Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I won't get to make a Mario until tomorrow.

Just one work day and then my lava snakes will flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

OK, if you can only have 32 downloaded courses at once

I do not have the game yet, but huh?

DalaranJ posted:

Course bot has 120 slots in 'my courses' and 120 slots in 'downloaded courses'. Which is technically twice as many as SMM1.

The number 32 came up when somebody was talking about how many they could upload to begin with, and that number is way higher than what it starts out with from the first game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bulgakov posted:

lmao did they allow that in MM1???

You could put them in levels but it would just be replaced with a generic tweeting noise on the uploaded version, so yes and no.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

3 hours left this is miserable

i was stupid to want to sleep last night

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I did it, I finally made Mario... 2.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

to be honest 3D World levels are just making me want a Switch version of 3D World more then anything

...gently caress that's Nintendo's plan all along isn't it

Jokes on them, I always wanted that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I made a level around the woods, Yoshi, and icicles.

I haven't even made it to my first upload in terms of playing goon levels off the google doc, lol.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tnega posted:

Surfin' with Charvaargh CGF-15N-WDG
Using thwomps as a sort of controllable track platform is one of the most innovative things I've seen in Mario Maker, unfortunate no one has time to wait for Charvaargh to do his thing, so I just jumped across the boxes whenever I could.

Oh, you're not waiting on them to do anything, they're just a hazard. Originally I wanted to concoct some weird thing to surf on them or something but it seemed like the only thing that actually interacts with them was Bob-Ombs so oh well.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

After playing a few more levels, the SMB1 Forest music is fantastic.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I took entirely too long to make this and now I'm like 100 levels behind in the spreadsheet.

That theme screams bandit lair to me, and well, who said a plant can't be a bandit?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Anybody have a level sitting at 0 likes after a day? I'll play it and like it (unless it's garbage) to get it into endless

The problem is I'm basically ignoring what's coming up in the thread because I can't keep up with it whatsoever, so I'm just going through the spreadsheet in order which means I might get to the people posting stuff today by like Friday at this rate.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

When you search by ID in course world, the text that pops up is "Please input the Course ID or Maker ID you want to search for."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

code:
134. SamFausr	Spooky Night, Holy Light	9CX9Y1WSG	Super Mario Bros. 3	Ghost House	"Classic"
You know what's worse than blind jumps? Blind jumps when you can only see a radius of three bricks around you.

You missed a gimmick in that level that I didn't catch until near the final screen and which is brilliant if you duck as if you're "praying", the holy light sound effect plays and illuminates the level, aka "holy light".

Went from a level where I was similarly irritated to one of my favorites so far.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

One more level before bed.

I made this for the "Try Switch" thing, once I had the concept for it the level came out fast.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Lobster posted:

Any reason I'm not getting feedback on any of my courses here? Just too many people posting courses that I'm getting lost

It's just this. There's been 250+ added since release, and the fiend that I am I still am only at 166, and like 30 more got posted while I was asleep.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I only boo levels that don't work like how the creator intended them to, or which only work correctly seemingly randomly due to them not thinking entirely about screen scroll, despawns, softlocks, etc.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I ran out of default blocks in the vertical section that was max extended of that Boss Piranha level I made, but I also made a bunch of narrow tubes and filled out the areas.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Just keep in mind it's a pain in the god damned rear end to build stuff on top of semi solid platforms so add the backgrounds last if you can help it, and also if you try to copy multiples of anything on top of one it will delete the platform.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Okay I played all of the Jam levels so far, here's my feedback.

Ski Lift Shutdown
YCF-BQB-4YF
Phantasium

I didn't beat it. I can't get past the part where you have to jump on top of the block. The variety of timing was very punishing, first you have to go slow and later you have to go fast.
The theme was interesting, I wish I had gotten further to see if it was going somewhere.

There shouldn't be any part where you have to jump on top of a 1-tile block, so I think I'm going to take this down and change a few things. If you're talking where I think you're talking there's not even really anything past that other than the end of the level, so now I feel the need to change more than just that part.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

It’s the first one where the Thwomp doesn’t hit the block, maybe you could jump without hitting the block and duck under the falling thwomp but I have to decide immediately because otherwise the thwomp behind me hits the block again.

I made a point to make those on/off block platforms in that last section 5 tiles wide because, at least when I was testing it, the thwomps only activate when you're in the 2 tiles on their side, so you should be able activate the free floating thwomp and get back on the platform without activating the one behind you, and then when the one ahead of you is gone just jump lightly over the gap. I knew you could jump on that 1 tile on/off switch as a secondary thing but didn't care too much about having it as an alternate.

Typing that all out though, it sounds pretty horrible though and I know now I was just struggling to figure out how to actually end that stage so I'm still going to redo it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

A coworker of mine made a level you literally can't die in, it has no pits and no enemies. 80% clear rate.

There was that joke Shadow the Hedgehog level from the spreadsheet that has no death states in it and I deliberately let that stage idle just to hit the timeout death a couple times just to hit the clear rate.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I've had red coins save through checkpoints. Haven't seen anything where I had a key going into a checkpoint.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Never put them near pits, even if you think it's an out of the way bonus it will be hit by accident and screw up the trajectory of a jump. I got really tired of that in MM1 (yeah a lot of it was deliberate, but it got on my nerves even when it wasn't and was clearly meant as a boon) and it's the fastest way to get me to quit your level.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

guppy posted:

This one is directly over the starting location. Like, to hit it you would stand still when you spawn and jump straight up.

I don't know the layout of your level since I'm at work, but a lot of people will back up to get a running start before jumps if they have the room and the start will always have a little room.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I finished my alterations to my Ski Slope stage and re-uploaded it

Ski Lift Shutdown
535-CFS-QDG

This was for the Try Switch contest, do I need to just re-add it to both sheets or could it be updated?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

It doesn't, please enter it in both forms.

I didn't actually quote you before, but could you update the code on both spreadsheets for my Ski Lift level?

Phantasium posted:

I finished my alterations to my Ski Slope stage and re-uploaded it

Ski Lift Shutdown
535-CFS-QDG

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Does anyone know if Charvargh's placement matters at all aside from the initial fall? He always seems to act exactly the same regardless of where you place em.

It seems like as long as you've passed the screen horizontally where they're placed, they'll just activate and follow you automatically regardless of how you place them (and even maybe teleport a bit when they're not on screen to keep up with you?). Probably why they only allow 3 on a stage since they don't seem to despawn unless you go through a door or a pipe or something.

It also doesn't matter where you place them relative to the lava. I made the lava in my first stage go all the way to the top half of the screen and just built the level at that point so that I could place them all the way at the bottom and hide them spawning in from dropping.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

:argh: I knew I was forgetting something! I got it now.

Thanks!

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I'm surprised I have people that actually like my levels enough to recognize my name.

I don't remember what levels you did exactly but I remember noticing them in the first game, it has been 4 years tho...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

Random level review:

Hot Tootsies

9Y3-B0Q-QGF

I like the level's idea and design. But I am probably the worst ever at correctly throwing a pow at two munchers to kill both. This is at least the third level that has made me come to terms with this.

Didn't beat, but I think I'll come back to this one.

I liked that one up until the checkpoint, because it took forever to get there and I thought it might be done before going in the door with it, but instead the room with the checkpoint had this one tile gap to maneuver through between spikes and it was so torturous to get through I just quit out of it then and there. Having to do a pixel perfect drop in that gap while making sure you're not moving in the span of like 1 second just didn't fit like the rest of the challenges did and was only frustrating; I knew even if I passed it I would fail something farther in the level just due to not knowing about it and be returned to that spike hell to die a few more times until I forget what happened later in the level.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

guppy posted:

What should we do if a spreadsheet entry isn't a valid code? I just tried to enter HQ6-LGH-18G, but it doesn't exist.

I mean some people delete theirs, I just move on and don't worry about it? Sometimes people don't tell the OP and just add the updated code back onto the list, there's been a couple of stages I've played twice because the creator updated between when I played the first one and when I got to the second one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I made an underwater autoscroll lev... wait come back...

I promise I tried to make it easier than I normally do.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

J-Spot posted:

I thought this was a cool idea that made really clever use of the course elements. Unfortunately if you were trying to make this easy I'd say you failed. Whenever those twister guys show up trying to push you into the spikes it got to be too much with the porcupuffer also in play and I kept dying.

I'll just say that any time you see a spiral or circle of coins, that's my hint that there's space to do a loop around him so he'll end up farther back.

I kind of wish the cheep cheeps would stop getting stuck on him, though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1146636107859156992

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oh yeah, they'll gently caress you up.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Ski Lift Shutdown
535-CFS-QDG
By: Phantasium

I'm not sure that the jumping flows the way you intended with this level. Because the spineys drop spikes, I had to slow down which caused disruption to the spike top patterns.

No, you're supposed to slow down for the spikes. I'm not sure how you'd accidentally trigger further spike tops while slowing down without getting the platform switched out from under you, though...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

eonwe posted:

535-CFS-QDG - Ski Lift Shutdown

One of the best jobs I've seen of conveying a 'theme' with that Ski Lift breaking down in the level

Thanks!

Doomykins posted:

Ski Lift Shutdown (535-CFS-QDG) by Phantasium: The switch jumps are designed for dashing speed and height but the enemies on the first two dashing switch jumps cycle to break it so often I start each attempt on a real sour note. Great intro and thanks for putting the checkpoint right after it for those that just want to clear the course at all!

Yeah I knew if I didn't put a checkpoint there the humor of the opening bit would be quickly replaced with tedium.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I played through like 50 levels from the spreadsheet and it keeps getting fatter and fatter, so I wasn't expecting to make a level today.

And then I did.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

I'd like to congratulate everyone on creating 500 levels.

seems like i will always be half-way done with the list

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I miss Mario Maker telling me what day it is when I boot it up

how am I supposed to know now

i'm sorry did you turn the game off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bleck posted:

How do we submit to Random Acts Of Mario?

It's just picking stuff from the goon spreadsheet, which you can add to with this link