Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

LinYutang posted:

Warren even gave the right answer yesterday: pass a federal bill that protects abortion. Bernie falling back on the Medicare for All stump speech was cringe.

In what world will that bill protect abortion and not get struck down by a SCOTUS that is willing to entirely overturn Roe v. Wade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Alabama is going to prosecute a woman who lost her child after being shot. That is going to make the next debate, whoever mentions it will get the night's reelz.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

OctaMurk posted:

That is how I would interpret that question too, but I can see that he also could have meant 'their health insurance' as in the people at home's health insurance. The question is awkward because as written, "their" should be referring to the candidates

Yeah that is an extremely poorly worded question.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Welp. I take back 90% of the positive impression I got of Harris. Turns out she didn't mean to say those good things!

People were saying she didn't really mean it, and I thought it was too brazen to be a lie. Turns out she just didn't understand the question!

Or else she's just swayed by crowds when she says stuff and her handlers have to go back and tell her what she "really" believes later.

Either way, it's pretty poo poo.

OctaMurk posted:

That is how I would interpret that question too, but I can see that he also could have meant 'their health insurance' as in the people at home's health insurance. The question is awkward because as written, "their" should be referring to the candidates
What? It's obviously referring to the people at home. Why on earth would that be brought up if it wasn't the subject of the question? There's grammatical ambiguity and then there's obvious context.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

It's a lovely question, but I think Kamala is being disingenuous. First off, who "abolishes" their own personal health insurance. That's dumb. Second, if that was what anyone intended the question to mean, why did none of the "Medicare Opt In" candidates raise their hand to that question? Surely if they think Medicare opt in is the path to full coverage and it will convince people to join over time they would want to "abolish" their own insurance to get on that plan.

You also have to consider that Kamala pulled this exact same stunt of declaring she would abolish private insurance during her town hall in January before walking it back the next day when casual viewers weren't paying attention.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
also shes a cop

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/HenryKraemer/status/1144467907193106433

Biden's numbers might still hold into next week, but it would be too depressing to think about

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Harris' entire gimmick these last couple years is to say something vaguely appealing to the bastard amalgam of center and left that exist in this country and immediately walk it back, to the extent that it almost seems pathological, and I wouldn't be surprised to see her do the exact same thing with her performance against Biden.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Biden's numbers might still hold into next week, but it would be too depressing to think about

God drat Joe, all you had to do was say sorry and you woulda gotten a pass. Watching his death by hubris is going to be a treat.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Imagine this kind of campaign actually making it out of the primary. Just think about what would happen in the general.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Office Pig posted:

and I wouldn't be surprised to see her do the exact same thing with her performance against Biden.

At this point, would it even matter? She stuck the knife in but seems like he's doing more damage trying to pull it out.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

LinYutang posted:

Warren even gave the right answer yesterday: pass a federal bill that protects abortion. Bernie falling back on the Medicare for All stump speech was cringe.

wouldn't a federal bill be struck down by a court that has already struck down roe v wade
I mean that's the whole point of the question, you can't just say "I'LL MAKE A BILL BEEP BOOP" cause the court will strike it down, the answer is in fiddling with the court itself either by packing or by other means

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Eiba posted:

Welp. I take back 90% of the positive impression I got of Harris. Turns out she didn't mean to say those good things!

People were saying she didn't really mean it, and I thought it was too brazen to be a lie. Turns out she just didn't understand the question!

Or else she's just swayed by crowds when she says stuff and her handlers have to go back and tell her what she "really" believes later.

Either way, it's pretty poo poo.

This is why sad stories and rhetoric mean jack poo poo. All that matters is your record and your ties. Bernie has that. Nobody else does. Period.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

kamala is a snake, it literally doesn't matter what she says or endorses, she'll walk it all back or just ignore it if she gets into power

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Skippy McPants posted:

God drat Joe, all you had to do was say sorry and you woulda gotten a pass. Watching his death by hubris is going to be a treat.

He seems to be imitating Trump’s strategy of being an unapologetic rear end in a top hat and getting offended when someone expects him to do better. Turns out Democrat’s have different expectations than Republicans.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/max_read/status/1144471612466405378

:pray:

Only she can beat Trump

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Whole lot of Yaassing for a Dungeons & Dragons thread

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jurgan posted:

He seems to be imitating Trump’s strategy of being an unapologetic rear end in a top hat and getting offended when someone expects him to do better. Turns out Democrat’s have different expectations than Republicans.

And also an ounce of shame.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Office Pig posted:

Harris' entire gimmick these last couple years is to say something vaguely appealing to the bastard amalgam of center and left that exist in this country and immediately walk it back, to the extent that it almost seems pathological, and I wouldn't be surprised to see her do the exact same thing with her performance against Biden.

You should have heard her campaign announcement speech, it sounded like she was trying to beat Bernie from the left, lol

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

If you have federal medicare for all then as long as striking down Roe just says states can outlaw abortion or not, rather than no abortions, couldn't federal medicare just pay for transportation to the nearest legal state for anyone who wants an abortion? Woefully inefficient and certainly a burden, of course, but not nothing.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

STAC Goat posted:

Buttigieg looked real bad when half the stuff he said was "I failed as a mayor and my city is a mess". How he handled the shooting was going to make or break him and I think it hurt him bad tonight.

Yeah, while I like the honesty of admitting that he hosed up, I wonder if he ever said this in South Bend, where, y'know, he actually hosed up and left it a mess. I haven't been following the coverage too closely, but from what I've seen, a lot of people there aren't too happy that he's been more focused on his campaign that on his city.

I commented that he was saved by Harris destroying Biden in a FB political group I'm in, and several people defended him, saying that he actually did really well, so now I'm honestly not sure if we were watching the same debate.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Eiba posted:

she did the same thing after a cnn town hall back in january

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/29/politics/kamala-harris-medicare-for-all-eliminate-private-insurers-backlash/index.html

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Lycus posted:

I really hate that Bernie didn't give a real answer to "If Vermont couldn't get a single payer system started, how would the federal government?" There are good answers to that.

"Economics of scale work like this you doofus..." would've been a nice one.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

dirty lousy tramp posted:

wouldn't a federal bill be struck down by a court that has already struck down roe v wade
I mean that's the whole point of the question, you can't just say "I'LL MAKE A BILL BEEP BOOP" cause the court will strike it down, the answer is in fiddling with the court itself either by packing or by other means

It might be struck down, but it wouldn't be directly related to the reasoning striking down Roe v Wade. Roe v Wade aknowledged a constitutional right to abortion access (i.e. States / the Federal government can't unnecessarily restrict access because that would be unconstitutional). Since then it's been slowly chipped away to almost nothing, but a law affirming that right would protect abortion access so long as the law is not ruled unconstitutional as unnecessarily restricting the rights of states. There are several approaches that could be taken to make it difficult to rule such a law unconstitutional, but there's always a chance that the 5 assholes will do it anyway.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

That first question to bernie was unbelievably dishonest, but his response was pretty bad too. He should have just said that his plan has people pay less in total, because slightly higher taxes are offset by no premiums or deductibles, and gone on to criticize the premise and framing of the question. Instead he gave his standard stump speech and it was awkward and cringey. It gave the moderator an opportunity to make him look like he was being dishonest by avoiding the question, instead of the question itself being predicated on a lie. On top of that it was the first moment of the debate and a really bad way to start.

Bernie surprised by eclipsing every other candidate on foreign policy and finishing strong, but he needs to be prepared to respond directly and concisely to these types of questions and only deploy his standard stump speech in response to a question if it's actually about corporate control of politics/the economy and/or inequality.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Harris owned this debate. But what skills did she show that would indicate she would be a great president?

This isn’t a knock on Harris, just showing how debates don’t do a great job fleshing out who would be the best president.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

That first question to bernie was unbelievably dishonest, but his response was pretty bad too. He should have just said that his plan has people pay less in total, because slightly higher taxes are offset by no premiums or deductibles, and gone on to criticize the premise and framing of the question. Instead he gave his standard stump speech and it was awkward and cringey. It gave the moderator an opportunity to make him look like he was being dishonest by avoiding the question, instead of the question itself being predicated on a lie. On top of that it was the first moment of the debate and a really bad way to start.

Bernie surprised by eclipsing every other candidate on foreign policy and finishing strong, but he needs to be prepared to respond directly and concisely to these types of questions and only deploy his standard stump speech in response to a question if it's actually about corporate control of politics/the economy and/or inequality.

I think Bernie has always been a little weak on the debate stage, especially when compared to his speeches. Thankfully debates don't matter a whole lot unless you have a night like Biden's and you get brutally murdered three times over. Bernie can usually at least stay on his feet and he doesn't have the sorts of things in his background that lead to a performance like Biden's.

Of course Dem voters are hopeless wastes so I won't be surprised if next week's polls show that Harris gunning Biden down in cold blood actually gained him a couple points in South Carolina.

Edit: Though Harris hasn't stopped twisting the knife

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1144427976609734658

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 28, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bernie needs a boost to get past Biden and hold out against fuckos like Harris, this debate was an opportunity to get that and he whiffed it a bit.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

This was weird because he handled the same question in one of the town halls pretty much perfectly.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

lol forever that you’re going to go to bat for the Beto sex tweet.

The serious answer is who the gently caress cares about some rando sex tweet a year later. It’s the apex of :regd08:

E: seriously it’s like memberberries for twitter nerds or something

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 28, 2019

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Carew posted:

This was weird because he handled the same question in one of the town halls pretty much perfectly.

He said practically the same thing here, but on the re-asking.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Bernie needs a boost to get past Biden and hold out against fuckos like Harris, this debate was an opportunity to get that and he whiffed it a bit.

Bernie should wait to deploy his red shells until the third lap of the course.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cascamike/status/1144448240357707776

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm listening to the debate while I work and I just

Why don't the moderators move to a system where they only turn on microphones for whoever is supposed to be speaking at a time? Everyone is so desperate to talk over each other all the loving time. It's unbearable.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Wait, I thought it was obvious that "M4A means any woman can get an abortion" (or whatever the line was) was a reference to the fact that an abortion is a medical procedure that costs money, and your class can be a hindrance to you getting an abortion.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

It doesn't matter whether it was about dejure or defacto segregation, holy gently caress!!!!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

unwantedplatypus posted:

Wait, I thought it was obvious that "M4A means any woman can get an abortion" (or whatever the line was) was a reference to the fact that an abortion is a medical procedure that costs money, and your class can be a hindrance to you getting an abortion.

Maybe, but the answer was rambled.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/OVB2BLB.mp4

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well how about that, Joe Biden starts self-destructing and the people who stand to gain start sticking in the knives. Who coulda seen that one coming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

I really like the lie about rehabilitation, that thing he replaced with mass incarceration.