Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

This is my first time playing Mario Maker. How can I make it so a lift travels down a track and then when it reaches the end it falls off instead of reversing? The pigeon implied I could delete the end of the track, but all that happens is I shorten the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I finished my first level ever!

Remember the Path!
MGP-SV2-MTF

I don't know if it's clever or annoying but it was my first idea so :shrug:

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Random Stranger posted:

So there's a few problems here. The first is that I didn't understand the concept behind the level for my first two attempts. Using the enemies as a "code" is a solid idea, but it's tough to communicate in Mario Maker. It was your title that clued me in, but remember that not everyone playing speaks English. If you encountered this level but it was named "コードを覚えて" would you be able to figure it out? Removing the other background enemies so the code doesn't appear to just be part of the background, repeating the code several times so it's clearly something important, and doing something to draw attention to it like placing stars around it might help with this, but I'm not sure it would be completely effective.

Your method of controlling the player after the decision isn't great. The platforms are slow and because you need to hide the results I spent a lot of time on your level waiting around. And then punishing with death is always going to annoy a player. A better approach would be to send them backward.

The water at the bottom of the stage hinders your goal since I wound up in the water after a bad choice and could survive indefinitely. Just have it be a pit if you want to kill the player.

That said, the layout wasn't terrible and being able to take an idea and implement it is half the battle. So keep trying!

Thanks for the critique. You're absolutely right about the slow platforms not being exciting. I added those red Parakoopas to the second set in order to jazz it up but I wasn't thrilled with the results. I'm not quite sure what you mean about the other background enemies, though? At the start I showed the Koopa in the pipe box, and then the first two [?] boxes are above a piped Goomba and Koopa. The latter rewards the player with a mushroom, while the box above the Goomba just has another Goomba to indicate that it was the wrong choice.

I also agree about the water. I love the SMB3 Forest aesthetic with the pipes but I couldn't figure out how to remove the water entirely on the forest theme.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

J-Spot posted:

Having trouble clearing stages? Can't tell a goomba apart from a super mushroom? I've got one thing to say to you:

Please Learn How to Play Mario!

Level ID: 1TF-C8F-YWG
Difficulty: Easy
Multiplayer friendly?: Yes

I wanted to challenge myself to make a stage that would fit in the easy classification that actually engages the player in some way. What I came up with is a tutorial stage for new players and children. It teaches all the basic SMB1 moves and power ups in a mostly risk-free setting. This is a remake of a MM1 level, but if you played it back then this one is refined with some stuff added to replace a mystery mushroom section. I'd love to hear impressions, especially if you've got any really young kids.

I just played this in multiplayer with my five-year-old daughter and it was perfect. We only died once via timeout when she had trouble ducking under the wall after CP2, but that's because she still hasn't gotten comfortable with jumps that aren't straight up and down. We'll work on it.

Only weird thing I noticed was that at the Super Ball part she got the power up but I still had the Giant Luigi power up so I couldn't do much in that room without destroying the floor. But other than that it was perfect; I'm proud of her and thankful for you.

EDIT: She's trying the first level in Story Mode and she keeps shaking the controller like a Wiimote whenever she jumps.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Big Bob-bombs On The Summit
TRV-H1M-X1H

I feel like the end could have been more exciting so if you have suggestions let me know and I'll make a Version 2.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

neonchameleon posted:

Am I missing something really obvious, or is the intended strategy after the first chomp and at the top of the hill mid-air sideways bomb excavation?

That is correct.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I'm trying to make a level where you race an enemy to the end before it hits a P-Switch and makes the level unwinnable, but no matter what I do the winning strategy is to let the enemy get far enough ahead that he despawns. :smith:

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Thank you for the advice, everyone; I decided to go with the autoscroller and even though I normally hate autoscrollers I'm happy with how this turned out.

Footrace With Koopa The Quick
W0L-K39-VHF

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

ultrachrist posted:

Is there a way to force an on/off switch to a different color?

So if I have part of a level above ground and then you go underground and then back above ground, I want the switch to be BLUE.

Which is easy for full clear since you go underground with it blue every time. But the check point is underground so if you start from the checkpoint and return above ground, you never touched the block initially and now it's red!!

Sounds to me like the solution is to not offer a checkpoint.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Okay, my fourth level is the first one that I'm really proud of.

Quicker Than The Sand
T30-M52-QWF

The SMB desert music is fantastic.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Submitting this level for the Switch Jam:

The House on Bombcircle Mountain
G14-QL4-CYG

Haschel Cedricson fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 4, 2019

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I'd like some feedback on this level before I add it to the spreadsheet.

The Tomb of Amenpoketep
D21-JQB-6TF

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Random Stranger posted:

Since you clearly want to make refinements, I'm going to run down a few things that made me go, "Huh," while playing:

• The checkpoint on the roof wasn't visible after climbing up initially. I might have missed it if I didn't compulsively get on top of everything.
  • The invisible block with the p-switch isn't much fun. I found it, but unless the player knows that they're supposed to be looking for a switch they're more likely to stumble around there. If the block was visible it would still give people a challenge to hit and activate it.
  • At the bottom of the shaft, the sloped edge scraped the top off the "pokey".

But it's pretty good. I'd give it a like and comment, but you seem like you're going to delete this version soon.

Re Checkpoint: Good point; I'll move it. I was already thinking of revamping that section because I realized when players started from the checkpoint that Pokey is right there.

Re Invisible Block: I was going for a sort of "Oh no, how do I activate the lift before the side skewers break through the wall?" sort of thing. Maybe there are a bunch of ? blocks but only one of them has the P-Switch?

Re Shaft: Good catch; that's an easy fix.

Any thoughts on the boss fight at all? All my adjustments seemed to make the fight teeter back and forth between childishly easy and unpleasantly hard.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Thank you everyone who playtested for me. Here's the final version:

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

My Desert Trilogy continues!

Amanita Oasis
0JY-5LR-D6G

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Mahoning posted:

Oh man, I just obsessed over beating two of Matt Thorson’s (creator of Celeste) levels.

The second one, Starlight Shells (PHP-GYT-VJG) nearly had me rage quitting. I went like 10-15 minutes only saying the word “motherfucker” out loud in different ways like that scene in The Wire.

Anyways, I finally beat it after probably 100 tries, which is about right since its clear rate is 1.46%.

I felt so smart when I figured out what I had to do, and then so dumb when I continually failed to actually do it.

The first time I made the music note jump, I proceeded to throw the shell in exactly the wrong direction. :smith:

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Let's play some random acts of Mario.

Light Switch Slam
This was a lot of fun; I've never noticed that the switches control the lights. There were a few parts where I felt like the challenges were "out of order', i.e. there'd be a jump that had to be made with the lights dim, and then a similar jump where the lights were brighter, but all in all great level.

Snowpeak Descent
Is there a better feeling in Mario than sliding down a slope and killing everything in your path? Nope. I killed Boom Boom by making an icicle fall on him, which felt great. Good use of making a vertical level that's aesthetically pleasing.

Fountains o' Fish
I was promised fountains of fish and this level did not disappoint. Thank you for not including Cheep Cheeps.

Calamari Clouds, Beetle Skies
This level is like Memphis-style BBQ. By that, I mean that I respect what you are trying to do but it is not for me.

Going Galaxy
Oh my goodness, this is the most creative goon level I've seen so far. That's not a knock against anybody else; this is just that good.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

DorianGravy posted:

I uploaded my third level: Crumbling Sky Cathedral (DD4-FKS-YHF).

Strange noises have been coming from the old Sky Cathedral. Go investigate. The passageway to the main hall is blocked by debris, but maybe you can find another way. I hope you're not afraid of heights!

I put more time into this level than my first two, so I'd love to hear some feedback. If you let me know what you think, I'd be happy to give a mini-review of one of your levels in return (just leave me your code). Mario Maker is fantastic.

This is a beautiful level. The amount of time you put into this level really shows; the aesthetics of the cathedral were amazing. When I encountered the first bell I got a big smile on my face. Also, there aren't a ton of levels that make you go right to left, so it was really cool seeing that sky section where you had to backtrack to the upper left corner.

I felt like the timer could have been a bit longer, but maybe I was just going slow. I sort of cheesed the timer by dying in the boss fight and then starting from that last checkpoint with a full 299. But yeah, everything about this level is fantastic. Keep up the good work.

If you're doing reviews in return I posted a level on [url=]https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892822&userid=90307#post496594162]the last page[/url].

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

The Lobster posted:

Dicked around and made this level, shouldn't be too hard. I'm aiming for Normal Endless as usual.

Fauxkey-Pokey is an original character do not steal :argh:

Seriously though I'm excited to play it.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

DarkLich posted:

Finally finished up the next SMV batch!

I haven't done these four yet, but last night I played through the first two kingdoms you made and they were all excellent. I love how you put the checkpoints at the end of an area instead of the start of the next area; it's a small thing I never would have thought of but it makes the pacing feel a lot better.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

A "gimmick" doesn't need to be anything mechanical; expanding on the location can be be great for making a level feel cohesive. It's not just "A level using the Castle theme", it's "a factory". It's not just "A level using the Desert theme", it's "An oasis".

Then you let that decision guide the rest of the design.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Help Im Alive posted:

Does it ever surprise anyone else how popular the SMB1 theme is?

In MM1 I thought it was because of the mystery mushrooms and IIRC SMB/NSMB were the only themes available when you first started, but it's still super popular in this one compared to like SMB3

The music for the desert and snow themes is great in SMB1 so no I'm not surprised.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

potatocubed posted:

Do coins mean anything in SMM, or are they just there as jump guides and sky writing?

They give you a 1up if you get 100 in Endless Mode. They also feel good to collect and make the level feel more like a real level.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Here's my first exploration level. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Rollersnake posted:

This... actually didn't take nearly as long to make as I thought it would, because the car handles very similarly to City Connection. I'm kinda shocked I managed to make a level that actually plays like the game it's based on, and I'm really curious to hear what City Connection fans (you exist, probably) think of this.

Everyone else—you all were dying to play a level that has the car and Meowser, right?!

I discovered City Connection for the first time a month ago when I saw it on the NES Classics thing on the Switch, and I hated it. Then I kept playing it for some reason and then I loved it. This level is perfect. Meowser simulates that loving cat perfectly.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Rollersnake posted:

...I have it out for snake block levels in general—I don't even like the official ones from Super Mario World, and I dunno if I'll ever play a level that changes my mind about them.

Rollersnake posted:

ROLLERSNAKE posted:

:thunk:

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Jam review of Slidetide Pools, guestwritten by Daughter Cedricson, age 5.

"This is a hard one. Why don't you try this part? *is told 'no, this is a kid's level* Maybe we should let Mommy try."

"I don't understand how slide jumps work." *Has it explained and demonstrated* Oh okay. *Takes a leap from the very top of the hill* I like to do it MY way."

"I like the room with the pipes. It is nice except for I never got to the pipe that 3 and 0 coin in there. [sic]"

"Can we play my level?"

Haschelnote: I thought this was a great level. I am so sorry.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

@DalaranJ: Apparently I mistyped the code for Mariokesh Bazaar. Can you change it to 5J2-2Y8-9HG?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Here's something I've been working on. Any suggestions before I add it to the spreadsheet?

Portobello Pyramid
TJ1-4YN-K1H

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Asema posted:

Not a big fan of the smaller thwomp right before the bigger thwomp but that's just me running past it on the first read and not dealing with it again.

The idea with the small one was to make the player slow down before accidentally running right into the big one.

Glad you liked the rest of the level, though.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Nep-Nep posted:

For this level I decided to intentionally make the worst level I could. I didn't want to make a level that was just hard or unfair or full of walls of enemies or whatever. I do promise that nothing like that is in this level. While there are a few invisible coinblocks, they don't softlock you or kill you or make you do large level portions over. I can't be 100% certain but I'm fairly sure there's no way to softlock in this level at all Unless you do the one really obvious foolish thing that is fairly telegraphed as a bad choice. There is also a death pit but it's like 3 seconds into the level and you'd have to choose to walk into it.

However, this is a bad level. I designed it to be as unfun as possible. There are checkpoints, but if you mess up and run out of time or do manage to die, you'll pretty much have to start over, because both checkpoints are at the beginning, to show my sincerity, in that I had to clear check this piece of garbage 3 times, not including general playtesting.

Super Bad Levelio World 2 1-1
CP3-0GL-7VF

Should you play this, I hope you get whatever it was you were looking for out of the experience, and I'm sorry in advance.

I think I got de facto softlocked near the end. I got to the red pipe dropping the helmet, went in the door, and a row of invisible blocks and springs stopped me from advancing. Then I thought maybe the red pipe was the way out but it didn't go anywhere. I acknowledge maybe I could have gone all the way back, but not with the amount of time I had left on the clock.

Anyway gently caress you but I also gave you a like so it shows up in Endless mode.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

What items actually interact with seesaws and are there any cool mechanics I can use them for? I keep having a bunch of ideas and then the seesaw just goes through everything.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

This is the best haunted house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS0yzHvQ3o4

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Taking a break from three consecutive Fire Emblem runs to come back to this:

EDIT: Removed while I fix a thing

EDIT2: New level code is
GX1-FM4-1RG
Watch For Flying Rocks

Haschel Cedricson fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 2, 2019

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

On one hand I'm excited about Pokey. On the other hand, all my desert levels featured fake Pokeys made out of Goombrats/Spinys and I don't want to remake them.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

In Training posted:

You can always hit the Retry button.

Sure, as long as you haven't hit a checkpoint yet.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Woo, enjoying this new patch.

Pipes & Pointy Things
Y1N-Y6F-62H

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Would there be any interest in making another set of themed levels like the Bayou or the Mario In Space project? It'd be cool to do something like that with the new pieces.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

In Training posted:

Well then here it is!

HCM - Spike's Snowy Vacation
5KB-R9K-XDF

Hot Chocolate Mountain it is, then.

HCM: Snowball Fight!
55V-XGF-0NF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

How does global ground work now? I'm trying to make a vertical subarea that has the N64 music play the entire time but no matter what I do it fades away when I leave the muncher with the music attached.