Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Honest Thief posted:

lol gently caress this franchise Cena is doms brother, who is also a superman james bond, younger brother to the guy who's always been about family, they brought han back to further redeem stathams character and more cg car stunts?

I thought on this more and it's gonna turn out to be something like Helen Mirren saved Han and in her conversation with Dom she says something like "sometimes our family err and sometimes it's our fault because we caused it but they're still family so we still try to look out for them and fix their mistakes." And this of course will provide Dom with some crucial insight and motivational change going into act 3 which may or may not lay the ground for John Cena joining the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Not sure where I stand on this yet. There was a lot to like, but a few parts just felt off. Was there this much gunfire in the last movie? Or five and six? If there was, then there was something about how it was presented in this movie that threw the tempo off. Like the guns were given prominence over the cars. Another point where the tempo felt off was with Ramsey driving the truck. The cutting between the driving and the closeups on her for the one liners didn’t seem to work.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

If you'll grant that I'm not completely wrong about F9 not working, what is it that makes this scene work but the F9 stuff not? Maybe it's because F5 is still more car-centred. The Brazil scene has them pointedly isolated from their cars, underlining that they're out of their element. Hell, at the start, they're even trapped in someone else's car. In F9, on the other hand, there seem to be points where the guns are prioritized over cars. Roman going Rambo in the opening scene is one such point, but another that really stands out is Han being introduced via sniper rifle. Like, that just felt off to me.

The movie even kind of foregrounds this. At the start of the movie, with Dom working on his car, when the other car arrives unannounced he and Letty abandon the car and grab guns. Something that gets repeated after this is that "this is not them." And it's not! They abandoned their cars for guns. Or when Jacob says that the "spy game" world or whatever isn't for them. I wanna say he's right.

Sean and Twinkie and Earl are such a counterpoint to all this. They're still doing goofy poo poo with cars, dreaming about what can be accomplished with automotives. Through them, Tej and Roman defeat the spy satellite superweapon with an old car and some duct tape.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Is this the thread we have for Fast X? Because Jason Momoa was about as great as expected while the rest of the movie didn't have a ton going for it (I guess also as expected).

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Does Leti even really know who Gisele is?

I hadn't thought about it but yeah: Letty comes back in 6, which Gisele dies at the end of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Finally saw this. As expected even dumber than every movie before it.

The only redeeming thing was Jason Momoa hamming it up. And I guess with Diesel apparently being pissed about it (i.e. Momoa stealing the limelight), there's probably something going to be done about that in the sequel.

Is Vin Diesel actually upset? I hadn't heard that but also

checkplease posted:

Alien threats is the next evolution. Riddick tie in makes sense.

Thinking on it some, I think I’m mixed on Mamoa in this one. There was probably a bit too much Dante. Sometimes he’s wild and whacky evil in a fun way like the street race, but other times he goes a bit far with like “you hit me with a helicopter, ouch!” And such. The films usually take themselves seriously even in their ridiculous stunts and plots. So this feels a bit marvel quippy.

I mean, it's part of the story that his brain was broken by the stunt at the end of Fast Five and now he's obsessed with the series. To me he seemed less Marvel and more Daffy Duck.