Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Made my first level!

DYS-F6C-GGF

A simple Mario 3 level based around facing down Hammer Bros in various situations. It should be fairly straightforward but hopefully fun to play!

Now time to check out everybody else's levels in here.

(You can view your course ID by going to your Course World, going to your own profile by hitting Y, and then heading over to Uploaded Courses.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Today I learned: Apparently my SMB1 8-3 homage level is, in fact, hard as balls

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, given that the regular 8-3 is also hard as balls, but still

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Is there a good way to open a path only when a certain enemy (or several enemies) die? I had an idea for a battle arena level, but I couldn't think of a good way to handle that part beyond simply dropping a key when a particular enemy goes down. And even with a key, I can only let a door open-- not sure if I can think of a way to have something else happen too.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Drinkfist posted:

I like making the levels but I suck at playing mario. This is a true dilemma.

The fix is obviously to play my new level!

Bombs in the Clouds
KFR-K84-X0H

A light airborne course with lots of floating platforms and flying Bullet Bill launchers. Watch out for the secret area before the checkpoint!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Drinkfist posted:

I am starting to feel that people forgot the fun in some of their levels and are closeted sadists. I tried Kaizo Snakeblock on the list by Pocky In My Pocket and I feel personally attacked. We need to all chill out and remember at least half of the people playing your levels did not in fact kick your dog.

To be honest I can't imagine a level name that would scare me away from a level faster than "Kaizo Snakeblock", so I think this one is on you

Thoughts on June Hills:

* Overall I like it!
* The autoscrolling in the vertical section is pretty aggressive, especially with the Thwomps
* I got a little annoyed that I had to do the easy opening again every time I died in the more challenging middle section
* lol at the checkpoint
* The free 1up mushroom at the end feels out of place
* The ending is a little cruel--- there's an arrow implying the player should do a blind jump, but if they try, they'll wind up landing on some tiny platforms

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

ethanol posted:

If nobody plays your course the first time you upload it, I assume it gets lost and never played? Anyways I'm new to mario maker... tell me if this is medium-hard or just annoying and unfun. I created it last night and it seems nobody made any attempts on it. I know the 2nd area with the falling is a bit rough/boring

1HV-DX9-DLG

I think the "endless queue" algorithm doesn't seed enough new courses in. This means the courses you get are usually pretty good, but on the other hand, your new levels are unlikely to get played. My first stage didn't get played until I posted it here, but once it got a few plays and likes, I've had hundreds of plays coming in.

If you think about it, "nobody played my level, it must be bad" makes no sense, right? If nobody played your level, they won't know if it's good or bad, so the problem must be with Mario Maker's implementation.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Waking up and reading about speedrunning Jungle Crawl makes me happy :v:

Woke up and had this idea for a enemy takedown stage. Can you restore peace to the jungle?
The Wetland Warlords
MSQ - 4PQ - T1H

Alternate title is Mario: First Blood.

This theme is incredible

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Tnega posted:

8000 reviews

Just wanted to say I've been enjoying your level reviews! It's nice to be able to get an eye for what's out there.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Kirios posted:

Alright, I've split my SHMUP idea into two stages. Hopefully this makes it a better palate cleanse for everyone from all the typical Mario levels.

Super Mario Soldier Stage 1 - 3NQ-HPK-NTG

Super Mario Soldier Stage 2 - 5YD-4PW-SXG

Yeah I just played the first level and enjoyed it, but it definitely would have been too long if it had a second section.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I can’t believe there’s literally a Maker Lesson telling the player not to use Kaizo blocks

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Alright, here's the pitch. Everybody likes space. Everybody likes wall jumps. But what if there were wall jumps... in space?

Kick Off Into Space!
FWW-TWM-3TF

The low gravity of space lets you get a lot more air off wall jumps, so I made a level which lets you play around with that. I think it's a bit harder than my previous levels, but it still isn't too hard. Have fun among the stars!

Also people keep tagging my levels "Short and sweet", but I feel like they're pretty normal length... maybe I should make them longer? I like it when levels only take 2-3 minutes to complete though, I think that's the right length for a Mario stage.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Where's the fuckin disco koopa Nintendo

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Man, the quality of courses in Endless Mode is impressively poo poo.

I have a question for level makers: how can you stand to do this? Every time I try to make a level I end up staring at the screen for a while, placing some random blocks in geometric shapes, adding fun noises, then getting overwhelmed and quitting or going to play Course World instead. Is this normal? Am I broken? Is Level Design Anxiety a real thing?

Check out beginner dojo lesson 3, “On Inspiration”

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

One thing I've found with Mario Maker is that sticking to a small group of enemies isn't a bad idea at all, especially because you can use one single enemy in so many different ways thanks to Wings/Parachutes/Pipes etc.

I especially recommend using Hammer Bros, because they’re really easy to defeat and everyone loves fighting them.

More seriously, of course it’s stressful to create a level. For every level I create, I worry that no one will enjoy playing it and that it won’t be fun for people. But really, goons are pretty nice and people will like your course even if it’s mediocre. And even seeing just one or two likes still makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

This is by no means the only way to design a level, but I like to think of each level as a lesson. First I introduce the skill I want the player to learn, like fighting Hammer Bros or wall jumping in low gravity. Then I try to present the same idea in different contexts. The lessons are separated by little breathing room areas. Finally, it’s nice to add extra credit lessons too: challenges advanced students can take on but novices can safely ignore.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Tnega posted:

Even outside of goons, making a mediocre course means that you are probably in the top 20% of levels in terms of quality!

That’s good news for my upcoming stage, “Wall Jump Between Two Snake Blocks While Avoiding Bowser Fire”

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Personally I'm only concerned with player vs snake block

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I made a stage.

Super Hard Snake House - VKR-KDD-MTG

Check it out if you like creative uses for snake blocks, I tried to use them in lots of fun and different ways. The stage turned out extremely hard, though, so I’d recommend skipping it if you aren’t up for a really tricky level.

It’s quite difficult to make Mario go straight up, I think, just because you have low visibility of things above you. I think if you really want a good stage, you’re pretty much limited to obvious patterns (so the player knows what’s coming) or a few enemies that travel vertically, like the SMB3 cannons.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Could we add a difficulty field to the level input spreadsheet? I feel like it would be nice to separate stages of different difficulty. It's going to be a bit vague regardless (since authors are not necessarily going to be great at telling how hard their stage is) but I think it'd still be useful. I labeled my recent level as Kaizo even though it isn't really Kaizo at all (not super compressed, no extremely precise maneuvering required, no troll hidden blocks) because I think people looking for standard levels would be irritated by the difficulty.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

For example, you can force Mario to wall jump on the interior of a snake block by arranging it like this:

code:
#####
#...#
#...#
##.##
##.##
This is a good trick to use if you’re worried not enough players are skipping and booing your stage.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I wish you could make vines that led to sub levels

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

What's the best way to get a Koopa or Buzzy Beetle to immediately start spinning as a shell? I'm trying to create a level like SMW's "Awesome", which has a lot of kicked shells in it, but can't find a good way to do it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Let's see... I did a factory last week so I'm going to so something else. Well whatever I do, there's going to be some BTO in the stage.

You can't do it with a koopa, but you can launch empty buzzy shells and spiny shells from bill blasters.

That’s still a little disappointing, empty beetle shells feel wrong because you can ride them, and spinies feel too mean. But it’s close enough, thanks,

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Every level can be improved with more snake blocks.

I finished my new level by the way (no snake blocks though!) It’s a simple platforming course with collapsing lifts. I was inspired a lot by the old SMW course in Valley of Bowser with the platforms with numbers on them. My best time is 33.066 seconds, so if you’re going to speedrun it, at least beat that!

Who Built These Tracks!? - LP1-BKP-9GF

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I really missed the ability to make looping stages until I realized literally nobody liked them in SMB anyway. Stage 6-4 from lost levels would get booed into oblivion instantly.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Extra lives. You can get three of them per stage in endless.

They also make people feel good when they get one.

A goon streaming my level “8-3’s Revenge” cursed me out when my bonus area had a 1up mushroom instead of a power-up, so this doesn’t always work 😇

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Please enjoy my incredibly good level that definitely isn't a dumb joke taken way too far.

Mario's Calculus Quiz - 9LV-4NS-CLG

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

All these 1-1 remixes... Why didn't anyone else remix 8-3

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Goomba, Koopa, Hammer Bro, Snake Block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

For the first time in a long time, I decided to pick up Mario Maker and put an idea I’d had for awhile down to paper. Here it is!

Snake Block Gymnastics Festival
VWB-FJW-TGF

The level involves some elaborate wall jumping, but it’s very safe, so I hope it should be fun even for people who don’t like hard levels. The last time I tackled this theme the level came out ridiculously hard and no one but me ever beat it (despite like 60 attempts), so I made this one a lot easier.

Now I’ve got 40 pages of levels to catch up on.