Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I didn't notice the absence of !s - if someone is shouting in the audio I don't really need anything in the subtitles to indicate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Each Wednesday a new chapter of Animal Land Saga is posted to the anime's website. Even without a translation I find them pretty easy to follow along.
Ch. 1

Ch. 2

Ch. 3

Ch. 4

Ch. 5

Ch. 6

Ch. 7

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
This is how I'll see the characters from now on :3

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Eh, I'm a fan of the Dogland Saga.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I really have no idea where this show is going now. I watched the last three eps all at once just now, since the idea of more kid Thorfinn was not exactly something I was interested in seeing weekly, and this is certainly a different direction than I was expecting, now that Thorfinn has apparently helped these guys murder villages of people for years.

One thing that kinda confused me was the language barrier since they were all speaking Japanese. I get why they did it this way, but it wasn't until the latest ep that I realized they are supposed to be speaking different languages.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it was kindof funny to hear the interpreter repeat the exact same lines.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
In chapter 1 Franks spoke actual French and the comic usually symbolizes characters speaking in different language with a different font (afaik) but implementing different languages, maybe even different dialects when there's noone in universe speaking Japanese (afaik) in anime would probably be too much of a hassle

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

just have non-viewpoint characters speak the language they're supposed to be speaking (badly) and subtitle it tbh

having everyone speak the same language with no indicators when there's another language actually happening other than someone outright saying it is maybe the worst move they could've done. it's real baffling with all the other extremely good production

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Patware posted:

just have non-viewpoint characters speak the language they're supposed to be speaking (badly) and subtitle it tbh

having everyone speak the same language with no indicators when there's another language actually happening other than someone outright saying it is maybe the worst move they could've done. it's real baffling with all the other extremely good production

If they had different accents then that could also work, although anyone who isn't Japanese wouldn't really be able to tell at all. It works for Germans speaking British english in movies.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Patware posted:

They expect you to understand that someone who's English is speaking English, someone who's Norse is speaking Norse and so on, unless they explicitly know more than one language... I personally don't mind it and actually kinda like it, but it does shift the burden to the viewer and that's rarely a good thing.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Where the "Everybody speaks their own language rule" totally breaks down is in the previous episode, when Thorfinn is scouting the village. I'm still not sure to what extent kid Thorfinn understands English, because he was clearly able to sort both sort of say "I can't speak English" and "Run away" to the village lady, but does he fully understand what they're talking about? Is he in the "understands but can't talk" stage of English language skills?

Wait. No. I just realized that when he told the lady he didn't speak English, he wasn't speaking English. Is that right? I'd thought he was just bad at it, or he'd memorized the phrase like how an American might memorize "No hablo espanol."

I feel like that whole episode is a case when the language stuff really broke down, in a confusing way. It didn't really kill the emotional core of it or anything but it was distracting. It was less distracting in the last episode because it was more clear that nobody understood anybody else, except the translator, but then I just realized that when Askeladd was taunting the Frankish general...uh, was that general able to understand any of what he was saying? Like contextually it's obvious to everybody that he's taunting him but the general wouldn't be able to understand anything about his witty half and half quip...or, if he were speaking, uh, Frankish? then none of his guys would understand it.

Okay, now I'm pretty firmly in the "The way language was handled for the anime was not good" camp.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I think that Japan is one of those countries which dub everything. They went the easiest route, which is not perfect by any means, but what are the alternatives? VAs talking in broken English/Danish/French constantly (and it WOULD happen constantly because there are a lot of characters of different nationalities in this series)? And then switching to Japanese eventually for a regular dialogue? What would they do if an actual Japanese character showed up?

They just hope that the audience will understand everything depending on a context and up till now there weren't any misunderstandings. It's mostly just funny and I don't see any harm in this approach other than not being immersive.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hamelekim posted:

If they had different accents then that could also work, although anyone who isn't Japanese wouldn't really be able to tell at all. It works for Germans speaking British english in movies.

I don't think you have to speak Japanese to recognize e.g. a strong Osaka accent, especially one exaggerated for dramatic effect in a cartoon. (Also I could have sworn I watched another series that used it as a surrogate for speaking English like a Texan, and it was hilarious.)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

There's the Black Lagoon appoach where they're supposed to be speaking English but it's done in Japanese except for in the arc where they go to Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F5p1_hR2Ws

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I loved the way Free did it personally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsKp4sITALc

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't think you have to speak Japanese to recognize e.g. a strong Osaka accent

I didn't even know there is such a thing as a strong Osaka accent xD Maybe you don't have to speak Japanese but still have a very good ear for dialects to catch it. Different dialects are rather uncommon in my country and I was shocked to discover how many versions of English there are (I only started distinguishing British and American English after 10 or so years of learning English and I'm not particularly dense or anything).

Anyway, last episode wasn't bad, even if a bit redundant. And England arc starts next week, so there shouldn't be any shenanigans with changing order of the manga.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Makatka posted:

I didn't even know there is such a thing as a strong Osaka accent xD Maybe you don't have to speak Japanese but still have a very good ear for dialects to catch it. Different dialects are rather uncommon in my country and I was shocked to discover how many versions of English there are (I only started distinguishing British and American English after 10 or so years of learning English and I'm not particularly dense or anything).

Anyway, last episode wasn't bad, even if a bit redundant. And England arc starts next week, so there shouldn't be any shenanigans with changing order of the manga.

Huh. If you don't mind me asking, what country are you from?

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

YF-23 posted:

Huh. If you don't mind me asking, what country are you from?

Poland. You hear dialects here mostly when you go to countryside or listen to old people. All my friends from different cities speak exactly the same as I do. I think it may have something to do with standard Polish taught in schools? I've lived in Warsaw my whole life and I know about Warsaw accent just enough to know that I don't have it but not enough to try say something in it :D And majority of my knowledge of different dialects comes from linguistic studies too, not my own experience. There's maybe one accent distinct enough that everybody would be able to identify it? And I think that a person speaking in different dialect is often perceived as funny, plain or exotic.

It wasn't always like this but that's the reality I live in.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah my next question would have been if you could not even point out a difference between urban and rural folk. But it makes sense why that wouldn't register as a dialect immediately!

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Well yeah, I mostly meant geographical dialects - city talk and country talk clearly are different, but there's so much more to it. Slangs are also dialects. What I wanted to say is that compared to variety of English dialects, what we have is practically nothing. Especially since the majority of English teaching courses don't focus on pronounciation but on voc&grammar. Also, official handbooks teach British English (technically) but imported English culture is mostly American. It's a mess v:shobon:v

But differentiating between different dialects when you don't actually know the language seems impossible to me

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Cities are technically geographical units. v:shobon:v

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't think you have to speak Japanese to recognize e.g. a strong Osaka accent, especially one exaggerated for dramatic effect in a cartoon. (Also I could have sworn I watched another series that used it as a surrogate for speaking English like a Texan, and it was hilarious.)

Osaka accents are basically the only accents used in anime, though. Even dubs tend to have everyone except Osakans speak standard US English.

Golden Kamui did have that one character who spoke an incomprehensible dialect, though.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

YF-23 posted:

Cities are technically geographical units. v:shobon:v

I think of them more as social concepts tbh. But you're technically right.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Thorkell :allears:

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Thorkell is basically :haw: personified. Good to see some positivity in the business!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:haw: but an arm holding an axe up in the air coming out either side of it

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Thorkell giving no shits about losing two fingers and waving goodbye to Thorfinn with that injured hand because he had fun is the best. :3:

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Thorkell's conversation with Floki is my favorite part of his introduction.

"gently caress your patriotism and gently caress your money I only fight 'cause its fun, and it's only fun when my foes are strong."

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Apparently episode 10 is postponed because of incoming Faxai typhoon

https://twitter.com/V_SAGA_ANIME/status/1170651601234624513

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Just want to say the scene at the Roman ruins was really good. Askeladd's a great guy, even though he's a kind of a scumbag. The kind of scumbag you want to root for, really.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
It's only going to get better

I'm glad the anime is (finally?) done with adaptation shenanigans

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So far this show seems to be about pieces of poo poo fighting other pieces of poo poo, so I don't have to feel too bad rooting for the bad guy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
They're really doing an excellent job of showing just how charismatic Askeladd is, which makes it easy to root for him even when he's doing objectively horrible poo poo.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A big part of it is that Askeladd is deceptively self-aware. He really doesn’t think of himself as being hotter poo poo than he is in any particular regard

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Whoever the voice actor for Thorkell is is doing an amazing job. I don't know if he is doing an accent or something but he nails a certain kind of aloofness that is perfect for this.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

YF-23 posted:

Whoever the voice actor for Thorkell is is doing an amazing job. I don't know if he is doing an accent or something but he nails a certain kind of aloofness that is perfect for this.

that's Akio Otsuka, AKA Solid Snake

He's definitely one of the legends

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
That dialogue at the beginning of the episode was brilliant and VAs nailed it.

But did you knooooooow? :eng101:
Because christian values are so distant from Norse beliefs, missionaries in Northern Europe actually presented Christ as a warrior. Old English poem Dream of the Rood speaks of crucifixion and in it Christ mounts the cross like a boss and taunts his enemies before dying.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

macabresca posted:

But did you knooooooow? :eng101:
Because christian values are so distant from Norse beliefs, missionaries in Northern Europe actually presented Christ as a warrior. Old English poem Dream of the Rood speaks of crucifixion and in it Christ mounts the cross like a boss and taunts his enemies before dying.

That's awesome. I'll have to look into that.

Thorkell is Dad's new favorite character, but he's everyone's to be fair

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like the whole "silent character is a secret badass" cliché is so over played that Cnut turning out to really be a spoiled child that is intimidated by everything and doesn't know what he's doing is a real breath of fresh air.

Also the priest owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Cnut is one of the best characters of this arc. Actually, no - all characters of this arc are the best