Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A lot of the show is directly adapting the manga (especially this week's fight) that it is kind of weird when they deviate. Like they cut a quick scene that shows Ears is dead and Thorkill's men are using his severed head for target practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I’m came into this blind and drat, it’s a hell of a snow.

I’m really hoping Thorfinn joins up with Thorkell and learns some good swordsmanship.

I also feel like Thorfinn is good enough at this point his next duel with Askleadd is going to be the last.

Also, I just don’t see where the story goes after that.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I’m came into this blind and drat, it’s a hell of a snow.

I’m really hoping Thorfinn joins up with Thorkell and learns some good swordsmanship.

I also feel like Thorfinn is good enough at this point his next duel with Askleadd is going to be the last.

Also, I just don’t see where the story goes after that.

Any more predictions? :allears:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

macabresca posted:

Any more predictions? :allears:

The whiny rear end prince becomes a loving monstrous badass. I called that like two minutes after he was introduced though.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
The trick question though is if he can be monstrous badass AND whiny rear end

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Wow, best one so far.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Hmm...

Hmm...

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

asskeladd

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Tbh I'm having a bit of a problem understanding Canute. So last episode he had this whole enlightenment that God sucks and his daddy doesn't love him and went away with this new conviction and objective ("I'll give the meaning to your fights", "I'll make a Paradise here on Earth"), stopped charging Bjorn with a power of disillusionment and all that. And this week he tells Thorkell that his life is worthless and that he doesn't care if he dies, Thorkell tests him and when they establish that indeed, Canute really doesn't care if he dies, he leads them to kill Sven and take over the kingdom?

Schroedinger's Canute, when your life both has and doesn't have meaning

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
It's not that Canute doesn't care if he lives or dies, it's that he is no longer living for himself, but for his objective; he's willing to go through basically any amount of personal suffering in order to achieve that goal (possibly even including his own death, but only if him dying actually created the Paradise-on-Earth that he wants).

Thorkell wasn't going to strike to kill, just to hurt real bad; he tells Canute this before he punches ("lots of people say they don't care about their own lives, most of them change their mind after getting hit real hard" or whatever his exact words are).
He wasn't trying to test whether Canute is in fact cool with dying of a punch to the face in a snowy field having accomplished nothing (because Canute wouldn't be), he was trying to test whether Canute was serious enough about his dream and had enough personal drive to stick to it even in the face of intense pain and suffering.

a computing pun fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 25, 2019

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Hm, then I must've understood something wrong. I thought this scene was less anime

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

macabresca posted:

Hm, then I must've understood something wrong. I thought this scene was less anime

And that is why you failed.

Vinland Saga being insightful into the human condition doesn't prevent it from also being anime as hell.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Reminder that Thorkell existing at all in this series makes it anime as hell

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Dude punched a horse.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Captain Invictus posted:

Reminder that Thorkell existing at all in this series makes it anime as hell

If this isn't proof that anime is good, I don't know what is.

The last couple of episodes have definitely made Canute rise up in my character list but Thorkell is absolutely 100% my favourite still and this episode just solidified that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
unless they changed it in the anime, he doesn't just punch a horse, he punches it so hard it gets knocked into the air with someone riding it as well

pretty sure he also literally throws logs at people too on at least one occasion, as if he's throwing sticks at them. caber tossing it ain't

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

What a cool show.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

If this isn't proof that anime is good, I don't know what is.

The last couple of episodes have definitely made Canute rise up in my character list but Thorkell is absolutely 100% my favourite still and this episode just solidified that.

I really like how Thorkell spends 99 percent of his time in full Bulky The Barbarian mode and having a great time, but every now and then (and especially in the last few eps) he catches glimpses of what Thors saw when he turned away from battle, and he almost understands it, but just can't quite get there, and gets just so unsettled by it.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Captain Invictus posted:

unless they changed it in the anime, he doesn't just punch a horse, he punches it so hard it gets knocked into the air with someone riding it as well

pretty sure he also literally throws logs at people too on at least one occasion, as if he's throwing sticks at them. caber tossing it ain't

My favorite thing about Thorkell's feats of strength is that it feels like folklore.

"Lemme tell you about Thorkell the Tall. Man was so strong he knocked out a horse with a single punch and sunk a boat by dropping a boulder on it!"

Real Paul Bunyan poo poo.

Edit: Paul Bunyan's a bit much. Real Pecos Bill poo poo?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Zero_Tactility posted:

My favorite thing about Thorkell's feats of strength is that it feels like folklore.

"Lemme tell you about Thorkell the Tall. Man was so strong he knocked out a horse with a single punch and sunk a boat by dropping a boulder on it!"

Real Paul Bunyan poo poo.

Edit: Paul Bunyan's a bit much. Real Pecos Bill poo poo?

i'm pretty sure this is exactly what vinland saga is going for with the absurd feats of strength by thors and thorkell, and to a lesser extent askellad (when he bisected that dude). it's viking narrative of history with everything that entails including magical dreams and insane anime supermen

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
The actual viking sagas are full of larger-than-life tales of things like bisection and horse punching, but that's the nature of an oral storytelling tradition. Things get more and more embellished each time they get retold, and by the time they're codified, there's not much of the actual truth left.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Imagine the entire story done as a Dollop.

"And that's when he punched a horse."
"A horse!?"

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
thorfinn vs thorkell is great

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Are there any good analysis videos out there detailing how historically accurate this series is?

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Yeah, I'd really like to know how tall Thorkell the Tall actually was and google doesn't seem to be helping me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Are there any good analysis videos out there detailing how historically accurate this series is?

While there are quite a few liberties the overall story is based on the life of Thorfinn Karlsefni. Just be careful looking him up as his Wikipedia article does have a story spoiler.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I’m glad Thorfinn and thorkell get to be buddies now. I hope he learns good swordsmanship. I notice he didn’t swear to Canute but I imagine he’ll serve him for awhile at least. Just because he’s still Askeladd’s hanger on.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

muscles like this! posted:

While there are quite a few liberties the overall story is based on the life of Thorfinn Karlsefni. Just be careful looking him up as his Wikipedia article does have a story spoiler.

Thanks for the heads up.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

There’s quite a lot of material on the time period, but I’m not aware of anything analysing Vinland Saga particularly. In general the broad backdrop is accurate but lots of liberties are taken with specific facts. E.g we don’t really know how Sweyn Forkbeard died and the historical Thorkell had probably converted to Christianity by this point.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 29, 2019

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Shaved priest was a fun moment.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

THE WILL OF THE CROWN

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

YF-23 posted:

THE WILL OF THE CROWN

It's a good scene IMO.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

WHAT WAS THAT LAST SCENE???

I did like how the Lief reunion was done. I had no idea it’s been 11 years. I didn’t realize the time skips were that large.

It’s also pretty cool to see Thorfinn is getting a rep.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

WHAT WAS THAT LAST SCENE???

Bjorn mentioned he got stabbed in the gut and wouldn't last very long last episode IIRC. He dueled Askeladd because he wanted to go out like a warrior instead of going slowly in his bed.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Yeah, there was this neat little scene in the manga, which unfortunately wasn't adopted, when Askeladd helps Bjorn get to bed and tells him that someone will come heal him soon, and Bjorn responds that it's useless and asks Askeladd with very suggestive look how bad his injuries are, and Askeladd answers that they're not bad at all and that he can hold a sword. Bjorn says "Good. See you tomorrow then" and next time we see him, it's when he comes to die.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

macabresca posted:

Yeah, there was this neat little scene in the manga, which unfortunately wasn't adopted, when Askeladd helps Bjorn get to bed and tells him that someone will come heal him soon, and Bjorn responds that it's useless and asks Askeladd with very suggestive look how bad his injuries are, and Askeladd answers that they're not bad at all and that he can hold a sword. Bjorn says "Good. See you tomorrow then" and next time we see him, it's when he comes to die.

Oh, that provides a lot of clarity to the scene and makes sense for him.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Oh, that provides a lot of clarity to the scene and makes sense for him.

Ok, so I commented before watching this episode and this scene made it to anime after all, it was just moved in time slightly

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
I think the first time I read the manga I didn't really care about Bjorn, but when re-reading it/watching the anime I appreciate him a lot more. He's a remorseless thug but he just wanted Askeladd's companionship dammit!

In almost every scene together he was trying to get Askeladd to open up to him but he doesn't succeed until the very end. It's meant to be ambiguous how Askeladd truly felt but his reaction to missing Bjorn's heart feels pretty telling to me.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Theowulv posted:

I think the first time I read the manga I didn't really care about Bjorn, but when re-reading it/watching the anime I appreciate him a lot more. He's a remorseless thug but he just wanted Askeladd's companionship dammit!

In almost every scene together he was trying to get Askeladd to open up to him but he doesn't succeed until the very end. It's meant to be ambiguous how Askeladd truly felt but his reaction to missing Bjorn's heart feels pretty telling to me.

it's not ambiguous, askeladd's only serious friends are bjorn and thorkell lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
askeladd is the only person alive who can corral thorkell and tell him to stop after all