Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Hand Knit posted:

Is Vin Diesel actually upset? I hadn't heard that but also
Some combination of Momoa stealing the show and the movie doing so-so. I mean, grain of salt and poo poo, but there's typically something to it, see the drama with Johnson.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
This is painfully bad, like even beyond the technicals. But did dude just shoot a plane down with a Javelin?

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Good movies in this series: 1, then 5 to 8

Bad movies in the series: everything else

The absolute disrespect for Tokyo drift is sad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

2 is better than 1. Brian and Roman buddy cop
is so much more entertaining than Point Break leftovers.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I finally finished this last week and it is dumber than anything I could have imagined. I got two major observations:

First, I liked the part where Dom's car fought two helicopters, which had harpooned his doors. Even though they managed to lift up the back of his car, he was able to shift gears, and press on the peddle enough to make the car go back on the ground and he could defeat the helicopters.

Second, John Cena was smart to have his character die one movie after his introduction. These films are easy paychecks, but the acting is always lazy

stratdax posted:

Two films? It's gonna be three. Fast X, Fast X part 2, Fast X part 3. Just continuing the absolute nonsense that is the F&F naming scheme.

The Homestuck naming scheme

Combat Pretzel posted:

Finally saw this. As expected even dumber than every movie before it.

The only redeeming thing was Jason Momoa hamming it up. And I guess with Diesel apparently being pissed about it (i.e. Momoa stealing the limelight), there's probably something going to be done about that in the sequel.

I would have paid a full ticket price of admission to see blurry iphone footage of the exact moment that broke Justin Lin. Just what exactly was Vin Diesels ego defining moment that made the guy who directed half of the franchise just up and walk away from a $15,000,000 pay check?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

It's very funny to think about how the first movie ends in the epic car jump that then proceeds to completely wreck the car and compare it to what Dom does with his car in X.

There's like two Epic Car Jumps in 9 alone that are basically the same CG with different actors, which elicited a polite chuckle from the audience I was with.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

AmbientParadox posted:

I finally finished this last week and it is dumber than anything I could have imagined. I got two major observations:

First, I liked the part where Dom's car fought two helicopters, which had harpooned his doors. Even though they managed to lift up the back of his car, he was able to shift gears, and press on the peddle enough to make the car go back on the ground and he could defeat the helicopters.

Second, John Cena was smart to have his character die one movie after his introduction. These films are easy paychecks, but the acting is always lazy

The Homestuck naming scheme

I would have paid a full ticket price of admission to see blurry iphone footage of the exact moment that broke Justin Lin. Just what exactly was Vin Diesels ego defining moment that made the guy who directed half of the franchise just up and walk away from a $15,000,000 pay check?

It'd have to be massive, like he tried to fire Momoa or something.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Vin Diesel kept threatening to "Russian Roulette" cast and crew and claiming he "couldn't die"; it sounds like playing the invincible Dom for twenty-six years really got to his head.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

UnknownMercenary posted:

Didn't Vince die in 5?
They can bring him back.

AlternateAccount posted:

This is painfully bad, like even beyond the technicals. But did dude just shoot a plane down with a Javelin?
Well they can shoot down helicopters so shooting down a plane going low and slow enough? Why not. It's probably the least implausible thing in the movie.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Vin Diesel kept threatening to "Russian Roulette" cast and crew and claiming he "couldn't die"; it sounds like playing the invincible Dom for twenty-six years really got to his head.
26 years? The series isn't that old, and Dom only became "invincible Dom" in six right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYk30PRWyN4

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 27, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Assepoester posted:

26 years? The series isn't that old, and Dom only became "invincible Dom" in six right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYk30PRWyN4

I have reason to believe that Vin "Mark Sinclair" Diesel's Dominic Toretto has been gestating since 1997's Strays

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 28, 2023

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I wanna know how much Dodge has paid for product placement since those Chargers the crew uses seem invincible in the group chase scenes (and especially the safe heist in 5)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

the escape goat posted:

I wanna know how much Dodge has paid for product placement since those Chargers the crew uses seem invincible in the group chase scenes (and especially the safe heist in 5)

According to scientists, those two Chargers would need a combined ~198,000 horsepower to pull that (canonically) 10-ton vault like they did--and realistically, a vault that size is 8 or 10 times heavier. If that doesn't sell Chargers I don't know what will

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 28, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

According to scientists, those two Chargers would need a combined ~198,000 horsepower to pull that (canonically) 10-ton vault like they did--and realistically, a vault that size is 8 or 10 times heavier. If that doesn't sell Chargers I don't know what will

I mean, there's also a lot of "movie magic" going on in those scenes you're not going to pick up on from just watching the movie.

For example, the film techs almost certainly lubed that safe to hell, which would have reduced the friction from it dragging on the road and drastically reducing the number of horsepower those chargers needed to deliver.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

the escape goat posted:

If it's like video game contracts, they may not be able to portray the car as destroyed at all.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The vaults they used were also only 9000 lbs (4.5 US tons) and modified further, and many scenes were a vault mockup draped over a semi cab so it was actually being driven and steered, not pulled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaHxGu5YeKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXhxDpdfoYU

Name Change posted:

If it's like video game contracts, they may not be able to portray the car as destroyed at all.
They've definitely trashed the hell out of most of the chargers they've used, so it's not that

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the VF video about the vault is a pro-click

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I rushed out and bought a jeep Cherokee after seeing it get remote hacked

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm about halfway through fastx and it's nice to see a silly drag race in the middle of big action set pieces

The movie so far is kind of meh, except Jason Momoa looks like he's having so much fun

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Fast X is a mess and it seems like Vin has killed the golden goose by alienating Justin Lin.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

We said the same about The Rock and *gestures wildly*

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I still like the fast saga, it's just a magical formula. I enjoyed 10 even more than 8 or 9.

Random note, I highly recommend that French movie Taxi (1998), I may have recommended that before, that is primo Fast fan viewing.

Also this wild Indian spy movie Pathaan from this year, that is nuts and charming.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Watching Fast 8 with my girlfriend, neither of us paying much attention, very confused when Dom lets the villain kiss him all sexy like in front of Letty.

Gf: what the hell, Dom?
Me: lmao what are you doing Dom?
Gf: what the hell has she got on him?
Me: Mr Toretto I have in my vagina a doomsday device and the only way you can stop it is to dick me down
Gf: tick tock Mr Toretto
Me: dick... cock.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Imagine our delight when she actually got her hands on doomsday devices.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Welcome to the family baby Brian! Credits roll, I immediately hit play on F9. Girlfriend is yelling at me. We can't stop now, gotta go fast.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Nice, I think 9 is a lot more fun than 8, so hopefully you enjoy. 10 is probably the low point for me.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Hahaha oh my god the loving bridge scene this is so loving stupid I love it

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Me: HAN ER GJENOPPSTÅTT!
Gf: what the gently caress and also gently caress you

"He is risen" in Norwegian

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
lol yeah Tarzan swing the car.

Does Han coming back make sense? Nope. But the series is better for it.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
TimCurrySpace.gif

I need more Statham. They should crossover with The Transporter and Crank and find a way to make Shaw, Martin and Chelio triplets separated at birth.

E: hahahaha the truck takedown gently caress physics

E2: lmao ramming the satellite good god

Government Handjob fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 7, 2024

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Gear shifts before ramming satelitte

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

checkplease posted:

Gear shifts before ramming satelitte

It's one of the finest moments in cinema history

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

checkplease posted:

Does Han coming back make sense? Nope. But the series is better for it.

On the other hand they're probably regretting trying to do the same trick again with Gal Gadot (whose character's backstory is that she's former Israeli special forces)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It makes sense to retcon Han's death since nobody was happy about it and he's generally a good character. Bringing back Giselle is dumb because it pushes things too far for a character that nobody really cared about in the first place.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Um, if you care about Han you care about Giselle because he loves her.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He doesn't need a girlfriend. Let's not forget his last name.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER, they're talking about how F11 will have a lower budget and be a lower stakes story.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

F11 they fight for the deli with the crap tuna

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

So, FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER, they're talking about how F11 will have a lower budget and be a lower stakes story.

The events of the previous movie were actually just a campaign in a tabletop game that Dom played with the whole crew. This movie will be them finishing the campaign but the whole movie is just them at the table.

And if you're curious, yes, they do roll a nat 20 to get out of the big plane crash.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dom wakes up and discovers that everything after the first movie was just a coma dream after he crashed his car at the end of FF1.

Although really I don't know how they walk things back after the last movie ending with Dom driving down an exploding dam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Spending less money is fair as the last budget was kind of ridiculous, but high stakes was never the problem with the franchise. Last one was just poorly written and structured compared to the others.

I don’t get the throwback to the first. They have too many characters now for something intimate like that.