Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looking over the job guide, I am really excited for the RDM changes. It's the one job I play that wasn't either heavily revamped or totally gutted--instead, it's just expanded a bit and streamlined in a good way (hell yes spells sharing buttons!). I was actually thinking about leveling BLM or SMN in Shadowbringers (once I'm max level on GNB), but I think RDM might stay my main caster.

EDIT: Oh hey, they decreased the cooldown on GNB's Superbolide from the preview build. That's a good move.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFXIV designers: "Healers should do less DPS and have fewer DPS buttons so they can be more about pure healing."

Also FFXIV designers: "Except White Mages."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really happy with how GNB is looking. God I'm so excited to try that job out. Everything about it looks fun as hell. I love its weird mashup of really :black101: skill names like Jugular Rip and Abdomen Tear along with a bunch of astronomy terms like Superbolide, Aurora, and Bow Shock.

Also I'm happy for ASTs that they get Gravity earlier now, speaking of astronomy.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 27, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

So as someone who sat out on Stormblood, how did Red Mages turn out? That was the class I was looking forward to in the hype before I took my last break. I'm probably going to keep on keeping on my Warrior when I get back in game, but I've been thinking about what I'm leveling up second/third and it's kind of a toss up between RDM, SUM, or MCH.

Red Mage is a very simple class with a nice rhythm and excellent utility for progression groups (easy access to insta-cast raise and a decent healing spell). It's also easy to solo with, thanks to that healing spell and its high mobility.

Its main quirks are:
- Dualcast: Every spell you cast that has a cast time makes your next spell instant. This means you're constantly bouncing back and forth between a casted spell and an instant one, which is what gives the job its fun rhythm and its mobility.
- Melee combo: As you cast spells, you build up a secondary set of resources (white and black mana) that you use to execute a powerful melee combo, which finishes off with a big flashy spell.

I like it a lot, and it looks like Shadowbringers is keeping it pretty much intact, just with a few new flashy spells and more fun AoE. That said, if you like a complex rotation, you might find it a little too straightforward.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I'm going to have a really hard time choosing between RDM and SMN when it's time for me to level a caster in Shadowbringers. SMN was my 2.0 main and RDM was my 4.0 main, and while GNB has stolen my heart, both RDM and SMN look like a blast in 5.0 as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The real thing that makes me excited for Gunbreaker is the whole Continuation combo thing, which just looks like such a satisfying "RIP AND TEAR" moment that I just know I'm going to look forward to it every time it's up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gunbreaker loving slaps but I can't wait to get Continuation, because I know it's going to get insanely fun as soon as I do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder how long it will take for dungeon queues to even out and return to normal. I want my instant tank queues :argh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

As soon as they release a new healer class :)

:negative:

chemist when

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

My general impression of the healer changes is that they removed all the illusionary complexity (cooldowns you mostly don't need, multiple DoTs that do all the same things).

This is, therefore, an improvement, but it's also a disappointment to people who wanted them to replace the illusionary complexity with real complexity.

The healer change that stings the most for me is Scholar losing Shadow Flare and Bane. Having one DoT instead of two is whatever, but being unable to spread them and losing Shadow Flare really bums me out. Art of War looks cooler than Miasma II so that's a fine replacement in my book.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm mourning Scholar but White Mage looks pretty sick this expansion so maybe I'll level that when it's healing time.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what's the non-pld main tank now that they've acknowledged the Mt/ot split? drk?

I believe the intention now is that every tank has the tools for either role now. They acknowledged that it's a thing and tried to make tanks more flexible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Haha I looked at the Gunbreaker quest list and the level 80 quest is Gunblades of the Patriots

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Loving that this DDoS is perfectly timed to fall into the one window of time I had to play today. Real quality timing there.

:negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm very torn on which job to level first in ShB between GNB and RDM.

RDM Pros:
- Already level 70, can jump right into ShB.
- Get to use all that tasty MSQ experience to level a DPS job, which will be more of a pain later.
- DPS queues for dungeons are short right now and that won't last forever.
- Updates to the job are pretty neat.

RDM Cons:
- Kinda bored with it right now? Like it's a good job but I played it almost exclusively through Stormblood.
- Wanted to learn a new role.

GNB Pros:
- New role for me, shiny new job.
- Extremely sick animations.
- Presumably near unkillable while doing solo MSQ quests.

GNB Cons:
- Tank queues are nuts so leveling one from 60 will be more of a pain than anticipated, and I never bothered with PotD before so I need to do a bunch of that before I can unlock HoH.
- "Wasting" MSQ experience on a job that will have much faster queues later. Maybe not a real issue if I like the job enough?
- Joining the ranks of newbie GNBs likely making dungeons annoying for people used to tanks who know what they're doing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How did WHM shake out for Shadowbringers? It seems like the least changed of the healing jobs, so I'm curious how it feels these days.

isk posted:

MSQ/Alliance roulettes and Beast Tribes make leveling lv 50+ alts super easy and efficient. Also bear in mind you can leave most sidequests for alts and power thru them once you've unlocked flying in an area.

I'll try MSQ/Alliance roulettes--maybe those will have less of a painful queue than leveling/dungeon roulettes right now. Thanks for the suggestion! That might help instead of slamming my face against PotD.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yeah, having played RDM mainly in the last expac, this is basically more of the same with a few minor hotbar changes.

Yeah, and to be fair, RDM didn't really need much. The things I would've asked for, it got (slightly more involved AoE, hotbar button consolidation). So I have no complaints about the state of RDM right now. It's just that I've played a bunch of it and wouldn't mind a change of pace.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mazed posted:

Real talk: This job is flavorful, intuitive, and strong. I hope it stays that way for a while.

I am absolutely in love with Gunbreaker. I'd hoped it'd be the tank that would finally click with me and I am not disappointed at all. The cartridge + Continuation combo feels so drat good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't suppose there's any way to make the character window in HoH smaller? I want to leave it open so I can use pomanders/magicite, but it's huge and no matter where I put it it's gonna cover something I'd rather be able to see.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So is Dancer as fun as it first seems? I'm already planning what my second job to 80 will be and Dancer seems like a strong candidate.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Question from a new tank:

How do you know when you need to tank swap in a trial/raid? Is it usually a pretty obvious mechanic or is it something that usually requires some foreknowlege of a fight?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks for the tank swap explanations, everyone. It's good to know I won't have to worry about the mechanic until I'm 80 and getting into non-story/non-dungeon stuff, so I can learn tanking basics first.

Unrelated question: if you use a level boost, can you get level 60/70 AF gear? I'm not sure if I'll ever buy a level boost but in case I'm tempted I don't want to use one on a job where I really want those AF sets and might miss out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The expansion hasn't even been out a week and I would already bet :10bux: that the next expansion will give Gunbreaker some sort of finisher that activates after a full Continuation combo. Probably called Lion Heart, since we already have the other three FF8 Renzokuken finishers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Augus posted:

dropping TP bars is maybe the best decision they’ve made since dropping a moon on the world of 1.x
AOE all day everyday baby

Maybe a controversial opinion, but they could probably drop MP for RDM and SMN and it'd be fine. Currently, most jobs don't touch it at all, and while it's important for healers to have a finite resource, the only non-healer jobs that interact with MP in any meaningful way are PLD, DRK, and BLM. So keep MP for them and just drop it from RDM and SMN, who have their own specific resources already anyway (black/white mana and aetherflow, respectively).

I don't usually suggest making things more like WoW but that's one area where I think WoW's approach makes sense. Healers use mana, Arcane Mages use mana, and everyone else either has their own resource or just doesn't bother with a resource at all (including Fire and Frost Mages).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 3, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Astroniomix posted:

SMN and RDM still use MP because they can rez people. If RDM lost MP it would almost certainly lose vercure and verraise.

The MP changes look to me like a deliberate attempt to cut down on combat rezing. Making it a thing the combat jobs can only do once or twice every few minutes instead of dragging 3 other dps through Lakshmi because they die to hand of beauty every, singe, time.

I forgot about that. You could just slap a cooldown on Vercure, Verraise, and SMN Resurrection, though admittedly that'd cute down on flexibility and wouldn't be all that interesting a solution. So maybe keeping MP is for the best.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Could someone tell me about 5.0 White Mage? I'm trying to decide whether to level that or Scholar after Gunbreaker.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I suspect this is going to be a really unpopular opinion, but I feel like Black Mage is... kind of awkward? Specifically, I really don't know what Fire I is doing here anymore. It just feels vestigial to me. Obviously I know what to use it for (refresh Astral Fire when you don't have a Firestarter proc) but that just kind of feels like an unnecessary extra button to me. Plus it makes setting up hotbars for scaling down much more of a pain.

I find myself wishing that Fire IV and Blizzard IV just replaced their rank-I versions while Enochian is active, maybe with a trait that makes Enochian lower Fire III's cast time to 2.5s while active. I dunno, something like that. Just that one change would smooth things out a ton, I think.

Maybe there's some nuance there that I'm missing but that a more experienced BLM player can point out and then I will feel suitably stupid.

Then again, I'm also the guy who despised SB BRD for having way too many plates to keep spinning and procs to keep hitting so it could be that I just have insanely bad opinions. And to be clear, I think BLM is a really cool and fun job on the whole. There are just a couple things that feel really clunky to me and it's hard for me to really reconcile it.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 9, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SettingSun posted:

More post-MSQ spoiler thoughts: I see a lot people running with the idea that the WoL is an Ascian. Is this making some logical leaps or did I miss something? We're definitely getting help from one (certainly the one from the earlier cutscene), but I didn't really come to the conclusion that we are literally one.

So, this sort of depends on how you define "Ascian." We're not an Ascian in the sense that we're tempered by Zodiark, but we are heavily implied to be the 14th council member who helped create Hydaelyn (or, rather, one shard of that Amaurotian's soul, of which Ardbert was another). Fusing with Ardbert brings is closer to our original Amaurotian soul, which also brings us closer to the powers the Ascians have and is why Emet-Selch saw the WoL as a hooded Amaurotian figure briefly. He recognizes that we're becoming "whole" and also recognizes who that soul used to be.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Fire 1 serves a few purposes. Fire 3 has a way higher mana cost and the rotation has pretty specific mana costs.

More to the point the Fire 1 cast interacts with Sharp cast which gives you a free cast of Fire 3 which in turn translates to extra mobility and damage.

I guess I'm more wondering what purpose it serves from a design perspective. Like I wonder what would be lost, fun-wise, if Fire 3 just had a lower MP cost and cast time when you're under Enochian and Fire 1 (along with Firestarter) just went away. I guess it would take away from Sharpcast? I'm not sure.

I get what the purpose of it is as the job currently works, just not necessarily why it was designed the way it is, if that makes sense.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Also to the point, isn't Fire / Blizzard 4's whole gimmick that they don't refresh the astral buff or enochian?

IIRC Blizzard phases don't last long enough for that to matter, you'll be full mana and back to fire before the Astral Ice cooldown comes off, but fire phases you still want to mix a fire one in the mix (and fire 3 if your firestarter proc hits) to keep Astral Fire rolling before you Blizzard 3 back into Astral Ice.

Yeah, I get that, but what I mean is that Fire and Fire 3 serve the same purpose once you're in Astral Fire: to refresh the buff. It's just that there are two spells that do the same thing there, one that we use when we have a proc and one that we use when we don't. What I'm asking is what the purpose of having that extra spell is, from a "how this class feels to play/how it's designed" perspective, that's all. What would be the harm in just lowering Fire 3's MP cost and cast time so it can just fill Fire 1's role and not require two buttons that do basically the same job?

Like I understand how the class works right now, I just think it could work a slightly different way while also saving a couple hotbar buttons and having one fewer "busywork" spell.

I mean, maybe that extra button is just there to introduce an extra way to gently caress up your rotation? Things like accidentally casting Fire out of Umbral Ice and dropping Enochian, or hardcasting Fire III during Astral Fire and wasting time/MP, and having that extra thing to think about is important?

As a side note, does anyone have tips for hotbar setups that make it less awkward to scale down as BLM? Every other caster has more powerful spells that just replace weaker ones, but for BLM, I have a hard time setting up my bars so that it's comfortable to play both pre- and post-Enochian.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 9, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Maguoob posted:

Here is my BLM tip, never do scaled content on BLM. Seriously though, SE needs to not take away abilities when level synced because some jobs just aren’t worth playing due to them not having more complexity than two buttons at low level or all of their QoL stuff being high level.

Yeah, maybe that's the answer. I also have SCH and WHM at 70 so I'll just do all my roulettes on them. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sure it is, it just has nothing to do with blasting things with gigantic amounts of magical power.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

It's a surprisingly coherent narrative thread that works well to give both character development and an overarching theme that ties every beat together.

This post owns and makes a ton of sense.

What I think makes it the most interesting is that you don't even really need to know what the Greek names mean to sort of feel the thematic coherence because each time, they approach the theme from multiple angles. Each theme is reflected in both a character's growth and in the plot, so when the boss is (sometimes) named after the type of love being explored, it's more of a confirmation of what you've already felt was going on than anything.

Shadowbringers is the best-written and best-constructed Final Fantasy story in well over a decade.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't know how people Fantasia their WoL because at this point I'm so attached to my character that I can't even change his hairstyle without feeling like something is wrong.

I envy your power to not be emotionally attached to a specific arrangement of video game pixels that doesn't even look all that special.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The annoying thing is that my dude's hair clips real bad with the Gunbreaker AF coat's collar but I can't bring myself to change it because then he just doesn't look like himself. So I will just embrace the clipping.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

i was super attached to my au ra and was hesitant about the change but honestly i think if hrothgar were available when i made a character i'd have picked one then, so i've been super satisfied

Yeah, I suppose that's one case where I can understand it, if a new race is like "hell yes this is what I've been waiting for all along." That'd probably make your character feel more right, in that case.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

An FYI for people, the sad goony dwarf's quest line gets you the Lali-ho emote and isn't very long, so don't just do his aether current quest!

gently caress yeah, I was wondering where that came from.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the whole, Shadowbringers is maybe the best FF story ever written, but I do think it made one major misstep.

(gigantic MSQ spoilers)

I think bringing up the concept of tempering in the context of Zodiark and Hydaelyn was a mistake, because no matter what, it's either going to take a lot more explaining about what being tempered by them even means, or it undercuts some of the most interesting themes and characters in a really unfortunate way. Take Emet-Selch, for example. During Shadowbringers, we see how much the loss of his home pains him, how badly he wants his people back, and that he actually did make a good faith attempt to move on but just couldn't. While we still absolutely have to stop him, we can come to understand that he's motivated not by greed or just plain formless evil, but by pain and fear and loneliness.

But no, actually he's just tempered by Zodiark. Trying to move on was never going to work because that's not what Zodiark wants. He might think he's motivated by his pain and loneliness, but actually he's just motivated by being Zodiark's puppet.

Is that what the writers intended? I don't know. And it's not how I want to read Emet-Selch, either. I've noticed most discussion of him just avoids addressing what it means to be tempered by Zodiark in the first place, which is probably for the best, because as soon as you have to confront that he says Zodiark tempered him (and Emet-Selch never lies, remember), you have to start wondering what parts of Emet-Selch's actions were his own free will and what parts were just Zodiark tugging at the strings. And that kind of sucks.

Or maybe being tempered by Zodiark is different? Maybe it just gives him power, or maybe it just amplifies those negative feelings without actually taking away his free will? Something like that? But if that's the case (and if it's ever brought up), it might feel arbitrary.

Similarly, I think the story absolutely has to address whether Hydaelyn tempered her summoners, too. There are a lot of ways around this if they wanted to--maybe Hydaelyn, being so powerful, can choose whether or not to temper people, or maybe she did temper her summoners but that went away when they were sundered (unlike the unsundered Ascians), or something else--but I think it's going to have to be addressed directly at some point.

I'm not sure how big of an issue the above is, and maybe it was unavoidable. I do think it has some unfortunate consequences for some of the best parts of the story, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

After thinking it through I'm not sure that the current system really makes sense. They probably should just have had the post-MSQ trusts act exactly like they did during the MSQ (level-adjusted to each dungeon), which is how it works in FFXI, I think.

That makes the most sense to me, yeah. Having them always at the appropriate level for each MSQ dungeon while being unavailable for expert dungeons would let them fill their intended role without discouraging players from using the Duty Finder. As it is now, they're very all-or-nothing post-MSQ. You either stop using them entirely or sink tons of time into leveling then, which doesn't seem intentional.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Honestly I think Emet's complete inability to ever stop his course makes him more tragic. We know he is tempered by Zodiark sure, but the effects of that appear to be different for everyone. We never saw Lahabrea as sad. I don't think we see Elidibus expressing any grief. We definitely haven't seen any evidence of them building a recreation of their home for them to retreat to when scared or otherwise hurt. Emet is driven to want to bring Zodiark back, but trying to recruit the Warrior of Light to find some semblance of kinship after centuries of being alone is all him.

And YMMV sure, but the fact that he's tempered stuck with me in that climax. So many people have expressed that he makes a point and you wish he'd listen to reason. It's not just that he won't. He can't. I think of that when he asks you to remember him and his people. Your WoL smiles, nods, and receives a smile in return. To me that moment feels like acknowledging that he couldn't stop and forgiving him.

We will have to see what role Hydaelyn plays in all this. She is still mysterious. Maybe she tempered Minfilia? Maybe nobody has noticed her effect because she's already been summoned and we don't do anything to steal aether from her? It's something for the patches to tackle after the Scions get home, I think.

This perspective definitely helps a lot. Thanks.

As for Hydaelyn: Minfilia definitely does seem pretty tempered in retrospect. Maybe one of the most important things about passing her power to Ryne is that Ryne has never physically been in Hydaelyn's presence and isn't tempered by her--she's free in a way Minfilia couldn't be.

As for whether the WoL is tempered, I kinda doubt it, but it's hard to be sure. If nothing else, the way the Warriors of Darkness were used by the Ascians probably wouldn't have been possible if they were tempered, and the WoL is in basically the same situation as they were. My guess is that it Hydaelyn tempered her original summoners, that stopped counting once they were all sundered and eventually aged and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

UHD posted:

I preferred the theory that emet-selch is not tempered and neither is anyone blessed by hydaelyn. emet-selch is just using tempering as an excuse for his actions and his unwillingness to let go of his past. he doesn’t have to lie to you in order to believe that. hydaelyn isn’t tempering anyone either because if she was then minifilia’s whole arc, her character development, and everything branching from it makes no sense and is utterly pointless

Regarding Minfilia, if she willingly allowed herself to become tempered, knowing what it meant, I think it still works for her character arc, especially now that she has passed her power to Ryne. But I probably shouldn't assume anything until we know more about how different primal-type summons are when they're as powerful as the Big Two.