Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This was pretty bad even by Fast & Furious standards. They would really benefit from incorporating something else into the Avengers Meets Bollywood formula, which was still fun 2-3 movies ago but is now beyond rote. I think some of what they captured involves 7 being one of the weirdest blockbusters ever made just from the circumstances, but we've seen. everything. here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I am majorly late to the party on this series. I have only seen 1, 8 and 9 and Hobbes and Shaw. Are all the other ones worth a watch?

The first three or so are pretty bad movies just aping the typical style of "boys with cars" movies from the 2000's. Around 4 they start getting weirder. 5-7 are the high points of the franchise so far. 7 is outright bizarre.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

well why not posted:

Who'd like to take a turn at guessing which of the F&F movies Kurt Russel has watched?

Kurt Russell was in roughly two scenes of this movie and one was something he could have easily recorded on the toilet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This got me watching Fast Five again and it's impressive how much better a movie it is than F9. F9 is just 5 run through a copy machine several times. It also helps that the Rock is just really good in it and it doesn't take much work to make the Rock seem cool. John Cena is never cool in F9. The Rock does more acting with his eyes than Cena can do with anything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The CGI in F9 is in general laughably bad. At one point in the jungle when they are talking next to where the cars went off the cliff, they would have been better off using a matte painting.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It's easy to memory hole 8, but there are at least 2 scenes meaner than that (which is at least fitting for a villain and gives you rat cam, name me another film with enough balls for a rat cam).

1) Offing Dom's baby mom in front of him for no reason except Dom didn't do it her way.

2) Dom making out with Cypher in front of Letty TO SHOW HES BAD.

8 is so loving awful and mean and stupid. The rat torture might as well be light comedy compared to that stuff. Guy gets out with a few scratches.

I took the movie for what it was presenting itself as, a tacky WWE storyline.

At this point I can't wait for Charlize to get into a fist-fight with Vin Diesel to decide who will get the next infinity stone and decide the final fate of the furious.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

All told, the new version of F9 doesn’t add all that much.

Glad this took three paragraphs.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

For one thing, Fast 9 only made about 700 million, a major decline from Fate of the Furious. Sure, everyone understands that the pandemic was a factor but I'm sure there are concerns within the studio that the franchise has lost some of it's bankability. And if you're worried about that you probably are going to also be worried when you see the budget ballooning to over 300 million.

Then there's the the way the franchise is being described as pretty crucial to Universal's overall financial bottom line these days, and so there's an opportunity cost involved if you put out a Fast & Furious movie and it doesn't completely wreck the box office and break records. Universal is counting on it to basically carry them financially for that entire calendar year and anything less than that is going to be a disappointment, so a $300 million budget makes that situation even more dicey.

The movies have been getting worse and worse and suffer without the Rock injecting actual charisma.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Rita Moreno has been cast as Grandma Toretto because that's exactly what the franchise needs, more characters. They barely have time for any of their current cast.

Rita Moreno is cool though, and since she's like 91 she'll be in the movie for all of 20 seconds

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

6 is the high water mark of the franchise and 7 is a historical curiosity. Most of the rest are pretty bad but pay for a lot of swimming pools for actors who often would otherwise be marginalized by the racist studio system.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Snyder-era DCU lineup is being scrapped for the James Gunn refresh so I imagine we'll see more of this type of thing. Also Gal will go from having like three lines per movie to being a featured player.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This is very rough, but you gotta start somewhere

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

UnknownMercenary posted:

Was it 6 or 7 that had Dom catching Letty in mid air? Because that felt like the peak of "superheroes with cars."

They do that spot 2-3 times per movie now.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Almost everyone visibly a little too old to be in movies like this anymore. Kevin Costneritis.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

High Warlord Zog posted:

I wonder if the recent Fast movies, their difficult to work with producer/star, and their ballooning budgets have soured Universal on films of that scale. They seem to be pivoting - especially with the deal they've cut with James Wan and Blumhouse - to 10-20 million dollar movies that they think can bring in a couple of hundred million in return.

Cheap-to-produce horror that brings in 20+ times its budget has been a mainstay in film forever, as have stars doing diva behavior on the set of giant pictures.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

At this point I take Tyrese never going away as an ongoing anti-humor thing, but it's also OK if not every movie is for me

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GI Joe 1 is a guilty pleasure of mine, 2 is just reshoot hell, and also, if your career was going anywhere or had anything to lose, you wanted nothing to do with it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fast came up entirely during that period where most directors stopped caring about their scores and took the cinematic wallpaper approach popular to MCU.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

It's very funny to think about how the first movie ends in the epic car jump that then proceeds to completely wreck the car and compare it to what Dom does with his car in X.

There's like two Epic Car Jumps in 9 alone that are basically the same CG with different actors, which elicited a polite chuckle from the audience I was with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

the escape goat posted:

I wanna know how much Dodge has paid for product placement since those Chargers the crew uses seem invincible in the group chase scenes (and especially the safe heist in 5)

If it's like video game contracts, they may not be able to portray the car as destroyed at all.