Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Made my first level, was just messing around to get a feel for it but it ended up becoming a full level. It's a traditional-ish platforms-in-the-sky.

91P-B27-4RG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Cactrot posted:

Just uploaded my first level, babby's first Mario level.

YWP-GLF-PBG

Looking for a little feedback, this is kind of a first draft. It's not meant to be too tough, I just like chaining spin jumps.

I think when you create this kind of level, it's easy to undersell the difficulty of it because you created it. You know exactly what each jump is asking, and where the next Spiny is going to be, and how long you need to hold the jump button down for to get there.

As for me, I only made it past the chain of Spinies once in about a half hour of playing. Admittedly, I could just be really bad. :sweatdrop:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I updated my little airship level a bit.

WB1-GTJ-DRF

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Here's a new one. Trying to get down standard platforming before i try and get too fancy.

Wetlands Wanderer

KHQ-J25-PLF

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there a way to have my first entry on the google doc deleted? I messed up and re-entered. The 2nd entry is accurate.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Feenix posted:

Is there a way to have my first entry on the google doc deleted? I messed up and re-entered. The 2nd entry is accurate.

I've deleted C6K-3QP-RSG.

karma_coma posted:

Anyone want to try my little flooded forest level? Im new to this and looking for feedback: 19K-C1H-KVF

I might have time for some more feedback later, but the number one thing that stood out to me is that you should never (rarely) place question blocks 3 above the ground, they should almost always be 4 blocks above the ground to give Super Mario room to maneuver.

Object grouping was a bit strange in my opinion, but I liked the idea of having the entire stage flood all the way up.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 29, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Here's a new one. Trying to get down standard platforming before i try and get too fancy.

Wetlands Wanderer

KHQ-J25-PLF

Good level, but watch out for that cloud. It trivializes things when people get it.

I really wish there was a way to use lakitus without also giving people access to clouds.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1145047685956689920

:smith:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

ColdPie posted:

No, Luigi, you're the one who sucks. Shut the hell up.

I am so bad at Mario. I have always been pretty bad at Mario, I don’t know why I thought I’d be less bad at Mario here.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm not at all an Amiibo person but I desperately want one of a Toad wearing a hardhat.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

So using the Mario Galaxy music on my last stage inspired me and now I am so very sorry.

Going Galaxy
WB1-251-XKF

This was super cool and well done.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

DalaranJ posted:

I might have time for some more feedback later, but the number one thing that stood out to me is that you should never (rarely) place question blocks 3 above the ground, they should almost always be 4 blocks above the ground to give Super Mario room to maneuver.

Object grouping was a bit strange in my opinion, but I liked the idea of having the entire stage flood all the way up.

Thanks for this. I like the flood part too but I def could have made that a lot more fun. :)

I made a SMB1 ghost world... I really like the theme: 1KP-7KX-5WG ... feedback as always appreciated...

Ignite Memories posted:

Wetlands Wanderer

KHQ-J25-PLF

e: this one is awesome, fantastic job

mst4k fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 29, 2019

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Aww, they didn't include the Dizzy effect in SMM2. That's a bummer.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

Why hasn't Nintendo recreated the bookmark site and why isn't it baked into the online app?

Have they added any functionality to that app since Splatoon 2?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

someone awful. posted:

I think when you create this kind of level, it's easy to undersell the difficulty of it because you created it. You know exactly what each jump is asking, and where the next Spiny is going to be, and how long you need to hold the jump button down for to get there.

As for me, I only made it past the chain of Spinies once in about a half hour of playing. Admittedly, I could just be really bad. :sweatdrop:

It's incredibly likely that I watch too much kaizo and my sense of difficulty is gravely miscalibrated. Thanks for the input, I do think the max distance blind spinjump is a little much.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I made another puzzle-y POW-level, this time without most of the bad platforming.

POWer through!
T7G-7BF-GCG
Edited for clarity: 5PS-G6T-9MG

If you play it please tell me if it's too easy or too hard, I can't tell anymore.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 29, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Playing multiplayer and we got a level that was the car, a straight line of conveyors, and occasional enemies dropping from above. Basically the lowest of low effort garbage. Once cleared, the group voting rated it "Meh" instead of "Boo". And that's why we can't have nice things.

Internet Kraken posted:

I spent all day making another level... again.

Skewering Sand Dunes: TYT-MS5-5JG

Very cool and I liked how you used the semi-solids to set up the crushers. But the level is so dense with things that I was running out of time before I hit the first checkpoint.

ColdPie posted:

This was super cool and well done.

I gave myself an enormous headache trying to remember how to orientate everything. I wound up drawing out some of the complex sections on graph paper...

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Don't jump levels are really bad. The fact that they can't have checkpoints makes them even worse.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Having trouble clearing stages? Can't tell a goomba apart from a super mushroom? I've got one thing to say to you:

Please Learn How to Play Mario!

Level ID: 1TF-C8F-YWG
Difficulty: Easy
Multiplayer friendly?: Yes

I wanted to challenge myself to make a stage that would fit in the easy classification that actually engages the player in some way. What I came up with is a tutorial stage for new players and children. It teaches all the basic SMB1 moves and power ups in a mostly risk-free setting. This is a remake of a MM1 level, but if you played it back then this one is refined with some stuff added to replace a mystery mushroom section. I'd love to hear impressions, especially if you've got any really young kids.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Another 10 down 30 more take their place.
1-1 & 1-2 but Meowser's here 47C-7D7-HGF
None of the secret pipes worked, even after meowser blew the caps off. Now I am sad.
Now where could my pipe be? W4X-32F-VNF
Cute little maze. You can go fast, but at your own risk, I liked it.
Classic Kit T59-98K-2NF
Feels world 5 or 6-ish, but you lied. Tracks pretending to be flagpoles were not in SM1. LIES!
Bullet Festival HV0 - 64L - 2NF
People sure do like covering everything with comments so you can't see. Easy and fun level. Have to wait in a few places, but that's just the level.
Coin Ball Bash 1KP - 7FQ - FQF
Rose tinted glasses? More like PUKE GREEN tinted glasses!
Midnight Fridge Run DKQ - 3G0 - 97G
I feel like I was missing something, but eh, spooks were had.
Snow Saw Cliffs 99M-3VB-HBG
Good stuff, Thanks for the checkpoint.
Pipe Up (Re-Up) 85K - 34R - 7MF
A refreshing vertical level... surprisingly fun to speedrun, as there's nothing that makes you wait to see what you are jumping into.
Bowsers Fighter Fleet MD8-GVP-RWG
Could have used some coins, the second DEBT right after the first was a surprise!
Airfort one TMN-HSN-T1G
Solved both ways, the on/off switches were somehow faster, probably due to not having to wait for the crusher cycles.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Improper Crate Disposal
FW5-8QX-QKG

Built quickly and thus probably badly. Its built around a gimmick of water and crates.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Here's a dumb level where I tried to see how far you could push collect coins levels:

T7L-K08-PLF

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tnega posted:

Classic Kit T59-98K-2NF
Feels world 5 or 6-ish, but you lied. Tracks pretending to be flagpoles were not in SM1. LIES!

Mid-level Mario 1 was my target so that's nice. As for flagpoles, I tried using mushroom stems but they looked all wrong... :(

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Why do I have to use a shoulder button to spin jump? Let me use my Super Mario World muscle memory I've developed over the past two decades.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Made my first two levels.

MX8-NYN-R5G - Airship Panic: A higher difficulty airship level.

P52-KDB-YJG - Lakeside Frenzy: A chill, easy romp beside a lake in the forest.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Random Stranger posted:

Very cool and I liked how you used the semi-solids to set up the crushers. But the level is so dense with things that I was running out of time before I hit the first checkpoint.

You're right. I kind of wanted players to go slowly at times to take caution of the spikes but the time limit kind of urges you to hurry at others. I shouldn't of messed with it.

Wah, I hate when you upload a level and wanna change one thing but don't want to delete it.

EDIT: Heck, I decided to just reupload it.

Skewering Sand Dunes: 5R1-VGM-Q6G

Its a level with sand dunes! And spikes! Giant spikes impaling you viciously. I got an idea of the skewers erupting out of the sand like giant worms and had to try making a level based around it.

Also if any of you have feedback on making traditional style levels better I'm open to it. I think with Mario Maker I'm good with aesthetics and, uh, no much else.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 29, 2019

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

Mid-level Mario 1 was my target so that's nice. As for flagpoles, I tried using mushroom stems but they looked all wrong... :(

Vines; you can even climb them.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Why do I have to use a shoulder button to spin jump? Let me use my Super Mario World muscle memory I've developed over the past two decades.

agreed, needs patching back in.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

lunar detritus posted:

I made another puzzle-y POW-level, this time without most of the bad platforming.

POWer through!
T7G-7BF-GCG

If you play it please tell me if it's too easy or too hard, I can't tell anymore.

This was good when I knew what I was doing but I had to reset a few times in ways that I feel like should have been avoidable. In the outdoor section (not counting the start) I think the p-switch should come out of a pipe so it will refresh if you don't make it to the exit pipe in time. In the section after that it's not evident that you'll soft lock yourself if you go through the one-way without getting the shell first.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

J-Spot posted:

This was good when I knew what I was doing but I had to reset a few times in ways that I feel like should have been avoidable. In the outdoor section (not counting the start) I think the p-switch should come out of a pipe so it will refresh if you don't make it to the exit pipe in time. In the section after that it's not evident that you'll soft lock yourself if you go through the one-way without getting the shell first.

Thanks for the comment! I'm not sure how to make that final section clearer, maybe I should just add a death exit. :negative:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

NofrikinfuN posted:

Have they added any functionality to that app since Splatoon 2?

There's some poorly organized Smash stuff on it now.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
So just to be clear, for vertical substages, you can't stop the screen scrolling horizontally, correct? I'd really like to make something one screen in width, but I'll make do if I can't.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

So just to be clear, for vertical substages, you can't stop the screen scrolling horizontally, correct? I'd really like to make something one screen in width, but I'll make do if I can't.

You absolutely can through the exact same method of placing a complete line of solid ground or hard blocks from bottom to the top.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hey, remember how annoying those cheep cheep bridge levels were in SMB? Well, they're back with optional swimming.

WD4-YJD-3XF

Uploaded my first level at exactly 4:20 PM. Just as keikaku.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I made a new level about ginger ale.

WBK-80R-SFG

I’ve noticed that it’s very hard for me to make something interesting out of the smb3 underground tileset.

Also we need a bookmark site so bad. I wanna try all these levels being posted but typing them all in one by one is a pain. Let me just click a button.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it just me or is there a gulf in quality between Easy Endless and Normal Endless?

I mean, Easy Endless stages aren't that good but at least there is a scrappy charm to them.

"Here is my first level. Pwease be nice"
"This is a short gimmick level"
"Here is 1-1, but with a twist!" (There are a lot of these)

Then you get to Normal Endless stages...

"i was drunk when i made this"
"HERE COMES THE BULLSHIT ENEMY SPAM"
"What is a checkpoint?"

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Dare you enter Uncle Autoscroll's Spookhouse? F71-TYS-SFG.

It's probably longer and shittier than it needs to be, but I can't help but overcomplicate everything I get my filthy hands on.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it just me or is there a gulf in quality between Easy Endless and Normal Endless?

I mean, Easy Endless stages aren't that good but at least there is a scrappy charm to them.

"Here is my first level. Pwease be nice"
"This is a short gimmick level"
"Here is 1-1, but with a twist!" (There are a lot of these)

Then you get to Normal Endless stages...

"i was drunk when i made this"
"HERE COMES THE BULLSHIT ENEMY SPAM"
"What is a checkpoint?"

The first normal stage I got was some kaizo Mario shell toss poo poo.

Meanwhile I have 30 lives and 25 clears on Easy.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

[quote="Internet Kraken" post="496334300"
Skewering Sand Dunes: 5R1-VGM-Q6G
[/quote]

I thought this was great. Nice use of slopes to make for risky terrain.

DalaranJ posted:

WD4-YJD-3XF

Excellent level. Feels like what an actual jungle level in SMB would have been like had they existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Overbite posted:

I’ve noticed that it’s very hard for me to make something interesting out of the smb3 underground tileset.

Well, it used to be the go to for space levels, so much for that.

J-Spot posted:

Excellent level. Feels like what an actual jungle level in SMB would have been like had they existed.

Thanks! I was worried it would be a little too busy because I couldn't resist playing around with objects crossing the water level.