Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Level uploaded: It's Incisive Social Commentary!
4RH-C1S-FKG
Level is a dumb joke level. Please clap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Drone posted:

This made me laugh.
Thanks!
I'll take my Pulitzer now!

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Wildtortilla posted:

How long is the story mode?

I am at 60% in story mode in one battery charge. (3-5 hours?) As far as playing it no internet? sure, go for it. Today story mode, tomorrow course design!

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
I am starting to review levels on the Spreadsheet (Submit Here)
Air Attack: SM6-QTF-PFF
Good level, the opening is not friendly to speedrunning, as you have to walk backward to get the momentum to make the jump. Too many coins in the Bonzai Bill section lead players to their deaths.
Gruesome Grave: 4MP-12L-8VF
Did it first try, was I supposed to get in front of the spineyfriend?
Hurry Up and Wait! LMB-BTF-P5G
Fun level to speedrun, sawline 2 requiring a wait is fine, the reverse on the firebar conveyors was mean.
Two Goombas GVQ-TV7-2JF
Cute. Was promised 2 goombas, and it delivered. Thanks for the powerup.
Pipe Up QX7-B2C-8VF
Level no longer exists?
Easy, Short, & Fun: QJT-VVQ-6G6
Enjoyable romp. The secret koopa vault was fun, had some trouble getting back into the level proper though, as jumping out of water can be a bit... off.
Chain Chomp Factory: BG3-BX8-RDG
Fun little level, with optional tasks. Not much to say really, good to speedrun?
Falling with style: QJP-SBJ-PFF
I was aiming for the truck, I got the world record instead.
Abe01: NHR-HK3-l9G
This is an excellent traditional stage, fun to speedrun with plenty of challenges and things to explore. Would have preferred a coin line from the upper path to down, as its super tempting to leap of faith to the goal, possibly leading to getting a hole in 1 near the flag

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
More Spreadsheet Reviews Remember to submit your levels.
Head in the clouds: GG6-N0S-KNG
Pure Joy. The only issue I had was in the first secret area, where i bumped the block at the top of the vine. Personally I don't think the rainbow platforms look good in SMW, but that's on Nintendo, not you.
Origins 20S-5HG-NWG
Course Not Found
Lagerbier BN6-D7Y-V0H
Placing enemies after a required pipe in a speedrun stage is mean, especially if you don't otherwise signal that you need to turn back earlier. Almost missed the special effect, as the first time I "beat" it I jumped over the gate.
8-3's Revenge DYS-F6C-GCF
Satisfying to speedrun, powerups are not "free" but they prevent the level from just being frustrating. Good Level.
Factory Spillage 8PK-WDN-Y0G
I got sad when I exited the vertical section and realized the level was over. One time the starman at the beginning jumped up onto the bridge, but only once... physics be weird, yo. Also, the saws and moles are tough, but fair as you get to see the moles.
Ball Jumps V2C-Y54-NXF
Only problem I had with this level was it is possible to enter the first reset door backwards, skipping the 10 coin. Good stuff.
Butt Stomp Sprint D7C-XS6-NXF
My favorite part was the BEES, mostly because it made me feel like I was getting away with something by jumping on them.
Soggy Doggies J7V-0DC-9HF
Normally, I do not like swiming levels, but those chain chomps were so doggam majestic I couldn't stay mad. Also, the end is semi-cheeseable by staying far down.
See the Saws GVL-H6F-T8G
Really fun to speedrun, if the EXTREME koopa jumps were intentional, good work. (also, lol at the shellmet)

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

They were not and I have no idea what they even are, I guess I gotta replay my own level to figure it out. Glad the unintended thing was fun, not bad
You can skip the "2nd" see-saw by jumping around the end of the background clouds, and high bounce off the koopa, then you can reach the shellmet platform by bouncing off the koopa under the pipe. both of these can be done at full sprint.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Jungle Crawl
1HS - 1K0 - T1H

So, I do not know if it was intended, but you can get some big time saves by taking hits. (first person to find a way to do that on the flying ant portion probably has a forever world record) Really liked the 30 coin. I was disappointed I didn't get anything for killing the creepers (that you aren't supposed to) I had 2 bugs, the first is that in the area with the 2 clear pipes and 2 spinys, if you fall in it water, it seems to be a soft-lock, even an invisible block by the first clear pipe should fix this, the second was in the vertical section with the clouds, one of the ant troopers climbed onto the piranha creeper at the top... this caused... issues. Keep up the good work!

Origins 20S-5H6-NWG.
Was only able to recognize sm1 3 and world starter levels. I am probably just dumb. I was unable to check out any of the bonuses... due to being bad at terrorism. Good stuff though.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Procrastine posted:

1'00"384 on Jungle Crawl I am the master speedrunner eat it other guy
1'00"469 im comin' for you, also sorry about how we're breaking your poor level coolguy.
59"874 and there's a few frames to improve.

Tnega fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 29, 2019

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Vikar Jerome posted:

played one of the popular maps last night and i had a goddamn super ball from mario land, even had the muisc and mario went grey. gently caress doki doki style, i bet we get a gameboy style dlc.

We aren't getting a SML1 style: If they make the koopas explode, Nintendo's HQ is getting burned down, if they don't, Nintendo's HQ is getting burned down.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
More Reviews We're down to #30 Submit yours today!
What A Rush 43P-3R1-QJG
Without any coins floating around, the level seemed kind of lonely, which may or may not be what you were planning. Also, while not a problem for goons, being able to spin jump on Twomps can be un-ituitive for anyone under 22 years old.
Depth Perception GSF-H39-RDG
The platforms after the goomba slope are low enough that with the airship camera movement sometimes they are off screen. Overall, the main emotion I felt was annoyance.
Castle of Thatway B6T-CJF-C3G
Checkpoints, use them. The cannon fight and p switch fall were fun, the first five times, 15 deaths from bowser/hammer bro rng, not so much.
SMB3: fast chill winter secrets BGY-7VW-R1G
So much money! Really captured the SM3 feel. I wanted to get behind the ending with a white box. (not implemented in SMM)
Reminiscence of Croc 49B-JWQ-KPF
Never played Croc, comments seem to think its on point. Good Work.
Sky Stroll LG7-FQP-R1G
What sort of monster hacks into Nintendo's archives and gives away the unreleased butter bridge level!
Fun in the Heat GSR-4W5-P5G
The problem with well designed "classic" levels is that there isn't much to say. Easier to speedrun than not, due to the brick runways.
Beneath the Kingdom BD6-GK8-7CG
The early spiketops make me sad, and the cramped spaces make me less inclined to explore. :(
Thwompcharge Summer X1V-WX5-X4G
I laughed, only bad part was with the big galoombas, as needing to bounce off them could have been telegraphed better.
Hitchin' a Ride 4P6-3KT-BGG
You spent a lot of time on this. Problem is that the saw is based on player position after a jump, so its basically random, and some positions, combined with the spiny are forced hits. Unless the trick was to take a hit early to manipulate the saw spawn, in which case, good work, ya got me.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Another 10 down 30 more take their place.
1-1 & 1-2 but Meowser's here 47C-7D7-HGF
None of the secret pipes worked, even after meowser blew the caps off. Now I am sad.
Now where could my pipe be? W4X-32F-VNF
Cute little maze. You can go fast, but at your own risk, I liked it.
Classic Kit T59-98K-2NF
Feels world 5 or 6-ish, but you lied. Tracks pretending to be flagpoles were not in SM1. LIES!
Bullet Festival HV0 - 64L - 2NF
People sure do like covering everything with comments so you can't see. Easy and fun level. Have to wait in a few places, but that's just the level.
Coin Ball Bash 1KP - 7FQ - FQF
Rose tinted glasses? More like PUKE GREEN tinted glasses!
Midnight Fridge Run DKQ - 3G0 - 97G
I feel like I was missing something, but eh, spooks were had.
Snow Saw Cliffs 99M-3VB-HBG
Good stuff, Thanks for the checkpoint.
Pipe Up (Re-Up) 85K - 34R - 7MF
A refreshing vertical level... surprisingly fun to speedrun, as there's nothing that makes you wait to see what you are jumping into.
Bowsers Fighter Fleet MD8-GVP-RWG
Could have used some coins, the second DEBT right after the first was a surprise!
Airfort one TMN-HSN-T1G
Solved both ways, the on/off switches were somehow faster, probably due to not having to wait for the crusher cycles.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

Mid-level Mario 1 was my target so that's nice. As for flagpoles, I tried using mushroom stems but they looked all wrong... :(

Vines; you can even climb them.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
I want to play more levels, I really do, but my thumbs hurt now.
Brick Breaker HBJ-NTV-MFG
I got confused playing it. So I guess that makes it a good puzzle?
SMW: A Short Easy Night 7J3-1DX-YDF
Level is fine, wind is annoying, but it wasn't used to make a kaizo level, it was just wind.
Babby's First Athletic W4X-7DC-P9G
All the stuff coming out of the pipes weren't necessary, as they distract pretty hard from looking ahead to see what's coming up.
Jelly Trap Jolt JPC-YXM-RRG
Thank you for not putting a fireball on the pipe. The level was not "fun" in the traditional sense, but neither was M3 7-4. At least yours isn't an autoscroller.
Lakitu Landing CJD-66C-D3G
I as annoyed because I got the key and died. Twice. Then I broke the level. Spin jump off the Chain Chomp, then free cloud ride to the finish
SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG IS AGOODGAME YHM-BFX-7QG
What if we gave Mario a gun that was also a jetpack?
Surfin' with Charvaargh CGF-15N-WDG
Using thwomps as a sort of controllable track platform is one of the most innovative things I've seen in Mario Maker, unfortunate no one has time to wait for Charvaargh to do his thing, so I just jumped across the boxes whenever I could.
Big Bob-omb On The Summit FHF-WL5-M6G
I had an issue where i knocked the bomb off the map after arming it. Also vines in front of the key door is annoying.
Mario 3 3rd Fortress Redux M4Q-CJ3-MXG
I would have preferred doors to pipes, but engine limitations.
Remember the Path! MGP-SV2-MTF
I knew there was the code... but I kinda just brute forced it instead. Also, you can just jump off before the saw for the Koopa first platform.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Doot Doot Doo, Chewin' Through the Spreadsheet (Submit)
Cruise Through The Clouds WB3-R1V-LPF
I died a couple times, but it always felt like it was my fault. A couple notes: What a magikoopa spawns from a block is random, so placing them close to other enemy spawns makes the difficulty vary wildly through playthroughs. Finishing with the "forced destruction" at the end is usually a bad idea, as if you were down to your last 1 or 2 blocks, it would feel really bad. You get a pass on it however as at that point you can just leap of faith to the end and win, but I'm wtching you.
Going for a Run. W6K-7YJ-WDG
Great signposting, keep up the good work.
Double Discord at Dusk ~月下の迷惑倍加~ 87S-NWY-W4G
I gave this a boo, as I assumed that was the attention you wanted :P (If you wanted to make a non-kaizo version of the concept, remember that in the no jump official courses, getting on and off the elevators is automatic.)
Walking my Doggo Vo.oV ML1-KV3-XMG
Nice little swimming "puzzle" level, the "goombas" are little akward for speedrunning, as by the time you see where they are going to jump, you are already on their dick.
Spookhaus of Jump Scares YWT-DJY-3MG
I did a spin jump on the first thwomp, expecting a prize. I received death, also the dry bones seemed to have troble getting pushed into the area by the spring. (I do not know if that was intentional.) Also, you "can" outrun the Bonzai Bill, I was only able to do it once, and it relys on how janky some of the "correctly jumped on the thing" hitboxes are.
Deep Forest Deeps 5YS-J6S-TFF
Course Deleted
Abyssal Adventure 9HJ-VK3-41G
Gotta love well executed High Concept levels. Thanks for the powerups and the reset door!
The Chomp Pipes P9J-C0K-G3G
Good stuff here, not much to really talk about, theres a "forced" hit.. right after a mushroom and a checkpoint, which is where you would want one.
Twist and Shout P3M-NRR-7HG
You are already aware that the twisters can mess with bounce hight, so all I can say is that I would have preferred if the chain chomp and spring challenges swapped places, as the chomp is the jankiest of all the jumps.
Perilous Pyramid YRR-XL0-68G
Cute level. Notes: On the upward part some of the saws peek into frame. The Magikoopa can destroy the place where the dry bones shells drop. On the Downward portion, the ending could use a bit more signposting, as I blindly fell into the last spikes, naving spend the last 10+ seconds blindly falling and landing on not spikes. Or you could just put a 50 coin down there as a reward for taking the hit or getting the shell all the way down.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
More Feedback!
You Suffer, But Why? 3JD-9Q4-R9G
Enemy Spam: The Level. If you can get Yoshi and the cloud mushroom you will probably be able to finish it.
Blackout Basement 74R-8PD-DHF
Good Level, it can be a little Simon says-y but it is short enough that it doesn't matter.
Revenge of Dr. Molenaut 1CD-2V7-TJG
Making the red coins optional was a good choice, given that if you didn't, the level would be Revenge of Dr. Softlock.
I Like Big Slopes 5T2-22F-Q1H
Level just needed a little more playtesting, for example, you know that the red koopa is at the bottom of the map, anyone playing for the first time does not, so some coins to scream "Big Jampu!" would be better. Also, I kinda wanted to see platforms of tracks, to better give the ski-slope vibe.
Hello Maker, or: It’s All Downhill From Here WSB-WHX-CYG
I appreciate the hidden block reward for my stupidity. Other than that, not much to say.
Starter Level 1-1ish Y3M-W6W-QJG
I can actually do an in-depth analysis for once! Your goal was to make a level that could be at the start of a mario game, you failed at this objective. Lets begin: The level starts with a clear area, and a staircase. This is fine. Then you reach the top of the staircase, and there's a block, halfway cutoff by the top of the map. This looks horrible. Moving on, there's a pipe you have to high bounce off a goomba to get on top of. Or hidden block So, a new player is supposed to just "know" holding jump will fling them all the way up... into a pirhanna plant? Then there's a couple gaps that are a little wide for 1-1, but you can walk jump over them, so they're acceptable. Then there's a secret area. (good, though I would have put a power up down there) When you come out there's a fire-spitting phiranna plant, this is only bad because its the 4th enemy type you've introduced in as many screens. Then there's the wall. At the end. The first time this happens is in world 2-1, and there they put a spring down in addition to the hidden block. And a new player is supposed to know to search everywhere how a hidden block how? Then there is an enemy on the staircase, which doesn't happen until 3-1. In conclusion, your level isn't bad, 1-1 is just a masterpiece of design.
Punch the Switch, Mario! F94-NL0-15G
Concept is fine, it just lasts way too long. Also you can grab most of the pow blocks.
Jungle Crawl 1HS - 1K0 - T1H
Oh, it's that level I was speedrunning. Everything up to the first secret area is fine, the problem there is that coming out, you can't outrun the vine, and have to wait. Throwing a star in the secret area probably would fix this. In area 2, getting the second ant trooper pipe to start working takes a bit of time, or you can just walljump your way up. Choices are good! This is also where I had an ant trooper climb onto the creeper, which was just weird. Ground pound or damage boost, or if you are really fast you can bounce off the incoming creeper. Nice. The water is slow if you are not big Mario, and the 30 coin is great. Bouncing off the flying ants can be weird, as they will collide with each other if you don't make the first one. Or just damage boost through. The downward creeper is only a challenge if you are speedrunning. As i said before, if you fall in the water after the clear pipes its a softlock. Grab the coins for an additional challenge or don't! (Or damage boost your way tot he end of the creeper so you can bounce onto the pipe platform) And the ending is great, you can wall jump up the middle or bounce off a creeper and take a side path. Sorry that me and the other guy messed up your clear rate. but with over 25% likes, it should even out eventually.
Down Unda 1HL-D06-GVF
Level could use some more signposting, or at least another block on the snake. Maybe a 10 coin over the diagonal coins at the start so you know to jump and not just run off.
Global Warming ~磯焼け~ P5V-CC0-J3G
Oh, the oceans evaporated, now all the fish are dead, Funny.
Podoboo Peril 3VP-FHN-VWG
I would have preferred the first 1up challenge be reversed, or a 1 way floor be used, as I climbed in there as big Mario, and mistakes were made. 2nd one up, some conveyors to speed up the reset would have helped. If you aren't quick to leave, boom boom can lock himself against the 1 way gate, moving that up a couple blocks so you can leave even if hes against the wall would be an improvement. The Bowser at the end was unnecessary,
Revenge of the Wooden Saucers WN2-2DJ-RWG
Fantastic level, only issue I had was Bowser Jr. got off his track and started.. flying around jankily as he does.
Break the Brick Blockade 5RF-QM6-FLG
I got confused with the "Kill the skipsqueaks" part, as the bullets were breaking the castle too, making me think that was the solution. Fix for that is just to see a skipsqueak get a bullet in the face, maybe around the optional 10 coin section. The car section is out of place thematically, but its also fun, so, whatever. I also got stuck in a crate at the end. Engine is weird.
Mountain Cave Adventure 3GM-C3K-C0G
Wut. There's a fake kaizo thing that gives you a shellmet. It ended with me getting hit by the twomp-thing and walking to the goaltape. Wut.
Jungle Hijinxs 5PB-PKC-FVF
Great, now do it in 3dland with barrels crates!
Pipe Mountain 1HB-483-4WF
Good work here, a lot of it is ugly, but that's just M3 Jungle. I wish there was something to the left of the "finish" pipe, as you can swim over there, Use that negative space!
Night of the Living Drybones K72-DXW-68G
As the comment said, there's a softlock at the start. Also the bossfight is too high up to see the bob-ombs.
Kaizo Snakeblock 7DP-55B-KPG
Level is very fair, if you wanted to play a hard snake block challenge, here you go.
June Hills HG6-X4J-7RF
At the end of the vertical section, i got hit by one of the two twomps when they were offscreen, and the last jump needs some coins, I didn't know where I was landing so I yolo'd it.
DOOMSHIP KML-3HB-15G
A bit too heavy on the enemies, the fire flowers should be in ? boxes (For multiplayer) and dying because I walked off the edge in the black space sucked.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My son made this level.
WLY QFH V9G
Clean out your desk little Timmy, you're FIRED! :smugdon:
Let's talk about the level. Lets start by what you did good with: You limited yourself mostly to 2 elements (springs and spiksqueaks) This helps keep your course from feeling cluttered. Placing the springs high enough that the charvargh..char.. WORMS cant reach you while you figure it out is a good choice. Next up, the things that aren't entirely your fault: The springs and the starting phiranna plants. While generally things that hit you in the spawn area are bad, the issue is more the time it takes for them to reach you. If they were held back by an on/off block that was changed by a koopa shell (that you could see the situation coming) that would be better. The springs are weird, their platform just needs to be a little wider. These are not your fault, as enemy stacking and those springs would work perfectly in every other style, and that's just 3dworld inconsistency with the other styles. Lets talk about bad things. #1 the Charvarrghs, these are bad because the player has a hard time telling if they are going to go left/fight or foreground/background, and so are hard to deal with when you need to keep Hitting Mices. Also, they don't fit with the water. (they could fit in the jungle theme, if say, the water rose and there were more firey things about, but that is a specific level design choice.) The dead ends would not be a problem in a more exploration focused level, but given this is a straight platforming level, they should either give a reward for going there, or not exist at all. This is called Negative Possibility Space. Having to ride the springs as your way up is fine, it just needed a coin or something on screen so the player moves the camera up and sees "Oh there's a doorbox up there." I got the keydoor ending, I was sad. Also, now that I think about it, finishing with the supersqueak was a great choice. A couple other game design videos to watch: Pacing and The Design Lesson (Ceave)
Edit: Also, if you are going to make a level based on jumping on enemies, skipsqueaks are an excellent choice! They stand still! Good work there!

Tnega fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 30, 2019

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

nrook posted:

But really, goons are pretty nice and people will like your course even if it’s mediocre.

Even outside of goons, making a mediocre course means that you are probably in the top 20% of levels in terms of quality!

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

nrook posted:

That’s good news for my upcoming stage, “Wall Jump Between Two Snake Blocks While Avoiding Bowser Fire”

There's a story mode stage about jumping between a snake block and a wall while avoiding stationary saws, so if its just the Bowser fire, its probably going to be great!

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

DalaranJ posted:

Hey guys, poster "lunar detrius" has something great for us, check out: https://randomactsofmario.com/
It's a randomizer which picks out a level from the spreadsheet for you. It'll remember which ones you've already played too.

lunar detritus posted:

Also, this first version was hastily thrown together so I'm very open to suggestions!

This is great, and it even has a "I've done the first X" Option! One request though, can we have the # on the spreadsheet listed somewhere, so the madmen who are trying to do them all can keep their noted saved for the unnecessary effort-posts?

Tnega fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 1, 2019

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Spikey posted:

Made my first ever course.
YY0-C2W-8SF
The Jump under the pipe is a little goofy, it doesn't "look" like you'll make it at first. The first muncher pit could use a coin over it, as you had no way of knowing it was coming. and you should fill in the area at the end, the whole being viable by the pipe does not look good. Good work!

Castor Poe posted:

Just uploaded my first Mario level. It's pretty straight forward, no fancy gimmicks. I spent a lot of time fine-tuning the "gently caress you and die" sections to make them fair and also made sure it's beatable for your dad who don't know there's a run button:
HST-P3K-KWF
The coin slide in the secret area put me right onto a spiney. The difficulty was all over the place, of particular note is the hammer bro in the saw area. Also, under the 10 coin there's a blue platform with some spikes you have to jump over, this can be hard to see and react to if you avoid the janky bouncers. (Either lower the spikes, or let people go under them) The powerups and checkpoint ARE appreciated, keep it up!
Cute! Beep Beep I'm A car!

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Puzzle Level Uploaded.
Mario Teaches Potions PP0-BRD-PDF
I would like to have feedback before I put it on the spreadsheet, in case I need a re-upload. Thank you!

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Spacedad posted:

Some streamers I had play this level really enjoyed it. I actually wanna do an evolved version of the boss battle at the end in the future.

https://twitter.com/SuperSpacedad/status/1145685168876707842

Normally night desert and no jumping are signs for SKIP NOW, but you made it work! Bit of delicious cheese if you can get boom boom caught in the claw by the key door.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

A simple rising poison based course:

https://twitter.com/Buttzy2/status/1145686093469106176?s=20

Hopefully I didn't gently caress it up.

Move your first two platforms up, so they are above the poison's max height, so players can see how high it goes. Otherwise a fine level!

Tnega fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 1, 2019

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Greader posted:

The Vault: KP5-JMH-4PG
Swamp Romp: HJM-X7F-HNF
The Vault: KP5-JMH-4PG
Got the cape and mushroom, ended as small Mario. Perfect.
Swamp Romp: HJM-X7F-HNF
Another fine level, just be aware you cannot jump on the poison fishies.

Plank Walker posted:

Posted yesterday, but so far only had 4 total plays. SMW Airship theme, not autoscroll.
Koopa Armada KY1-LQK-3GF
Level is decent, be careful of placing dry-bones vertically over each other, some of their patterns can be janky.

Tnega fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 1, 2019

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

The Lobster posted:

Any reason I'm not getting feedback on any of my courses here? Aside from the fact that I post mainly on the Discord instead?
I've been going down the spreadsheet in order, but fine, I'll chew through your back catalog.
Airship Panic MX8-NYN-R5G
Make sure you are aware of every position the camera can be, I didn't see that I was supposed to jump over a post until the camera went down (first ship after inside part.) Was also able to skip the inside part.
Lakeside Frenzy P52-KDB-YJG
Putting enemies in ? boxes is usually bad move, but level was short enough that I'll allow it!
Golden Ghosts 7NT-TFR-GDF
Possible to softlock yourself if you don't get enough of the fire flower coins, and the thwomp seems to be a forced hit if you don't wait.
Mario Classic MJ2-GG8-LYG
1-3 Level of difficulty, has no problems.
Tiny Trouble 9CB-4RH-X1H
Warioware level is fine. It was an enjoyable 3 seconds.
Jungle Jinks 5YG-FPM-PMF
You do a good job of using coins to guide the player, would have liked to be able to jump to the top of the flagpole. Also the extreme number of scene transitions was jarring.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Mario Teaches Potions 191-7FN-CKG
I'll just put it on the spreadsheet, if too many people have problems with the shell, I'll fix it.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Fast approaching #100, when I get there I'll post my top 10 of those.
Gentle Snowy Slopes F3F-G25-3KF
Good use of coins and powerups. I thought the ? under the bridge wouldn't be worth it, I was wrong! good stuff!
path of skull 2Q5-2HM-7VF
Hammer Bros are usually a bad choice, as the RNG is dumb, for example, one time one jumped on the Skull platform. At least you gave us a mushroom for what was effectively the forced hit. The Thwomps were fine.
Snowtop Summit 51Q-4P2-JBG
I don't see any reason for the red mushrooms to require a running jump to get the height to land on, but overall good level, powerups and checkpoints and bonus challenges, oh boy!. Big goomba was a bit iffy.
Pesky Pipes TYT-WGQ-TJG
Level is fine, bonus objectives are always appreciated.
Blinking Blast 3B3-81Y-4FF
The walljump portion coming close enough to crush Mario was not needed, but overall good.
Climbing The Bouncy Tree KML-FG7-WDG
At first I was annoyed by the pinball section, but there was a checkpoint, then the level was over. Fun.
Bombs in the Clouds KFR-K84-X0H
The fact that falls don't result in death, makes up for the amount of enemies and bullets coming at you.
5 Red Coins in the Ghost House K13-LGF-VKF
I really appreciate the checkpoints, spinjump area was starting to wear out its welcome though.
Ruinous Ruin TT5-Q6W-VNF
It would have been nice is there was a "safe" sliding portion before the slope, as siding don slopes that way in sm1 style is unintuitive, other that that, have you seen these gains bra?
The Wetland Warlords MSQ - 4PQ - T1H
I wanted to check out the secrets and things, but the level began to annoy me. Maybe 1 less koopa to fight?

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

DarkLich posted:

Loving these review posts, you're a Mario machine.

Thank you for the encouragement everyone, I have a 4 day weekend coming up, so this is my life now.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
I made a couple levels last night when I had no internet. So here you guys go.

Underwater Castle Very Hard W8D-S97-9GG
Swim through a castle. Its super expert probably. You all will hate it.
Edit: Turns out this qualifies for the You're Welcome!

Super Mario Bros. 1-3ish 7JC-K0F-0WF
Easier than 1-3, with a desert theme, but has green mushrooms.

Tnega fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 2, 2019

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

PantsBandit posted:

How do you guys generally approach giving players powerups while still maintaining difficulty?

Depends on what difficulty you are aiming for, do you want super expert? Just don't give the player powerups, if they need to shoot something put them in the clowncar. If you are aiming for Expert or lower, Just give them the powerups, the level isn't as easy as you think it is.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

PantsBandit posted:

upper end of normal.
Oh yeah, def put those powerups in, Worst case if you added routing choices for cool speedrunners. Upload what you got so far? (Unless you are still in pre-production)

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Desert Rush
CVK-N91-7LG

Working on beating this, You haven't tried playing this on a TV, have you?

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Macaluso posted:

One annoying thing about switches that I didn't take into account before building half of the second part of my level is that the previous switch state continues into the next subarea. I have to basically rebuild an entire part of the stage now because it can potentially break the first part of the subarea. Arrghhh.

Why not block the pipe to the subarea with blocks and put an on/off next to it, so you have to get the switch the right way to go through the pipe?

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Macaluso posted:

Because I built that last section as a shell back and forth switch so you have to jump across platforms going on and off to get to the pipe, and there's no way to stop the shell after that point.

This would've been fine as it's essentially the same thing with blocking the pipe, except I tested out going in a different times to see if I could break it, and it is possible to go in the pipe right as the switch changes back and it'll still break the next area. Now obviously that's a pretty extreme edge case for that to happen, but people manage to die on the weirdest poo poo in other levels. I basically have to remove that whole shell section and redo it, which is a bummer.

Put the on/off switch on the exit of the pipe?

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

I did everything docked and used joycons.
Then I guess My TV has just a little too much latency, whatever.

Desert Rush
CVK-N91-7LG

Ok, Finally beat it. Remove the colored blocks form in front of the first Thwomp, that's stupid, the player is already doing your request, and if the thwonp hits one of the blocks (it happens) it just feels arbitrary (the LAST thing you want in a speedrun/skill challenge) Third, get rid of the downward way to the sub area, or get rid of the do not hit block after the shell toss section, you get one "I didn't say Simon Says" kill.

BabyRyoga posted:

I've uploaded a WIP of the first section of my first SERIOUS kaizo level, The Rocky Balboa Express.
Any feedback would be appreciated
CXS-3R9-2HG
I got to the 2 vrtical Thwomps before my battery died. Overall, the idea of riding the Side of Thwomps is a good one, I do not like the bomb shooting out of the cannon, but I do not think I am supposed to. Also wit the 2 vertical Thwomps, if the first one goes away and despawns, you can ride the top one with a good jump off behind where the first was. Exploit or intended, impossible to know in a "Kaizo" stage.

CascadeBeta posted:

What does playing on handheld vs docked matter? Latency on a TV?
Yes.

Tnega fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 2, 2019

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Big Mad Drongo posted:

7 Short Films About 1-1
TWQ-4TF-QWF

I got a chuckle in the third part, but that's not a joke most people will get, and think just looks messy. The 30 coin up there was a nice touch. Other than that, level is fine.
If you havn't already seen it: Ceave's video Gets re-posted a lot, and for good reason.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Glagha posted:

I wish there were a way to zoom out a bit.
Press the right stick in.
Edit: Apparently you can't place objects when zoomed out, but you do get to see more of the level.

Tnega fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 2, 2019

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
You laugh, but as soon as someone develops a video game about jumping around, collecting coins, they're going to be famous.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Lukas vs Rosa 3DX-4TH-DQG
This level is an interesting concept, unfortunatly, Meowser's hitbox doesn't quite match up with his model. With only "one" chance to beat it, it forces you to play very conservatively, which means basically waiting for Mewoser to climb the side of the arena, where, due to his hitbox you end up "almost" touching him, then you get a hit and run. One way to improve it would be to add a koopa car or two, so you can get some "free" early damage in before you have to start swiping. Sadly, I cannot recommend this level as is, unless the player likes Kaizo challenges.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

guppy posted:

Li'l Ghost House on the Prairie
30N-9LX-WRF

I don't think it's difficult mechanically, but in proper Ghost House fashion, it plays tricks on you and has some secrets built in, and I think it should be fun to speedrun. I'm not a speedrunner by nature, though, so who knows!

More to come soon, but move the first hidden mushroom, i hit the invisible block and fell into the pit Twice. (Yes, I am bad at Mayro.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

guppy posted:

Eek, seriously? I didn't think most people would even find it.

Seriously. Moving on from there, standard ghost house fare, obvious hidden block is obvious (good, as you hide a P Switch later) The dry bones are slightly annoying because of the camera (not much you can do there, and tolerable with the powerup before them) I would put a Donut block on the other side of the first door, as a subtle hint to look closer at them. Found the P switch before going in the boo door. Seeing the Boo ring clipping in part 3 looks bad. Not using the default 5 snake block is good, I would recommend closing off some of the area to the right of the vertical snake block, it looks too empty imho. The cape lets the player skip the whole last part, throw a saw in the air for a pleasant flying experience. (make sure they land on a conveyor, or the goal if they hit it though) Conveyors are nice and long for the saw challenges. Mostly just fix the first accidental Kaizo block and you'd be fine.