Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Huh, I forgot Thors did the died standing up thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

First filler episode was alright. I prefer how the manga did it by just kind of alluding to events like this, but as far as filler goes it could've been worse.

Really curious to see what they do with next week's though. Hopefully it ends up justifying the slow pacing in some fashion.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah ok, as far as filler goes that was fine. Still feel like it's stuff that would be better left suggested than shown but it was good.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Haha wow I'd forgot the complete caricature of the Frank nobleman. These norse boys are having so much fun!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Patware posted:

just have non-viewpoint characters speak the language they're supposed to be speaking (badly) and subtitle it tbh

having everyone speak the same language with no indicators when there's another language actually happening other than someone outright saying it is maybe the worst move they could've done. it's real baffling with all the other extremely good production

They expect you to understand that someone who's English is speaking English, someone who's Norse is speaking Norse and so on, unless they explicitly know more than one language... I personally don't mind it and actually kinda like it, but it does shift the burden to the viewer and that's rarely a good thing.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Makatka posted:

I didn't even know there is such a thing as a strong Osaka accent xD Maybe you don't have to speak Japanese but still have a very good ear for dialects to catch it. Different dialects are rather uncommon in my country and I was shocked to discover how many versions of English there are (I only started distinguishing British and American English after 10 or so years of learning English and I'm not particularly dense or anything).

Anyway, last episode wasn't bad, even if a bit redundant. And England arc starts next week, so there shouldn't be any shenanigans with changing order of the manga.

Huh. If you don't mind me asking, what country are you from?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah my next question would have been if you could not even point out a difference between urban and rural folk. But it makes sense why that wouldn't register as a dialect immediately!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Cities are technically geographical units. v:shobon:v

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Thorkell giving no shits about losing two fingers and waving goodbye to Thorfinn with that injured hand because he had fun is the best. :3:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Just want to say the scene at the Roman ruins was really good. Askeladd's a great guy, even though he's a kind of a scumbag. The kind of scumbag you want to root for, really.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Whoever the voice actor for Thorkell is is doing an amazing job. I don't know if he is doing an accent or something but he nails a certain kind of aloofness that is perfect for this.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like the whole "silent character is a secret badass" cliché is so over played that Cnut turning out to really be a spoiled child that is intimidated by everything and doesn't know what he's doing is a real breath of fresh air.

Also the priest owns.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

King Arthur being brought up like so has always been fun.

Good on Cnut finally opening up a bit, I forgot he just starts going on and on once he does!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The animation quality looked poor honestly. a lot of the lipflaps felt cheap, Ragnar moving slightly closer to the screen (when Cnut is hiding behind him, about 7 minutes in) looked hilariously bad, and Cnut getting anime flustered on wagon (around 20m in) looked pretty cheap too. At least, those things all actually stood out to me to some degree. I wonder if they had a different team working on this episode or if they just generally gave it less priority because it didn't have much action in it. I wouldn't begrudge them if they did but it was really noticeable.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Some really pretty scenery this ep.

Also amazing how well the girl's character gets established in such a short time.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Shouldn't also go unmentioned, the sound design of the episode was top notch. The beautiful night sky and Anne's monologue work as amazingly as they do very much thanks to the music that plays there.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It is a point that the story has been making from episode 1 that Thors is the only person that has reached some sort of enlightenment and made the conscious decision to be a Good Person. Askeladd stands out on the other end, because he is able to recognise he is morally bankrupt and accept that with no pretences.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Oh yeah, Thorkell punching a horse is a thing alright.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Willibald's interpretation of agape makes a lot more sense when you consider Thors, who is the very embodiment of that ideal. He became a man that gave away to help others, even when they were so far gone that they were going to die regardless, someone who, when forced to fight, made sure not to kill anyone, and whose most important lesson to Thorfinn is that he has no enemies.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Dude punched a horse.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

THE WILL OF THE CROWN

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Theowulv posted:

I think the first time I read the manga I didn't really care about Bjorn, but when re-reading it/watching the anime I appreciate him a lot more. He's a remorseless thug but he just wanted Askeladd's companionship dammit!

In almost every scene together he was trying to get Askeladd to open up to him but he doesn't succeed until the very end. It's meant to be ambiguous how Askeladd truly felt but his reaction to missing Bjorn's heart feels pretty telling to me.

Same, and to be honest Bjorn is still kind of uninteresting compared to basically everyone around him, but it's nice to have vikings like him and Thorkell who can tell the others things like "I don't understand you" and force them to open up even just a little.

Made me think back to the scene way earlier where Askeladd comments on the guy beating up his slave that he himself is just a slave to money and that everyone is a slave to something, and how we now know that Askeladd's Welsh lineage is what he is a slave to.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

You sometimes get different Japanese dialects in anime but it feels pretty rare, either because it is, or because it's hard to catch if you are not familiar with the language (I wouldn't be surprised if the way Thorkell speaks is a dialect rather than just individual mannerisms). But English also has "foreign" accents a lot more easily available than Japanese for obvious reasons, these are accents that exist in the popular consciousness and such. For all the people that know and speak it, I don't think it would be very easy to identify, say, a German accent in that language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

It can still be in Japanese for the protagonists, the other language in the series is English, the easiest language to find. Even if it's broken English, it'd still be better than everyone talking in Japanese but apparently in different languages.

I don't think I'd like that. It's one thing to have everyone speaking in Japanese past each other, but if you want to have the Normans or the Anglosaxons speaking another language to distinguish them having that be just plain English would ruin it for me. And I don't know what would be worse, the fact that everyone would be speaking different *wrong* languages, or that the characters not speaking Norse would be speaking in audibly broken English instead of sounding fluent in what is supposed to be their mother tongue.

I much prefer everyone just speaking Japanese and dialogue/context being used to carry the idea that they don't understand each other than whatever that would be.