Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tae posted:

Half the actual story of fates doesn't make sense without that dlc, including who the gently caress is lilith and why is Corrin so goddamn important

It's fine because the other half doesn't make sense even with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Endorph posted:

hector: farina
lyn: florina
lachesis: uhhhhhhh dew

Isn't Lachesis' debate exclusively between Fin and Beowulf due to apparently having children from both canonically?

Also, I agree with the FE7 picks.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Agean90 posted:

prohibit dating entirely, professionalism is mandatory

Nothing is more professional than increasing stats through support bonuses.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tae posted:

If you have his amiibo

Is that how amiibo work now? I thought they only unlocked songs.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

:siren:Big actual spoiler:siren:

Its Edelgard

Wait, seriously? Please explain, this kind of greatly changes my shipping plans.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

hopeandjoy posted:

It's me, I'm the person who is happy with faceroll easy because I'm bad at video games and like to pretend it's my amazing tactics making me breeze through the game.

Yeah, this. I'm perfectly fine with this because I suck and anything that boosts my ego and lets me get through the game with less resets is appreciated.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is the first year school phase in each of the path's exactly same until you get to the end? I've only started my first NG+ now and it looks like even though I picked a different house they still give you the same tasks each month.

I don't mind too much if it is, I still get a new set of characters and paralogues but it does kind of suck to do some of the same stuff over again.

Yeah, Part 1 is identical to every route until the last stage. They only really change in Part 2.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I want to watch the AGDQ run too but it was super late for me. I hope it gets uploaded to Youtube soon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Seteth is the only exception in p1, because you can’t recruit him until the story lets you

Not true. You can do the Ingrid/Dorothea paralogue without Ingrid at the very least (not sure if you can without Dorothea, though I'm guessing so), the Shamir/Alois one without Alois, and the Ashe/Catherine one without Catherine. I've done all three.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

My best story on class changes is probably turning Felix to Warlock and seeing his Res go from "non-existent" to "literally one of my best magic tanks". That base Res helped him a lot, and the increase in base Mag was also pretty nice for Levin Sword shenanigans.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I have a question about the opening theme. I found two different versions of Edge of Dawn, but I can't find anything that says that two versions exist. Neither seems to be a fan-cover or anything, but they have clearly different lyrics in two different parts (while being identical otherwise). Anyone know what's up with that?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ROFL Octopus posted:

I wish the Byleth green hair alts in smash had the Enlightened One outfits.

Yes but also it doesn't matter because you're playing her wrong if you aren't playing with the Edelgard colour anyways.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

indigi posted:

Can you recruit Hilda on BE

Yes, but on a very specific moment. If you don't pick Edelgard, you can recruit her after Edelgard betrays Garreg Mach but before the timeskip hits.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Modest Mao posted:

edit: I also really like that in PoR / RD that classes like Hero are tied to people's actual personality and skills so using Sword/Axe isnt just a job distinction but a personal one, basically every character's class limitations are sensible to their character / background.

Awakening also does a pretty good job with this, nearly if not all the reclass options have a reason to be there, tied to the character's backstory, aspirations or character gags (there's a reason why the guy with no presence gets Thief despite being in heavy armour)

Boons/banes in Three Houses are also quite logical in most of the cases, even when they don't fit the character gameplay-wise, they tend to fit them as characters.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Eimi posted:

Unfortunately she's from a child unit which is kinda weird and also in Birthright. I really don't like the Hoshidan siblings at all.

Takumi is great though, he's the only character willing to call out Corrin and that alone gives him my respect even if the game really wants to convince you he's wrong.

The rest are forgettable but Takumi is best bro.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Still want to see a game where a gay character is gay, and not whatever based on the whims of the player.

We had Leon in Echoes, the game is extremely clear about his sexuality and you have no input whatsoever in it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I really like Dorothea's supports with Caspar since he not only does he not judge her for her goals, he actually appreciates her efforts and dedication and sees it as a parallel to himself, also working hard to prove himself to the world and to get what he couldn't get by birth.

It's a really unique interaction since usually someone like Dorothea would be despised by the writing and told she's wrong no matter what, while Caspar's attempts at proving he's worth his place in spite of being the second son would be elevated by the writing as, well, noble. Here, the writing puts both of them on the same level, and in fact sees no difference whatsoever: both are putting their absolute best into getting what they want, and we should not see them with different eyes.

Add to that that Dorothea has clear limits to what she's willing to accept (she rejects Ferdinand and despises Lorenz, despite both of them being rich, since she refuses to be with someone that looks down on her), and even in that the game's willing to point out when she's going too far (Ferdinand was a far better person than she gave him credit for, far more of an idiot than an rear end in a top hat, and her preconceptions of him didn't allow her to see that) and overall it's clear that Dorothea is a character the writing sees in a positive, if nuanced, light - a far cry from a simple gold digger character.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Endorph posted:

play crimson flower first because edelgard is right

Alternatively, play it second so you can recruit everyone easily, that way all the characters will also know Edelgard is right.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Maybe Fire Emblem: Three Houses presents a complex story where no one is completely in the right and where people can have good intentions but also carry them forward in ways that only cause bloodshed and pain.

Except Claude, who is written as completely flawless beyond a lack of interest in what's going on and sadly, that makes him kind of boring.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

professor metis posted:

also :yeah:, but more subdued. I maintain that his lack of trust in his friends and allies (not telling them who he is) should have had some impact on his relationships and on the story.

Claude has a lot going on that could've made for a really neat story: his willingness to use underhanded methods to win, his secrecy about his past, his relationship and issues with both of his homelands, his wish to remain passive in the middle of a war between the other two, but overall none of these genuinely matter in Verdant Wind and it sucks. It's really obvious that the story was not written around Claude like Crimson Flower and Azure Moon were around their respective Lords, so all of these come up everywhere except in the story (to an extent, since his secrecy about his past is a part of dialogues in the story proper, but it doesn't really affect it).

Overall, Verdant Wind just writes Claude as being entirely in the right without giving him any of the shades of grey Edelgard, Dimitri or Rhea have, with his less morally correct attributes being more informed than anything.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cythereal posted:

I know, and it has nothing to do with what I originally said. I was just noting that it amuses me how badly misinformed Edelgard is. She's right about what's going on. She's wrong about why it's going on.

This is just a constant though. Dimitri is the same, he's right in that Edelgard is working with Those Who Slither in the Dark but completely wrong in why she's doing it or how responsible she is of the one thing Dimitri actually cares about.

capitaldelendaest posted:

Which is why he should have been in a different game where the story could have been tailored to him, and why he is a more interesting character on other routes. Who should have been GD house leader instead? Lysithea or Lorenz.

Honestly I like Claude a lot, I just see wasted potential that makes me sad.

I don't think Claude needed a different game, he just needed a route that wasn't just a reuse of Silver Snow with a few maps changed. It's one of those moments where the game's ambition being limited by the time it had shows.

Also I don't think Lorenz should be a house leader. Lorenz's role is one that's in the three houses, the secondary advisor that specifically serves as a counter to the leader. Ferdinand for the Eagles and Felix for the Lions serve as his counterparts in that, and they're needed since otherwise their respective Lords would go mostly uncontested. Sure, none of them are taken seriously, but their role is nonetheless important to keep the cast balanced.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

McTimmy posted:

Cool guy with no flaws Claude is really another consequence of the English. Japanese Claude was much more openly moodier and darker. There's still shades of Claude's negativity in ENG but boy does it get insanely subtle.

I can't stop talking about the translation help meeeeeee.

Can you give any examples of this? It sounds really interesting and may help with my issues with how the Golden Deer route and Claude are handled.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rand Brittain posted:

I think people are attributing a lot of political opinions to Dimitri when the truth is that he just isn't very cerebral and does whatever seems to be the job in front of him revenge and murder.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why is mounted mage female only? That's nonsense

I haven't heard of any male valkyries.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ROFL Octopus posted:

Traditions are meant to be broken.

You want IntSys to be Edelgard but they are Rhea.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Taear posted:

It kinda looks like it's using the awakening class picture? That might be why.

In gendered class related discussion has anyone ever made a character a Hero?

I made my BL Byleth one because I happened to have the axe rank to recruit... Hilda, I think, and I wanted to at least try the class.

Also Cipher considers it MByleth's canon Advanced class but I didn't know that until later.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tenebrais posted:

I've been thinking about Verdant Wind, and how relatively detached it is from Claude or the Alliance's motivations, and had some thoughts as to what I'd change to improve that. And I think a key part of that would be having Duke Gloucester be in league with the Agarthans.

All of this sounds extremely good and would greatly help Verdant Wind's irrelevance issues. Now I kind of wish it was true.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dpulex posted:

The thing about 3 houses is that's it's a bad strategy game with bad difficulty balancing. Your choices are braindead easy or easy mode.

Yeah, it's great. I love this dumb game.

Cythereal posted:

It's, uh, different from Atrocity (which is pointless) and Falling Star (which is tactically interesting but I wouldn't say is overpowered).

Claude is overpowered in a completely different way, even without Falling Star, he has the literal best class in the game that no one else can have and that breaks the game in half too.

Dimitri just gets kind of hosed. Could've at least given him a horse, IntSys.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tae posted:

I think I may be the only one that beat Three Houses Hard without ever using the ability. I dunno if I misread it or what, but I didn't learn about Bite The Dust Axe version until after beating it.

I was too scared about not using my super cool weapons because they could break and also didn't get what Raging Storm did.

It was quite the waste since I just ended up with a bunch of barely-used Relics (and a nearly-broken Lance of Ruin because gently caress Falcon Knights)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mercedes' relic is pretty good, it blocks weaknesses and critical hits. It's utterly worthless on Mercedes, but give it to a Wyvern or Falcon and now they don't have an arrow weakness and can't get crit, which is useful to say the least.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Melomane Mallet posted:

Here: Edelgard is emperor of Adrestia; she has every right to kick out the church and institute whatever societal reforms she wants... in Adrestia. The problem is that she's an imperialist who thinks of the Kingdom and Alliance as parts of her empire and therefore she also has the right to tell them what to do, and if she's gotta use an army to do it, that's fine with her. "Stop making me invade you!", etc.

Ah yes, merely changing Adrestia itself. That will work, no doubt. It worked so well in history...oh wait, it caused the Church to split the empire from within to lower its power which itself brought other wars. Don't forget that the Kingdom and the Alliance exist explicitly because of Rhea's actions against the Empire.

Violence was the literal only option. Both culture and society are controlled by Rhea, and she's made goddamn sure that they'll follow her ideals no matter how many must suffer from it. Even if, miraculously, Rhea didn't subvert your "change Adrestia alone" operation from within - what makes you think she wouldn't just brand them all as heretics and send them to be killed? She sure as hell did that in the story proper and she would definitely do it again because that's her way of keeping her insane plan alive. You either walk the path she set up for you with no questions, serve her in spite of not doing so (Cyril, Shamir) or you die.

That doesn't mean Edelgard's actions aren't overboard though. There was no real reason to attack the Alliance beyond paranoia, since Claude was perfectly fine staying out of the war. Part of it was involved, sure, but bringing down the capital is of dubious utility. Faerghus, though, needed to fall no matter what since Dimitri and his people were aggresively pro-Church, and it served them well in how Rhea uncaringly set them on fire.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I'm so excited to play through two more times once the DLC comes out aaaaa!!!

I would if the fourth pack could be bought alone but since you have to buy all the DLC together I'm genuinely uninterested.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Golden ending route where Byleth hits endgame, realizes she can fix everything with her full control over time, and then Divine Pulses all the way to the beginning of the game.

She then punches all three Lords and Rhea with her S+ Gauntlet rank until they work together to actually fix poo poo instead of starting a gigantic war.

The Agarthians are easily defeated afterwards and everyone is happy and full of punch wounds forever after.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm going to defend Rodrigue here. It's absolutely true he said a really lovely thing to Felix when Glenn died - but not only does he make it clear that he really regrets it, what Felix never seems to consider is that Rodrigue was grieving just as much as Felix himself was when he said it. Felix lost his brother but Rodrigue lost his son. Grieving people say and do things they don't mean. Believe me, I know that personally.

Rodrigue then does what he can trying to reforge his relationship with Felix, but the latter's still wounded and has closed himself off to everything but the sword in response to his brother's death and how everyone glorifies it.

I can't call Rodrigue a great dad or anything, because he's written as a flawed person, but I can definitely call him a human dad. He genuinely loves his son and tries to do what's right, but he's also dealing with a bad mistake from the past, sadness after losing a son, and his own loyalties to Faerghus and feudal ideology getting in the way of a proper reconciliation with the one family he has left. Not to mention how his son isn't the friendliest person at the best of times, with several other characters (for instance, Seteth) calling him out on closing himself off to everyone when a lot of people genuinely care for him, and even that's just a result of the same trauma.

tl;dr: Rodrigue deserved better than dying to cure Dimitri's insanity.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Heran Bago posted:

Is the story significantly different between the three houses?
I'm just past time-skip on team blue and I'm curious with team red if the protagonist would be in-the-know about the plotting before that event, and if they would be fighting for the empire after that.

Yes. Once you get past the timeskip, all routes are extremely different from each other (except Verdant Wind and Silver Snow which are far closer to each other than they should be) and you see everything from the point of view and actions of each Lord, so you get very different information, not to mention completely different events.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cattail Prophet posted:

Not that it meaningfully changes the context of his behavior either way, but is there any evidence to suggest that Sylvain is actually sleeping with his flings?

None and if anything, there's enough evidence to suggest he doesn't. His issues come entirely by the fact that he sees his Crest as the only part of him anyone else could be interested in, making it more than clear that he does not want to pass it along. Risking the birth of a bastard is something I can't ever see Sylvain doing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

indigi posted:

am I the only one who just doesn't care about Church people? I have my students to worry about, gently caress off Gilbert/Catherine/Shamir/etc

Seteth is extremely good and should not be insulted.

The rest I can take or leave though. Except Gilbert who I would most definitely not take if I had the option in Azure Moon.

Not coincidentally, these two are in the extreme opposites of dadness.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah in a series where Manuela is a character in her late 40s early 50s, I dunno why they insist that seteth is the only person who looks anime old but is actually anime young-ish adult.

Manuela is absolutely not that old. She's around 36 in Part 1, according to Hanneman's comment in their Paralogue (he points out he's 15 years older than her, Hanneman is 51).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cythereal posted:

Huh. Did not know that.

Playing a new Golden Deer game thanks to the pandemic keeping me home, and Raphael is turning out surprisingly well as a wyvern rider. People usually talk about Hilda as the Deer's flyer, but Raphael has a strength in axes, too, and no flying weakness, so he's been turning out remarkably well.

Ultimately, everyone will be a good Wyvern because Wyverns are busted as hell, but wasting Raphael's punching prowess by giving him a mount will always be sad and unacceptable for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Am I going to like this game if I like Heroes? Is the battle mechanics similar? Are any "famous" FE characters in this game?

1) Maybe? The main battle system is obviously similar enough, but it greatly varies beyond that. You have far more characters, far less grind, skills and weaponry are nowhere near as complicated, classes and gambits add a lot, etc. You'll have to test it and find out, but I'd definitely put the mainline FEs way above Heroes on gameplay and writing, so...I can't say for sure, but you'll probably like it!

2) As I said before, the battle mechanics are similar but have more complexity since you aren't meant to do maps quickly, a map can take a long time but are also very fun, and you have a lot of pre-battle stuff to do as well. Nonetheless, it's still a strategy RPG where you move your characters like chess pieces and have them kill each other, so you'll enjoy that.

3) Depends on your definition of famous. 3H has no returning characters from old games apart from the ever-present Anna (who isn't playable if you don't buy DLC and is also quite bad), but also 3H's characters have themselves gained their own fame at this point.