Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
"..If I ran as far as a I could, all the way across the sea, what would I find there?
If there were a land across the horizon, a land without war or slaves, if there were a land of peace.."

Loosely based on both history and myth, Makoto Yukimura's legendary manga explores themes of Honor and Vengeance, War and Blood, Love and Death.
It started back in 2005 and in just a couple of weeks its animated adaptation will finally begin.

Staff:
Director: Shūhei Yabuta
Series Composition: Hiroshi Seko
Script:
Hiroshi Seko
Kenta Ihara

Music: Yutaka Yamada
Character Design: Takahiko Abiru
Art Director: Yūsuke Takeda
Sound Director: Shōji Hata
CGI Director: Mayu Takehana
Director of Photography: Yūki Kawashita
Background Art:(Bamboo)
Izumi Hirabayashi
Kentarō Ōnuki

Color design: Satoshi Hashimoto
Digital Work:Hirofumi Araki
Editing: Kashiko Kimura

Characters:

Thorfinn(Yuto Uemura)
A sullen and flippant young warrior who has closed his heart in his quest for vengeance. Wields his daggers with agility and deftness.

Askeladd(Naoya Uchida)
Leader of a band of vikings one-hundred men strong. His personable demeanor belies his cunning and ruthless mind.

Bjorn(Hiroki Yasumoto)
Askeladd's right hand man. Has served loyally for years. Capable of becoming a fierce combatant when he ingests his mushrooms and enters a berserker's rage.

Thors(Kenichirou Matsuda)
Father of Thorfinn. A kind and easygoing man who lives his life as a humble shepherd. He was once the most powerful Viking on the Baltic Sea.

Young Thorfinn(Shizuka Ishigami)
An adventurous and cheerful boy who loves his father dearly.

Thorkell the Tall(Akio Ohtsuka)
Jovial and gigantic no other viking alive loves battle as much as him. He wields two Dane axes with mythical strength.

Prince Canute(Kensho Ono)
Secondary heir to the throne of Denmark. Timid and Silent.

PV 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJmBWvCfNU

PV 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2aneW0sH7c

PV 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVs4io58Gm4

PV 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xAlirMzjCQ

PV 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xqEp7R9SYM

Background art samples
https://twitter.com/V_SAGA_ANIME/status/1077126973451833344
https://twitter.com/V_SAGA_ANIME/status/1074605194980323328?s=19
https://twitter.com/V_SAGA_ANIME/status/1072057093967044608?s=19

Vinland Saga will begin streaming on Amazon on July 7th. Episodes 2 and 3 will be released on July 8th. There will be 24 episodes in all.

Theowulv fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I pray to god this will be the first good historical anime in years

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Davincie posted:

loving seriously, of all (confirmed) anime adaptations of series I dearly love, this one has worried me the most I think. But if it turns out good, I'm curious where it'll go until in the manga.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh good. This is finally getting out there. Can't wait!

They couldn't have casted Askeladd better if they tried.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Davincie posted:

does Golden Kamuy not qualify?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Golden Kamuy anime is not TERRIBLE, but it definitely does not live up to the quality of the source material. It's like B- on it's best episode.

Question for Vinland Saga mega-fans: I kind of fell off of the manga when Thorfinn grows up, has his "maybe violence is bad" epiphany and decides to pull a Vagabond and get super into farming instead of adventures, how likely is it that the anime ends right before/right as that happens?

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 22, 2019

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

does Golden Kamuy not qualify?

Not in my opinion

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Golden Kamuy anime is a botch job.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Golden Kamuy anime is not TERRIBLE, but it definitely does not live up to the quality of the source material. It's like B- on it's best episode.

Question for Vinland Saga mega-fans: I kind of fell off of the manga when Thorfinn grows up, has his "maybe violence is bad" epiphany and decides to pull a Vagabond and get super into farming instead of adventures, how likely is it that the anime ends right before/right as that happens?

That's not quite how that goes down but it would be a decent break point if this is just 1 cour.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
In this for the End Prologue scene reactions.

Also thanks for reminding me that I've got to go back and catch up on the manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OnimaruXLR posted:

Not only is that arc really good with a great payoff but after it has been fantastic too, you should pick it back up imo

And that's kind of what I was alluding to with my post, I'm wondering if it'll rush to that part or stop a good chunk before it.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Davincie posted:

rest in peace Kingdom

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
The anime is two cours long. I think adapting to the end of the first 8 volumes would be great.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Will this get past the prologue or would that be the entire season?

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
https://twitter.com/Kirari_star/status/1147524082033819650

First episode was really good! Still no English subs out yet tho.. c'mon Amazon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Up now on Amazon.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The first three episode are up it looks like if you click Next when you get into the player.

I enjoyed the first episode a lot! These early bits are a little slow but I remember enjoying them a lot. Only read like 40 - 50 chapters so I'm excited for a slow burn, glad this season is 24 episodes

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Wake me up when Thorkell shows up.

Given the weird release schedule I might wait till it's complete and binge the entire series.
I'm not the biggest fan of the direction the manga eventually takes. But the beginning was great stuff.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Thorkell is in the very first episode

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mulderman posted:

Given the weird release schedule I might wait till it's complete and binge the entire series.

Wait, what's the release schedule? I'm interested in the series but that's something I'd like to know before I start watching.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I assume they just mean that the first three episodes all aired today so Episode 4 will be on July 28th

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wait, what's the release schedule? I'm interested in the series but that's something I'd like to know before I start watching.

Expect My Mom posted:

I assume they just mean that the first three episodes all aired today so Episode 4 will be on July 28th

It's this.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Did they add that beginning bit with Thorkell? I don't remember any hint that Thors was even a real fighter dude, other than being gigantic, until around what they show in episode 3.

I'm assuming that they'll rearrange the opening scene from the manga to around episode 5 or so.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 7, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I am super pleased with what we've seen so far.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Survive Said the Prophet is extremely aptly named for Vinland Saga

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

Gyges posted:

Did they add that beginning bit with Thorkell?

Yes that was added. I liked it at first but I think that scene doesn't really work at all after realizing its supposed to be the moment Thors deserts. The way it plays out like he just got bored for being too good at fighting rather than how much he came to hate violence.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

He did get hit by an arrow after seeing someone die with regrets and he felt no joy in that kill

Guess that's a hint

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Theowulv posted:

Yes that was added. I liked it at first but I think that scene doesn't really work at all after realizing its supposed to be the moment Thors deserts. The way it plays out like he just got bored for being too good at fighting rather than how much he came to hate violence.

He quit after the guy said that he was sorry he wasn't coming home. It was clearly meant to be a "...Yeah. I can't keep hurting people like this." moment, even if it didn't land for everyone.

I mean, it not landing for you is fair, but the intent was there.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
It just feels a bit off to me to showcase how cool it looks as he slaughters like thirty dudes as the moment he finally quits is all.

That said, I think there is a purposeful contrast between how effortless and dispassionate killing is to him compared to how much he desperately struggled to save that one man's life later in the first episode

Theowulv fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 8, 2019

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
It's the moment he deserts, not the moment he decides to desert. Given that he faked his death in battle so the Jomsvikings wouldn't come looking for him, I think we can assume that he settled on this course of action some time before there was a good opportunity to do it. Even the Jomsvikings don't fight large naval battles every day. So he's been stuck acting the part of the idolised war hero for weeks or months, putting on a face and hiding his contempt for the warrior's entire way of life, acting like a loyal comrade to the men whom he now thinks of as unrepentant murderers with body counts almost as high as his own, because if he lets on that he really doesn't want to be a killer anymore people might get suspicious about his "heroic death".

With that in mind his detachment and seeming emotionlessness during the scene actually seem very natural to me. He's got a real "if I just middle-finger out of this lovely job they'll give me a bad reference" vibe to him. He's been stuck half-heartedly putting in the work for a while and it's been eating him up inside to the point where even acting surface-level enthusiastic is a gruelling effort of will. To the point where even at the crucial moment - his entire death-in-battle story will succeed or fail based on Thorkell's impression of his actions - he finds himself losing focus, unable to do anything but mechanically go through the motions.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I would agree that they sold well how Thors doesn't have the stomach for this anymore. He throws the guy's sword back to the bottom of the lake, spaces out dreaming of Vinland, takes arrows to the chest. With the show starting at the chronological starting point and not with where Thorfinn is now, I'd imagine they mostly wanted an action scene as a hook and hey I thought it was a pretty effective one

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

a computing pun posted:

To the point where even at the crucial moment - his entire death-in-battle story will succeed or fail based on Thorkell's impression of his actions - he finds himself losing focus, unable to do anything but mechanically go through the motions.

Expect My Mom posted:

He throws the guy's sword back to the bottom of the lake, spaces out dreaming of Vinland, takes arrows to the chest. With the show starting at the chronological starting point and not with where Thorfinn is now, I'd imagine they mostly wanted an action scene as a hook and hey I thought it was a pretty effective one

I can see it when you put it like that. Either way the fall of hail is my favorite part of the scene.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

a bunch of people posted:

the stuff in spoiler tags almost immediately

can we just veer away from that entirely in the anime thread

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This show's back and hot-drat, what a return.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

There's moments where I kinda feel like this adaptation's cinematography kind of falls asleep at the wheel, but I adore the manga and we've still got some gorgeous character art and great voice acting going on here, so I suppose I'm still watching.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I think the show is great but I don't like the opening at all. I wish they went more in traditional Scandinavian music or just metal. Or maybe something like Nightwish's "Over the Hills and Far Away".

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Huh, I forgot Thors did the died standing up thing.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Makatka posted:

I think the show is great but I don't like the opening at all. I wish they went more in traditional Scandinavian music or just metal. Or maybe something like Nightwish's "Over the Hills and Far Away".

Metal would be awesome for this show...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Good set of pipes on Thorfinn's seiyuu.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Makatka posted:

Get Sabaton to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Sandman posted:

Get Sabaton to do it.

You mean Amon Amarth.