Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Hopefully I'm not using the wrong browser like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

I use chrome, like a boss. Check it out OP.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

any browser is good when you're browsing with friends :)

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

spb posted:

Hopefully I'm not using the wrong browser like an idiot.

dsyp

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Microsoft Edge is the best browser, op.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

w3m, none of this lynx nonsense

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

Yeah, but only if you get the preview version.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I am careful in how I connect to the internet.

Specifically, I refuse to connect through portals that would require me to identify myself, or to run any nontrivial nonfree Javascript code. I use to prevent nonfree Javascript code from running..

I don't mind giving an identity that isn't really me, if that works.

I often connect in a person's home. The person of course knows who I am, but that does not bother me. What I would object to is putting my identity in a database that can be searched. I prevent that by changing my mac address at each location.

I am careful in how I use the Internet.

I generally do not connect to web sites from my own machine, aside from a few sites I have some special relationship with. I usually fetch web pages from other sites by sending mail to a program (see https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/womb/hacks.git) that fetches them, much like wget, and then mails them back to me. Then I look at them using a web browser, unless it is easy to see the text in the HTML page directly. I usually try lynx first, then a graphical browser if the page needs it (using konqueror, which won't fetch from other sites in such a situation).

I occasionally also browse unrelated sites using IceCat via Tor. Except for rare cases, I do not identify myself to them. I think that is enough to prevent my browsing from being connected with me. IceCat blocks tracking tags and most fingerprinting methods.

I never pay for anything on the Web, because I cannot pay anonymously. Anything on the net that requires payment that would identify me, I don't do. (I made an exception for the fees for the stallman.org domain, since that is connected with me anyway.)

I avoid paying with credit cards generally. For freedom's sake, insist on paying cash. When a business pressures you to pay in an identified way, it's your chance to defend freedom by saying, "If you won't take my cash, no sale!"

I would not mind paying for a copy of an e-book or music recording on the Internet if I could do so anonymously, and it treated me justly in other ways (no DRM or EULA). But that option almost never exists. I keep looking for ways to make it exist.

For searching, I have mostly used DuckDuckGo for the past few years. It does work with JS disabled, but you have to follow a link before you search.

I also sometimes use ixquick.com. My usual precautions should stop them from knowing it is me.

I no longer use Google search, not even occasionally, because it sends me a broken CAPTCHA. I suspect the reason it tries to send me a CAPTCHA is that I am coming through Tor. I would answer the CAPTCHA if that worked.

I suspect that the reason the CAPTCHA is broken is that it depends on nonfree Javascript. I won't run that in my computer. I am not willing to let Google see where I am, so I won't bypass Tor. Therefore, I can't use Google search any more.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

yeah WebKit is the best

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

who cares. nothing matters op.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

:hmmyes:

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 27, 2019

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
womb/hacks

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:69snypa:

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
the lomarf browser

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

vivaldi

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

quote:

Opera opens early access to the world’s first gaming browser, Opera GX
June 11, 2019

The new PC browser lets gamers control their computer’s CPU and memory usage to make their gaming and streaming smoother. It also features Twitch integration and numerous customization options.

Los Angeles, California/ Oslo, Norway – There are currently more than 1.2 billion* PC gamers. Today, Opera unveils the world’s first web browser tailored to their specific needs. The early access program to the Opera GX browser (for Windows) starts right now with an official launch planned later this year.

“Opera GX is built for people who love games and spend a lot of time building their setups. We want to give them a browser to perfectly match their beautiful machines. I have a strong feeling this browser will resonate with the gaming world,” said Krystian Kolondra, EVP at Opera browsers.

Opera GX features a new, gaming-inspired design and an array of features that let people not only customize the look of their browser but also limit their computer’s CPU and memory usage.

GX Control lets you control the CPU and RAM usage by the browser

The GX Control panel is a brand new feature which lets users define how much of their computer’s CPU or RAM they are willing to let their browser use. By toggling on the circle, one can choose to devote a certain percentage of the computer’s resources to the browser. Opera GX will stay within these limits. This means that, unlike other memory-hungry browsers, Opera GX puts gamers in full control of their gaming and browsing experiences.

“Running a game might require a lot of effort from your machine. Even more so if you are streaming while you play. Before Opera GX, gamers often shut down their browsers in order to not slow down their gaming experience. We came up with the GX Control feature to make people’s games run more smoothly without requiring them to compromise on what they do on the Web,” said Maciej Kocemba, product director of Opera GX.

Gaming ready with Twitch integration

Another handy feature for gamers is Opera GX’s Twitch integration. The browser lets users log into their Twitch accounts directly from the sidebar and will notify them when a streamer they follow goes live.

The browser’s speed dial screen also features shortcuts to sites popular among gamers including Discord, YouTube and Reddit.

GX Corner for latest gaming news and deals

Opera didn’t stop at designing a browser for gamers. It also created the GX Corner, a place where gaming news from the Web will be presented along with curated gaming deals and information about new and interesting releases.

Gaming design, sound effects and gaming hardware integration

When you first start or upgrade Opera GX you will be welcomed by sounds and an animation sequence inspired by gaming consoles. The sound effects and musical logo creation in GX are a result of Opera’s collaboration with the sound designer Rubén Rincón and the band Berlinist, who recently received a nomination in the BAFTA Games Awards for the original soundtrack to the GRIS game. The sound effects, as well as most browser features can be adjusted or switched off in the settings panel.

Opera GX comes out of the box with a sleek gaming-inspired design with dark and red elements. Users can also choose a different highlight color from 10 suggested colors or go deeper and choose from 16 million possibilities using the extended color picker feature.

“From the startup sounds to the look of the browser’s speed dial, Opera GX was designed to feel at home on any gaming setup,” added Maciej Kocemba.

Opera GX comes with an exclusive set of wallpapers designed to match the browser and the large displays of gaming setups. It also includes Razer Chroma integration, which means that the keyboard, mouse and other Razer Chroma elements will adjust their colors to the chosen highlight colors in the browser.

Opera’s powerful features are there

Opera GX includes all the features present in the popular Opera desktop browser currently used by 65 million users. This means that, apart from the Twitch integration, users can also activate the Telegram, WhatsApp, Facebook or Vkontakte messengers in the sidebar to stay in touch with friends without the need to open separate tabs.

Opera GX also retains the popular Video Pop Out function which makes it easy to “pop out” a video from the website it is being streamed on and watch it on top of other websites.

Opera’s built-in ad blocker will safeguard that websites load fast and distraction free while the free, no-log browser VPN will let gamers safely browse the Web when using public WiFi.

“At Opera, we want to set a new standard in browsing,” said Krystian Kolondra. “Today, no other browser is even close to having the kind of feature set you will find in Opera, and we hope people will enjoy the new additions coming with Opera GX”.

Early access at Level 1 starts today

The early access to Opera GX for Windows starts today at Level 1, during E3 in Los Angeles. Instead of the usual versions, the browser’s development will progress in levels. The initial early access version is designed for people who love games. They will also have the opportunity to shape the next versions, as Opera’s developers have added special “feedback” boxes throughout the browser, where particular features can be rated with one to five hearts. Opera also encourages people to provide feedback and wish lists via the Opera GX forums.

Opera GX can be downloaded here. A final version is planned to launch later this year.

Opera’s team is present at E3 – To schedule a press meeting, contact us at press-team@opera.com

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
everything is a just fork of konqueror. hosed up hell world indeed.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

crap, think im using the wrong browser again..

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i thought the entire point of having www capabilities in emacs was so that stallman could use the internet. why is that even in there then?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
your mistake is assuming that stallman foresaw the web as a commercial platform vs. a playground for nerds

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

firefox with tridactyl

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

lol

use vivaldi, it's the real opera these days

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

firefox is ok but the outlook aint so good

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

i highly recommend not using any browser at all

the internet is a godforsaken cesspit anyway

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

MononcQc posted:

tridactyl

feeling a lot of emotions about this

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
qutebrowser lamo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I remember when Mozilla fired Brendan Eich for being a normal human being, I was sort of bummed that I was going to stop browsing with Firefox. I'm not really the organized boycotting type, but I am someone who simply refuses to participate in idiocy. If some anti-American Hollywood liberal wants to fight against a normal civilization, then I just stop watching their movies and buying their music. If a coffee establishment tells their baristas to engage with me about race when I'm trying to get my morning triple venti soy latte, then I go elsewhere. If one of my favorite conservative-leaning talk show hosts starts supporting a liberal for President, then I turn the dial.

It's not that I keep a list, but if it's seared into my brain deep enough, then I certainly alter my habits as a consumer of products, services, and content. Conversely, if someone is under attack by Marxists, then I tend to overly support them, like the Chick-Fil-A scenario, where I was stuffing my face with spicy chicken sandwiches several times per week for months. Thank goodness that died down. Anyway, I knew whatever Eich ended up doing, if it was a product or service, I was going to be a customer. I have no idea what Eich's politics are, but I know he is someone worth supporting.

He launched a new web browser product called Brave, and it's great. I love it. They are doing some really cool stuff with browsing security, how ads are managed, and blocking malware to make things much faster. I think they really hit a home run.

If you read a lot of sites like I do, then you may tend to avoid certain sites that are just too slow and unusable from the insane amount of malware, like theblaze.com. Brave makes all those issues go away and keeps you nice and safe. It's what I hoped it would be.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol brave’s business model is just replacing ads with their own ads. funneling that money to a fat bigot. you know... malware

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

lol

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

MononcQc posted:

firefox with tridactyl

vivaldi with saka key

:smuggo:

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

https://www.brow.sh/

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
pro

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I use Failfox

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
browsers are bad maybe try using emacs and curl instead op

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I use Windows

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
ah well, alas...

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

duck duck go, op 🦆

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I don't trust browsers so I print webpages at the library for later perusal at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Resting Lich Face posted:

I don't trust browsers so I print webpages at the library for later perusal at home.

:yossame: