Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Kirios posted:

A couple of courses - I'd love feedback on them!

First one I did - easy and kind of bad - GSF-H39-RDG
Second one - better but maybe too hard? - L2K-103-PSF

First's one easy, but it's also a better level imo. The second one... maybe ease up on the Piranha spam, the sub areas seem pointless and the genuinely challenging jumping area would benefit enormously from a checkpoint.

That said, I kind of suck at this game, so grain of salt...

Q_res fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I'm trying my hand at making a stupid simple level and since I never played MM1 I'm having an issue I've not been able to figure out how to solve. When I place a coin on a visible ? block it defaults to multiple coins. Invisible is defaulting to one coin, I haven't been able to figure out how to change that behavior.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

A ? block with nothing in it gives a single coin I believe

I had a feeling it would be silly obvious...

Well, here it is. Y3M-W6W-QJG

Just bear in mind that it's meant to be really simple and easy. Basically I wanted to do a 1-1 style level without doing a 1-1 remake.

edit: That said, I'd welcome some feedback on what I can improve on going forward.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 29, 2019

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Zelder posted:

The ability to boo bad levels is a good start but I hope they patch in the ability to forcibly brick the consoles of people who put off screen whomps on stages

Intentional softlocks, like kaizo block traps are an instant Boo in my book.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Here's one I spent a little more time on. Boom Boom's Unpaid Electric Bill MNB-F4G-7KF

Only my second level, so input and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Q_res - Boom-Boom's Unpaid Electric Bill
Level could use some lights closer to the ground as Buzzy Beetles kinda just pop out at you in this stage which kinda drags things to a crawl. Also took a handful of lumps from invisible blocks that had no tell (There was a red flying koopa that kept bonking me at one point because I kept hitting my head on the invisible staircase while trying to jump on him). Also the final Boom Boom looks like a forced hit? He just camped over the hole I had to jump up so that was a bit meh.
Not a bad stage but could use a few tweaks here and there to be more player friendly. Unless that's not the desired effect :v:

Thank you for the feedback, genuinely. On the Koopa thing, do you think just moving the Koopas a column away (i.e. spread them farther apart) from the invisible blocks would help? I was kind of going for that wall telling you there had to be hidden blocks to get you up there and making the player hunt for them just a little bit.

As for the last Boom Boom, he spawns in the far right corner of that room. If you're quick you can make it up there without taking a hit, and during playtesting, going back down to the bottom of the room leads up there lets you reset him. I'm just not sure how to communicate that they need to move quickly to the player.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I found a course made by some pubbie that's actually really awesome. At first blush it's a SMB1 1-1 remake, but it's very much more than that. I feel like I have to replay it a couple times just to find all the hidden, cool poo poo he put in it. It's called "1-1?" and the ID is FMW-RT7-9RF.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Unfortunately I didn't know about how the Uploaded flag worked, so I spent time fixing Boom Boom's Unpaid Electric Bill and made it a much better level that I'll now never be able to upload.

But I did decide to give the 3D World style and tried making just a straight forward, but challenging traditional Mario level and came up with 3D World Spelunking F3M-1D8-JSF

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

J-Spot posted:

You just need to take the old one down first if you're willing to lose the likes and plays you've accumulated.

You know what, yeah it'd be worth it.

Boom Boom's Unpaid Power Bill v2

R7W-H5S-9XG

Q_res fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 18, 2019

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

J-Spot posted:

Elsa Spiderman Mario Adventure Time Fidget Spinners Buried Alive (for kids)
Course ID: 52R-0PB-3YG
Difficulty: None
Multiplayer Friendly?: You'll never have friends

This got a chuckle out of me. Seems like something a really young kid would dig.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Submitted my first Jam level. SMB3 Pipeland Kids Jam

98P-SSK-L1G

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

That's a really cool level, well done

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

In general, I'd avoid having more than one boss fight in a level, but it worked alright here.

Firstly, genuinely want to thank you for the input (you too JSpot). The reason for the multiple boss fights is because the level started out as an entirely different concept that I just couldn't quite pull off.

Originally I was going for Horror level inspired by 80s Slasher flicks. That's why there are off screen Thwomps in the ceiling. I wanted a dark level with a lot of jump scares but no real danger until you got to the Boss fights. The trapped Bosses in the walls was the villian stalking/chasing you. In keeping with the Slasher films where the villian always has a couple fake deaths before the final showdown. It was originally going to be 3 versions of Bowser, but the fire from the trapped Bowsers caused problems.

Hopefully with a little more experience designing levels I'll be able to pull it off eventually.

Straight White Shark posted:

Has a few Kaizo blocks (unintentional?), and the blind jump into the pit is a dick move. Pretty solid overall though.

And thank you too, appreciate it. Kaizo blocks? The hidden coin blocks at the start? I was hoping the coins would give away their presence. Definitely unintentional though. As for the pit jump, I had hoped the Paratrooper would help that from being too punishing. Also, it's actually possible to walljump from the left side if you don't get it right. Wasn't sure how to communicate that though.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 18, 2019

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I don't want to be harsh, but are you seriously suggesting that level is somehow kid friendly? I see you're also responsible for 'Nipping at Your Heels', can I respectfully suggest that you need to reevaluate your perception of difficulty? Only one of your courses manages to have a Clear Rate of 7% or better.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Alakaiser posted:

So I haven't beaten this yet because I'm awful at platforms but I really like the schtick of the buzzy beetle kind of guiding you along at the start of the level. I keep dying to it on the swingback once I drop down since I can't really establish how far it's going to go before bouncing back. The premise is neat though! I'm somewhat willing to put up with more nonsense than I usually am because I love the idea.

Thanks for the input. Actually if I was to make a suggestion, it would be not to kick the beetle shell to the right at all.

The repeatable coin block you could only hit while that P Switch was active is a great idea and I wish I had thought of it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

My Jam level was sitting at 100% up through about 10 playthroughs and then it plummeted to the low 60s. So I'll be curious to hear when yours hits that wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

This is a neat level, really enjoyed it.