Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play “LEGO Batman”

LEGO Batman is my least favorite of the Traveler's Tales LEGO games. That's not to say I think it's bad, or even that I hate playing it. There are a lot of things to appreciate, but I would still describe it as... groggy. The whole game feels a little bit out of it. Like it really needs a nap so it can come back at full speed.

Why play this?

I like the LEGO games, and I think trying to better appreciate this one is a worthwhile endeavor. It may not be as sharp as future releases, but we wouldn't have LEGO Batman 3 without it.

How play this?

We'll be going through all the levels in Story Mode, and then I'll be unlocking the extra junk off-screen. I'm not 100%ing the game, but I'm playing enough that you get to see all the content I think is worth sharing, including the Super Secret Bonus Stages in Wayne Manor and Arkham.

Spoilers are fine, I guess. There aren't exactly a lot of twists and turns, but some of the gags are a little cute.

Videos

Riddler's Revenge

Power-Crazed Penguin

Robin's rear end

Intermission

Last Laugh

Iceman

Riddle Solved

Nearly Co-Op

Toilet Piledriver

Appealing Surface

Goodbye Gotham

Extras

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
My guess is that this is still early in Traveler's Tales' saga of designing Lego games so they haven't quite gotten the hang of how to design Lego games.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Recently, they released a game called DC supervillains that lets you play as the bad guys in thier own story. Its weird to think that this game did it first, this early on.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

My guess is that this is still early in Traveler's Tales' saga of designing Lego games so they haven't quite gotten the hang of how to design Lego games.

LEGO Star Wars was better, but I have to admit this was their first attempt at a combat-heavy game with a more serious atmosphere, so that probably made it harder.

Tombot posted:

Recently, they released a game called DC supervillains that lets you play as the bad guys in thier own story. Its weird to think that this game did it first, this early on.

DC Supervillains is great, it's oozing style and has Joker and The Thief as its title music.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Power-Crazed Penguin

i like these levels

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Oh, I think there's one more level that meets the heights of this. We won't get there for a while.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

grandalt posted:

Oh, I think there's one more level that meets the heights of this. We won't get there for a while.

I'm curious which one you mean, but maybe recording commentary for it later will bring the answer to me.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

GamesAreSupernice posted:

LEGO Star Wars was better, but I have to admit this was their first attempt at a combat-heavy game with a more serious atmosphere, so that probably made it harder.

Personally, I think the LEGO games were better when they didn't have voiced cutscenes--animating body language on these characters, especially when they imitate the limited points of articulation on a real figurine, adds a comic tone to all of the scenes.

And I think going "more serious" for superhero stuff is a move in the wrong direction. These guys are larger than life (both literally and figuratively), they fight a rogues gallery full of hilariously insane villains, and their brightly-colored costumes have the underwear on the outside, for crying out loud! I believe one of the major motivations in Joker's antagonism of the Batman is that Joker thinks Batman would make the perfect straight guy in a comedy duo, but 1) Joker's sense of humor literally kills people and 2) Batman being the epitome of >( in every situation can be leveraged for all sorts of laughs.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

dotchan posted:

Personally, I think the LEGO games were better when they didn't have voiced cutscenes--animating body language on these characters, especially when they imitate the limited points of articulation on a real figurine, adds a comic tone to all of the scenes.

And I think going "more serious" for superhero stuff is a move in the wrong direction. These guys are larger than life (both literally and figuratively), they fight a rogues gallery full of hilariously insane villains, and their brightly-colored costumes have the underwear on the outside, for crying out loud! I believe one of the major motivations in Joker's antagonism of the Batman is that Joker thinks Batman would make the perfect straight guy in a comedy duo, but 1) Joker's sense of humor literally kills people and 2) Batman being the epitome of >( in every situation can be leveraged for all sorts of laughs.

I think the voiced LEGO games are far better, personally. The stories may be somewhat more serious, but they're written well. Particularly LEGO Batman 3 and LEGO Dimensions. It's a bit of a tone whiplash, though, I can acknowledge that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Robin's rear end

robin is better than batman deserves

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
What do you think made Lego Indiana Jones unique if you don't mind my asking?

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 2, 2019

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

What do you thin made Lego Indiana Jones unique if you don't mind my asking?

The way it utilized a player inventory system for combat purposes, such as being able to throw objects at enemies or carry weapons around. And the whip. I mean, Catwoman has a whip too, but it doesn't do the platforming stuff Indie's whip does. Let's not forget you can also tie up NPCs and literally drag them around like luggage.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Okay I was wondering since you didn't mention it, Lego Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings so I was curious if there was anything they each did that wasn't in the others.

I've only ever played demos of Star Wars II and Indiana Jones though I did watch Chip and Ironicus's LP of LEGO Star Wars as well as BioEnchanted's LP of Lego City Undercover, all of which I enjoyed.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Okay I was wondering since you didn't mention it, Lego Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings so I was curious if there was anything they each did that wasn't in the others.

I've only ever played demos of Star Wars II and Indiana Jones though I did watch Chip and Ironicus's LP of LEGO Star Wars as well as BioEnchanted's LP of Lego City Undercover, all of which I enjoyed.

LEGO Harry Potter does a lot of creative things with magic usage, sort of like the force powers in Star Wars but more ever-present and integrated into the game world. There are also a variety of different spells and "wizarding duels".

LEGO City Undercover is its own beast, really changed up the way open-world games work.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Well gently caress now I just want to play more LEGO games.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Intermission

You're Davy Jonesin' for an ownsin'.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Last Laugh

Time to fight crime in a semi-adequate final confrontation!

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
The last level was what I was talking about early. I liked it as a showdown.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I do like the Teen Titans version Killer Moth though admittedly that version is a geneticist who mutanted himself into a form based the original's Charaxes form.

Unrelated to Batman, have you seen this video? I'm curious if you agree with his assessment on game design near the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jY6NQ-CmGs

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

grandalt posted:

The last level was what I was talking about early. I liked it as a showdown.

I really appreciated the Joker Helicopter and the atmosphere of the inner church

Chimera-gui posted:

I do like the Teen Titans version Killer Moth though admittedly that version is a geneticist who mutanted himself into a form based the original's Charaxes form.

Unrelated to Batman, have you seen this video? I'm curious if you agree with his assessment on game design near the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jY6NQ-CmGs

I'm generally in favor of developers getting the most control over how their product is presented to the player, especially with something as important as a control setup

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I figured you'd agree with him since he's definitely right on this, especially on the type of controls a game should have.

The thing about tank controls is that they are intended for tanks and while some games like the Tomb Raider series were able to use them decently do to the fine positioning you have to do to line up for some of the jumps, it's rarely ideal for anything that isn't a vehicle.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I figured you'd agree with him since he's definitely right on this, especially on the type of controls a game should have.

The thing about tank controls is that they are intended for tanks and while some games like the Tomb Raider series were able to use them decently do to the fine positioning you have to do to line up for some of the jumps, it's rarely ideal for anything that isn't a vehicle.

I think it can be used to roughly simulate human movement in situations where tension is an important gameplay element. That doesn't describe Tonic Trouble at all though.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I can see that, I think the issue is more how it is used and why.

Like yes, humans are technically capable of the types of movement synonymous with tank controls like turning in place or walking backwards and there are situations where that type of movement is even a necessity like in Tomb Raider but the issue with tank controls is that this not the only range of movement we're capable of and it's not always the most practical either, especially in a platform game like Croc, Rayman or Rascal.

Tomb Raider using tank controls makes sense to a certain degree, Rascal does not. This isn't even the first time he's talked about tank controls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvuB0OuiPmY

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 7, 2019

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Iceman

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I can see that, I think the issue is more how it is used and why.

Like yes, humans are technically capable of the types of movement synonymous with tank controls like turning in place or walking backwards and there are situations where that type of movement is even a necessity like in Tomb Raider but the issue with tank controls is that this not the only range of movement we're capable of and it's not always the most practical either, especially in a platform game like Croc, Rayman or Rascal.

Tomb Raider using tank controls makes sense to a certain degree, Rascal does not. This isn't even the first time he's talked about tank controls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvuB0OuiPmY

I think in Croc they just didn't know any better. But you did have an "instant 180 degree turn" button in that game to make things easier.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Either that or this was just before analog became the standard since the first game is more analog that seem like tank controls do the do camera and the ability the walk backwards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kIUpmVcg6s

This coupled with the sequel being proper analog suggests that Argonaut understood that analog was becoming the standard.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Riddle Solved

I suppose you could say he achieved his goal, if his goal was to reach the gold and not escape with it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Nearly Co-Op

playing as Bane made this worth it

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I like that Bane is so apoplectic that Penguin ditched him that his awareness of escape methods is nonexistent. It reminds me of the dumbass who tried to use a bike as a weapon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VxmI1FnTHI

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 11, 2019

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I like that Bane is so apoplectic that Penguin ditched him that his awareness of escape methods in nonexistent It reminds me of the dumbass who tried to use a bike as a weapon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VxmI1FnTHI

Yeah, there were many ways he could have escaped in that situation but he just got really pissed instead.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Toilet Piledriver

A small addendum: I really liked The Penguin's visual design in "The Batman".

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Most of The Batman's designs felt like they were doing their own take on the characters, in a way that still felt true to who they were.

Real shame about that Joker.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I like most of The Batman designs, especially Killer Croc. I always found it odd that he usually looks more like the Goomba from that live action Mario movie than an actual crocodile.

That's also why I like his design in Batman Unlimited.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Yeah, there were many ways he could have escaped in that situation but he just got really pissed instead.

I fully believe that was :thejoke: since Traveler's Tales' LEGO games love having a lack of self awareness as a running gag. I remember LEGO City Undercover doing this a lot, especially with Chase himself.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

fractalairduct posted:

Most of The Batman's designs felt like they were doing their own take on the characters, in a way that still felt true to who they were.

Real shame about that Joker.

I think The Joker's design in The Batman shook things up in a good way, and allowed for more expressive and acrobatic animation for the character

Chimera-gui posted:

I like most of The Batman designs, especially Killer Croc. I always found it odd that he usually looks more like the Goomba from that live action Mario movie than an actual crocodile.

That's also why I like his design in Batman Unlimited.

I haven't seen Batman Unlimited, I only know it from the McDonald's toy line

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Appealing Surface

i want to cry but my LEGO tears won't come out

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Goodbye Gotham

A farewell to story mode, including Killer Moth's only playable appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Extras

Local man gets tilted over LEGO Batman.