Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Really enjoyed this thread.

It's bewildering to me how someone can create so many interesting and rich characters and apparently not notice that, or something, and shuffle them to the sidelines in favour of the three boring, unpleasant dipshits we're forced to spend time with in these books. Even Jacob was a little ray of sunshine before the werewolf thing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Christ why can't she just say 'huh, I never really thought of that, I guess it wouldn't be enough to have an effect' or something. Instead of making up bizarre factoids.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I actually saw a long chain of posts on Tumblr where people used the bite from James as a perfect justification for a lot of the stuff that happens, from Bella's impulsiveness and hallucinations in New Moon to her perfect Mary Sue resistance to blood thirst and not having any of the negatives of the vampire transformation. Meyer just has no consistency in anything she writes, so even stuff that could be justifiable ends up not.

Yet another example of why these books could work if they were somehow written by almost anyone else, really. I bet there's fanfic out there that is way better than the books are.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

She's riffing on 'to err is human, to forgive divine' but it misses the mark pretty badly.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why the gently caress didn't she just invent a fictional people to be her goddamn werewolves? It'd still be lovely but better than this.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

That's actually kind of effective imagery. Poor Jasper.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I think most people who have ended up reading this thing get itchy fanfic fingers if they're even *somewhat* inclined towards writing. She's come up with such interesting characters and then she's *ignoring* them all, it's astonishing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bella is such a joyless rear end in a top hat. It's really wearing. Why would you write a protagonist who's so relentlessly hostile to anyone else in the books? She's not even nice to Edward.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

In a better book all this fainting would imply an ironic issue with low blood pressure.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I like Carlisle and this stupid book makes me grumpy. I'd rather have a book that's just flat-out terrible than this, where it keeps just - *nearly* being interesting. It's nearly a good story. It *nearly* has fun characters. How can she keep missing the target so badly?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I have no idea why she's having this extreme reaction to the idea of getting married. It's pathological. She had to close her eyes to go upstairs and get into her dress? She's so *miserable*. Of course this is still so much better than 'Revelator' that I'm almost enjoying it anyway.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I want to read the book about the vampire wars pretty badly. Imagine all the awesome heart rending scenes you could have! It's like there exists a better body of work, and this is the boring romance fanfic.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

1998 British series 'Ultraviolet' had an episode about a vampiric pregnancy and it was excellent. It included two of the team, a doctor and a Catholic priest, arguing furiously about whether the pregnancy should be ended.

"Have you ever performed an abortion?"
"Have you ever sanctioned one?"
"It's not human."
"It may be half human."
"That's what I said."

Also includes the woman in question going to look for some advice only to look around the clinic she's in and gasp in horrified tones. "You're PRO LIFE!"

That was a good show about vampires.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm still cross that she's acting like Alpha wolves are a real thing when that's been essentially disproven. Wolf packs are just familes. Ugh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why do all the Native Americans have very Biblical names? Jacob, Seth, Leah, Rachel.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Anias posted:

Edward got with Bella
and Bella got Renes
she was sharing bella's outlook
on the topic of some fleas

Baby was a monster kid
and Jacob was a rapist
They were all in love with dying
They were doing it in stages

Leah had to suffer
because meyer is a hack
she bounced off one bad lover
and got stuck with jacob's pack

They were all in love with dying
they were drinking from a fountain
that was pouring like an avalanche
coming down a mountain...

holy bananas!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

At the end of The Host, the alien gets transferred to a new body, and it's specifically mentioned how tiny and childike the new body is, and how big the love interest is by comparison. This is made a really big deal.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

According to Das Sporking, many of the continuity problems come from the recycling of the Forever Dawn sequel into Breaking Dawn after Meyer expanded her one-off bored housewife experiment into a series.

Hey, not to be an rear end in a top hat or anything, but this isn't the first time you've referred to Meyer as a 'housewife' and I've seen it brought up a lot over the years, usually in a dismissive way. I don't love it to be honest. None of the books' problems have much to do with her being a woman who doesn't have a job outside the house, do they? There's plenty that sucks about them but is this really one of those things?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Alice is just the best.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Oh ugh Siobhan is my name and now it's in this stupid book noo.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm not trying to defend Jacob, he's a horrid abuser. But why are they constantly acting like he imprinted on the baby on purpose? It's involuntary, right? They all know that?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The bit I remember being skeeved out by in the Host was Wanda's second body - at the end she gets transferred from Melanie to another body and that one is called out as being tiny and childlike next to the much bigger love interest. I read that, thought about Jacob's whole thing, and got a really unsettling vibe.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ugh I didn't know there was a vampire with my own first name in this stupid book. At least she looks cool.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Grammarchist posted:

So our two new friends have just been hanging out doing absolutely nothing waiting for a plot to find them? Just sharing "The Romanian Vampires Can Still Win, and Here's How" articles on Vampire Social Media like a bunch of impotently belligerent online immortals?

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's such a shame, it's like she has this great imagination but no sense of what makes a story interesting.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Edward really is a tedious fucker, isn't he? What's meant to be alluring about this?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm sure she's said before that she didn't consume much vampire media at all. Why was she married to the idea that werewolves and vampires don't get along? I still don't know why they wouldn't to be honest. I know it's common in media, the media she said she hadn't seen.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I know it's a triviality but what's this idea that humans can't smell blood? What?

Also Edward is only from 1917. He talks like he's from a completely alien culture.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Are we meant to believe Edward *heard* Esme tilting her head?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

You could do something interesting with a telepath who's become jaded and cynical because of over-exposure to people's inner lives, who becomes restored and renewed by contact with someone whose mind he can't read. But you'd have to be a better writer.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Victorkm posted:

I mean that happens in Trueblood doesnt it?

I remember Sookie being quite a positive person but I might just be thinking of the tv show.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Edward is so weird. I could buy it if he'd been dead for centuries but he's so young and he talks like an alien.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'd like to expand on this thought that Carlisle is a capybara at heart. Friend to all? Chill?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm reading Varney the Vampyre at the moment and the humans in that are hilariously overwrought in that 'if I think of such a thing, I shall DIE' way. They'd fit in really well here.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

See it kinda feels like she could write a way better book if she wanted to! Just like how she can create interesting characters but will not focus on them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Lysistrata posted:

God it's worse than I remember

Yeah seriously. I mean I knew the content was poo poo but somehow I'd forgotten the sheer ineptness of the prose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks for taking that on, Midjack.