Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

raditts posted:

I still think he's a fool to not make the final F&F movie tie seamlessly into the Riddick movies.

It's kind of cool to contrast FnF, which handled the transition from small scale to big adventures, to Riddick, which tried to do the same transition all in one movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Horrible Taste posted:

He must really wants to play D&D with her again.

When i get a little down, i picture them playing DnD on the set of Riddick and it always makes me feel a little better.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

You don’t need FF, just watch Bad Boys For Life now and forever.

I thought that was actually pretty uninteresting. It felt...small, like the pilot of a Bad Boys tv show, not a sequel to Bad Boys 2, one of the most insane films ever made

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

They actually did do a bad boys tv show with none of the main cast

Apparently it had Gabrielle Union but "On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the series holds an approval rating of 7% based on 14 reviews, with an average rating of 4.11/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "A spin-off to nowhere, L.A.'s Finest operates on outdated sensibilities and wastes its talented leads' time—especially unfortunate considering Gabrielle Union's committed performance."[33] On Metacritic, it has a weighted average score of 46 out of 100, based on 6 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews"

Mixed or average is doing a lot of work there.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Iirc the actor is insane in real life, which made the best F&F ever, Torque, loving pop.

He was also in both the first two blade movies in different roles. He was the 'I got his pigsticker' guy in the first one, and Chupa, the one with the drum fed m16, in the second. He was also an impressively crazy bad guy in the Transporter.

He was a model for a bit. He's not aged well at all and I wonder what happened.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Zedd posted:

Tokyo Drift is in my top 2, the exact spot depends on how I feel.

You can't not-love a movie where people with p serious childhood trauma say it's NBD once they get to drift.

6 and 5 are the best crazy FnF films, while Tokyo Drift is the best sensible FnF.

I know i'm stretching the word 'sensible' there but you know what i mean.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

I think I do, because I was thinking about how it’s the only one with training montages, and how the character arcs play out. Han rules as a mentor, even if it’s weird that he’s hooking multiple teens up with incredibly expensive equipment.

It makes sense for a guy who has to be impossibly rich and, to stick with the DnD metaphor, massively overleveled for this area, to just give kids super high end equipment to see what they do.

Also, just to clarify, one, two, three and bits of four are clearly set in the real world, while 5 onwards are very clearly not.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's nice to see Jason Tobin in this. I was sure he was going to bug the gently caress out of me on Warrior, since I usually hate that archetype (the weird looking horndog gangster) but he owned that role and won me over really quickly.

Also, holy poo poo this looks bugfuck insane in the best possible way. I'm glad Lin's back. He's got an absolute superpower to depict the dumbest, most ridiculous poo poo and make it feel completely sincere and real. Reminds me a little of John Milius: take the dumbest concept and play it completely straight and the audience follows along.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpyv0QA4HHk

It's cool that it seems like most of the stunts are practical effects and not just pure cgi.

Lin's really dedicated to blending real and CGI and he does it better than anyone except maybe George Miller.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Anyone suggesting stuff from Edinburgh be cut is a fool. If they had, we wouldn't have got every character pronouncing the city's name slightly differently.

B-Rock452 posted:

So last year was really hard and honestly my mental health took a toll. Really been working on it and since I have seen every Fast and Furious movie on opening night since the first one of course I saw this one. And it ruled. Really felt like a nice return to the movies and definitely going to see it again. Justin Lin is a fantastic director (everyone should watch Warrior) and it was just a ton of fun. Highly recommend.

I'm really glad to hear it. It's been a ritual for me and a friend since Fast Five and he's had a rough couple of last years too.

Is there anything these movies can't do?

Ravenfood posted:

The "as long as we obey the laws of physics" line was amazing.

5 still the series highpoint.

For me it's 6. The first chase in london, the tank chase, the runway and joe taslim all in the same movie.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The first three or so are pretty bad movies just aping the typical style of "boys with cars" movies from the 2000's. Around 4 they start getting weirder. 5-7 are the high points of the franchise so far. 7 is outright bizarre.

The third is actually weirdly good. It's basically the same formula as the first, but done by a really talented director who throws a lot more energy and skill at the project than he really needs to.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

After 1, the series is briefly two franchises - 2F2F and Tokyo Drift are two attempts at following the original movie. 2F2F gets the heightened action and exaggeration, while Tokyo Drift gets the medium-stakes crime and famiky drama.

2F2F is a total fever dream. That torture scene is beyond stuff you'd see in 24, and it's probably about as gay as Top Gun.

Tokyo Drift gets the fish-out-of water, new environment stuff. There's action and car stuff, of course, but it doesn't really do anything that outrageous. Not compared to the hacking harpoon gun in 2F2F, at least.

Tokyo Drift is a better movie and probably would've done OK without the confusing branding.

3 was also released in that 'what...they're making another one...and nobody from the original is in it?' It felt more like the last gasp of a franchise, the straight to dvd sequels, just in cinemas. It's amusing since, in retrospect, it's the directorial debut of the guy who made it an actual franchise.

I didn't see it until the lead up to Fast Five when someone here recommended it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Forget retconning han's death any more, retcon the heist in the first one and it turns out those combo dvd/vcrs are actually some sort of secret superweapon. We need to remember that 'trucker with a gun' is actually the teams greatest enemy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Rewatched the first 4 movies. It’s fun pretending John Cena, Kurt Russell, and Jason Statham are just lurking around in the background out of focus in every scene

"All my nemeses are just out of frame, familying too"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Everyone posted:

Fs 5, 6 and 7 were probably the best movies in the franchise and they all had Johnson in them. 8 fell down a bit but that was likely more due to the loss of Paul Walker than to the presence of the the Rock.

Nah, it was just a shift in director. It took 4 movies for Lin to learn that perfect balance between absurdity and sincerity that makes the movies work. James Wan had something very similar and Gray never quite found the sweet spot. Paul Walker, despite by all accounts being a nice guy, was not the thing holding FnF together.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The genuinely surprising part of these movies is that we still haven't gotten a decent video game out of them. They lend themselves so well to some sort of "diddy kong racing but sexy/gritty" formula, where some people are in planes, some in hovercraft, some in tanks and so on. It's weird that we never got it. Then again, I guess video game adaptations of film properties have been dying off for a long time. They used to be almost guaranteed.

Everyone posted:

I don't know. I could see the idea of Walker being the nice guy that got the egos of Diesel and Johnson to get along being something that held FnF together.

I see that argument. He did have that channing tatum quality of being able to have on screen chemistry with basically anyone.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Yea Fast X is probably a forgone conclusion, it's too obvious.

Who the gently caress knows what they do with 11, that's such an awkward number to end the series on. Although it's not even really ending, that article says they're still gonna do "Fast & the Furious Presents:" movies after that, and so what's even the difference? If it's various characters from the Fast & Furious series then who cares what the title is?

"Where will it stop? Mum reckons 11"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

GoldStandardConure posted:

this is going straight to the pool room

"Tej was an ideas man"
"You're an ideas man, Tej"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Dom reckons racing is 10% Nos and 95% drifting, the rest is just family.

Actually, can we get at least a couple of Castle cast members? Eric Bana's not busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mandrel posted:

actually, I mean they're both universal, and wasn't there a quote from somebody about crossing Fast over with other franchises not being out of the question? He might literally be Aquaman

Aquaman is Warner Bros.