Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I like the sound of that, and ditto for Nic Cage's obligatory presence. I'd also enjoy some Chow Yun-Fat. At least Andy Lau. Anybody who was really cool in the 90s. How about Madonna while we're at it. What's Sarah Michelle Gellar up to. And how about American Ninja Michael Dudikoff...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It goes to 11! This is the kind of vision we demand.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tokyo Drift is pure genius. I'm genuinely impressed by the pedigree of furious writer Chris Morgan. They've gotta bring him back for F&F 10.

Somebody writes 3 through 8 of the saga, you don't let him go! (As REO Speedwagon once said)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This is so drat glorious. Lin being back makes me a happy man. And word on the street of ol' Chris Morgan writing again on 10 too is good to hear. We need to re-create the conditions of Fast Five in a lab, and make that movie magic again at least a few more times.

Also, Tarantino was talking about doing a Star Trek. Justin Lin directed a Star Trek (which would've been good if Tarantino or Chris Morgan wrote it). We need these three to team up and make Furious 11, just a bit of QT polish why not. Or they could all team up after Fast 11 for the next most extreme glorious adventure ever filmed.

QT's Furious 11 will need at least 3 hours of run-time, he needs some extra room.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 11, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

well why not posted:

Oh and Brian is alive, you just can't see him!

That's cool. I always figured that was the case, so good to know.

It is wild that this is out, I'm pumped for it. Still not sure if I'm going to a theater just yet, but that's cool. I'll definitely catch 10 and 11 in theaters. Silly as it may be, the idea that Chris Morgan is back writing on those actually makes me more excited for those ones.

Cena rules, so that's a big thing for this one. He was so drat funny in Bumblebee, it is not surprising his shtick translates well to movies. Good to hear there's some good Roman, and I also like that it sounds like this movie has Freddy, Jason, Predator, Mary Poppins, and the Terminator specifically from T2 so that's cool.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

well why not posted:

Vin says they're still waiting for someone, then an R34 GTR shows up at the house. The also, earlier, say that all their kids are in the safest place they can be - WITH BRIAN. I want to see the movie where Paul Walker does daddy day care the rowdy F&F Kids. It'd be better than this lol

That rules. I gotta say, it is nice how classy that all sounds.

Ok, so, we still need Nic Cage in the next one.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 24, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just today I was explaining to my dad how Han wasn't in two similar explosions in the previous films, they were both the same event. Gotta love this timeline. It is fun that my parents are watching them all though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fate Accomplice posted:

no one in this movie listens to anything anyone else says.

they're just waiting their turn to give their trailer-candidate line reading.

They better have Chris Morgan legit lined up to write 10 and 11. You don't let a golden goose like Chris get away!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mr. Apollo posted:

Instead of a “Danger to Manifold!!!” warning we see a “Danger to Magnets!!!” warning.

This reminds me, just rewatched the first one, still a classic. I find it funny how "The Trucker with a shotgun" who they face in the climax is by far the most formidable foe they've ever faced. And he got away too.

When they were foreshadowing a bit with "these truckers are gonna take matters into their own hands!", I didn't take it seriously. Turns out a trucker with a shotgun is not something they were ready for that day. Maybe an homage to Easy Rider in a roundabout way.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Watched F9 last night, outside on a friend's projector, very much like a Toretto get together. Glorious flick! I give it an F9 out of 10. Or out of 11! Man I'm pumped for F10 and 11.

I loved that Roman got that badass moment near the beginning spinning around with the assault rifle. And all that other craziness. That was on my wishlist, since he gets the funny butt of the joke moments, wanted to see him just slay fools. Since that brings balance to the force. Masterful stuff. Loved that subplot about being invincible too.

Echoing everything said here (also - I want Nic Cage!), great to see the Fast crew again. They just get it.

That said, do get lucky charm Chris Morgan back in the writing team for 10 and 11.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hell yeah! You mentioning Macau reminds me, we need Chow Yun-Fat as well. And personally I'd get a kick out of Edge (Money Plane's Adam Copeland) showing up as a villain goon fighting Cena. And bring back Eva Mendez's character of course, bonus Ghost Rider reunion.

Really, just anybody who was around and cool in 2006, they probably deserve a spot here.

Also, I need to watch this again. This is such a dense meal of a Fast film, this will take three viewings to really take it all in I think. A feast.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 2, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I really like Cena, there's something quirky about his acting style I like. When it comes to being a hammy big facial expressions angry guy, there's just something fun about how Cena does it. His line delivery too etc. And we know he can do comedy, I feel his character has a lot of potential. We ain't Cena nothing yet. Big Dave is great in Guardians, but overall I think Cena has more potential right now.

On The Rock vs Vin, not that I need a side in this zillionaire mega battle, but for this series I concur with Vin. Creatively he's done a good job, that writer Chris Morgan has talked about how Vin came up with good ideas etc. When The Rock had more creative control in Hobbs & Shaw, I felt it resulted in a weaker movie. And I feel Hobbs is all wrong now. He would've fit great into the ensemble if he continued being a very cranky, smashing things, more action than words kind of guy. Now he's a congenial jokey gentle family man character, not unlike all his other roles. That edge made Hobbs different, and even for comedy that could have been played for laughs in a more creative way. Think Cable in Deadpool 2 for an extreme example of what I'm thinking there. Or Karl Urban's Judge Dredd. Would be cool if he showed up to help in F11, but I think him being a highlight of one arc of the series fits ok as well.

Agreed that it's nice to see Shaw, and of course Han.

All F10 needs is more Chris Morgan, because he's a genius, and apparently that may happen.

https://screenrant.com/fast-furious-10-11-movie-filming-details/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

2 Fast 2 Furious is indeed one of the best bromances ever put to film. When Roman talks about how he's alone, and Brian says "not anymore cuz", it does bring a tear to the eye. Goddamn it that's beautiful.

Agreed Cena rocked in The Suicide Squad, and I tell ya, he's gonna deliver the goods in abundance F10 and 11. This guy is on right now.

And there's gotta be a way we can get our Nic Cage ideas to the studio.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Let's not forget about part 11! That's gonna be darn good. Also, that sort of ties it with Jason of Friday the 13th fame, though Freddy vs Jason would bring him to 12. Though Hobbs and Shaw could technically add to the count.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

muscles like this! posted:

I thought that they had previously announced 10 would be the last one.

Oddly enough, they announced 10 and 11 at the same time. F11 is very real, oh yes!

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/fast-and-furious-franchise-ending-justin-lin-1234811481/

https://collider.com/fast-10-fast-11-justin-lin-interview/

I'm pumped.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Much like a good band, sometimes you need a bit of crazy and eccentric. Vin is the secret sauce of Fast & Furious, and he knows what is best for this mighty saga. These gazillionaires can comedically slight each other, it's funny. I just need this mighty saga.

Also, The Rock was at one time aligned with Vince McMahon and was a heel! Surely his villainous deeds on TV are on record. He has betrayed many allies in what we call a heel turn. Dastardly.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's beautiful. Family. I like the headlines about people joining the Fast family. They got family.

Knock on wood, the saga shall never jump the shark, and 11 will get the long overdue awards much like Return of the King did.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That movie was disappointing for me as well. Too many cooks in the kitchen, especially the humor style. I really enjoyed 8 and especially 9 though. 8 was surprisingly entertaining, since hero vs hero is played out for me. But they kind of had their own spin on it, with Dom being in duress, and it had some pizazz.

9 was just good times, so bombastic and it really felt like episode 9 of a big budget Fast TV series or something. In a good way. Just unapologetically the next episode in the saga, and more comic booky and nutty than ever. With that heart of furious gold.

Don't skimp on the Kurt Russell though F10 and 11.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Midjack posted:

David Lynch.

This would be glorious! At least put him in the movie.

I say they form an alliance of directors, a director's room. Get John Woo, both John Wick guys (haven't tried Chad yet), Wachowskis, Coens, an animated segment by Hayao Miyazaki, Tarantino, Rodriguez, Jon Favreau, Hideo Kojima, you name it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

These are wild times for the saga. We need this movie (and 11) to be glorious. They can't mess this up. Lou could do.

On Vin being difficult and a weirdo, this is the secret sauce of the franchise. Sometimes you need an oddball maniac to make a saga as good as the saga.

Random example, Michael Douglas mentioned that Debra Winger bit him in the 80s, she's a biter, and he considers her a character. Though he chose not to work with her for that reason. But still. She was doing some great work at the time!

That said, it really sucks that he made things unpleasant for Justin. Hopefully somebody gives that guy the keys to a great new action series. Just for the record on the Daily News thing linked, that's a tabloid and doesn't have a quote from Justin etc.

Also, I wonder what Justin remaining on as a producer will entail. On the new director, I wonder how much of this franchise is a machine in place like with a TV series. Do they have regular second unit directors, DP, etc, I haven't checked that out. I heard Sam Raimi on a podcast talking about when he did second unit for the Coens on Hudsucker Proxy, second unit work seems unsung and interesting.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 2, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Their sacrifice makes them heroes, we need these movies! Four weeks down, 80 to go. Stanley Kubrick style.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

All we ask is two more, then everybody can go home. This can't fall apart until the saga concludes gloriously.

Dom is one of the most legendary characters, the Buddha of the road. The Stallone of Street Samurai. I need this to hold together until credits roll on Fast 11. I've got a lot riding on this.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ok, here we go, I'm gonna do a giant Vin Instagram style post here.

Y'all know we're family in here. This thread was all about positive vibes, like a cool oasis in a sea of discord. One little story, or a couple, a little backstage drama. The Saga hits a little berg or two. That's it? Game over? No, nah, no. We put that car back on the road and we go up that mountain one more time. Two more times. We're back baby.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, that's fun stuff. For me I'd probably do 1,4,5 right away, then do 2 and 3 the next time. The ending of 4 is legendary.

Tokyo Drift may be the better movie, but I like the epic gravitas of the Paul/Dom saga with 4, making 5 even more powerful. Does seem like a fine series to mix around like a comic book reading order. I concur you picked the four best movies in the series I'd say, plus good group viewing picks.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

the escape goat posted:

explaining the timeline and how the studio deadass went “we love this guy, everyone loves this guy, we’re gonna shuffle up the chronological order also yeah gently caress it we’re gonna say “Better Luck Tomorrow” is canon” to my friends was a delight

I just watched that, it was ok to so-so I feel. Han was pretty much a non-character in it. His role was just to look cool and he had much less than about five other characters in the film. And really his character is an ineffectual doofus in it, but it's not his fault he's in a directorial debut indie drama. It's an okay movie for about 2/3rds, has its moments.

I'd rather watch Young & Dangerous or 25th Hour or something like that. I don't think it adds to Han in this series, on the canon thing. And he does have a different last name. At least these guys got a career out of it. I guess we could find it interesting that even the cool legend Han was once a heinously flawed idiot in his youth. But that makes it sound more interesting than it is, since he gets so little substance in the film. I'm rambling. I guess I found the movie a bit baffling by the end. Just a hodgepodge of trying to fit in with other movies of its ilk. But it's this kind of close but not quite film that makes you ramble. It's a movie.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Granted, he still comes out smelling like roses in the Fast films though. You can have a positive experience as the fifth banana. Take those Ocean's movies, you can still hold your head high in a big ensemble with a few fun moments.

Speaking of which, Al Pacino should be in Fast X.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

High Warlord Zog posted:

I imagine Gal Gadot will be back in some capacity now that they're officially doing no more Wonder Woman movies

It should be De Niro, he was in Ronin. Or Ryan O'Neal is he's still up for acting. Has Pacino done an iconic car movie?

Also would be incredible! Al did once arguably get the better of De Niro in a car situation one time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU60gUOTBVU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is funny, but I can't fault 'em. Doesn't make a lot of sense to focus on her character for the last couple movies story wise. But then again I do want more Han, and if her and Han get together... that's family.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I feel like it kinda worked, given the tone the series has at the moment. Though I've only seen F9 once so far, so my memory is hazy. Looking at the character wiki pages to explain it is wild, yet I feel it kind of pulls it off. It's I guess not just that Han is a spy, apparently the reason he knows Mr. Nobody is through Gisele. And the reason he'd care about the Project Ares thing is because he cares about Elle etc. Family in other words.

I do like that wikipedia contradicts itself for F9 in a way. It says Deckard Shaw was used to fake Han's death, then mentions how Deckard is surprised to see Han is alive. That ever retconned car explosion scene is definitely funny, but I gotta respect it.

I've also gotta see that slightly extended cut of F9.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's a tabloid paper. Just saying, because I dunno, it's just funny that people would take it at face value. It's like linking the onion or something. And the quotes are such classic clickbait, it reminds me of those wrestling news sites back when I was watching. Not to say Vin isn't kooky. But hey, Justin is still on as a producer, it doesn't seem that crazy of a situation really. Now we've got The Transporter guy bringing the French power to the film, I think he's ready for a comeback. And Lin's writing will be in the mix somewhere.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

We know who is in that family... Nic Cage! The king, who must bestow us with his presence in Fast 11. My friend is probably gonna throw on his new dodgy western tonight, I don't see why he isn't in F11

(Editors note: I don't have my glasses on, I saw the word Ford, Francis Ford, Harrison Ford, all good)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speaking of creative upheavel, I still can't believe Chris Morgan (Tokyo Drift through 8... also Hobbs) isn't writing on Fast X. That guy is a legend too, unsung hero. The Charles Dickens of the car adventure.

Similarly, Derek Kolstad isn't writing John Wick 4. Still looks awesome, but that guy is a genius.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 15, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Timby posted:

As I understand it, Morgan's exit was for similar reasons as Lin's: They couldn't stand dealing with Diesel anymore.

Where is this info from? Not to say it can't be true, but we've got a high standard of journalism in here. I had read a couple slashfilm interviews with Chris where it sounded like he enjoyed working with Vin, at least at the time.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

There are two kinds of movies: Fast X, and other movies. I'm gonna watch Fast X.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDGRv_VisWk

Thank you, based Dom.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm a fan, he's really good in these. Always good to rewatch these. I'm up to Fast 5 on my rewatches, and for Fast 9 did you see that 7 mins longer extended edition? Sounds like Justin Lin prefers those versions of his films.

Any takes on the extended / director's cut version of Fate of the Furious? If it was the usual 5 mins I'd just throw it on, but it's 12.5 mins longer, and the movie would probably benefit being shorter. But there are some quotes where F. Gary Gray is saying it has more "edgy humor" he likes or something, sounds intriguing. But also a bit of a time investment. 13 mins folks. Yes I've spent a good 10 mins looking into these matters.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

muscles like this! posted:

Not sure where they're getting the info but I've seen a couple articles claim that Fast X kills Hobbs but does it off screen. Which is getting into very petty territory.

I'll say, because it's kind of a funny parallel, remember how The Rock starred in a GI Joe sequel that vaguely killed many fan favs off screen? More the studio's fault I'd figure. How do you not have Scarlett, Baroness, Hawk, and I find Marlon underrated as Ripcord too, etc etc. Many more. Still a fun movie for Cobra Commander and Jonathan Pryce as President Zartan. That is one movie where the villains were way more lovable.

That said, Hobbs did rock for a while, especially in 5 and 7. Just caught Furious 7 recently too, so good. Mondo pumped for Fast X.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just saw it tonight, so good! What a movie. Also had a friend there who had X as their first entry in the series, since Tokyo Drift back in the day. They dug it.

What a kitchen sink masterpiece of Fast movie magic. Now I gotta wait two years. Also Han was way cool, I liked in scenes with a few characters goofing around he was just being cool. Man that guy is cool.

Hope Kurt Russell is back for 11 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I still like the fast saga, it's just a magical formula. I enjoyed 10 even more than 8 or 9.

Random note, I highly recommend that French movie Taxi (1998), I may have recommended that before, that is primo Fast fan viewing.

Also this wild Indian spy movie Pathaan from this year, that is nuts and charming.