Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Hello and welcome to the eating rice with just soy sauce MEGATHREAD!

After its creation in, of all things, the Japanese manga series K-On! in 2008, over a decade later its now taking the world by storm. Such luminaries as Zoe Kravitz have recently spoken out about how this culinary marvel has changed their eating habits. All the threads about this are getting pretty out of hand so I've been asked by a few senior regulars to make this megathread to contain discussion.

I'll start things out with a quick restapie

Rice with just soy sauce
Prep - 2 minutes
Cooking - varies

2 cups white rice
4 cups water
soy sauce

1) Rinse rice until water runs clear

2) Prepare rice as directed by rice cooker

3) In the rice cooker pot, combine rice with soy sauce to taste and fluff

4) Serve and enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

toplitzin posted:

I bought some black rice and I can't tell how much soy sauce I added. Help!

Relax. Start over. Remember that you can always add more soy sauce. That's what 'season to taste' is all about. Start slow and then stop when you've reached the flavour profile that you're after.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I have a treat for all you soyheads in this thread.

Here's the recipie for my famous rice sauce. I whip up a batch of this every so often and occasionally use it instead of or in addtion to soy sauce in rice with just soy sauce. It's a bit of a cheat but I think it respects the ideal of the dish since teriyaki is based on soy sauce.

First you buy a bottle of any standard teriyaki sauce. What they won't tell you down at P.F. Changs is that this stuff is basically just soy sauce with sugar and vinegar or something in it, but that's besides the point.

What you do is empty it into a larger bottle (available on Amazon.com and probably Walmart) and then 1:1 dilute it with distilled white vinegar (also availablon Amazon.com).

Now its time to doctor the sauce - procure and combine with your sauce:
Cracked black pepper, a lot of it (1/4 cup berries)
Garlic power, a lot of it (like 3 teaspoons maybe)
Sesame seeds, a grip of them - Warning. Do not use sesame seeds if you are allegric to sesame seeds.

Combine with the sauce. Store in a cool dark place. I put my rice sauce in a dark wine bottle with a synthetic cork for dramatic effect but it would probably be better stored in one of those bottles I talked about earlier.

Should keep indefinitely so feel free to stockpile! I enjoy the process so nowadays I only make small batches.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Meh. I prefer couscous with just vegetable stock now.