Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
drat this is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fawf posted:

Made my first level! Keeping it simple for now, only has a couple goombas

GVQ-TV7-2JF

Promised two, delivered two.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ive played every level posted so far

really enjoyed all the creativity :)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Impermanent posted:

Some of the current popular levels are dang good. I like the fortress one that ends with a Bowser fight that uses switches to right him. Surprisingly low completion rate, tho.

Yeah, that was really fun. As far as the low completion rate, I think its just the fact that there are a ton of like literal kids playing, so something like that is maybe a bit too tough ffor them

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ive played up through It's Incisive Social Commentary! on the list

Thanks Tnega, that made me actually lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've played every level thats on the spreadsheet so far except:

The Kins Origins 20S-5HG-NWG

I think this level code might be wrong?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nep-Nep posted:

I enjoyed it! I like how the level is mostly simple in concept but has a lot going on visually to make it more exciting. That last jump felt a bit nasty but not in a way that I think is bad but more like it taught me something.

The bullet bill jump? I'm having trouble getting through it. What did you do, wait to jump so the level pushes you?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So far, my favorite non goon level is Parallel Universe: NC5-Y8P-DBG

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nep-Nep posted:

Use the shoulder buttons to do a long jump.

oh....duh. I beat it! really fun level, took me a long time though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Macaluso posted:

Interesting. I forgot you could even long jump in 3D World.

Here's the intended way I designed it which is mostly the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMvMIdNBehg

(also it appears in my effort to add some flavor with the bees, I just provided you with a way to completely skip the butt stomping gimmick of most of that section :v:. That was certainly not intended )

Every time I tried I'd just somehow hit the lava, but the long jump worked perfectly. Wonder what I was doing different from you by just doing a regular jump

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

saltyslug posted:

Short and pretty easy level as my first try: 49B-JWQ-KPG

Can you confirm the level ID? not finding this one.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
me: ive played every level on the spreadsheet so far, better check again to see if anyone has added any levels in the past few hours

oh...the level list has tripled lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to make things in levels spawn off screen?
I need an off screen shell to do a thing

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

Spawn it out of sight above or below Mario, shot off by a bill blaster so it drops into the piece where it needs to do something. Placing it on “global ground” will prevent it from despawning. Watch ceave’s latest video for information on that.

Weird, I have a bullet bill with a shell above me but it never fires

Thwomps will fall on me but it never shoots

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, his vid helped me understand

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wrong thread

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I had a really great time streaming tonight, multiple goons came in.

SamFaust had a really great level that everyone should play. Also, please like it because I accidentally Booed it because I'm a clumsy oaf.

Triumvirate's Challenge: 1RX-PRB-FQF

Its a really fun level, and I highly recommend keeping in mind you don't have to beat each bowser in each room!

Question...would anyone mind once a week if I posted my stream when I'm going live? I was thinking of making Friday afternoon a night I definitely stream, though I'm thinking of doing more.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

I'll stream some goon levels later this night, around 9:45-10pm pst at https://twitch.tv/cactusgalactus

ill stop in for a few!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Did you take the level down? Code isn't working for me.

I played, and enjoyed your levels

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My son made this level.
WLY QFH V9G

It's hard, and not particularly good, but I think he'd be happy if he saw some people had played and beat it. Don't even need a like, just please don't boo.

Also piranha plants will kill you instantly at the beginning unless you jump.

I think this would be fun in multiplayer versus where you immediately spawn when you die, so I would ask please tag it that if you feel like it.

You can despawn the Charvargh by going through a door. Also the key coins are a trap, you need to not have a key to finish the level

liked and commented

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SelenicMartian posted:

Going from Easy to Normal in Endless is switching from mostly inoffensive levels with an occasional tricky secret to single-block leaps over bottomless pits while under fire. In 15 lives burned I'm yet to finish a single normal course.

Normal is at least still reasonably fun at least, IMO. Hard and Super Expert levels were pretty much straight garbo as far as what I played.

I know there is a community that really enjoys them, so good on them I guess.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll be streaming viewer levels for like, an hour, maybe a more? Feel free to come watch. I make no promises to beat your level as I'm bad, but I'll definitely try it!

https://www.twitch.tv/saiyanprideparade

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe posted:

I'll be streaming viewer levels for like, an hour, maybe a more? Feel free to come watch. I make no promises to beat your level as I'm bad, but I'll definitely try it!

https://www.twitch.tv/saiyanprideparade

Thanks to everyone who watched! I had I think 14 people at one point. :) It was a lot of fun!!!

I think I will try to make this pretty regular.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I tried one of your levels tonight March of the Ant Hill

Really fun!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite thing about everyones levels are that even if I can't beat them, they are fair, and fun, and usually teach you about whats expected before throwing you in the deep end

excellent job goons

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Someone taught me about https://randomactsofmario.com/

it owns

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lunar detritus posted:

I'm glad everyone seems to like it!

I'm thinking about adding a button to display all the levels with a "seen" button so you can manually mark the ones you've already played. Yea or nay? (I'm worried it'd remove the "randomizer" aspect of it)

Seems like its an optional thing, so ultimately, the people who want pure random can have that, and the people who want to do "seen" can have that

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Okay, my fourth level is the first one that I'm really proud of.

Quicker Than The Sand
T30-M52-QWF

The SMB desert music is fantastic.

Great level. Lots of nice touches. very good looking

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So after my stage Dry Bone's Desert had a 6% winrate with over 100 tries, I figured something might off (it wasn't supposed to be that hard) and I gave it a new pass. The new code for it is:
5YS-J8R-20G

It's a Desert NSMBU level with an emphasis on Seesaws and (you guessed it) Dry Bones, with a good amount of secrets and bonus objectives.
Also if someone could update the entry on the Spreadsheet I had for it with the new codes you would just amazing in so many ways.

Seemed fine to me! I think you did a nice job on it, not sure why this would be just 6% winrate unless you massively changed it up

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

I am attempting to use what the videos and tweets posted here have said about good design level and it is tough but so rewarding.
I have been trying to make my levels as simple as possible while also having little fun things for people to do if they want a longer experience :D

I knew it was smart to bring to switch to work for my lunch break!

dang I should have brought mine too :(

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Artix posted:

This one isn't for the contest but I just finished up so here it is all the same.

Don't look down!
5R9-0HC-QDG

Dr. Fetus posted a level earlier that took inspiration from Tropical Freeze's Bopopolis and I guess we're kind of on the same page because I went for a similar vibe. Lots of bouncing on enemies over bottomless pits, a few saws and blue platforms thrown in for good measure. There's a bonus area at the very end for a 30 coin and 1-up if you're so inclined.

This level rocked

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Macaluso posted:

Finished my Jam level for this week:

Switch Blocks By Starlight

First Clear! Good as hell too.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

But I need likes to feel validated about spending hours on this :saddowns:

if it helps, when I streamed I mentioned your name and that i liked your levels and at least 2 people verified that your levels are indeed very good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm genuinely looking for feedback on this level. It's another project that's taken me a long while to piece together and I think I'm at a place where I'm mostly happy with it.

The challenge? It was to make a level that was fun that featured no enemies. There's only one hazard that can damage you and there are even safety nets littered around if you mess up. There are some cuts you can take which turned it into a pretty tight speedrun course as well if you ask me :shobon:

There's nothing here. Just you and the mountain I've designed
The Climb

(Why yes I did enjoy Celeste why do you ask?)

Definitely a breath of fresh air. Its challenging, but non threatening, kind of like celeste. so good job there.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

American McGay posted:

Originally just had an idea of doing a space schmup style level like Gradius or R--Type and then got distracted building the space ship and putting in secret rooms with added lore. If you like to explore and find secrets there's plenty of that.

Really fun level. You did an excellent job building the space ships. That section with the clown car and putting on the shellmet as a kind of space suit I think was really fun

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Thanks for the help goons, first level is done!

Castle Smashers
YHH-G80-PWG

A standard castle level, but I'm pretty happy with it; there's a few goodies that aren't too hidden away and I think I judged the difficulty right.

Nice job. This is a traditional style level I think and it works

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm genuinely looking for feedback on this level. It's another project that's taken me a long while to piece together and I think I'm at a place where I'm mostly happy with it.

The challenge? It was to make a level that was fun that featured no enemies. There's only one hazard that can damage you and there are even safety nets littered around if you mess up. There are some cuts you can take which turned it into a pretty tight speedrun course as well if you ask me :shobon:

There's nothing here. Just you and the mountain I've designed
The Climb

(Why yes I did enjoy Celeste why do you ask?)

also did you know a celeste dev is making MM2 levels?

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1144809965774704640

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fawf posted:

D'aww, thanks!

Finished my newest stage, it's one big homage to Bubble Bobble (and a touch of Puzzle Bobble)

Bubble Bobble Medley
FTG-56N-VRF

At first I was bummed to not have the Yoshi amiibo costume but the Powerball music wound up being a good approximation of the Bubble Bobble tune so I can't complain.

That boss fight was really imaginative, nice job

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Actually, there are a lot of devs who have maker IDs apparently

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker...tm_medium=web2x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Gourmet Race own