Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

In the time before time, the Great Spirit descended from the heavens, carrying we, the ones called the Matoran, to this island paradise. We were separate and without purpose, so the Great Spirit blessed us with the three virtues: unity, duty, and destiny. We embraced these gifts and, in gratitude, we named our island home Mata Nui, after the Great Spirit himself.

But our happiness was not to last. Mata Nui's brother, Makuta, was jealous of these honors and betrayed him. Makuta cast a spell over Mata Nui, who fell into a deep slumber. Makuta's power dominated the land, as fields withered away, sunlight grew cold, and ancient values were forgotten.

Still, all hope was not lost. Legends told of six mighty heroes, the Toa, who would arrive to save Mata Nui. Time would reveal that these were not simply myths - for the Toa did appear on the shores of the island. They arrive with no memory, no knowledge of one another - but they pledged to defend Mata Nui and its people against the darkness. Tahu, Toa of Fire. Onua, Toa of Earth. Gali, Toa of Water. Lewa, Toa of Air. Pohatu, Toa of Stone. And Kopaka, Toa of Ice. Great warriors with great power, drawn from the very elements themselves. Together, they were six heroes with one destiny: to defeat Makuta and save Mata Nui.

This is their story.

The Beach
1, 2

Ga-Koro
1, 2, 3

Ta-Koro
1. 2, 3

No spoilers please.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm on a beach. Huh.

I don't remember anything.

I feel like I'm being watched.

Behind me there's a big stone face. Creepy. Completely smooth, no handles or anything. I turn back around and head towards that big shiny thing.

It's a... canister? It's covered in seaweed. Ew.

There's footprints. Maybe I should follow them?

I hear someone hailing me. Turns out I was being watched. They're blue. Maybe I should go see what they say. Although, beyond them...

It's a bit awkward making my way past her, but there was something shiny in the distance.

A... telescope?

What should I do?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Use telescope

Oheao
Apr 12, 2019

Nazi Punks Fuck Off!
I have no idea what this game even is. Is it a Bionicle game or is that some reference that I didn't get?

Oheao
Apr 12, 2019

Nazi Punks Fuck Off!
Follow the footprints!

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Talk to the blue one!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Autodrop Monteur posted:

Talk to the blue one!

Sounds good to me.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It would be pretty rude to not at least say hi.

: Will you help me?

"Who are you?"

: My name is Maku of Ga-Koro. Ga-Koro lies between the sea and Lake Naho, down the coast.

: It's a great village of many Tohunga, and our leader is the Turaga Nokama. I fear much of it has been destroyed by now!

"What happened?"

: I - I was away when the Rahi attacked, and when I returned the monsters were everywhere, destroying everything in sight!

: Nokama and the others barricaded themselves into a hut to hide, but the Rahi broke the pump and the hut sank beneath the waves!

She elaborates on the plight of the Ga-Koronans.

Well, do I help the villagers stuck underwater, or do I do something else first? If so, what should I do instead?

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 28, 2019

Oheao
Apr 12, 2019

Nazi Punks Fuck Off!
Sure, why not help them.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Aw man this game was the poo poo back in 2nd Grade computer lab. So for the unaware this is an online adventure game for the first run of Bionicle around 2000, that released in episodic installments over the course of like a year. Initially all you could do was explore the beach and the telescope, then a month later a path we skipped was opened. The plight of the Ga-Koroans was like update 2 or 3. This game, with the comic books and the CDs that came with the action figures allowed you to get quickly absorbed by the lore of Bionicle.

Then things got stupid.

Anyway, I think you should succumb to your kleptomania

E: The boat to Ga-Koro was actually the first addition!

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 28, 2019

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Ahh. This right here is all of my nostalgia. This was one of the games I was raised on.

See if you can help those poor villagers.

Triskelli posted:

Aw man this game was the poo poo back in 2nd Grade computer lab. So for the unaware this is an online adventure game for the first run of Bionicle around 2000, that released in episodic installments over the course of like a year. Initially all you could do was explore the beach and the telescope, then a month later a path we skipped was opened. The plight of the Ga-Koroans was like update 2 or 3. This game, with the comic books and the CDs that came with the action figures allowed to to get quickly absorbed by the lore of Bionicle.

Then things got stupid.

Yeah, back in Ye Olden Days this was people's first contact with Bionicle: You just woke up, have no idea who you are, where the hell you are or what's going on, and all you know is that there are these strange-looking people asking for your help.

It was weird, and mysterious and really really cool. (He says with massive nostalgia goggles.)

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
God, depending on how you want to think about it this was either one of the early episodic games or the original early access game. I used to spend hours trying to figure out how to make progress only to find out that they hadn't added the next part of the story yet. What a weird game, I'm excited to see how it develops because I never had the patience to find out.

Get on the boat with the strange ...woman? Surely this can only end well.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Help the villagers, why not.

I remember this game, I played the hell out of it when I was a kid. Never quite got to the end back then, though.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Fun Fact: Lego Bionicle on the Game Boy Color is a prequel. It's not necessary to have played it to understand this game but there are some references to events in that game.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Oh man, I loved this game as a kid! Managed to make it all the way to the end too, though some parts along the way were really annoying for younger me.

Also this game has an amazing soundtrack, particularly the first theme. It's very striking when you wake up on the beach and you hear this: https://youtube.com/watch?v=d3C7H_xvwHs

See what the deal is with the telescope.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 28, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Interesting glitch I found that I'm not sure if it's native to the original game or the fan-preserved copy I'm using: If you back out of the conversation with Maku, you're on the beach again, but it's the one in Po-Wahi.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sure. Let's not leave the poor Ga-Koronans underwater more than they have to be.

"Yes, I will help you!"

I sounded like a hero. I think.

: Go to Ga-Koro and find Nokama. She is very wise and might have a plan for escape!

: I will try to find Gali. If the Rahi are near the village she is the only one who can defeat them. She's on a great quest and may be very far away.

: The only way to get to Ga-Koro from here is by sea, so you must take my boat, and I will search for the Toa on foot. Good luck! And tell Nokama I am safe!

For a boat ride to a destroyed village it was very picturesque.

Smoke on the horizon. That's pretty bad. Or might mean a big feast.

There's Ga-Koro.

Huh. Interesting security system. I turn around for a moment to appreciate the waterfall behind me.

One name comes to my mind: Gali. Dunno who that is, but that's the name that my brain is telling me that face belongs to. I forget what the mask itself is called, though.

Well, might as well throw some rocks on there.

As I put rocks on the scale, the blue dots move closer to each other.

Once they line up, the gate opens. A curious specimen of engineering.

These big lily pads can hold a surprising amount of weight. I better go survey the damage in the village.

Looks pretty bad. I'm no shipwright (I think), and that boat looks done for.

A few huts jut off from the village square. I pop my head into one.

Nice decorations.

There's a Lightstone on the table, but I don't have anywhere to put it and I might need use of both my hands. I put it back where I found it. Stealing is wrong, anyway.

I head towards the other hut which is off an offshoot. There's an interesting machine past it, though.

Some sort of pump? It's missing a piece anyway.
Suddenly I hear a voice coming from a pipe sticking up out of the water.

: Hurry my friend - you are our only hope!

"Maku sent me to rescue you!"

: Maku escaped? We were so worried about her!

: We are trapped here underwater! The door is stuck and we can't open it!

: If the village pumps are repaired, the hut will rise to the surface, and we can escape. The Rahi smashed them and the pieces fell into the water.

: If you can find the missing piece and put it back in the pump machine, it will float us back up!

: I left a Lightstone in my hut. It might help you see underwater. Please hurry!

"Hold on! I'll be back!"

: Hurry back! I don't know how much longer we can survive in here, and the Rahi may return!

I quickly look into the hut that I skipped past just now.

A portal to the sea, and a backpack. I don't think anyone would miss it at the moment, really.

Snazzy.

Now that I have permission to get the Lightstone and somewhere to put it when I don't need it, I head back to the big hut and grab it.

Let's dive in.

Wow, it's beautiful under here.

As I turn around underwater, I slowly realise with a sinking feeling that a lot of the local flora and fauna is gear-shaped.

I spot something shining in the background. Something hut-shaped.

Oh, hi. Better get working on saving you guys.

How am I supposed to tell apart the missing gear from the gear-shaped inhabitants of the deep?

Inventory: Lightstone

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You'll have to taste-test every gear-shaped object you can see. Look for something that's not edible, but not deadly poisonous either.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Shine the Lightstone on the gear-shaped Anemones

To reinforce what everyone else has said so far the music and animation in this game have to be seen. This game was done in flash, and absolutely set standards for presentation. It’s not exactly great, but it’s far beyond what’s called for in a free to play licensed product.

e: The language in the game is a simple custom alphabet: the gate unsurprisingly says “Ga Koro”

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 29, 2019

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

You got that Lightstone for a reason, use it to make sure what you're seeing is an actual gear.

Jossar posted:

Oh man, I loved this game as a kid! Managed to make it all the way to the end too, though some parts along the way were really annoying for younger me.

Also this game has an amazing soundtrack, particularly the first theme. It's very striking when you wake up on the beach and you hear this: https://youtube.com/watch?v=d3C7H_xvwHs

See what the deal is with the telescope.

Seconding this. That track does a fantastic job of immediately setting the tone for this whole adventure, and the first "season" of Bionicle in general.

Triskelli posted:

Shine the Lightstone on the gear-shaped Anemones

To reinforce what everyone else has said so far the music and animation in this game have to be seen. This game was done in flash, and absolutely set standards for presentation. It’s not exactly great, but it’s far beyond what’s called for in a free to play licensed product.

e: The language in the game is a simple custom alphabet: the gate unsurprisingly says “Ga Koro”

Also seconding this; though sadly talking about some of the best animated moments would be mega spoilers at the moment.

I really wanna :spergin: out about the setting because Bionicle was My Thing when I was younger, and unless someone stops me I might end up doing that when more details are revealed about the world.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 29, 2019

Oheao
Apr 12, 2019

Nazi Punks Fuck Off!
Well, the lightstone is your only item so I don't see any other options.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo blast from the loving past

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Awww gently caress yeah. I played the gently caress out of this game when it was still on the Bionicle site. I even completed it a few times, but that's so long ago I couldn't even begin to tell you how, other than vague recollections. This is going to be amazing.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

God, I played so much of this as a kid. I have a little pile of the spherical Bionicle guys...somewhere.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

hell yes this game

i remember spending so much time crafting sailcloth to sell for 60 coins because another guy would only pay me 40 or something

never actually worked out what to do with the money or how to become good at the football lacrosse game

Triskelli posted:

in a buried box that i have long since tossed out, i had written down all the symbols for all the letters and could read the text in this game freehand

i did not have many friends as a child

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lol I can still read most of the signs :reject:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Another random fact is that LEGO got a complaint from Maori tribes for their uncredited and extensive use of Polynesian words in making the Bionicle setting. The native name for Easter Island is Rapa Nui, while Bionicle is set in Mata Nui. This game still uses “Tohunga” (“skilled crafter” in Maori) as the name of the villagers, but that word was changed later in the series.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

where the red fern gropes posted:

hell yes this game

i remember spending so much time crafting sailcloth to sell for 60 coins because another guy would only pay me 40 or something

never actually worked out what to do with the money or how to become good at the football lacrosse game

That's actually the second Bionicle web browser game.

Next update maybe tomorrow, Shadowbringers is taking up all my free time.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Poor Ibblebibble, thought of underwater gears and drowned :smith:

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
Oh my gooooooood I forgot about this game. A surprisingly solid adventure game - I feel like I checked back every day to see if it had updated.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Triskelli posted:

Poor Ibblebibble, thought of underwater gears and drowned :smith:

For what it's worth, I've been mainlining Shadowbringers for the past... 5 days or so? I finished it now so I should have something up tomorrow.

Makuta is a secret Ascian.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Out of curiousity, how/where are you playing this? I'd like to go through again for nostalgia's sake.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

biosterous posted:

Out of curiousity, how/where are you playing this? I'd like to go through again for nostalgia's sake.

Here you go. I put the link in the OP too.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Let's go gear hunting.

Not shiny.

Not shiny.

Shiny!

It's just a regular gear. Not damaged, thankfully.

I rush back to the surface and shove the gear back on its axle. Hope it still works.

Aha. I am a genius.

Welcome back guys! What are we all looking at?

Ah.

Oh Mata Nui we're gonna die and I don't even know my name

Phew. Looks like a Toa is on the case.

Sadly I'm not a betting Tohunga. Although I don't think anyone would bet against the Toa.

Sick moves.

She leaps onto the beast's back. Certainly an interesting strategy.

Well that's not... good.

I would like to be the first to say that I never lost faith in you, Gali.

We'll explore the village some other time.

Aug 24, 2011

i remember the different masks give different powers, so most of the villagers have the sort of triangle masks and the guy in front has a round mask and none of the masks do anything, but the big person has a scuba mask which lets her breathe underwater

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this is hitting me right in the childhood

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

where the red fern gropes posted:

i remember the different masks give different powers, so most of the villagers have the sort of triangle masks and the guy in front has a round mask and none of the masks do anything, but the big person has a scuba mask which lets her breathe underwater

If I remember right, the general rule is either that the masks the matoran wear have no power, the masks the turaga wear have a small amount and the Toa's masks have the full amount of power or that matoran can't draw out any of the mask's power, turaga can draw out some of it and Toa can draw out all of it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

savixeon posted:

If I remember right, the general rule is either that the masks the matoran wear have no power, the masks the turaga wear have a small amount and the Toa's masks have the full amount of power

This is the one. Gali wears a “Great Mask”, the Turaga has a “Noble Mask” and the Turaga just wear masks. Lego had blind bags for the masks, but you could get any of them in any color.

Aug 24, 2011

i remember i had one or two golden ones. probably still got them somewhere, if they aren't broken from being buried at the bottom of a box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Everyone seems pretty happy that they didn't all die horribly to a Rahi attack.
I pop into the smaller hut on the left to say hi.

: Have you any other questions for me? The heavens are in turmoil, and I must chart their fluctuations.

"Any other"? I haven't actually asked anything yet. Let's change that.

"Who are you?"

: I am the astrologer. I watch the stars, and the water.

"What are you doing?"

: I am charting changes in the skies. Many important things are happening around Mata Nui, and many more will happen. I use the telescope on the cliff. It tells me what will happen, and when.

"How do I use the telescope?"

: It's very simple. Around the base of the telescope are pictures. They are constellations, patterns of stars in the night sky, and markings that show the prophecies of legends.

: Each picture has a red star in it. When the Red Star reaches a certain place in the heavens, it means something important will happen here on Mata Nui: one of the prophecies.

: When you look through the telescope, you will see many stars, and one of them is the Red Star.

: Look at the constellations near the Red Star. They will look like the ones in the pictures. When the Red Star is exactly where it is shown in one of the pictures, then a prophecy may come true.

: If something changes in the sky, it is my job to change the pictures, so that I can better see the future. Even though we Tohunga remember the prophecies, nothing is certain... the future can change.

: If you can read the numbers in the telescope, it is even easier to tell the future.

"Goodbye."

: Goodbye.

Well that was a lovely chat. Let's drop in on the big hut where I got the Lightstone.

Oh. It's Turaga Nokama's hut.

: Your eyes are filled with questions about the mysteries of Mata Nui, my friend. Giving you some of the answers you seek is small payment for your deeds, but I offer you what knowledge I can.

: Our astrologer has seen great changes in the skies, and has read the dark future of Mata Nui. The Toa have come and begun their mighty quests to save us from the Makuta.

: And yet here, in the midst of this upheaval, are you, a brave wanderer in this dangerous land.

: How may I help you?

"Who am I?"

: I think someone has plans for you that are greater than your stature would suggest. Perhaps you are to be a hero like the Toa. I do not know.

: The Tohunga have forgotten their civilization. Even the Turaga do not have record of all that has come before.

: But the ocean remembers. Like history, the water holds many secrets in its forbidden depths. It surrounds Mata Nui, and covers it; it watches the island as it sleeps, and remembers. It caught the Toa gently when they descended, and delivered them to us.

: You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.

Well that was a lot of words for a lovely non-answer.

"Who is Gali?" Maybe she'll stay on topic if she's not being all mysterious.

: Gali the Toa of water, the great hero of Ga-Koro. Like the other Toa, she descended from the heavens to save us from the Makuta. She is wise, and strong, and quick.

: Gali is the protector of the sea, and of the lakes and rivers that feed it. Her Mask of Power lets her breathe freely beneath the waves.

"What of Maku?"

: Maku often sneaks out of the village to spy on Huki, the Koli champion. She tells me she is just practicing her boating, but I know the truth. And it is far too dangerous for her to be outside the village now. For her own safety I will forbid her to go, even though her wandering saved us this time.

: If, in your travels to Po-Koro, you should meet Huki, tell him she is safe. He may have heard of the attack and will be worried.

"Thank you, goodbye."

: Good luck, brave adventurer.

I quickly visit the hut that the Ga-Koronans were stuck in for a while.

... You know, without the infected mask, that Rahi almost looks... cute.

Back in the village square. I dip into the hut.

Hmm. Looks like we might want to head to Po-Koro soon-ish.

Should we head back to Ta-Wahi, where the telescope and footprints are? Or should we check in on Po-Wahi, which might be having a bit of a crisis?