Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm probably going to be more chill this expansion and not rush every job to max level as quickly as I did in SB. You just end up spinning your wheels or raid logging that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Crafting should be interesting with the new changes. Looks like they’re trying to put an emphasis on using HQ materials in crafting. We likely won’t see people getting 100% HQ on the highest tier recipes while only using NQ materials.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mordiceius posted:

Crafting should be interesting with the new changes. Looks like they’re trying to put an emphasis on using HQ materials in crafting. We likely won’t see people getting 100% HQ on the highest tier recipes while only using NQ materials.

Sounds like I need to level mining up after I've finished leveling my first combat class so I can get on the omnigatherer moneytrain.

Fishing doesn't count.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

It really depends on what the new actions do.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
What's the point of "preparing" for ShB by having all this stuff ready to get a boost of exp? In the end we're all gonna be in the same place waiting for new content when we finish 5.0, all you're doing is burning through it faster.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Verranicus posted:

What's the point of "preparing" for ShB by having all this stuff ready to get a boost of exp? In the end we're all gonna be in the same place waiting for new content when we finish 5.0, all you're doing is burning through it faster.

Efficiency. Pure efficiency. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgOXitbf1t8

(I do agree that it is a little silly; I have to catch myself constantly when I'm doing unfun things in a game in the name of "efficiency". It's a curse.)

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Danny would be a Vera for sure.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hunt mounts are hell. The Tiger is one of the coolest mounts in the game and it's just behind way too much of a grind.

As for my last day, do my last series of turn ins on my crafters, try and scrounge up what inventory space I can from my retainers, and furiously debate on rdm and msq, or gnb and grinding to 70 first.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

For the things I've been doing at least, I tend to think of it as "well I'm going to fill out these challenge logs anyway I might as well get the exp for it". And I would like to accomplish some specific tasks before my group starts raiding but I'm not gonna stress over it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Last thing I did before logging out for tonight. See you in The First

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
My photography is garbage (it was the first time I used gpose) but I made a little album of the PBC photo meetup on Tuesday. Feel free to play 'Where's Waldo' and find yourself in these if you can.

https://imgur.com/a/RdeDouz

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Magil Zeal posted:

It really depends on what the new actions do.

People love to poopsock content. I think anything beyond getting the job you’re going to use at a decent ilevel is a waste of time unless it’s stuff you’d be doing otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fNgziN2gCk

Are you prepared to Catgirl?

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
Is this the new general FF XIV thread?

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Is this the new general FF XIV thread?

For some reason the old one got closed before the new ShB one was ready.

So this ones just around til Friday.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Is anybody else really struggling with which class to level first? RDM was my main all through SB and I’m the most familiar with it, and it isn’t really changing it looks like. Could definitely do that. Then I have WHM which would let me Holy spam my way to 80 plus have fast queues with real people. MCH looks insanely cool now. All three of my tanks are fun to play.... plus GNB looks cool. And then there is DNC. Which also looks really fun, plus I’d maybe avoid some congestion by having to do 60-70 first?

Someone help I’m not good at decisions.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I usually only play around expansion time but this expansion since I'm not really interested in the new jobs I was thinking of going full bore into gather/crafting which I never touched in ARR/HW/SB. I take it with the big changes coming I probably shouldn't try to get the head start these next to days and just wait on getting those started after I hit 80 on my main job and beat MSQ?

The stuff with Ishgard sounds really cool and Gather/Crafting has always been the one thing stopping me from earnestly doing beast tribes.

I'm excited to try something more chill that I can just throw on a podcast and grind with. It sounds fun!

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

A Real Horse posted:

Is anybody else really struggling with which class to level first? RDM was my main all through SB and I’m the most familiar with it, and it isn’t really changing it looks like. Could definitely do that. Then I have WHM which would let me Holy spam my way to 80 plus have fast queues with real people. MCH looks insanely cool now. All three of my tanks are fun to play.... plus GNB looks cool. And then there is DNC. Which also looks really fun, plus I’d maybe avoid some congestion by having to do 60-70 first?

I'm in a very similar position and gonna stick with RDM because it's all I've played for a year and I'm too lazy to learn/relearn anything else right now.

Queues are rarely an issue even for DPS at xpac launch, if thats your only reason for wanting to go WHM.

After MSQ I'll probly level MCH and try out Dancer.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

A Real Horse posted:

I’ve been BRD main since 2.0 began, DNC looks cool and different enough that I’m going to switch and if I like it enough I’m gonna to continue as that.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

A Real Horse posted:

I'm stuck trying to decide between sticking with SAM or going with RDM or MCH. I also want to check out DNC, but I probably won't make it the first one I level.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Sounds like I need to level mining up after I've finished leveling my first combat class so I can get on the omnigatherer moneytrain.

Fishing doesn't count.

fishing is beautiful and pure you philistine

Ceramics posted:

For some reason the old one got closed before the new ShB one was ready.

So this ones just around til Friday.

chairman had the opportunity to make the last posts in the thread jokes about the number 69. all posters should aspire to such a goal

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
i skipped stormblood so i'm in a good spot to indulge in ff8 nostalgia and pick up gunbreaker and level it entirely with the msq :hellyeah:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

World War Mammories posted:

chairman had the opportunity to make the last posts in the thread jokes about the number 69. all posters should aspire to such a goal

Nice.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Looking forward to Shadowbringers and the new torments I'll inflict on myself.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, what time will servers be up for early access EST? I'm a dumb baby that gets confused by timezones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

So, what time will servers be up for early access EST? I'm a dumb baby that gets confused by timezones.

5 AM.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Excellent, thank you.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My wife and I both wound up with Friday off, and I'm at my leisure tomorrow as well, so we're going to cook up a bunch of fun snacky food ahead of time like empanadas and little tarts, min-quiches, a big pitcher of cucumber lemonade, green gazpacho, etc., so that if the launch is smooth we have stuff on hand and if servers are wonky we can just head out and have a little picnic. This is the first expansion where we're both all the way caught up and we're looking forward to being able to be hooting and hollaring at Alphinaud and co. at the same time.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I wrote a lot of words about Stormblood.

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1squ9d6

Game good. Very excite.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Devdisigdu posted:

The trust party window shown in the french patch note shows off a few things we didn't see in other language versions: https://img.finalfantasyxiv.com/t/a....png?1561532419

71 dungeon is 'Holminster' and Dancer bunny captain Lyna as well as Crystal Exarch are trusts for that dungeon.

e: looks like they fixed it on the patch notes page but didn't remove the image from the image hosting service

I think Crystal Guy is a Black Mage, so is there no tank trust for the first dungeon???

That seems remarkably shortsighted.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ither posted:

I think Crystal Guy is a Black Mage, so is there no tank trust for the first dungeon???

Crystal Guy is almost certainly a tank. They wouldn't have left one out for the first dungeon. He doesn't have the red background of the other DPS, I'm pretty sure he's just unselectable because the person queuing is a tank.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'm so ready. Getting all my errands done today and tomorrow, got food prepped for easy cooking, and I'm all squared away in-game. Parked in Rhalgr's so I can burn Poetics on Scaevan upgrades, then I'll redo action bars and throw items into the Glamour Dresser while I queue for DRs. Probably gonna swing by Gridania to see the new achievement vendor items, maybe get a little head on daily hunts, then it's MSQ time.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ither posted:

Speculation I saw was that he's a special job type that automatically adjusts to whatever your party is lacking.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Anyone else just gonna take their time and do all the sidequests along the way? I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't mainline the MSQ and save sidequests for alt classes because it makes the narratives of the sidequests feel disjointed if you don't do them around when the MSQ takes you to them.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Verranicus posted:

Anyone else just gonna take their time and do all the sidequests along the way? I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't mainline the MSQ and save sidequests for alt classes because it makes the narratives of the sidequests feel disjointed if you don't do them around when the MSQ takes you to them.

I’ve been doing sidequests as they pop up since 2.0 :hai:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Vermain posted:

Speculation I saw was that he's a special job type that automatically adjusts to whatever your party is lacking.

That's possible, given the odd color.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Time to shitpost and show why Chairman locked the other thread. It's SB post mortem time.

Story: Crap. I've posted about it before and I won't rehash that here for the sake of brevity since this is likely going to be long anyway. I have almost no faith that Shadowbringers is going to be good because basically nothing this whole expansion has really been good. The WoD storyline was a low point in hw and an entire expansion about fixing their poo poo planet is not interesting to me. If I had any faith that become the warrior of darkness meant something cooler than, "can get rid of light aether" then I might change my mind.

World design: Reasonably good. I missed being able to go inside buildings, but I think they did a better job of creating zones that had me wondering what exactly went down in these places? Almost nothing as impressive as the big sites in HW or ARR, but HW zones have a lot of empty nothing to them and honestly, forelands and mists are uglier than ala mhigo. I also felt the gear design this expansion was fantastic. I expect Shadowbringers will probably be even better, but I have my reservations about il mheg and kholusia in particular. Gear seen so far looks great though. On the whole, feeling good about this.

Music: Soken rules, the new tracks I've heard rule, no complaints.

Content: Mechanically, these are the best the raids have been. I think the trials were generally pretty meh but still good enough. Dungeons I am less a fan of, but that's because I main samurai and they keep sticking fat monsters in the trash pulls and it makes aiming my cones and lines stupid when they won't stop jostling. Shout out to Skalla in particular for being hellish. HoH was a step up from potd, but I still didn't care about it. The roulette version of Maps made them actually fun to do instead of a tedious slog through trash piles. Eureka is a waste. Going forward, I think the next raids will only be better, especially since I expect they will do a much better job integrating Eden than they did Omega. And I'm a Nier fanboy so I'm all aboard the 24 man. Really super excited.

PvP: Win some lose some. The pvp changes were almost across the board a big improvement, at least in frontlines. I didn't engage with the feast much, because it's not my thing. Astralagos sucks because mobas suck. For shadowbringers, a little worried. I felt TP worked pretty well there, and it looks like we're going back to cooldowns instead. But they upped melee dps range to 5 yalms instead of 3 so who knows, maybe better.

Crafting and gathering: A big step up in Stormblood. I am very much looking forward to the endgame they have planned in Shadowbringers, but the initial patch notes changes are concerning out of context.

Job design: A wash in SB. They didn't really manage to disrupt the meta at all. Some jobs went a fair bit without any real fixes. Definitely better overall than HW though. I think Shadowbringers is probably going to fail to disrupt the meta too much, other than evicting bards for dancers. But job design looks to have cut a lot of crap and fixed a lot of jank. I am nominally pleased with a majority of the changes. Samurai and Gunbreaker in particular look perfect for me and these more than anything are driving my hype levels for Shadowbringers.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Actually Astralagos is good.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I... just don't want to take off Friday and end up spending all of Friday and Saturday grinding PotD and hoping that Raubahn accepts me, only to get accepted at like 8am Sunday morning.

I plan to take off Friday again so I have learned nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

MechaX posted:

I... just don't want to take off Friday and end up spending all of Friday and Saturday grinding PotD and hoping that Raubahn accepts me, only to get accepted at like 8am Sunday morning.

I plan to take off Friday again so I have learned nothing.

They've addressed the Raubahn thing:

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/77f61b7f04a33a5a4cfdf23d8bddba14d1e835b5

Lodestone posted:

■Queues for Instanced Content
For both early access and the official release of the expansion, we are expecting congestion for instanced battle content in order to progress through certain quests. These types of instances will now put you into a queue to enter the instance, while also displaying how many players are currently waiting. Players will be processed in order, so we ask for your patience until the instance is ready.

So even if it's congested as gently caress, you'll be able to see when you're going to get through, rather than just spamming Raubhan/Pipping and hoping.