Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
This new one was a lot of fun and a good reason to get back into movie theaters. Peak FF is still 5,6,7.
The Dom/Jacob story was decent enough and it did seem that Jacob never really wanted to kill Dom. There is an aspect of cartoon logic always. but they are want to "tie up" the captured heroes vs execution you might see in a more "realistic" movie.

I kind of feel like fast 1 is rectonned out at this point. Like yeah Brian meeting Dom was important, but would this Dom really have been robbing trucks for DVD/VHS players? Imagine what Jacob would have been doing at this same point in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah so Dom was robbing more for the thrill of it than need. And Jacob is doing some kind of military/spy training to ideally serve his country. So there is some reversal in ideals for each of them at some point.

I wonder what Jacob/partner's goal was originally with Ares. The partner refers to himself as the good guys and Luke Skywalker. I have to assume that everyone thought whatever Cipher/partner were going to do with Ares was worse than Jacob also.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I thought the magnets were fun. It was something new for the franchise, differed a bit from cars ramming or harpooning each other. But I would not want to see them in the next film, even though that would make the most sense for the characters in that film world.

Can we all agree that gear shifting the rocket car in space was definitely a great choice though.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
He’s got long hair vs diesels no hair. I assume he will love craft beer and have a strict, traditional definition of family.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Brie Larson just confirmed to be joining F10 via vins Instagram.

Brian’s sister? Or time traveling daughter like a dbz Trunks?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Also that’s more of a tag line than a title. And definitely overplayed

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Or maybe a speed racer crossover with racer x finding a new family.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
drat, so apparently Justin Lin decided he no longer wanted to direct Fast X. Director search is on. Maybe a return if Wan?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Current rumors say creative differences, though that doesn’t say much. Surprising as he’s been on the series so many times already.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Sometimes family gets complicated.

Trying to think of some fun possible directors. Wan is obvious, but maybe something crazier.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah..Singleton was always such an interesting choice for the car racing movie at that point.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Well they brought In Tyrese to play the Vin part. So when Vin returns, Roman changes. But I always feel like 2 needs some Vin.

The series is at its best with 5 and up where each family members get their own little quests and chance to shine. Obviously Vin and Paul had the leads, but by 9 Luda and Tyrese get the most memorable scene in driving in space.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Midjack posted:

They're both ex-cons with shaved heads and an interest in cars, what else do you need.

Right, and they wanted Vin back with Paul but he went for XxX. Roman helps Paul out and gets his crimes forgiven. You can see how that would work for Vin too, instead of other ex con guy who drives fast that is also furious at Brian for betraying him. Just happens to know from childhood. But it’s a good thing as expanded fast family has been a blessing.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I think Cena pulls off a good jealous little brother energy. But def would like to see him having more fun in fast x.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Louis is an interesting choice. Transporter films were fun action. But not a particular wild choice like some may have hoped. But I guess Lin already had a lot setup, so maybe only so much a new director can add.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Maybe they should have just got a small time director that Vin could just ghost direct.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
That’s a really interesting article. Sounds like a combination of factors led to the Lin exit and shows how big the movies are getting.

- studio demanding rewrites still after a locked script
- location changes due to Ukraine
- Vin being bossy and annoying and a big fight with him.
- increased pressure as budget approaches 300 million with much tied up in cost of actors
- film becoming more important for Universal financials

The article also says that Lin quit in the heat of the moment, but studio took it seriously immediately. Did they want him out? Or maybe just weird article wording?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Seems like Ramsey is her biggest role since games of thrones ended. But that’s true for most of the cast. Fast and furious is the money maker for them.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
9 was a step up from Hobbes/Shaw and F8 for me. 9 was just a lot of fun with everyone in the cast getting good stuff to do.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I’m sold. Send those cars driving through a volcano with lava repelling magnets.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Everyone wants in on the family now. I assume Rita will have a tiny segment like Mirren gets now. Or maybe both family matriarchs riding on a mission tighter…

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
https://www.thewrap.com/universal-box-office-future-fast-furious/

Budget up to $340 million for fast 10, where are those cars going where they don’t belong now.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Depends on how many movies you want to do. I go 1, 5,6,7. If you got time can add 4 in for some continuity and ending like other said. 9 can also be fun for a group for just how crazy series gets with magnets and going to space.

I feel like Tokyo drift depends on group a little. It’s pretty corny and lead is weak, but it’s a lot fun if you just embrace all that. The later films are big action blockbusters and more likely to please.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I think Statham as a villain might be the best though. He’s just so menacing and causing havoc whenever he shows up in 7.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
She can be a cyborg now like Idris Elba in the spin-off. Though I’m also ok if they just ignore that film.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
F9 is fun because they have to manually shift the rocket car into gear in space.

Also so many magnets.

Roman is given an actual comedic role vs just being part of a Ramsey love triangle with Tej.

In general, the nice aspect about 9 is how much the spotlight is shared. It’s Tej and Roman who go to space for the big memorable stunt. Ramsey gets the fun scene of not knowing how to drive. Han has his own plot line, Mia and Letty get some big action and emotional scenes. Obviously Dom has the big showdown at the end and his hulk destroying the stair case scene, but there’s a lot of good stuff given to others.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
They should just embrace fat Vin. Sleeveless shirt with a big gut hanging out while drifting a charger across lava.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Bring in James Cameron for X part 2. I want to see some rocket powered American chargers drifting in that avatar 3d.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh drat this looks fun. Smart calling back to best one, fast 5.

Don’t see anything crazy in this one like space car or submarine jump.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Face-off (swap faces, also fight) between letty and cypher at the end of trailer?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
He’s a lvl 20 driver with a specialization in chargers. Mid air acceleration checks out.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Midjack posted:

If Diesel insisted on that i could see Lin clocking out over it.

Kind of doubt this considering how clue Vin was to Paul. Seems like twitter drama

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Maybe, but they gave this movie even more money and new actors keep joining. So something is working also.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ha that’s funny, super magents and car Tarzan swing? That’s ok. But space, too far.

I do think f9 was good at giving Tyrese a unique role that he was kind of lacking in f7 and f8.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
are those 3 your fav? But cool to see them again in theaters

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What if fast and furious becomes the new bond and actors compete to be the best Dom

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
https://www.thewrap.com/fast-x-dwayne-johnson-the-rock-hobbs-credits-scene/

Didn’t expect this

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I wonder if black Adam not doing as well helped also.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I have seen few call out 2 as their favorite, but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen it. Also wild that Jon Singleton directed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Ok who (also?) is getting this. Amc promo.