Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hand Knit posted:

I thought on this more and it's gonna turn out to be something like Helen Mirren saved Han and in her conversation with Dom she says something like "sometimes our family err and sometimes it's our fault because we caused it but they're still family so we still try to look out for them and fix their mistakes." And this of course will provide Dom with some crucial insight and motivational change going into act 3 which may or may not lay the ground for John Cena joining the team.

I still keep wishing/hoping that Helen Mirren's character will somehow turn out to be Victoria from the Red movies. Bonus points if John Malkovich shows up as Marvin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

muscles like this! posted:

drat, Scott Caan is a tiny, tiny man if he's shorter than Elijah Wood.

Tragedy will ensue on the set of Swift and Annoyed 10: Part II when Gal Gadot accidentally? kills Scott Caan by stepping on him as though he were an ant.

Oooooh idea! Nicolas Cage joins the F&F franchise as John Milton, his character from Drive Angry.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

FiftySeven posted:

I loved everything about this film. Absolutely batshit but extremely fun to watch. I am thinking at this point that the next move is to reveal that out of nowhere, all of this insanity is part of the MCU project and the Loki TV series sets up the stage for Fast and the Furious: Enter the multiverse. Dom and his familia literally join the Avengers and use Iron Mans helmet as an icebucket to keep their Coronas cool. Don't tell me this couldn't happen, nothing is off the table anymore.

Works for me. I probably annoyed some people in the theater when I broke out cackling with laughter at Tej's "As long as we obey the laws of physics" line.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Thought it was kind of weird how now everything that happens to the Family is because of Mr Nobody behind the scenes. Also thought it was funny how Jakob didn't even have to wait until the sequel to get redeemed.

Part of it was that Dominic was kind of the one who had hosed up by kicking Jakob out of the family for something that really wasn't his fault. I admit that I kind of liked that part. It put it in perspective that one reason Dom hit it off so well with Brian was that all this time he'd been seeking a replacement for the brother he'd banished.

I'm waiting for it to turn out that all this stuff was some kind of game between Nobody and his secret daughter, Cipher, which will all be resolved when Dom gets them to hug it out and they all have a family bar-b-q compete with CGI Paul Walker arriving on angel wings.

Also, we learned that one reason Cipher is so scary is that she can insult you so badly that it makes you turn over control of your organization to her. Still, that Yoda burn was hilariously mean and I loved it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jerkface posted:

I don't like that the F9 (this stands for family 9 )crew blew up that satellite so recklessly. They deffo hosed up the entire low earth orbit with that debris.

edit:

canonically now Gravity takes place in the F&F universe because this shows the inciting incident to the debris field that destroys the shuttle
\/\/\/\/

Well, to be fair, Plan A was to destroy the satellite's internal electronic with the magnet and leave the satellite intact. It was only after that failed that they did the crash because at that point the choice was A) Pollute Space a little more or B) give control of all of Earth's nukes/etc to John Cena (and effectively to Cipher

Also, was Erik Magnus just sneaking and teleporting just out of frame? Because magnets don't actually work like that.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Tej had a line about how he has no idea where the bad guys got the magnets and that they're more powerful than any civilian or military magnets should be but it is never followed up on.

Yeah, but if I have a really powerful flashlight that emits super-bright light and I turn it off, it doesn't somehow suck in light from the rest of the room. The "magnets" here could suck metals to them and then shoot those metals away. Now matter how powerful a magnet is, if you turn it off the metal stuff to it just falls away, it's not propelled.

teacup posted:

Another thing never followed up on, did we ever even find mr nobody?

Nope. Maybe in FF10.

Oh and a third bit, Otto tells Cipher that they're the "good guys" and compares his crew to the Rebels in Star Wars. There's no follow-up/justification for that. Sure, everyone is the hero of their own story, but there's no bit of "We're doing this to prevent war" or anything. IIRC even the assholes in the Hobbs and Shaw movie who were going to dissolve most of humanity from the inside out with that virus had the idea making the survivors into super-beings or something else they saw as some kind of net good. Nothing like that here.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

goblin week posted:

There was a lot of silly poo poo in that movie such as when Queenie claimed that Vin Diesel and John Cena have „similar features” or when John Cena made three ziplines across Edinburgh

e: or the samson moment

Speaking of features, apparently once their younger selves grew up and got some money, they both got rear end-loads of plastic surgery to be able to look like Vin Diesel and John Cena.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

well obviously the electromagnet imparted a charge into the metal and then the switch reversed the polarity. It's just science.

Cool. Well, when FF10 brings in reversible flashlights that can emit darkness I don't want to hear anyone whining about science.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shoehead posted:

Woah Mr Nobody seems like a real fuckin jerk

No, he really doesn't - which is kind of hilarious to me. I mean, let's look at what he's done over the past three movies (including this one).

Saved Dom's life in Dom's initial confrontation with Deckard Shaw.
Provided massive resources and backing to the team in their quest to rescue Ramsey.
(Presumably) Smoothed things over when the team broke part of Dubai.
(Presumably )Smoothed things over when the team fought a war in Los Angeles.

Got Deckard Shaw and Luke Hobbs freed from prison and somehow not wanted by the police after they basically caused a riot during their escape.
Again provided massive resources and backing to the team.
Got Hobbs and Deckard Shaw pardoned.
Kept Dom from going to prison for the stuff he did for Cipher.
(Presumably) got Owen Shaw pardoned as well.

And in F9 we learn that in addition to the above

He saved Han's life and helped him fake his death.

Mr. Nobody is basically Spy Santa Claus.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Heavy Metal posted:

This reminds me, just rewatched the first one, still a classic. I find it funny how "The Trucker with a shotgun" who they face in the climax is by far the most formidable foe they've ever faced. And he got away too.

When they were foreshadowing a bit with "these truckers are gonna take matters into their own hands!", I didn't take it seriously. Turns out a trucker with a shotgun is not something they were ready for that day. Maybe an homage to Easy Rider in a roundabout way.

It'll turn out that the super-duper-secret-mastermind was actually "Trucker with a shotgun" all along.

Shoehead posted:

Maybe, it seems like him helping out leads to further problems down the road. Plus before him it was all drug tunnels and dvd players and... a bank vault and now its double secret murders and mother base from MGSV

Well, the only people that don't have some version of "further problems down the road" are the ones that are already dead. Mr. Nobody helping out kept them from being already dead. Further problems down the road isn't a bad price to pay when you consider the alternative.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I am majorly late to the party on this series. I have only seen 1, 8 and 9 and Hobbes and Shaw. Are all the other ones worth a watch?

I'm a pretty uncritical viewer, but I enjoyed 5, 6 and 7. I will say that as of now I have yet to see 1, 2, 3 or 4.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

checkplease posted:

This new one was a lot of fun and a good reason to get back into movie theaters. Peak FF is still 5,6,7.
The Dom/Jacob story was decent enough and it did seem that Jacob never really wanted to kill Dom. There is an aspect of cartoon logic always. but they are want to "tie up" the captured heroes vs execution you might see in a more "realistic" movie.

He didn't. It was clear to me that Jakob's whole thing was to prove that despite being unjustly banished from the family, he was the better Toretto. Jakob can't shove that in Dom's face if Dom is dead

checkplease posted:

I kind of feel like fast 1 is rectonned out at this point. Like yeah Brian meeting Dom was important, but would this Dom really have been robbing trucks for DVD/VHS players? Imagine what Jakob would have been doing at this same point in time.

Some kind of military/espionage training?

FF1 still works from the idea that Dom has no father (dead) no brother (kicked out by Dom) no chance at a legitimate racing career (he was in prison for attacking that other racer) and a younger sister to support. It's only after Dom meets Brian (and eventually effectively gains a best friend/brother again) before he gets more ambitious in FF4 and following.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

checkplease posted:

I thought the magnets were fun. It was something new for the franchise, differed a bit from cars ramming or harpooning each other. But I would not want to see them in the next film, even though that would make the most sense for the characters in that film world.

Can we all agree that gear shifting the rocket car in space was definitely a great choice though.

Presumably those were "space gears" added to the space car for use in space.

Next movie they destroy a Death Star. In space. In cars.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Asteroid Alert posted:

I had goosebumps and actual emotion during Han's return scene.

He's the best character in the series. Give him a spinoff.

Gal Gadot comes back as Gisele - and reveals that she was secretly Wonder Woman (and/or her character from Wreck-it Ralph 2) the whole time.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

Forget retconning han's death any more, retcon the heist in the first one and it turns out those combo dvd/vcrs are actually some sort of secret superweapon. We need to remember that 'trucker with a gun' is actually the teams greatest enemy.

"Trucker with a gun" will turn out to be Cypher's father.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Tunicate posted:

Nah Mr. Nobody is Cypher's dad.

Mr. Nobody was "trucker with a gun" who was also getting those DVD players from the crew for... reasons.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

well why not posted:

Who'd like to take a turn at guessing which of the F&F movies Kurt Russel has watched?

I'll say that he's watched this one and only this one.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mandrel posted:

lmao Vin is such a lame goober but I love him

honestly good riddance to the rock

Fs 5, 6 and 7 were probably the best movies in the franchise and they all had Johnson in them. 8 fell down a bit but that was likely more due to the loss of Paul Walker than to the presence of the the Rock.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, it was just a shift in director. It took 4 movies for Lin to learn that perfect balance between absurdity and sincerity that makes the movies work. James Wan had something very similar and Gray never quite found the sweet spot. Paul Walker, despite by all accounts being a nice guy, was not the thing holding FnF together.

I don't know. I could see the idea of Walker being the nice guy that got the egos of Diesel and Johnson to get along being something that held FnF together.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Payndz posted:

Back To The Future 2 it - one of their many, many enemies goes back in time to sabotage the VCR theft and erase the Fastverse from existence, and the entire gang is greenscreened into the background of shots from the first movie (with lots of reverse angles of youthful body doubles and deepfakes) as they try to repair history.

Seriously, though, over a third of a billion dollars budget for the goofy car-based action movie? :wtc:

That plot except they're inserted into this movie which was written by Roger Corman.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MokBa posted:

I had never seen a single Fast movie until like a year ago, and I watched them in order. There’s something beautiful about watching the series evolve from Point Break but Cars to Superheroes but Cars in such a short period of time. I binged them all like a TV show, just one to the next. I think it’s the best way to watch them, but otherwise I’d probably say 1, 4, 5, and 7 which tells a pretty full arc for the two mains.

I mostly agree but I think it's more 1, 4, 5, 6 and 7. You really need 6 in there to take them from "talented auto-based lovable criminals" to "super spies with cars."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lobok posted:

If you're going to do 1, 4, 5, 6, and 7 you might as well throw 2 in there and get the whole Brian hexology.

You could. I just think 6 is critical to the Brian/Dom relationship because of the undercover prison part. That's Brian risking a fate that Dom would likely consider worse than death (trapped for the rest of his life in a cage) for the sake of Dom's love for Letty.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Tunicate posted:

I assume the series is gonna end with the reveal that Cipher is Mr. Nobody's daughter, because family.

It ends with a giant super-rooftop party featuring every character who has ever had speaking lines, including the dead ones because Dominic Torreto has become the Car Jesus and saved us all from the eternal damnation of, I dunno, riding a bus or subway. Except for Brian because Paul Walker is dead and Hobbs because gently caress your Black Adam rear end Dwayne Johnson this MY FRANCHISE ALWAYS AND FOREVER!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

the escape goat posted:

lol at every family photo being stills from past movies

Momoa’s character was an absolute delight, everything with Vin was a snooze fest (how can such sick action set pieces be boring?! what a charisma vacuum) and booo at Gisele being back. Han’s return shoulda been the only resurrection in the series.

was hoping the son would’ve stayed kidnapped til part 2 but eh, can’t win ‘em all.

Momoa was clearly having too much fun in this movie. Agreed on the kidnapping ending too soon. Dom should rescue him and then learn that "Cool Uncle Dante taught me to deal drugs!"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Clear_Blue posted:

The Fast movies always border on (and sometimes cross) the line of being either stupid, mindless and fun, or just stupid and mindless.
To me, Fast 8 and 9 were only stupid and mindless, but Fast X was also fun. By no means does it top Fast 5 and 6, the best in the series.

I admit that I did kind of like the "cult with cars bit. I do wish the series would just bite the bullet and say that Paul Walker's character died peacefully in his sleep or something.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The MSJ posted:

Amazingly some people still don't understand this.

I'm looking forward to Fast XXX where 96 year old Vin Diesel has to outrace space ships on his Rascal.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

checkplease posted:

The Rock is apparently hyping up the return of Hobbes. Never should have walked from family.

For all the Twitter drama, Johnson "walked away from the family" for one movie, and still made assloads of bank doing other movies. He probably got a bucket of money for showing up in X and saying one line.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CornHolio posted:

Saw this. Was pretty let down. I loved 5-7 and I think that's when the series was at it's best. 8 was alright, 9 was completely forgettable honestly. I watched it, I know I watched it, I completely forgot it. Like, completely. I forgot that John Cena was in it. I forgot that Alana died, apparently. This series is burdened by its own canon. There are too many characters, too many switching sides, too many coming back from the dead, to keep track of them all. I couldn't figure out why Hobbes wasn't in it. Even while watching the movie I couldn't figure out why characters were fighting (first Han and Jason Statham, then the two girls).

The effects and action sequences were alright. I'm OK suspending my disbelief in physics for a time, but things have become so over the top that it's just silly now. Dom's car, whatever he's driving at the time, has the thickest plot armor of anything in the conceivable universe. They should make aeroplane black boxes out of his car.

Jason Mamoa's character was just out of place and way overacted. I hated every minute he was on screen. He's in all places, at all times, except of course in every movie prior to this one. He was elsewhere... plotting... apparently.

Since they went to space in the last one I was hoping they would take it further and have to go to either the moon or Mars in this one, maybe racing buggies or something. Instead they put a brake on the ridiculousness of the plot but sped forward with the ridiculousness of the characters and individual sequences, if that makes sense, and I think I'm glad this is the end of the franchise. I used to love it but it's collapsing in on itself.

I Floved Mamoa's character in this. Other movies look at him and his physique and make him this brooding big guy hero type. This one lets him be a metrosexual sociopath and he's clearly loving every second of it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ravenfood posted:

Han and Jason Statham fight because the last time Statham saw Han, he had just "killed" him. So when Han shows up on Statham's door, Statham assumes Han is there to kill him and so Statham attacks Han first. He basically says this outright right before he pulls Han back into his gym thing.

F&F movies tend to drop every two years. That's long enough in between each that a re-watch of the previous movies (or at least a reread of their Wikipedia plot summaries) before watching the next one is probably a good idea.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

trevorreznik posted:

He was the inverse of Statham in 7 and I loved both characters in their omniscient and omnipotent methods, but played completely opposite. The movie just got buried under it's own weight of too many people getting too many scenes. Good riddance to Jacob in one of the most ridiculous things ever , but he isn't dead anyways

Cut out 2/3rds of vin going through the motions and the entire London detour and you probably have a good movie.

Eventually the "Family" is going to need to rent a stadium for their Bar-B-Qs because they'll be as large as the Avengers side in the massive battle in Endgame. And we'll see that when they come together to battle their final enemy - CGI Kaiju Decepticon Paul Walker.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Riven posted:

The scene where he’s painting his nails with the two guys he kidnapped went a little far.

He's actually painting their toenails. Well, their corpses' toenails. So... even further than too far, I guess.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 16, 2023

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Riven posted:

Yeah I was trying to avoid that spoiler with my phrasing.

Sorry, fixed it to put spoilers in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The MSJ posted:

Maybe he and Elena will appear in the final movie and kill Dante.

Nah, not the final movie. They'll show up as a couple who are undead cyborgs here to reclaim Little Brian from Dom and Letty with their new boss, Brian who will be played by an AI chatbot puppeting the corpse of Paul Walker.