Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Poor Bjorn was really hurt when Askeladd said he hated all Danes and I'm glad they resolved that. :unsmith:

That completely earnest and in the moment "oh poo poo, sorry that wasn't a clean kill, let me fix that" was pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
The bit with Bjorn is great but I also feel for poor uncle Leif. He was looking for Thorfinn for 11 years, not even knowing if he's alive, and when they finally meet Thorfinn is just too far gone. Leif is the best and I'm always sad when he's sad :(

ed: silly me, sorry for spoiling, editing it out completely

macabresca fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 9, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
when you mark things as a spoiler, it's generally a good idea to warn BEFORE the spoiler what it's for, not after

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

macabresca posted:

Dumb Spoiler BS.

Great post in the anime thread, dummy

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 10, 2019

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I feel bad for the body double lady.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Captain Invictus posted:

when you mark things as a spoiler, it's generally a good idea to warn BEFORE the spoiler what it's for, not after

Shinjobi posted:

Great post in the anime thread, dummy

Sorry, corrected that. I figured that the post is so short it wouldn't make a difference

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

imo that's so huge it shouldn't even be here tagged or not

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Point taken. Now Shinjobi's post is all that's left

sorrrryyyyyy

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Theowulv posted:

I think the first time I read the manga I didn't really care about Bjorn, but when re-reading it/watching the anime I appreciate him a lot more. He's a remorseless thug but he just wanted Askeladd's companionship dammit!

In almost every scene together he was trying to get Askeladd to open up to him but he doesn't succeed until the very end. It's meant to be ambiguous how Askeladd truly felt but his reaction to missing Bjorn's heart feels pretty telling to me.

Same, and to be honest Bjorn is still kind of uninteresting compared to basically everyone around him, but it's nice to have vikings like him and Thorkell who can tell the others things like "I don't understand you" and force them to open up even just a little.

Made me think back to the scene way earlier where Askeladd comments on the guy beating up his slave that he himself is just a slave to money and that everyone is a slave to something, and how we now know that Askeladd's Welsh lineage is what he is a slave to.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

macabresca posted:

Dumb Spoiler BS
Letting you off. For now. :colbert:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wark Say posted:

It is only fitting that our mod is a True Warrior that has followed Thors' path.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Wark Say posted:

Thank you so much for fixing my crap too

Mayhaps I am an equally big dummy

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm sure that this person doesn't exist, or if they do they wouldn't make a good voice actor, but drat I wish Askeladd's voice actor was someone with a Welsh accent speaking Japanese. Seems like that'd be symphonically delightful!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Same but for Saber.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm sure that this person doesn't exist, or if they do they wouldn't make a good voice actor, but drat I wish Askeladd's voice actor was someone with a Welsh accent speaking Japanese. Seems like that'd be symphonically delightful!

Askeladd's Welshness was a revelation though, and he was pretending to be Norse so that wouldn't make sense. Also, I'm not sure to what extent Japanese VA industry actually uses people with foreign accents.

It's actually quite interesting. In English dubs all sorts of dialects from around the world are used to express characters better, but I've never heard it in anime (I don't speak Japanese though, so I may be completely wrong) or in dubs in my country. A while ago I've watched a short document about localisation of Witcher 3 and I found it very funny how much care and thought went into dialects of various people in English version, while Polish one was just a bunch of actors talking rurally sometimes.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

You sometimes get different Japanese dialects in anime but it feels pretty rare, either because it is, or because it's hard to catch if you are not familiar with the language (I wouldn't be surprised if the way Thorkell speaks is a dialect rather than just individual mannerisms). But English also has "foreign" accents a lot more easily available than Japanese for obvious reasons, these are accents that exist in the popular consciousness and such. For all the people that know and speak it, I don't think it would be very easy to identify, say, a German accent in that language.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think asking for accents is too much for a series that couldn't even bother to have people who speak different languages actually speak in different languages.

I love this show but that was both confusing and stupid. You can get VAs that know other languages! They exist! Tetsuya Kakihara knows five, at the very least, for example.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I agree the way they've done it is kinda dumb but I still think implementing other languages would be too difficult. Unless the show wouldn't be in Japanese but that's just not realistic

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
It should've been in old Norse :colbert:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

macabresca posted:

I agree the way they've done it is kinda dumb but I still think implementing other languages would be too difficult. Unless the show wouldn't be in Japanese but that's just not realistic

It can still be in Japanese for the protagonists, the other language in the series is English, the easiest language to find. Even if it's broken English, it'd still be better than everyone talking in Japanese but apparently in different languages.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think asking for accents is too much for a series that couldn't even bother to have people who speak different languages actually speak in different languages.

I love this show but that was both confusing and stupid. You can get VAs that know other languages! They exist! Tetsuya Kakihara knows five, at the very least, for example.
Yeah, but Kakki (along with the also polyglot Haruna Ikezawa, who speaks four) is the exception and so few VA's actually do that and even if they do, sometimes it's kinda a bit limited what they can do with other languages. Like Natsuki Hanae (Tanjiro in Demon Slayer, Alm in FE15) can read and understand English (and some French, apparently?) pretty well, but his vocabulary when speaking seems pretty limited. Nao Toyama (Yui in Oregairu, Karen in Kin'iro Mosaic Celica in FE15) can sound pretty good when speaking English but she's admitted that she doesn't practice all that much, so her English skills have gotten rusty. Also, while somewhat accented, both Miyuki Sawashiro and Chiwa Saitou (who lived as exchange students in Chi city and Sidney at different points in their life, respectively) speak English really well, with one continuing to practice it even to this day and the other one practicing it when not voice acting, since she also does copywriting.

My favorite (and a somewhat personal example) is Boss Morikawa taking the time to actually learn some proper English and, even with his heavy accent, to pull off a pretty solid effort:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4sutbztu_4

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

QuasiQuack posted:

It should've been in old Norse :colbert:

Icelandic has a lot in common with Old Norse, so that's a possibility :P

Blaze Dragon posted:

It can still be in Japanese for the protagonists, the other language in the series is English, the easiest language to find. Even if it's broken English, it'd still be better than everyone talking in Japanese but apparently in different languages.

They spoke French at one instance too. And it's a matter of personal preference but I find broken English very distracting

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think I'd like that. It's one thing to have everyone speaking in Japanese past each other, but if you want to have the Normans or the Anglosaxons speaking another language to distinguish them having that be just plain English would ruin it for me. And I don't know what would be worse, the fact that everyone would be speaking different *wrong* languages, or that the characters not speaking Norse would be speaking in audibly broken English instead of sounding fluent in what is supposed to be their mother tongue.

I much prefer everyone just speaking Japanese and dialogue/context being used to carry the idea that they don't understand each other than whatever that would be.

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

That sort of thing was solved in 'Allo 'Allo by everyone speaking english (since it's a British comedy set in german-occupied France) but the actors affecting stereotypical accents whenever they spoke in a different language. It was pretty easy to tell when this sort of situation arose as a result, and the viewers could still understand everyone.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Goddammit, Yutaka Yamada is loving brilliant. Can't wait until OST is released

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Do we know if the next episode will be the finale? They're coming up on a very good natural stopping point if there aren't any plans to adapt Farmland Saga...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Not Important posted:

Do we know if the next episode will be the finale? They're coming up on a very good natural stopping point if there aren't any plans to adapt Farmland Saga...

The next episode will indeed be the finale.

I hope we get S2 soon though because I'm loving this. That said, I'm definitely jumping into the manga after all of this anyways.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Askeladd doing the anime villain thing where thinks it's over will always be hilarious to me.

"I WIN!"

"gently caress!"

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm so glad Thorfinn is giving up violence and going back home. Because that's what's happening, surely...

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The pretty much played out as I thought, but it was super satisfying because it hit all the beats it needed to.

Any news on the potential for a second season?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope so, because the next arc is the best one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Theowulv posted:

Askeladd doing the anime villain thing where thinks it's over will always be hilarious to me.

"I WIN!"

"gently caress!"

this one? or just in general

it always exemplifies that thing to me lol

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That was a super good ending to a super good series and I'm glad I watched it. I'm super excited for S2 but I also have no patience so where should I start reading the manga?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

That was a super good ending to a super good series and I'm glad I watched it. I'm super excited for S2 but I also have no patience so where should I start reading the manga?

The next arc starts in chapter 55.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chiasaur11 posted:

The next arc starts in chapter 55.

Thank you! I'll start from there then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maera Sior posted:

The pretty much played out as I thought, but it was super satisfying because it hit all the beats it needed to.

Any news on the potential for a second season?

Supposedly a guy who has been right about stuff in the past said that s2 is in the works.

I do think it is kind of funny how the ending touched on Hild and Gudrid but there's no way either of them are showing up in a potential s2 since they're from the arc after the next one.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That was really satisfying. If they're making a second season, cool! But I'm happy with where the story ended.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Doctor Reynolds posted:

That was really satisfying. If they're making a second season, cool! But I'm happy with where the story ended.
oh no you are not, you march right down to mangadex and start in on the manga on chapter 55 right this instant mister :colbert:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

oh no you are not, you march right down to mangadex and start in on the manga on chapter 55 right this instant mister :colbert:

There's almost no question there's going to be a followup season. Show got a 1.6 live rating share, which is really good for an anime airing at midnight. So, I can understand waiting for that.

Not continuing at all, that's the bit that confuses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
That was a pretty solid adaptation all in all. It's a bummer this little conversation didn't make it in though.

"...Sorry about murdering your son"

"It's okay he went to Valhalla and anyways I've got plenty more sons"