Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I actually played through the game recently, and Annette definitely said the words 'I love you' to Mercedes in their A-rank. It might have been quietly put back in? Still weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
If you could gay marry Shamir she would be perfect.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I'd be happy with the option to gay marry Shamir or Manuela, or Lysithea so that you don't have to be MByleth to save her with pairing her with one of three specific people. But really, I wouldn't mind if they just dropped the whole 'Avatar' aspect and let the stories be led by actual characters. Byleth did grow on me with their facial expressions, as the game progress they actually convey some personality, I particularly like the concerned look they always give Alois when he makes a joke.

Hubert is definitely sub-Shamir tier to me as a partner, but I love his style, and that he is secretly a massive dork, like all goth kids. If he was a woman, maybe I'd rank him higher.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 3, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The real pro strat is marrying Shamir to Hubert because they are both too good for Byleth.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I find Sylvain worse because he actually hates women and frequently goes out of his way to mistreat them, whereas Lorenz is a run-of-the-mill dipshit. To clarify: Sylvain is a well written character, its just at this point in my life I'm fed up with men who hurt the women around them because of their own issues, and being expected to sypathize with them.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
You can mitigate the over-levelling of NG+ by raising an entire second team of characters, just swapping people around whenever they got too high-level. I used some characters I normally ignore that way, as a bonus. But the best function for NG+ is playing Maddening and making it into a reasonable hard mode to go between the regular difficulty of default hard mode and the masochistic new-file Maddening.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Marianne is also a great dancer, since she is a versatile caster and has a sword aptitude, plus a riding aptitude to get her to +1 move slightly faster. I'm playing on Maddening with Lysethia and Mercedes as my offensive and defensive casters, and I was really impressed with how Marianne performed. I put her in dancer just to keep fielding her, and she is definitely better as a dark knight or gremory, but I think she is the most powerful dancer I've had. Well, not counting the time I made Felix a dancer just to give him access to Sword Avoid +20, since he never actually spent time in the class.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I have a lot of difficulty using Flayn, and I'm holding out for the flier class that can use magic for her. Although I actually think the unit that wants it the most is Marianne, I've been wanting to put her on a pegasus without losing her spells since my first run of GD.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Hubert is among the best on CF and I love to hate him on other routes. His morality is entirely Edelgard dependant but he is insanely entertaining. Also the analysis that TWSITD are trying to have Dimitri and Edelard kill each other seems entirely supported by the text, and I've played every route. Even if they intended to have him excecuted, it seems like this was their plan B. Uhhh, what else. We as the audience know that Edelgard is working against TWSITD, but even though yes, she logically couldn't have been responsible for the Tragedy at Duscur, but she is visibly working with them against the Church for crimes the Church has committed that only she knows about, it's not insane for people who possess zeroof her knowledge (and people personally harmed in Duscur) to assume she is willingly collaborating and not be willing to hear her out. That isn't her fault, and is sad.

Note: I am pro Edelgard, and I feel the above problems are more problems with shoehorning TWSITD into the game weakening the writing than problems with her. It's definitely a believable tragic flaw that she can't reach out, just like it's a believable tragic flaw that Dmitri can't move past his need for revenge.

My only problem with Best Boy Claude is also writing, they shoehorned him in as a main character without having time/energy/willingness to write a story for him on the GD route outside of changing some interstitials, and it weakens the whole route, especially on the second half. GD should absolutely be a route where you can distance yourself from Rhea and the Church, and Claude's story doesn't work because it's about breaking down the borders between Alymra and Fodlan, and you never get to actually GO to Alymra, and they are barely involved. Meanwhile the goal of changing Fodlan's culture is accomplished by Edelgard in all routes via her willingness to start a revolution, so players are left with nothing. I don't buy the idea that Claude has no investment in Fodlan and the Alliance because he has a stake in it due to his heritage, being the source of his ill-treatment in Alymra and if he really was 'treating it as his gap year' he had every opportunity to gently caress off back to Alymra when the war started and refused in every route until he feels the chaos in Fodlan is managable and the immediate danger to the Alliance is passed or can be addressed by whoever Byleth is with. I still say his main problem is his route isn't written for his character, which both Edelgard and Dmitro DO get, and is the reason that he seems like a more interesting character and strategist in other routes\in the first half of his own route.

TL;DR Edelgard was right but did do some things wrong (and her route is best), Dmitri's assumptions aren't as insane as they seem, he also did things wrong and was less right, Claude should be able to cut ties with the Church or be in a game where he could actually have the story written with him in mind.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I'm mostly just salty Claude has so much potential that the game does nothing with on his own route, and that splitting him off into a different game would both improve him and let the Edelgard\Dmitri conflict has space to be a little better written but overall this FE game was super ambitious and nailed it in a way Fates didn't. So it's easy to be more understanding about the flaws due to running out of time to work.

Like imagine if instead of shoehorning Claude into the Church route, him in Almyra was a sequel game that engaged the fallout of Fodlan's changes and addressed the changes he wanted to do in Almyra, meanwhile Three Houses got a full 22 chapters for Crimson Flower.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
People say recruiting everyone defangs the sadness, but have to kill the house leads makes me sad enough that I don't feel that that is true. I just want to save all my idiot students, let me have this. (It is good that there is no way to have a golden route, but I like saving everyone I can).

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Like Clockwork posted:

Ah, so we should listen to the prince with an untreatable-due-to-tech-level unspecified mental disorder causing delusions and hallucinations and severe trauma who blindly follows the tyrant that caused the societal setup that caused a lot of his trauma in the first place/murdered people because of his delusions instead and stays in power despite knowing what happens when he breaks down instead, I see, this makes sense

Fake E: they're both rulers in systems of highly centralized power they both suck as rulers because the system they operate under is innately unjust

I mean the part about blindly following the tyrant would be a lot more damning if anyone outside of Edelgard had any idea that that was what Rhea was doing. Yeah she does come off as sketch, but it's honestly a huge leap from that to the reality of what actually has happened and (understandably, because of circumstances) the only person who learns what Edelgard knows is Byleth on CF, and she almost doesn't even reach out that much.

Also it is good to overthrow the church but the imperial revanchism doesn't sit well with me, but that's because I'm sick of real world constant justification of imperialism as 'what needs to be done'. It's not like Edelgard had better options that she could risk taking from her position, though.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I didn't realize Edelgard had missed the registration date to run for archbishop.

Sure, she has flaws (I am legitimately surprised no one has brought up her tendency to edit the truth) but I'm not exactly certain how else one is supposed to depose an immortal god-queen with a private military force and the ability to order the continent into holy war.

I mean this is true, in the story as written she didn't have a good alternative. Also the opportunity to make Fantasy Lenin your gay wife is amazing tbh.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
1. Hilda
2. Claude
3. Edelgard
4. Felix
5. Marianne

I've gotten to the third to last Chapter on NG+ Maddening Blue Lions and am hitting a wall in a way that didn't happen on CF and GD. Critical hits from siege tomes are eating all my Divine pulses and I just can't seem to press forward to eliminate ballisticians and siege tome havers without getting slaughtered.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 9, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Given that Edelgard's #2 is Hubert (who is almost definitely willing to poison people), I think her inability to know Claude's agenda might be a slightly more pressing concern for her.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 9, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah, it's part of why he's such a good character, but I'm pretty sure Edelgard knows that his methods are less than honorable and that in and of itself is not a problem for her.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
the only thing hubert has ever done to anger me is learn meteor as an npc but not when he is on your team

individualized spell lists are cool and good, but it would also have been cool if they were more generous with the really useful spells

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Annette is cool because if you glue the Bolt Axe+ to her and make her a wyvern rider, now she is essentially a flying mage with two Rallies. I wish it was viable to do this in reverse with Hilda somehow.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah, you can always just skip right to the fight, but if you have an optimization-addled brain like me, you never will. I bet a lot of people who complain about it are bothered too much about the possibility of sub-par units to do so.

Hell, I dragged Felix up to A+ flying and went without a dancer to give him sword avoid +20 on the same playthrough, no regrets.

This optimization-damage is also the reason that I get bogged down in awakening and fates. Every single time, I tell myself it isn't going to turn into a massive slog mid-game as I compulsive optimize my unit's stats, supports, and children, and every time, I do. It might be related to my recent OCD diagnosis, or it might be just regular gamer-neurosis.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 9, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Eimi posted:

Yeah it's something that really hurts me with Awakening. The game lets me max out my characters stats and give them a perfect skillset. I'm going to do this even if it removes the...game part of it. Since after I do that I just mindlessly roll over everything. But I can't ignore that either.

It's almost like once the game gives us the option to optimize, our brains seize up and start to think of doing that as the actual game and rolling through the campaign as weird, optional set-dressing.

It also makes the ability to buy back skill mastery in 3H a really great quality of life improvement.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Eimi posted:

Yup. I appreciate when games at least account for this. Like when Sacred Stones opened up the tower dungeon. Did I stop the campaign to level everyone to max? Yup. But max was just 40 levels so it wasn't as bad. (Also it's been a while but I don't think it truly trivialized the game like doing so in Awakening did...) The endless nature of Awakening though.... The only way I resisted optimization was ships in Awakening, because optimizing ships is much different than building the perfect child soldier and I am not letting child soldiers get in the way of making sure everyone ends up with an appropriate spouse. :v:

Personally, I liked the solution in Fates (I know, I know), where you could decide on the availability of grinding via the version you bought, or better, 3H where choosing Hard or up means you are suddenly given a maximum of 3 chances per week to grind, and there is an opportunity cost. The finite amount of exp in classic FE games was always a draw for me because you have to be strategic in who you level and because it meant I couldn't give in to my worst impulses and just sit around compulsively levelling without penalty. But having the option for some limited grinding for catch-up is also good!

Agreed about the tower in Sacred Stones not triggering the same issue, and I really couldn't say why. Edit: Actually I think it is because like was said above, the lack of skills or missable treasure in that dungeon (iirc) means it doesn't feel like you are missing out if you don't 100% the tower.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 9, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I literally can't just play it like the old games and I suspect that is actually related to my OCD, but it's much less of a big deal with 3H since you can opt in to Hard and limit the amount of grinding possible. Also if it is an OCD thing I recognize that makes it kind of a personal issue and not some big indictment of the general game design, but it is nice to have options. Like having the option play classic or casual, the ability to do both I think is great and strengthens games.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Wark Say posted:

Ah, yeah. That was perhaps more than a bit insensitive and I apologize. :ohdear:

Oh, no offense taken! It's not like I know for certain the OCD is the cause, and if it is, 'levelling a lot in video game' is way better than other ways it has manifested. Basically my stance is just that options are always good, but I recognize that implementing those options is work for developers. : )

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 9, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I never bought the grinding dlc, so learning that it could become impossible to actually grind off is hilarious, but it's possible to screw yourself in that way in any FE game where grinding is not available through poor levelling. The 3H approach seems like a fairly sane way to limit grinding for people who prefer it being limited or absent.

^I learned the hard way a while back that a melee enemey with a ranged battalion might not have that calculated into the danger zone display, or their predicted movement\attack!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I have strong opinions about Claude and am copy pasting this from earlier

My only problem with Best Boy Claude is also writing, they shoehorned him in as a main character without having time/energy/willingness to write a story for him on the GD route outside of changing some interstitials, and it weakens the whole route, especially on the second half.
GD should absolutely be a route where you can distance yourself from Rhea and the Church.

Claude's story doesn't work because it's about breaking down the borders between Alymra and Fodlan, and you never get to actually GO to Alymra, and they are barely involved. Meanwhile the goal of changing Fodlan's culture is accomplished by Edelgard in all routes via her willingness to start a revolution, so players are left with nothing.

I don't buy the idea that Claude has no investment in Fodlan and the Alliance because he has a stake in it due to his heritage, being the source of his ill-treatment in Alymra and if he really was 'treating it as his gap year' he had every opportunity to gently caress off back to Alymra when the war started and refused in every route until he feels the chaos in Fodlan is managable and the immediate danger to the Alliance is passed or can be addressed by whoever Byleth is with. If he was really just loving off when he couldn't get anything out of the Alliance anymore, he'd have left during the five years the Alliance was locked in a stalemate without much hope of anything but getting inevitably overrun by the Empire- to me he is clearly sticking it out because their are people he cares about there.

I say his main problem is his route isn't written for his character, which both Edelgard and Dmitri DO get, and is the reason that he seems like a more interesting character and strategist in other routes\in the first half of his own route.

Also his willingness to leave is hilarious as a final 'gently caress you' to Lorenz on every route.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 12, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

WhalerWren posted:

Claude's from a nation that declared war on Fodlan three hundred years ago, never pushed for peace, and constantly raids them. His take is "I can't imagine why Fodlans hate Almyrans, clearly they're the ones who need to open their borders!" He makes no attempt to curtail Almyran aggression until well into VW and his referrals to Fodlan as a backwater or primitive can make him come across almost as a coloniser. Still a good boy tho.

To be fair, because we never see Alymra in the game we don't know 1) How much power Claude has over them (clearly not enough to command respect, despite being an heir to the throne, he is treated badly because of his heritage- we don't know if he is THE heir or AN heir, and it always seemed like his return to Almyra was to solidify his claim to the throne, but admittedly that is only implied in his S ending with Byleth, and 2) Alymra's side of the story- we only know from Fodlan's perspective what went down historically between Fodlan and Almyra, in a game where not getting the whole story depending on your perspective is a Whole Thing.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
i'm coming to the conclusion that doing my maddening ng+ runs of VW and CF first lulled me into a false sense of security now that I've hit AW endgame

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

animeluva1 posted:

Declaring Hilda is her favorite
Such refined taste at such a young age...

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Black Eagles (Edelgard) > Blue Lions > Church Route if you really must

This introduces the most story variety, though since Church is similar to GD and BL in major ways, there isn't a great place to slot it in, I'd do it as far away from GD as possible though.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I raised about 15-18 people on every Maddening run I did and don't regret it- some because I wanted to do late-game paralouges that they woud need to pull their weight for (Caspar, for instance), some because I still felt the need not to over-level, so I kept a 'B team' for paralouges when it felt like main chapters were getting too easy. I can see where it might start to hurt a bit in Endgame if you spread yourself too thin, but there was no danger of softlocking myself by having my dudes too underlevelled like in some classic FE games.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Cnidaria posted:

So are the ashen wolves basically just a bunch of goth kids hanging out in the basement going “yeah we’re totally our own house”

Finally a house I relate to.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

DC Murderverse posted:

"bisexual" more like "bylethsexual" the only dude he can marry is the PC, c'mon let him hook up with Lorenz or Ignatz

Kinda seems like they are trying to address the complaints about anemic same sex supports for MByleth compared to FByleth. Though they should have made both the DLC boys by to satisfy calls for a buff m\m husband. Also the ladies because I like them. Sorry to Dorothea and Mercedes, either or those girls are more my type.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 17, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
If I have the money to spare, I'm willing to pay for the DLC to get the new classes, I've really missed Dark Flier.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

KittyEmpress posted:

All the ashen wolves are confirmed from data mining to A rank each other, with endings. Whether they're romantic is another question of course.

In fact, every support they have apparently goes to A, so Balthus has an ending with Claude and etc.

I hope its romantic and we finally have biClaude.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Rhugor posted:

So I just finished up my first play through of the game as Black Eagle Crimson Flower route. I really enjoyed it but very much understand the complaints of it feeling unfinished. I felt it needed like 5 more minutes of dialogue or cutscenes, and maybe an extra mission to really tie things together more coherently. What House or Route would ya’ll recommend as a second play through from there?

My boy Raphael was a blast to use and was a murderbeast for me, and had a really great final card with Shamir, so I’m tempted to go Golden Deer. Though I have heard complaints in this thread and elsewhere that it doesn’t quite deliver on Claude as a character?

Edited for spelling/grammar

It doesn't, it doesn't really give him a story arc tailored to his strengths and weaknesses the way CF and AM do Edelgard and Dmitri. It's really evident he was just shoehorned into a route written for a different story. That said, Claude's a fun character to spend time with, and GD is enjoyable enough. But the best written as a complete story is probably Blue Lions, imo.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The most important thing is to take a position on Edelgard and then fight everyone else to the death over it.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
My all-flier run is just around the corner!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It says something that even Mortal Savant looks better than Enlightened One, at least it has a coherent design. I like Byleth best in Assassin, it looks good with her color scheme.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It makes sense that Byleth dresses like that because she was raised by wolves Jeralt and taught nothing but swordfighting and fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Just getting her on a wyvern does wonders for a struggling Hilda, and while I am sure you can do that with caspar, it's really easy to do for Hilda.