Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Hello and welcome to the eating rice with just soy sauce MEGATHREAD!

After its creation in, of all things, the Japanese manga series K-On! in 2008, over a decade later its now taking the world by storm. Such luminaries as Zoe Kravitz have recently spoken out about how this culinary marvel has changed their eating habits. All the threads about this are getting pretty out of hand so I've been asked by a few senior regulars to make this megathread to contain discussion.

I'll start things out with a quick restapie

Rice with just soy sauce
Prep - 2 minutes
Cooking - varies

2 cups white rice
4 cups water
soy sauce

1) Rinse rice until water runs clear

2) Prepare rice as directed by rice cooker

3) In the rice cooker pot, combine rice with soy sauce to taste and fluff

4) Serve and enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Has anybody noticed that the soy sauce in packets tastes better than the ones in the bottle? Or is it just me? Is it a trick to get you to buy the bottle and they fill it with cheaper stuff?

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
The ones in packet taste like rear end, bottle crew forever, I will fight you

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Lifehack: replace the rice cooking water with soy sauce directly, then you don't have to waste precious time mixing it in later.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Has anyone tried this with brown rice? Would that work?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

This is going to be a little *OUT THERE* but if you also put some worcestershire in there, it can really kick things up a notch

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Has anyone tried this with brown rice? Would that work?

If you do this I am straight up calling the police over your crimes from hell

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I bought some black rice and I can't tell how much soy sauce I added. Help!

strong bird
May 12, 2009

toplitzin posted:

I bought some black rice and I can't tell how much soy sauce I added. Help!

Relax. Start over. Remember that you can always add more soy sauce. That's what 'season to taste' is all about. Start slow and then stop when you've reached the flavour profile that you're after.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I have a treat for all you soyheads in this thread.

Here's the recipie for my famous rice sauce. I whip up a batch of this every so often and occasionally use it instead of or in addtion to soy sauce in rice with just soy sauce. It's a bit of a cheat but I think it respects the ideal of the dish since teriyaki is based on soy sauce.

First you buy a bottle of any standard teriyaki sauce. What they won't tell you down at P.F. Changs is that this stuff is basically just soy sauce with sugar and vinegar or something in it, but that's besides the point.

What you do is empty it into a larger bottle (available on Amazon.com and probably Walmart) and then 1:1 dilute it with distilled white vinegar (also availablon Amazon.com).

Now its time to doctor the sauce - procure and combine with your sauce:
Cracked black pepper, a lot of it (1/4 cup berries)
Garlic power, a lot of it (like 3 teaspoons maybe)
Sesame seeds, a grip of them - Warning. Do not use sesame seeds if you are allegric to sesame seeds.

Combine with the sauce. Store in a cool dark place. I put my rice sauce in a dark wine bottle with a synthetic cork for dramatic effect but it would probably be better stored in one of those bottles I talked about earlier.

Should keep indefinitely so feel free to stockpile! I enjoy the process so nowadays I only make small batches.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Charles posted:

Has anybody noticed that the soy sauce in packets tastes better than the ones in the bottle? Or is it just me? Is it a trick to get you to buy the bottle and they fill it with cheaper stuff?

Get you some Chinese Dark Soy Sauce, got that same flavor. That or find a bottle of Maggi and spike your soy for that deeper taste.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
. I spend 6 hours in my local asiab market daily every day asking the old lady there to teach me how to make tokpokki and say anyong , . They're all impressed with me there

If you are soy sauce doesn't have an insanely high TN value I feel bad for u :smug :smugdog:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I just wish importing rice and shōyu from Japan was less expensive. Using calrose and locally brewed kikkoman just doesn’t have the same aji (flavor).

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

mercenarynuker posted:

This is going to be a little *OUT THERE* but if you also put some worcestershire in there, it can really kick things up a notch

real "foodies" (gourmands) go with fish sauce, n00b

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Charles posted:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

mercenarynuker posted:

Rice and worcestershire was one of my standbys in college. A beautiful marriage of asian and british cuisine.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Rice and worcestershire was one of my standbys in college. A beautiful marriage of asian and british cuisine.

Worcestershire was made when a british guy tried to re-create fish sauce, or so I've heard.

rice talk: I like doing half, or less, stock (chicken,veg, beef, w/e) and half water with the ratio. Adds a nice undertone.

More than half stock is overpowering for me, so experiment for yourself, explore your desires.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Been wanting to try this recipe out but I don't have any rice on hand. Is there a decent substitute? I have corn flakes, can I just use those in a rice cooker and add soy sauce?

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

Tom Gorman posted:

Been wanting to try this recipe out but I don't have any rice on hand. Is there a decent substitute? I have corn flakes, can I just use those in a rice cooker and add soy sauce?

Oatmeal and soy sauce is a good combo

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
I also recommend adding an raw egg to the rice and soy sauce.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Tom Gorman posted:

Cut up spaghetti real fine

gothy
Sep 26, 2019
I have a well good gluten free tamari soy sauce I use on this and it just, its brilliant. Sometimes I have it with nori or an egg on top just, because. i'm that weeb. Would highly recommend mixing in the egg whites but leaving the yolk till its barely set.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Tom Gorman posted:

you got some canned chickpeas lying around? they're pretty good with soy sauce if you mush em up a little

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tom Gorman posted:

Do you have a potato ricer? I'm not sure what one is but it sounds like you could use it to turn a potato into rice.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Rice with soy sauce = awesome

Rice with butter = awesome

Rice with butter and soy sauce = meh

Am I alone here?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Resting Lich Face posted:

Rice with soy sauce = awesome

Rice with butter = awesome

Rice with butter and soy sauce = meh

Am I alone here?

You're all alone and will be forever.

To spice things up a little try a dash of hotsauce with your rice and soysauce!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Eat This Glob posted:

real "foodies" (gourmands) go with fish sauce, n00b

Red Boat Fish Sauce and rice is so loving good.... even if the sauce kinda smells like feet, tastes delicious.

Putting soy sauce in chili changed my life.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Soricidus posted:

I just wish importing rice and shōyu from Japan was less expensive. Using calrose and locally brewed kikkoman just doesn’t have the same aji (flavor).

Sir, for $8.75 this will gently caress your whole world up https://www.thejapanesepantry.com/products/doubled-brewed-soy-sauce

We used this in a Michelin sushi spot I worked at. I eat this over sushi rice with an avocado diced up 3-4 times a week. Also they have some salt roasted sesame seeds on that website that'll make you feel like you've never had sesame seeds before

edit:

I really can't express how awesome that soy is. You'll literally be like Hillary with her hot sauce bottle in her purse and carry it around with you. I use it to season curry at home too. Or if you have an asian mart that sells sushi grade tuna, just slice the poo poo up and dip it in there. You really don't need anything else.

tokyo reject fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 3, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

furikake.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Haha I came here just to post this. If you ain't using furikake I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but bland rice ain't one.

You can use it in tons of other cooking applications as well.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Taima posted:

You can use it in tons of other cooking applications as well.

Put it on a steak. It's loving amazing.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

tokyo reject posted:

Sir, for $8.75 this will gently caress your whole world up https://www.thejapanesepantry.com/products/doubled-brewed-soy-sauce

We used this in a Michelin sushi spot I worked at. I eat this over sushi rice with an avocado diced up 3-4 times a week. Also they have some salt roasted sesame seeds on that website that'll make you feel like you've never had sesame seeds before

Got some of this on this recommendation and holy poo poo... I'm not sure I can go back to any other soy sauce.

My only reference for soy sauce is the stuff they give you at cheap Chinese carry out restaurants that tastes like poo poo and I'm pretty sure is just flat out not actually soy sauce, and Kikkoman which I think tastes good but way too salty for me imo to use as a condiment.

The stuff you linked tastes incredible and the salt level is perfectly balanced for my tastes and turns each piece of rice into a jewel flavor bomb.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

tokyo reject posted:

edit:

I really can't express how awesome that soy is. You'll literally be like Hillary with her hot sauce bottle in her purse and carry it around with you. I use it to season curry at home too. Or if you have an asian mart that sells sushi grade tuna, just slice the poo poo up and dip it in there. You really don't need anything else.

Thank you for posting this, I’ve been looking for some good real properly brewed soy for awhile now. Any other recommendations from this site?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
man what could be worthy of 45 dollar konbu?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Meh. I prefer couscous with just vegetable stock now.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

strong bird posted:

Meh. I prefer couscous with just vegetable stock now.

Just chuck one of these in with your grains + water.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Sazón Goya is the poo poo in your bulgur and your cous cous. I always get my American pal to send me it in a care package because I've never seen it in my country. And the nuclear orange colour is brings is mighty pleasing!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

add curry paste to your soy sauce and throw it in your rice water. get like 20 spoonfuls and plop it all in a pan. throw several eggs on it and cook til the eggs are kinda cooked. boom, curry fried rice.

then add a lot of cheese to it because :911:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I was making spaghetti aglio e olio and thought "what about this but with rice." It's good! Is there some sort of international food authority I can go to to lay claim to the concept of frying rice in garlicky oil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

immortalyawn posted:

Just chuck one of these in with your grains + water.

I love how every box of maggi looks like it was bought two decades ago.