three houses, which I thought was odd.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Deified Data posted:

So is Dancer lost forever if a male character does the dancing competition? I thought it would be funny to make Lorenz participate (and win) without thinking about the consequences lol

Males can be dancers. It's not a gender-locked class.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Linhardt is good. He married Lysithea and cured cancer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dancers can use magic, and have some proficiency in swords.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh my loving god the script has been okay for the most part but they loving destroyed a serious scene by using Professor in it. Edgelord Route Chapter 15's end Rhea... we lost Flayn and Seteth... I'm so sorry to report it.
Rhea: NO AMOUNT OF REPENTANCE WILL SAVE YOUR SOUL I WILL CHAIN YOU DOWN IN THE VALLEY OF TORMENT YOUR SKIN WILL ROT I'LL KILL YOU PROFESSOR

I'm laughing so loving hard my god.

Also any time Jeralt says "my child."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Phenotype posted:

So I just realized there's a difference between dark magic and the stuff Lindhardt has. Please tell me I can get enough Dark Seals to get Hubert both Dark Mage classes even if I've already wasted one.

There are three total for BE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

nevermind