Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

I like the sound of that, and ditto for Nic Cage's obligatory presence. I'd also enjoy some Chow Yun-Fat. At least Andy Lau. Anybody who was really cool in the 90s. How about Madonna while we're at it. What's Sarah Michelle Gellar up to. And how about American Ninja Michael Dudikoff...

The other dimensional race crews will of course be nothing but cameo roles. Well have a dimension of nothing but academy award winners, a dimension of character actors, a dimension of previous fast and furious villain actors wearing mustaches, a dimension of star wars film actors, and of course a dimension of characters all played by gary oldman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope one of them is the evil Jet Li from The One.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The MSJ posted:

I hope one of them is the evil Jet Li from The One.

Unironically would almost be a clever cross over that could explain how Shaw (and the others) are drat near superhuman.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Remember how the first movie's big set piece was just them trying to steal some DVD players off the back of a truck

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope for dimension hopping, aliens, time travel, and the Furious meet God in the future installments.

EDIT:

Luda and Roman go back in time with their cars in dinosaur era to get their piece of the artifact
Han and Mia go back in time to race pirate ships for their piece of the artifact.
Letty and Dominic go to the future to race space ships for their piece of the artifact

They combine the artifact and God pops out and gives them their mission to race across dimensions to stop aliens from destroying all realities

Gatts fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 19, 2020

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Calaveron posted:

Remember how the first movie's big set piece was just them trying to steal some DVD players off the back of a truck

Was it even DVD players or was it still VHS

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

teacup posted:

Was it even DVD players or was it still VHS

I distinctly remember seeing the dvd logo but there were also tv vcrs

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

VCRs are expensive as hell now, that heist would have probably been worth more than the bank vaults they destroyed the city with

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Amazing

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

we can laugh but I believe nearly every poster here would pay hundreds to go back to 99 and watch F&F1 on one of those TV/VCR combos.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And in the last movie I watched they were driving around a city trying to outrun and outwit a missile firing drone while Vin Diesel had a dramatic dual handed wrench fight with Jason Statham who is finally defeated when an explosion cracks the very earth open to swallow him whole

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Calaveron posted:

And in the last movie I watched they were driving around a city trying to outrun and outwit a missile firing drone while Vin Diesel had a dramatic dual handed wrench fight with Jason Statham who is finally defeated when an explosion cracks the very earth open to swallow him whole

Dom dual-wields wrenches, while Shaw rips off pieces of his destoyed car. Creation vs destruction. Also, Drizzt vs Artemis.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Calaveron posted:

After Vin Diesel war stomps the cracked earth hard enough to split it. We can't forget the war stomp.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

well why not posted:

we can laugh but I believe nearly every poster here would pay hundreds to go back to 99 and watch F&F1 on one of those TV/VCR combos.

I watched it in the theater on loving 9/11. But yeah...

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

And then Hobs and Shaw fight a cyborg super solider

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I think it was someone in Thai thread who said the only way to reconcile the films beginnings (low level FBI agent wants to bust thieves who steal VCRs in fast cars) with what it is now (having Kurt Russell send them on a black ops mission to parachute cars out into the Caucasus regions or being chased by a nuclear submarine across an ice shelf) is to go full endgame.

They go back in time and collect the crew and everyone who has died and go back to F&F 1. Have Paul walkers brother cgi deaged to play Brian from the first one and then have like, I dunno Nicholas cafe or Hugh Jackman play some super bad guy who was actually around at the start because he knew Toretto had the Car Force and he wanted to steal it from his soul

Have some insane action scenes playing up from the best the series had so far

Have them fly into space and do a handbrake turn to dodge an asteroid (ludacris: “UHH GUYS... THEY GOT A COMET”) and nos boost back to earth

The last action scene though just straight up boosting VCRs off a truck because one of the trucks has a laserdisc with the hidden code imprinted on it with how to fix their time machine

BBQ in Doms back yard crack open a corona “la familia” have Brian leave the party play a new hit single by Charlie puth. gently caress I got something in my eye I’m not crying you’re crying

Fin

Credits roll

Open scene

Have a person wake up, get dressed, grab some keys, you see they are bald. They pick up their wallet license says Dominic toretto III

Keys in the ignition

Their flying car flys out of their hover garage and they go into a neo Tokyo

“Time to avenge Hans grandson”

FAST AND FURIOUS : 2099- COMING SUMMER

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The cast must unlock the power of their ignition keys to allow them to harness the power of their vehicle forms to take on the evil Combusticons

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They merge with their vehicles like in the iconic cartoon Van-pires.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

domnic toretto is a newtype

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would like to see Furiously Jump Fast Street 23 starring Tatum and Hill brought on to go undercover to infiltrate Dom’s group because Dom’s group is going to steel some Autobots. Megatron is the real baddie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of older movies, an interview with Justin Lin from 2009 is going around about Tokyo Drift where he talks about how Universal hired a guy who's job was to get arrested instead of Lin if the cops showed up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

"How are you able to drive a car like this?" shouts the character Toretto is rescuing.
"Because I don't drive the car." <his eyes glow blue like a NOs canisters> "I am the car" <dodges an itano circus of missiles>

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 22, 2020

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of older movies, an interview with Justin Lin from 2009 is going around about Tokyo Drift where he talks about how Universal hired a guy who's job was to get arrested instead of Lin if the cops showed up.

They call it the po-po drift.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Everyone's anticipating something huge and epic for FFX (you know it'll be a roman numeral, it's the only variant they haven't done yet) but I think it'd rock if they went back to their roots and it was a low-stakes crime drama as in the original movie and Tokyo Drift. There's no way it would ever happen, but winding it all down and going character driven like FF1 would be such a surprise.

For all the jokes around VHS/TV combo units, FF1 is actually pretty compelling. VIn Diesel is capital-A Acting - the monologue about his father's death is more memorable than entire films in this series - and the dual-identity stuff with Brian gets pretty intense.

Toretto's crew are all pretty well fleshed out. Vince in particular is memorable, but that might be because of his using a gay slur and then rocking a mesh tank while failing to make popcorn. Weird guy for a car chase movie. His arc is to get poo poo on constantly and be a loser in comparison to the leads. He gets beat up, Mia hooks up with Brian, then he gets seriously injured and has Brian save him. It's a tough life being an LA car goon.

The later films don't have time for characters like this as they have to fit in the 13 or so "ensemble members" around Vin DIesel's ego.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
They could get a Tarrasque for the next one. That would satisfy Vin’s DnD fetish

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
If they want to go back to basics they really should just do a 90s set prequel with a Letty and Dom origin story movie with a new young cast. I actually think that could be really compelling or it could also be a direct to video mess

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A prequel series with Letty and Dom where Dom is like 15 years older than Letty and its super creepy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Film opens with Dom racing, and just as he is about to win, it explodes killing him. He wakes up in the afterlife, where he has to team up with Han and other fallen racers in order to win a ticket back to the land of the living

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Who will play Steve McQueen?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

muscles like this! posted:

Wait... what?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Barudak posted:

Film opens with Dom racing, and just as he is about to win, it explodes killing him. He wakes up in the afterlife, where he has to team up with Han and other fallen racers in order to win a ticket back to the land of the living

Drive Angry canon to F&F Universe.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Boywhiz88 posted:

Wait... what?
https://jalopnik.com/tokyo-drift-had-to-hire-a-fall-guy-to-get-arrested-on-s-1844445611

quote:

The studio was well aware of the difficulty in acquiring film permits in Japan; in fact, most movies set in the city are shot at other locations and reproduced to look like Tokyo. Ever since the James Bond 1967 film, You Only Live Twice, laws and regulations have become more strict. The process is expensive and frustrating, so Tokyo-set movies are rarely authentic. Some directors went to great lengths to shoot on-location, like the case with Sofia Coppola negotiating heavily to film 2003's Lost in Translation. Lin, however, was still a newcomer at the time, so he took the risk. Universal then hired a “fall guy” who remained on set if trouble arose. Shortly after shooting in Shibuya, the crew was kicked out of the area by law enforcement. When the police attempted to arrest the director, the fall guy claimed that he was Lin and spent a night in jail.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So some guys have made their own remake for The Fast and the Furious for around $100 bucks and only staring the two of them as a way of passing the time during quarantine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFFvudZKlNs

Also I got a thread where I watch all the movie over in the BlockBuster Video subforum:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930404

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Doing 2 Fast 2 Furious Simulwatch tonight tune in now for Sanic Speedruns for additional gofast:
https://cytu.be/r/davewatchesstuff

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://deadline.com/2020/10/fast-and-furious-franchise-ending-two-more-films-justin-lin-director-universal-vin-dieseli-1234600644/

Just two more movies with Justin Lin back to direct them.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It goes to 11! This is the kind of vision we demand.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

well why not posted:

rprise.

Toretto's crew are all pretty well fleshed out. Vince in particular is memorable, but that might be because of his using a gay slur and then rocking a mesh tank while failing to make popcorn. Weird guy for a car chase movie. His arc is to get poo poo on constantly and be a loser in comparison to the leads. He gets beat up, Mia hooks up with Brian, then he gets seriously injured and has Brian save him. It's a tough life being an LA car goon.

The later films don't have time for characters like this as they have to fit in the 13 or so "ensemble members" around Vin DIesel's ego.

Iirc the actor is insane in real life, which made the best F&F ever, Torque, loving pop.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Iirc the actor is insane in real life, which made the best F&F ever, Torque, loving pop.

He was also in both the first two blade movies in different roles. He was the 'I got his pigsticker' guy in the first one, and Chupa, the one with the drum fed m16, in the second. He was also an impressively crazy bad guy in the Transporter.

He was a model for a bit. He's not aged well at all and I wonder what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

how crazy? his twitter feed is ... sad:

https://twitter.com/Matt_Schulze/status/64510748902174720

https://twitter.com/Matt_Schulze/status/64519427311415298

( they did not )