Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

drat, Scott Caan is a tiny, tiny man if he's shorter than Elijah Wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of older movies, an interview with Justin Lin from 2009 is going around about Tokyo Drift where he talks about how Universal hired a guy who's job was to get arrested instead of Lin if the cops showed up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A prequel series with Letty and Dom where Dom is like 15 years older than Letty and its super creepy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://deadline.com/2020/10/fast-and-furious-franchise-ending-two-more-films-justin-lin-director-universal-vin-dieseli-1234600644/

Just two more movies with Justin Lin back to direct them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thought it was kind of weird how now everything that happens to the Family is because of Mr Nobody behind the scenes. Also thought it was funny how Jakob didn't even have to wait until the sequel to get redeemed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also apparently Dom's dad got a deal on those crosses.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Everyone posted:

Also, was Erik Magnus just sneaking and teleporting just out of frame? Because magnets don't actually work like that.

Tej had a line about how he has no idea where the bad guys got the magnets and that they're more powerful than any civilian or military magnets should be but it is never followed up on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

duz posted:

They reversed the magnet, that's why the dial went blue instead of red.

Which again is not how magnets work.

It definitely felt like the movie was made of parts where they didn't actually care how they actually connected.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jerkface posted:

John Cena looks like Michael Rooker's son in the movie

Cena looks like someone took a normal person and scaled them up like .5.

Any scene where he physically interacts with another person just looks goofy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

At this point in the series, Lucas Black should be in his early 20s right? Lmao

Its definitely a weird situation where it hasn't actually been 15 years since Tokyo Drift's events but we know some indeterminate amount of time has passed. Little Brian looks around 3 so it has been at least that long since F8. The actress playing Elle (the girl Han has been protecting) is 19 but would have been about 17 when filming and her character is probably supposed to be younger than that which kind of matches up with her timeline since she was rescued by Han when she was 11.

Which makes it most like 4 years since Tokyo Drift, maybe 5 on the outside.

So, yeah, his character is a rough early 20s.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/dwayne-johnson-emily-blunt-jungle-cruise-1234984896/
Interview with Johnson about Jungle Cruise but has a reply to Vin Diesel's remarks.

quote:

When asked about Diesel’s comments, Johnson says, “I laughed and I laughed hard. I think everyone had a laugh at that. And I’ll leave it at that. And that I’ve wished them well. I wish them well on Fast 9. And I wish them the best of luck on Fast 10 and Fast 11 and the rest of the Fast & Furious movies they do that will be without me.”

Also kind of sounds like no more Hobbs and Shaw?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

I just hope they let him be funny. After seeing Suicide Squad I'm annoyed they didn't do anything other than have him be angry bad guy. He was funny as poo poo in Suicide Squad.

Yeah, Cena is good when he's doing comedy as he's able to say the stupidest things with complete earnestness.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Heavy Metal posted:

Let's not forget about part 11! That's gonna be darn good. Also, that sort of ties it with Jason of Friday the 13th fame, though Freddy vs Jason would bring him to 12. Though Hobbs and Shaw could technically add to the count.

I thought that they had previously announced 10 would be the last one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If he did come back I would expect it to be for a monster payday because Vin needs the Rock, the Rock doesn't need Vin.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

F10's release date was shifted a month from April 7th, 2023 to May 19th, 2023.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1516828299607035915

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't there something recently about Vin pushing back on a script that didn't include Mia? Which, come on, she really shouldn't be appearing any more.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ilmucche posted:

I haven't seen 9

2 is great because it's a bromance redemption movie that really stars the cars. Peak tuner car stuff as opposed to the supercars and superhero type stuff that came later.

9 completely misuses Cena having him play the villain completely straight when he's a much better comedic actor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume the main criteria they were looking for in a director was "available" since they were losing so much money from starting production and then shutting down.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/justin-lin-fast-10-breaking-point-vin-diesel-1235139195/
Hollywood Reporter article on how Lin quitting came to be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As painful as it would have been they should have just killed off Brian. Because as is they now have to keep writing ways around why he isn't helping out. Maybe if they had kept Mia out of the picture it would have worked but they just had to bring her back and so now there's this awkward situation where she's showing up but he isn't.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rita Moreno has been cast as Grandma Toretto because that's exactly what the franchise needs, more characters. They barely have time for any of their current cast.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

5 and 6 are definitely the highlights of the franchise. 7 has Paul Walker's death hanging over it and 8-9 have kind of lost the plot focusing way too much on Dominic Toretto - Super God.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mia coming back has definitely screwed up their write off of Brian. Because there's no circumstance where she would show up but he wouldn't. IIRC there was a rumor that they were going to try and deep fake Paul Walker back but I don't think that ever actually happened.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently the Japanese name for Fast X is "Wild Speed: Fire Boost"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/SinacoLad/status/1627832921880150016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not sure where they're getting the info but I've seen a couple articles claim that Fast X kills Hobbs but does it off screen. Which is getting into very petty territory.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Momoa and Cena are the only ones who act like they understand that the FF series is supposed to be kind of goofy. The hero worship of Dom is even worse in this one, especially all the extremely stupid things Dom is able to do to save people.

One thing that's funny is how they clearly had to shoot around not having Vin and Alan Ritchson next to each other since Ritchson is loving huge both in mass and just general height.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It would be very funny if the ballooning costs and production issues made it so that this is the last one and so it ends with bad guy wins, everyone is dead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You can really tell this was a troubled production because there are a ton of rough edges. Scott Eastwood just kind of vanishes partway through and just isn't mentioned again while Brie Larson's character just does everything he would have done. The scene where they introduce Alan Ritchson's Ames is just bizarrely shot and recaps the franchise for some reason? Rita Moreno also feels like someone who was cast but they couldn't figure out what to do with her so she just shows up for one scene, says absolutely nothing of importance and then is never mentioned again.

Also once again the way they wrote out Brian is just an albatross around the franchise's neck.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Scott Eastwood thing was weird because he doesn't even get written out, he just falls out of a car and is only mentioned off hand once after.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ritchson is actually the lead on Amazon's series adaptation of Jack Reacher. Where his hugeness definitely comes into play.

Also I know movies don't care about henchmen but it was still kind of awkward how quickly the Family went kill crazy on Agency troops. Like they were only following orders trying to take down who they thought were terrorists.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have to imagine that sometime before the end we're getting deepfake Paul Walker. Maybe not a full lead again but I could see him swooping in to save the day while never getting out of his car.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.polygon.com/23736442/dominic-toretto-latino-hispanic-identity-ethnicity
An article about Dom's shifting ethnicity and how the last couple of movies have made him kind of pan-Latino.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's very funny to think about how the first movie ends in the epic car jump that then proceeds to completely wreck the car and compare it to what Dom does with his car in X.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It makes sense to retcon Han's death since nobody was happy about it and he's generally a good character. Bringing back Giselle is dumb because it pushes things too far for a character that nobody really cared about in the first place.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER, they're talking about how F11 will have a lower budget and be a lower stakes story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dom wakes up and discovers that everything after the first movie was just a coma dream after he crashed his car at the end of FF1.

Although really I don't know how they walk things back after the last movie ending with Dom driving down an exploding dam.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I thought vin got me two’ed.

muscles like this! posted:

So, FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER, they're talking about how F11 will have a lower budget and be a lower stakes story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

checkplease posted:

I don’t see this scaled back budget as replacing Vin… but maybe? Though at that point just do a spin off of a new crew stealing gpus or something.

I don't think they're getting rid of him since the series is still making money but they are going to be tighter with the purse strings and definitely less accommodating to Vin's whims.